How does your brand CECB handle channel reassignments or new channels. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Channel reassignment here is defined as an existing channel, changing it's real channel number.
The virtual channel number (what you see on your tuner) may or may not change.

Channel reassignments are are already occurring and are handled differently by various brand CECB's.
If you have personal experience with how your brand CECB handled a channel reassignment, please post with as much detail as possible.
How user friendly is your brand?

Please don't post speculation on this topic if you don't have personal experience with channels being reassigned.
Also, if you must rotate or switch antennas, make note of that because that may alter your results.

How your CECB handles new channels that didn't previously exist, can also be posted. Some CECB's will automatically find new channels.

Beeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had seven sub-channels move to another existing channel. Both the real channel number and the virtual channel numbers changed.

When this occurred, the Zenith automatically added the new channels and automatically deleted the old channels from the channel list.
It did so without any message, so the viewer wouldn't have been alerted to the change without having prior knowledge of it.

New channels are also added automatically without any message that the viewer would see.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had seven sub-channels move to another existing channel. Both the real channel number and the virtual channel numbers changed.

When this occurred, the DTVPal automatically added the new channels and gave a "new channels found" message listing new channel numbers
when it was powered on. The DTVPal did not automatically remove the old channels. I manually deleted them from the channel list.

New channels are automatically found and a message alerts the viewer of the new channel number(s).
post #4 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have limited experience with this brand. None with channel reassignments.

New channels aren't automatically added. If you know that a new channel exists you can do an auto program (rescan)
or add single channels by typing the real channel number using the remote and it will be added to the channel list, if it is tunable.
If the new channel is not tunable at the time you try to add it, there isn't any signal strength meter available to adjust your antenna.
You would have to aim your antenna to the known tower location, try to add the channel again, and then fine tune from there.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
DTVPAL - autoadds. Haven't had any "moves" yet.

Philco TB100HH9- - does not autodetect new channels- either rescan or manually add the RF channel number,

I plan on rescanning all ATSC tuners on D-Day.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #6 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

When this occurred, the DTVPal automatically added the new channels and gave a "new channels found" message listing new channel numbers
when it was powered on. The DTVPal did not automatically remove the old channels. I manually deleted them from the channel list.

New channels are automatically found and a message alerts the viewer of the new channel number(s).

That's weird Beeper. My aunt says a few stations have changed numbers (48 to 55), for example The old station has been deleted and the new station was there. Then these stations went back to original numbers. Same process. Old number deleted and new number was just there.

She has no extra channels that have no signal.

The auto setup of the DTV pal saves me the 2 1/2 hour drive round trip to re-scan the box. This is why I like this box so much
post #7 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did check the channel list and deleted the old numbers the next day after the change had occurred overnight.
Maybe if I waited for the unit to do the next maintenance it would have deleted the old channels with an automatic channel scan.

I haven't had any other reassignments since. Next time I'll wait to see if the old channels get deleted during maintenance.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

The auto setup of the DTV pal saves me the 2 1/2 hour drive round trip to re-scan the box. This is why I like this box so much

If it didn't automatically rescan on its own, couldn't you talk your over the telephone through the procedure?
post #9 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 02:40 PM

Liked: 30
I'm sure lexus could; however, not everyone has a friend or relative that can help. With all this frequency jumping, auto-scan is a great feature for the technophobes of the world (What do you mean it's on a different channel? It's still channel 9, isn't it?)

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-09-2009, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yesterday I had an existing main channel add three sub-channels.

I happen to notice the new channels while channel surfing with a Zenith DTT901.
The Zenith added the three new sub-channels without any type of notification.

One of the new sub-channels had been an existing low power main channel.
The old low power channel was still sending a signal at the old frequency with "no service" as the program title.

I had two Echostar TR-40CRA (F105) set up. Neither unit automatically found the new sub-channels.
On one unit I added the new subs with a single channel scan to "add channels".
I used the "scan for new channels" feature to add the new subs on the other unit.

Likewise, the old low power channel was still sending a signal at the old frequency with "no service" as the program title.

Beeper
post #11 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

June 12th 2009. D day!

Today one local channel changed their RF frequency from 61 to 18.
It was interesting to see how various digital tuners handled it. Or should I say mishandled.

