Circuit City Store Closing Deals on CECBs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went to my local CC, which is liquidating. CECB's are 10% off, currently, and they have big stacks of the Zenith DTT901 and Apex models, IIRC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood_donor View Post

I went to my local CC, which is liquidating. CECB's are 10% off, currently, and they have big stacks of the Zenith DTT901 and Apex models, IIRC.

I seen that is 10% great? Do they still take coupons? Linen and things gives 20% and NO coupons or exchanges. I think CC might be the same.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't ask, but there was no indication that they wouldn't take the government coupons (no signs or stickers). The signs that were posted simply said "No Checks, Cash or Credit Only", "All Sales Final".
Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
10% with no government coupon? Blech!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I went to the local Circuit City looking for a cheap box and theirs weren't on sale at all! Full price for the DTT901.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Trip: the 10% off is only at locations that are closing.

Lexus, Allargon: I think they still would take the NTIA coupon.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

...which eventually will be all of them.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Lexus, Allargon: I think they still would take the NTIA coupon.

Yes, I know, everything in the store was on sale except the converter boxes.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 11-13-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Then if you have a K-mart in your area that stocks the Zenith that would be a better buy. I've read they normally sell the Zenith 901 for $49.99 or almost 20% less than CC. Seeing how many Zeniths my local CC sells my guess is it's kind of their cash cow. Seems like 1 out of 10 people leaving the store is carrying a Zenith
Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
It was that way when the coupons first came out, but it's sort of slowed down here. Another reason why they're closing this one, I guess (which is actually almost right across the street from me, and walking distance - hate to see it go for that reason. I used to walk over there for exercise and to kill time occasionally. We do have others a few miles away, though).

I was in there yesterday, and although all the other good stuff has been picked through (which I was half-expecting, since I waited a week to go there - really was most disappointed to see that with the CD's, which were 20% off and dirt cheap), they still had plenty of Zenith's. Maybe 3 or 4 Apex's, too.

Kmart actually had a few in stock last time I was there (they always had the tag, but were always out - plenty of Magnavox's and DTVPal's, though), so I won't buy it from CC unless it goes down to less. I'll just go over there every few days and check.

Almost everything they had that was any good was sold, and the remaining things that weren't were either display models, or stuff that they jacked the price up on first, and then "discounted" (for example, they had one Sony RM-VL600 remote left, which has a return button which actually works on my Sony DVR, even though the original remote doesn't have that feature. You can get it anywhere else for $25.00, but they had "Was $34.99, now $29.99" on it. Last time I looked at it there, it was $25.00. Almost as bad as Tweeter when they closed here. They wanted way too much for most of the stuff, and a lot of it was beat up junk used in trade-ups and crappy-looking display models. You know - flat panels that had been running 12 hours a day, seven days a week, for 6 or 8 months, some even up to a year straight. And audio gear which had been sitting out and getting manhandled for two or three years straight).
Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

It was that way when the coupons first came out, but it's sort of slowed down here. Another reason why they're closing this one, I guess (which is actually almost right across the street from me, and walking distance - hate to see it go for that reason. I used to walk over there for exercise and to kill time occasionally. We do have others a few miles away, though).

I was in there yesterday, and although all the other good stuff has been picked through (which I was half-expecting, since I waited a week to go there - really was most disappointed to see that with the CD's, which were 20% off and dirt cheap), they still had plenty of Zenith's. Maybe 3 or 4 Apex's, too.

Kmart actually had a few in stock last time I was there (they always had the tag, but were always out - plenty of Magnavox's and DTVPal's, though), so I won't buy it from CC unless it goes down to less. I'll just go over there every few days and check.

Almost everything they had that was any good was sold, and the remaining things that weren't were either display models, or stuff that they jacked the price up on first, and then "discounted" (for example, they had one Sony RM-VL600 remote left, which has a return button which actually works on my Sony DVR, even though the original remote doesn't have that feature. You can get it anywhere else for $25.00, but they had "Was $34.99, now $29.99" on it. Last time I looked at it there, it was $25.00. Almost as bad as Tweeter when they closed here. They wanted way too much for most of the stuff, and a lot of it was beat up junk used in trade-ups and crappy-looking display models. You know - flat panels that had been running 12 hours a day, seven days a week, for 6 or 8 months, some even up to a year straight. And audio gear which had been sitting out and getting manhandled for two or three years straight).

