Problems with Digital Stream - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-15-2008, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am 77 years old. Have a 1991 RCA TV. Bought a Digital Stream converter box from Radio Shack and hooked it up. Set for channel 4 (3 is in use in our area).The converter box has a universal remote. Checked all posibilites for the remote and found several which would turn off the TV but none would turn it back on. When I turned it back on with the old remote, the screen showed welcome "set up wizard" with select and next options. Select was direction 4 arrows and an OK in center for choice of language (English was there). None of the arrows work neith does the select nor next. Setup wizard goes no further. I can't even shut off the converter box with the remote. I have to pull the plug. Is the set to old or what can be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-15-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy2530 View Post

I am 77 years old. Have a 1991 RCA TV. Bought a Digital Stream converter box from Radio Shack and hooked it up. Set for channel 4 (3 is in use in our area).The converter box has a universal remote. Checked all posibilites for the remote and found several which would turn off the TV but none would turn it back on. When I turned it back on with the old remote, the screen showed welcome "set up wizard" with select and next options. Select was direction 4 arrows and an OK in center for choice of language (English was there). None of the arrows work neith does the select nor next. Setup wizard goes no further. I can't even shut off the converter box with the remote. I have to pull the plug. Is the set to old or what can be done?

It sounds like you have two different issues with the DS remote control, one controlling the TV, the other controlling the DS box.

For the TV, some older RCA's use two keys for power, one for on, one for off. You may have to try some of the other remote keys to find which one controls power on. To start, I would try the channel up button, and go from there.

For the DS box, it may be a bad remote or bad IR receiver on the box. Try replacing the batteries with ones you know are new and work correctly. If that doesn't work, exchange the box for a new one.

It doesn't matter how old your TV is, any digital converter box will work.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 3 Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Brandy, I don't have a DS, but I have a 1982 tv. I didn't find a code on my Zenith that turns my tv on/off, but everything else works. Before you return it as a bad remote, I'd start with new batteries; even if your CECB remote doesn't control the tv, it should control its own functions.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page