My 2009 Toshiba HDTV lost the channel and I could not manually add it using the new RF frequency. A full channel rescan fixed it.

My Zenith DTT 901 added the single channel using manual add. I powered it on later and the new channel was showing no signal.
I did another single channel scan to add the channel, but I noticed that the old channel was still in the line up with the same virtual channel number.
So I now had two channels with the same number on the channel list. I manually deleted the old channel.

My DTV Pal Plus: I deleted the old channel. I tried "add a new channel" with the proper RF number and got nothing.
I then did a complete channel scan and got a virtual channel 70, RF channel 61, the old RF channel that had no signal on my other tuners.
I deleted the channel and tried again with the same results.
I had to do a factory reset and start from scratch and it found the proper RF and virtual channel numbers.

My TR-40: I deleted the old channel and used add a new channel using the new RF #, and it add the channel properly. (Different tuner vs. Pal Plus.)
post #12 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My Zenith converter also failed to add a channel today. 40.1 and 40.2 (rf55), changed to rf40 today. I'm gonna wait til after midnight, and do a new scan. I did a manual tune for rf40 and found the channels.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 09:50 PM

Please disregard what I posted here before - I was confused and it was wrong.

In Detroit MI only virtual CH 2 was scheduled to change from RF 58 to RF 07.

Both the Tivax STB-T8 and Apex DT502 have made no changes automatically - virtual channel 2 is displaying no signal on both. This is without any changes to the antenna position or a rescan.

After performing an "Add On Scan" on the Tivax STB-T8 from it's menu, it moved virtual 7-3 to 7-5 and didn't attempt to display virtual 7-3 or 7-4 when using the CH^ button. When I pressed 7-3>OK it showed the virtual 2-1(RF 07-1) broadcast, and when I pressed 7-4>OK it showed virtual 2-2(RF 07-1) - after this both 7-3 and 7-4 were accessible when using the CH buttons. After performing a "Full Auto Scan" RF 07 is properly mapped to virtual channel 2 and virtual channel 7 has only it's usual two sub-channels.

After unplugging the Apex DT502 virtual channel 2 disappeared from the line-up (I didn't try this with the Tivax). After performing "Auto Scan" from it's menu, it picks up RF 07 and maps it to virtual channel 2. The Apex gets much worse reception on this VHF RF 07 than does the Tivax with the same antenna in the same position.

I am seeing channels on analog UHF that I've never noticed before - Channels 49, 38 and 24.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 01:19 PM

Liked: 11
"So I now had two channels with the same number on the channel list. I manually deleted the old channel."
I did firstly Add on Scan, it did the same doubling wABC7.wPIX11.wNET13.IOn31- 12new found channels, the new ones were active the old ones location were dead - no picture, instead of doing 12 deletion I did Full Scan.
Right now in Brooklyn I have 34 active channels, but there is so much commercials
every time I change the channel first thing you see ads, ch39 first two the same then the 3.4.5. same bloody commercials on all 3ch.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

If you have personal experience with how your brand CECB handled a channel reassignment, please post with as much detail as possible.

Beeper

This D/S box is popular in my area. Two stations changed RF on Friday. The other changed on Saturday. I rescanned twice on Friday. WHBF was lost due to VHF-LO. KWQC changed from RF56 to RF36. No problems there. On Saturday, KIIN changed to RF12 from RF45. The rescan showed two entries for each KIIN sub-channel. I went to Channel Edit page and unchecked the add box for each RF45. I did this for each person that owned this unit.

Bob 61231
post #16 of 17 Old 06-18-2009, 10:28 PM

These RCA boxes do a complete scan. They delete the previous channels during each scan. No problems with either the old one and the newer analog pass through model.

Bob 61231
post #17 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
D-Day - 5 RF channels moved within an hour - I had to rescan everything (and that's ALOT of tuners in my house). 3 DTVPALs, 1 DTVPAL DVR, 1 HDTV, 1 Insignia CRT, 1 Philco TB100HH9, 1 Samsung DTB-H260F, 1 Tuner card in my PC - ALL had to be rescanned (if they were in use at the time), and again the next morning (the local PBS network moved at midnight).

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page