That's the way it seems to me. People who are buying converter boxes or anything during the closing of Circuit City stores are nuts or just don't shop around. These are no deals at 10% off. Their prices are higher then most anyway. Plus you can not return it. The only way I would buy from them is a TV for 60% off. But all the idiots would of bought it for 10%.

My CC is next to costco and Costco prices always are better then CC.

I will check back in a week or two if the signs change to 60% or even 50% and see what is left
Old 11-13-2008, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Lexus you talking the one by the source mall? I never liked CC specially when they had their 15% restocking fee. What killed them was Walmart and Costco which are both there and target which came in after incredible universe died.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The run on a store that is having a "Going Out of Business" sale is crazy. I've seen lots of stores go out of business and it never ceases to amaze me how ignorant people are that become part of this "Mob Mentallity."
Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 View Post

Lexus you talking the one by the source mall? I never liked CC specially when they had their 15% restocking fee. What killed them was Walmart and Costco which are both there and target which came in after incredible universe died.

No not that one.

Costco will take back things a year old. That is why they do so well. Kills the supplier though
Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

The run on a store that is having a "Going Out of Business" sale is crazy. I've seen lots of stores go out of business and it never ceases to amaze me how ignorant people are that become part of this "Mob Mentallity."

they offer a lousy 10% off and people think it is a deal? After they raise the price to full retail
Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Yes, I know, everything in the store was on sale except the converter boxes.

Well, the CC on Touhy Avenue in Niles, Illinois, had the Apex and Zenith converter boxes marked down 10% from $59.99 to $53.99.

But as some others have said, there were many items that always were on sale but for which the touted discounts were applied to full retail prices, making them more expensive during the liquidation than they had been while the store was staying in business.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, the CC on Touhy Avenue in Niles, Illinois, had the Apex and Zenith converter boxes marked down 10% from $59.99 to $53.99.

But as some others have said, there were many items that always were on sale but for which the touted discounts were applied to full retail prices, making them more expensive during the liquidation than they had been while the store was staying in business.

Thats the old trick. Raise the price to FULL retail price and then start to discount. So even at 50% discount you are only saving 25% off the orginal discount prices
Old 11-14-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Best Buy dropped the price on their APEX models to around $54 about a month ago.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:32 PM

The Circuit City near Hickory Hollow Mall (Antioch) in Nashville is closing. I went there on Wednesday. They had lots of boxes of Zenith 901s for 49.99. There was a sign that said "Convertor boxes 20% off". Most things in the store were only 10% off. Of course, that is 10% off of full retail, so it really isn't a deal. There were lots of people in the store when I went, but I really didn't see anyone buying anything. The employees were walking around as if in a daze and didn't seem to be trying to help anyone.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

My CC just changed sign to 30% off

I guess that will be going to 50, 60 ,70 ,80
Old 11-18-2008, 10:20 PM

I my previous post I said that the Circuit City closest to me had Zenith boxes for $49.99 at 20% off. I went back the next day and they were $59.99 at 10% off. I think that is what they were to begin with. I think that I just "mis-remembered". (Don't you love that phrase? -- like when someone gets caught in a lie and they are questioned on TV about it and the person says "I mis-remembered")

Anyway, when I went back, I was going to go ahead and buy one, but I could not get anyone to help me. There appeared to be only 3 employees total on the sales floor. One guy was helping a customer in the Speaker section and the other 2 were totally in their own world discussing their plans for rearranging some of the merchandise.

When I finally got the attention of one of them - they told me to go up front to the customer support desk. When I got there, both ladies were on the phone. One lady saw me with the box and said "Someone on the sales floor can help you with that". I said, "No, they sent me up here". She acted real annoyed. I stood there about 45 seconds before just putting the box on the counter announcing to everyone "It's just not worth it!" and walking out of the store.

It was truly pathetic there. Everything looks to be in dis-array. There are no real deals yet. The big sign out front says "Up to 30% off", yet most everything in the store is marked "10%" off and that is 10% off of normal price - not really a good deal. But I guess if I worked there and knew I was losing my job, I wouldn't be very enthusiastic about helping anyone either.

At least when Tweeter closed their stores in the Nashville area, the employees were very friendly and helpful.