Help me integrate a CECB to my system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-01-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Echostar dual tuner DVR that I use to feed two rooms:

1) Home theatre using Tuner #1 (HD). Separate OTA HD receiver for HD.
2) Bedroom (TV #2), using tuner #2 (SD) - modulated output. I am combining the tuner#2 output with my antenna OTA signal (using a splitter in reverse) to get both the satellite and local channels in SD on the TV.

This tuner puts the satellite signal out on a channel I choose (105), and it's nice because I can tune the locals using the TV's tuner, and use the satellite remote to change satellite channels on ch 105. It works ok for me.

So my question is to address my bedroom setup: Will the CECB tuner pass the satellite tuner's analog, modulated channel signal through to it's coax output? Or will it tune in the Modulated satellite channel, and send that on through it's composite analog video/audio outputs, along with digital channels coming from the antenna?

How should I integrate the CECB into this setup? I see the following options:
1) Combine the OTA and Modulated satellite signals ahead of the CECB box, connect the composite and analog audio outs to my VCR inputs, then run that into the TV using the coax (old TV only has a coax input). This assumes it will tune the satellite channel in an pass it onto it's outputs.
2) Combine the signals after the CECB box (using coax output) and Route the coax to my VCR input, then run that into the TV using the coax.
I guess this assumes it won't pass it on and will still allow the VCR/TV tuner to do the job...
3) Is there another option?

I'm trying to avoid having to do any input/signal switching when I just want to change channels from the Satellite channel to the OTA channels in this setup. Today I can just browse channels with the TV remote, until I get to the satellite station, then I need to switch remotes (or punch a key on my universal remote).

Thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
#1 will work.I'm sort of using a version of it, anyway. I had purchased a new 14 inch SDTV with analog and digital tuners for the bedroom. Then the cats knocked the TV to the floor and that essentially killed the analog tuner. So - I hooked up the old VCR for my analog tuner (going to the composite A/V jacks on the TV), passing the cable through to the TV's coax input (to do the DTV tuner). I have tried putting a CECB instead of straight to the TV , running the A/V outputs from the CECB to the A/V line ins of the VCR. When I do it this way, The TV stays on the Composite A/V inputs, the VCR tunes the analog channels and provides theinput selection to the CECB (which gets accessed as channel 00 on the VCR), then use the CECB remote for that round of channels. Yes, I have a satellite remote in the bedroom too.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3 of 5 Old 01-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

#1 will not allow you to tune the satellite channel.

#2 will work but you won't get stereo sound on any channel.

You don't need to combine at all. Run the OTA into the CECB. Connect both the modulated satellite output and the CECB composite and audio outputs to the VCR, and the VCR to the TV. Change OTA channels with the CECB with the VCR on "Video IN", and satellite channels with the satellite remote with the VCR on channel 105 (or whatever).
post #4 of 5 Old 01-02-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
There's no way to do this without switching inputs - somehow, somewhere.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

I knew that getting into explaining this would require more detail than I wanted to get into... it's a problem with this subject!

A couple more pieces of information on my setup:
1) I have a only a single coaxial cable running to the bedroom. I combine the modulated sat signal and the OTA signals down in my mechanical room
where the home theatre equipment (and sat reciever) is. Then run a line up to the bedroom. I use an RF remote to changes channels of the Sat receiver. Running any more lines is a HUGE PITA.

2) My TV only has a coax RF input. I do not have a stereo TV set, or any other audio equipment in the bedroom presently.

3) My VCR only has a single set of composite video/audio inputs. It also has an RF input, with tuner, of course.

4) I'm trying to avoid buying more stuff to solve these issues, since this is a relatively short term solution. I'm supposed to be getting married sometime, and then I'll be in a new house, hopefully with new approaches to this.

Does this clarify things?
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page