A question for solidsignal.com CECB customers... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 189 Old 11-22-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you ordered a CECB from solidsignal.com did they just slap a shipping label on the retail "shelf" box and send it out or did they put the CECB box into a real shipping box and send it?

For those of you who bought two CECBs, did solidsignal.com just tape the two retail "shelf" boxes together and slap a label on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 189 Old 11-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My Zinwell was sent in the original package - no additional shipping box. The box was pretty chewed up but the converter wasn't harmed.
post #3 of 189 Old 11-22-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
My CM-7000 from them came packed pretty well. Arrived at my doorstep in less than 24 hours, too.
post #4 of 189 Old 11-22-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I purchased a Centronics ZAT 501 HD tuner from Solid Signal. The original box was enclosed inside a larger box with "blankets" all around. The Centronics was DOA and returned. The replacement came in the Centroics box with an address label affixed.

This replacement Centronics was also defective and it was returned directly to Centronics. Centronics' replacement came double boxed with good packing.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 189 Old 11-22-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I had plastic air pillow packets packed around mine.
post #6 of 189 Old 11-22-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I had plastic air pillow packets packed around mine.

When I said "blankets" I was referring to air pillows.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #7 of 189 Old 11-22-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't remember. I think they came in another box with air pillows. I had ordered an RCA B1 and Zinwell 970A.
post #8 of 189 Old 11-22-2008, 02:44 PM

When I ordered one in July, it was packed pretty well in a Fedex box. When my brother ordered the same model in September, it was shipped in only the manufacturer's box.
post #9 of 189 Old 11-22-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

I've noticed increasing chatter around the web regarding solidsignal.com just slapping a label on the retail box and quite a few people (and I) find that practice objectionable.

I have a low tolerance for businesses that charge more than actual shipping cost and then don't properly pack the product especially when FedEx will give solidsignal.com FREE shipping boxes. Whether greed or a lack of consideration and respect for the customer's property it is a bad business practice.

How about ordering something as to give as a gift only to receive a labeled and beat up retail box?

Wonder how well solidsignal.com will accept a return in a ragged out box? "Sorry sir, we can't resell that product the box is all beat up and labeled so NO RETURN".

I'll be voting with my wallet and shopping elsewhere for my CECBs.

Thanks for the replies.
post #10 of 189 Old 11-22-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
My first box (about the time CECB were first available with coupons) from Solid signal was in an outside box. My 2nd (the DTVPAL Plus) (rather recently) was just a label on the retail box.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #11 of 189 Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by subeluvr View Post

I've noticed increasing chatter around the web regarding solidsignal.com just slapping a label on the retail box and quite a few people (and I) find that practice objectionable.

Why? CECB's are a very low margin sale. The less they spend, the more it makes the whole process worthwhile. Your speculation about what kind of a return they would accept is just that, speculation.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #12 of 189 Old 11-23-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

CECB's are a very low margin sale.

True, although what some companies are charging for shipping I think that's where they make their money
He has a good point about gifting though. I also wouldn't want to give a CECB as a gift if the box was all beat up and had labels all over it.
My guess is, and it's only a guess, if requested Solidsignal would double box your order. Otherwise it's probably up to who ever ships it. I would also guess that if you order more than one CECB or other items it may be shipped in a separate box. It would be cheaper for them than several individual boxes.
In this economy companies have to do whatever they can to survive.
post #13 of 189 Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

True, although what some companies are charging for shipping I think that's where they make their money
He has a good point about gifting though. I also wouldn't want to give a CECB as a gift if the box was all beat up and had labels all over it.
My guess is, and it's only a guess, if requested Solidsignal would double box your order. Otherwise it's probably up to who ever ships it. I would also guess that if you order more than one CECB or other items it may be shipped in a separate box. It would be cheaper for them than several individual boxes.
In this economy companies have to do whatever they can to survive.

From comments I've read, ordering two CECBs from Solidsignal simply gets the two retail boxes taped together, labeled, and shipped.

Following the order procedure I didn't find the opportunity to "request" adequate packaging or make any other request or notation for the order.
post #14 of 189 Old 11-23-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Why? CECB's are a very low margin sale. The less they spend, the more it makes the whole process worthwhile. Your speculation about what kind of a return they would accept is just that, speculation.

So, the less the margin the less service we should expect?

A great business model and one that is proving to be a painful lesson for failing businesses in today's economy.

With numerous posts on this forum, and others, regarding Solidsignal's reluctance to accept even DOA product in return and their policy to push those customers off to the manufacturers my speculation about returns is more than that.

