Converter box does not address cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Zenith 901 that I thought was a good digital to analog converter. It does OTA great but does not add digital channels through my cable service like my Sony Wega or Vizio sets will. My cable service has added 30 something channels to it's basic service. Of course the analog sets will not recognize them but my newer sets will. Why won't the converter pick it up I'm wondering? I thought these boxes were supposed to do what new HD TV's do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-17-2008, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40jays View Post

I have a Zenith 901 that I thought was a good digital to analog converter. It does OTA great but does not add digital channels through my cable service like my Sony Wega or Vizio sets will. My cable service has added 30 something channels to it's basic service. Of course the analog sets will not recognize them but my newer sets will. Why won't the converter pick it up I'm wondering? I thought these boxes were supposed to do what new HD TV's do.

By law, a CECB will not work with cable. All they do is receive Digital TV signals, and downconvert them for use with older standard TV's.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 6 Old 11-17-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I wonder why the law allows TV sets to do so then. Wouldn't it be the same difference?
post #4 of 6 Old 11-17-2008, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When Ken said "Digital TV signals" he meant "over-the-air digital TV signals from an antenna."

The CECBs that are the subject of this forum are specifically aimed at converting over-the-air digital channels to analog for use with old analog-only TVs. The government is subsidizing these boxes because they're taking away the over-the-air analog channels.

The government is not taking away analog cable channels, so why should it subsidize cable converter boxes?

There are some boxes that pick up both over-the-air (ATSC) and cable (QAM) digital channels. But they're not subsidized by the government so you have to pay more for them. These boxes are discussed next door in the "HDTV Technical" forum. Note that these boxes pick up only channels that your cable company does not encrypt. Most cable companies encrypt all their digital channels except the local broadcast channels and a few odds and ends.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-17-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Yes, the converter boxes are for OTA viewers that don't have cable or satellite, or are hooking it to a TV without those services.

People with cable and satellite are expected to get their equipment from their provider.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #6 of 6 Old 11-17-2008, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40jays View Post

The CECBs are doing EXACTLY what they were designed / speced for - provide for older NTSC TVs that receive OTA signals so they can now get the ATSC signals that are the new standard. They were NOT designed to do anything with cable (unless your cable company is a maverick that is using ATSC / 8VSB over their cable plant).

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Closed Thread Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page