JMO, and while I respect yours... I disagree.
post #15 of 189 Old 11-23-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
subeluvr, I ordered my CECBs from Starkelectronic.com and they were shipped in separate boxes. I had a problem with one of the boxes and they said just ship it back and they would ship me a new one. They would pay shipping to me but I'd have to pay shipping to them. I think this seems to be the norm.
They were only a little more shipping for 2 CECBs while Solidsignal on the other hand wanted almost twice the shipping for 2 boxes. It's the main reason I went with Stark. The box prices were basically the same. Note this was many months ago and Stark's selection was nothing like SolidSignals. I know they sell the Channel Master CM-7000 but I'm not sure if they sell any other CECBs.
So for me anyway shipping was a major factor in deciding what company to buy from.
Good luck whoever you get yours from
post #16 of 189 Old 11-23-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Besides the shipping issue what I find objectionable with SolidSignal is their limit of 2 CECBs. BTW, I ordered 2 CECBs and another item. One CECB was with just with a label while the 2nd box contained the CECB and the other item. You can't tell me that it wouldn't have been cheaper to put all 3 items into one box.
post #17 of 189 Old 11-23-2008, 03:39 PM

Two ZAT-970a's were taped together in retail packaging, and arrived unharmed. I was satisfied. The contents were fine.

However, an order placed 11/20 after normal business hours has shown no activity to date....

tom
post #18 of 189 Old 11-24-2008, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, this is how my TR-40s came from SS...

Whatever. They arrived fine, so I don't care. Plus, this is how Echostar ships them.
post #19 of 189 Old 11-24-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios View Post

Yep, this is how my TR-40s came from SS...
Whatever. They arrived fine, so I don't care. Plus, this is how Echostar ships them.

Actually those are respectable boxes and if you look on the bottom of the box I think you'll find a round printed label from a testing facility noting that those boxes exceed minimum shipping requirements. Most CECBs I've seen have pretty colored (and printed up) thin, not corrugated, cardboard "retail" boxes never meant for shipping.
post #20 of 189 Old 11-24-2008, 08:28 AM

Shipping label stuck on the retail box -- on all five boxes I've purchased from them. Seems odd, but there has never been any damage as a result.

Larry
post #21 of 189 Old 11-24-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeluvr View Post

Actually those are respectable boxes and if you look on the bottom of the box I think you'll find a round printed label from a testing facility noting that those boxes exceed minimum shipping requirements. Most CECBs I've seen have pretty colored (and printed up) thin, not corrugated, cardboard "retail" boxes never meant for shipping.

They look stronger than they are. I can assure you these don't meet any shipping box requirements. They're probably one step up from the boxes you're referring to.
post #22 of 189 Old 11-24-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

They look stronger than they are. I can assure you these don't meet any shipping box requirements. They're probably one step up from the boxes you're referring to.

The boxes in your picture are corrugated and more shipable(?) than thin cardboard retail boxes.

I suspect that since Dish ships most all of the CECBs they are using a box that is a cut or two above a shelf box.
post #23 of 189 Old 11-24-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
My DTVPAL Plus came in a retail box (no packing box), but given the way they are packed inside - no biggie. Yes - I ordered it from Solid Signal.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #24 of 189 Old 11-24-2008, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

If they are outside the retail boxes and provide a second layer, then even that is an improvement over slapping labels on the retail boxes themselves.
post #25 of 189 Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 AM

Ordered two TR-40's and a Winegard preamp from SolidSignal around the 10th of November. All of it was packed together in a big shipping box.
post #26 of 189 Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 PM

I ordered a Channel Master CECB from SummitSource.com. I ordered it last week on the 18th. It arrived yesterday in the US Mail. It was just in the original box with no extra packing material. They did take some of the transparent packaging tape and go all the way around the box letting it lap over the top so that the box would not come open. Fortunately, there did not seem to be any damage to the box. I opened the box and took everyting out and read the manual but have not had time yet to hook it up.

Robert
post #27 of 189 Old 12-01-2008, 07:17 PM

I picked up my CM-7000 today at FedEx. It was shipped in the manufacturer's box with a label slapped on it, and all of the "hold" information scribbled on it in Sharpie. There was a hole in the top of the box, but the unit didn't seem to be damaged.
As far as returns go, there are no returns at Solid Signal for these government subsidized boxes.
I rather wish I could have found this unit around town. I prefer my Zenith 901, and now cannot return the Channel Master. Plus it cost me $8.95 for shipping.
post #28 of 189 Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlygig View Post

I picked up my CM-7000 today at FedEx. It was shipped in the manufacturer's box with a label slapped on it, and all of the "hold" information scribbled on it in Sharpie. There was a hole in the top of the box, but the unit didn't seem to be damaged.
As far as returns go, there are no returns at Solid Signal for these government subsidized boxes.
I rather wish I could have found this unit around town. I prefer my Zenith 901, and now cannot return the Channel Master. Plus it cost me $8.95 for shipping.

You should have refused to accept that package when you saw the hole in the box. FedEx would have returned it to Solidsignal.

It really sucks that we don't seem to have a selection of these CECBs locally at a fair price and the mail order whores either gouge us on shipping charges or they charge the actual shipping charges and then don't properly pack the product for shipment.

I discussed this with a "supervisor" at Solidsignal today and he said he agreed with my criticism of their (not) packaging policy and that he had a number of complaints but that they decided to ship CECBs in their "shelf" box and they weren't changing their mind.

He said "we're too busy shipping hundreds of these boxes everyday to pack them properly". We can help them out by not buying from Solidsignal... then they'll have the time to package items properly for shipping.

I won't reinforce their greed and lack of respect for product and their customer by spending any money with them.

Pity there aren't any partners in the DTV coupon program that will give us at least the illusion that they value our business.

Solidsignal service and shipping sucks... spend your money elsewhere. JMO
post #29 of 189 Old 12-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Dear Solid Signal Customer:

Solid Signal has and continues to make every effort possible to make the digital transition an easy and uncomplicated process. Part of our efforts include providing our valuable customers with the best converter boxes available at the lowest prices possible.
One of the ways we pass the savings onto customers is by shipping at the lowest cost available. Due to time restraints for the digital transition deadline we are working our best to get our customers their orders in a timely manner. The converter box in no way gets damaged in this process although the packaging will be exposed to normal FedEx shipping processes. If for some reason your converter box arrives damaged we guarantee our customer a new one. Solid Signal takes pride in our products and our reliable customer service. It is for these reasons Solid Signal one of the largest online retailers of converter boxes in the US. Please feel free to call or email with any questions or concerns and remember everything we do we do for you.

Email: info@solidsignal.com
Phone: 1 (866)374-4625
http://www.solidsignal.com/

Thank you

SS@SolidSignal
post #30 of 189 Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSignal View Post

Solid Signal has and continues to make every effort possible to make the digital transition an easy and uncomplicated process. Part of our efforts include providing our valuable customers with the best converter boxes available at the lowest prices possible.
One of the ways we pass the savings onto customers is by shipping at the lowest cost available. Due to time restraints for the digital transition deadline we are working our best to get our customers their orders in a timely manner. The converter box in no way gets damaged in this process although the packaging will be exposed to normal FedEx shipping processes. If for some reason your converter box arrives damaged we guarantee our customer a new one. Solid Signal takes pride in our products and our reliable customer service. It is for these reasons Solid Signal is the #1 seller of converter boxes in the US. Please feel free to call or email with any questions or concerns and remember everything we do we do for you.

Email: info@solidsignal.com
Phone: 1 (866)374-4625
http://www.solidsignal.com/

Thank you

Prominently placing a disclaimer on the "shipping information" web page at http://www.solidsignal.com/shipping_info.asp stating that Solidsignal.com chooses to ship CECBs in their retail "shelf" box to save themselves time and money (although the customer IS being charged for shipping) would allow the customer to decide whether or not to make that concession. Now that would be valuing your customer.

If, as you say, "Solid Signal takes pride in our products" then treat them with respect and package the customer's purchase properly for shipping. Lax and lazy shipping policy in the interest of expedience and extra profit is not a valid reason... it is an excuse and a poor excuse at that.

Since you at Solidsignal.com think of yourselves as a first tier company... act like one and not like a back room mail order operation just out to make a fast buck.

You are far too disingenuous when you say "and remember everything we do we do for you". We know exactly what you do, why you do it, and for whom you do it. It's one thing to think you're smarter than the customer but don't make the mistake of thinking the customer is dumber than you are.

If Solid Signal is interested in cultivating repeat business from those caught up in the digital transition you are going about it the wrong way.

It's easy for you to see how much business you're doing and how much additional profit you're generating by your indifferent packing policy but more difficult to see how much business you're not doing and won't get in the future because of that packing policy.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page