Tivax STB-T8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 01-13-2009, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a Tivax STB-T8 over the weekend and found a few undocumented features.

If you enter channel number n with no dash, the unit tunes to n-1. This can be a convenient shortcut.

Pressing OK after channel entry causes immediate tuning with no timeout delay.

Entering n-0 (OK not needed) immediately forces analog passthrough. The unit does not enter standby. Cancel passthrough by pressing PRE-CH, CH-, or CH+. Other buttons do nothing while in passthrough.

I put a 20-dB adjustable pad in the antenna lead to get some idea of the calibration of the signal level meter. On some stations the pad varied the meter reading, but on others there was no change. Although it's not entirely clear, I suspect the meter actually indicates signal quality rather than signal level.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-03-2009, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the hints k6sti.

I have a T8 on order, but may have to send it back if I have gotten incorrect info about it's features.

I ordered my T8 after reading a review on Amazon.com in which "Norseman" said -

Quote:

I ran the Automatic Scan for the first time and instantly had more channels than before (4 PBS channels compared to one before, along with four of another Network that previously only had one using just analog). Then I pointed the antenna towards the one major city we live to the east of, ran the Update Scan and pulled in more channels without wiping out the previous channels found. Point the antenna towards the other major city we live west of, and more channels appeared rerunning the Update Scan. In all, about 26 channels with an indoor antenna that we've had for close to eight years.

Unfortunatly, after putting the t8 on order, I found some conflicting information here on AVSforum.

Here on the forum, several folks have commented that ALL channel scans on the T8 will wipe out any channels that are not found on that particular scan (making the T8 absolutely USELESS for those who have a directional antenna with a rotor, and who have to deal with a spread of stations at different azimuths)

For example, here on AVSforum greg47 said -

Quote:

There is no way to manually add channels with this unit and when you auto scan it erases previous scans with no way to keep the previous channels in memory. So if you live between two cities like I do you have to choose which stations in which city you want to see or have two antennas combined together and pointed in the right directions.

According to this comment, every time you point the antenna in a new direction, you would have to repeat the channel scan to pick up new channels, but then you would loose the other channels!

Don't you love it when you rely on some info on the web, only to find directly conflicting information elsewhere?

The distinction between a normal scan, and 'update' scan, is important, because in the DTV converter boxes not designed by total MORONS, there is a special scanning mode, that will only update and ADD channels but not delete them (like the CM7000).

Since you have a recently shipped Tivax T8, could you check if the Channel Scan menu of the Tivax T8 now has an "Update Scan" feature?

This can be very easily checked by removing the antenna coax and repeating the channel scan to see if any channels drop from the list.

I know that there are some workarounds, such as the direct channel entry trick you mentioned, but even this hack is not guaranteed to always work.

The snag is that (as you may or may not be aware), thanks to a lot of silly ‘branding’ concerns on the part of broadcasters during the transition, the actual RF channels and the advertised commonly refered to channel numbers often do not line up any more (ATSC ‘virtual’ channel 8 may actually be on UHF RF channel 34).

CECB boxes are required to hide this ugly fact from the user by re-mapping the channels, but sometimes it is important for the user to be able to access the RF channel directly.

I ordered the T8 spicifically because several reviews mentioned that this sort of direct RF channel entry is possible.

Now, from what I have read here, it would appear that this is also implemented pretty stupidly in the STB-T8 (unless something has changed in the latest firmware).

The problem with direct channel access on the T8 as it is now described, is that it doesn't seem to differentiate real RF channels from 'virtual' channels, so the direct entry hack will not work after some stations start to move DTV operations back onto their previously active analog channels, because the T8 will be confused and just see the remapped assignment on the same channel, and jump to the ‘virtual channel’ instead.

I reason I am concerned is that I want to be able to use the T8 in an RV while traveling (parked of course, due to multipath) with a hand rotatable directional antenna, and can't deal with waiting 5 minutes for the unit to rescan every time I re-tweak the antenna.

So my questions are -

1. Does the T8 now allow no nonsense unambiguous direct RF channel entry?

2. If not, does the T8 now at least have an ‘update only’ scan menu option that will NEVER loose previously found channels? (as implied by the above Amazon quote)

TIA

- Delphin
post #3 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 08:28 AM

Liked: 12
I got my Tivax STB-T8 in September and it had the "Add on Scan" feature. Also, it will map in a channel if you enter the RF channel number your trying to map.

I also had a situation here in Minneapolis with Public Television channel change. I thought I might have to do a rescan to get it to work correctly. But I didn't, I just tried tuning in the old 17-1 and it remapped itself to 2-3 correctly.

Two nice features I like about this unit have to do with smart antennas. It keeps the antenna powered even when the converter is off. Also, the tuning of the currently viewed channel makes adjusting the settings easier than the Goodmind unit I had before.
post #4 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphin View Post

Unfortunatly, after putting the t8 on order, I found some conflicting information here on AVSforum.

Don't you love it when you rely on some info on the web, only to find directly conflicting information elsewhere?

TIA

- Delphin

customer comments on sale sites should be read with caution. people for fun might make outrageously good or bad comments about a product. also they make work for that vendor or be a vendor of competing products and make comments based on that. also people may just be mistaken about the product, like frequently if they haven't read the manual then conclude the product is broken or doesn't have a function.

in general a good forum like this one will have better user information. realize though that every comment here is not necessarily true. some comments are from people having trouble, maybe some haven't read the manual or have trouble with electronics, and they write about their troubles which may include some incorrect information. with a good forum like this, you have a large number of people with lots of experience and knowledge, so correct answers are found eventually. you may need to read through dozens of comments but things do eventually come out with the correct facts.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the hints k6sti.

I have a T8 on order, but may have to send it back if I have gotten incorrect info about it's features.

Here on the forum, several folks have commented that ALL channel scans on the T8 will wipe out any channels that are not found on that particular scan (making the T8 absolutely USELESS for those who have a directional antenna with a rotor, and who have to deal with a spread of stations at different azimuths)

For example, here on AVSforum greg47 said -

According to this comment, every time you point the antenna in a new direction, you would have to repeat the channel scan to pick up new channels, but then you would loose the other channels!

The distinction between a normal scan, and 'update' scan, is important, because in the DTV converter boxes not designed by total MORONS, there is a special scanning mode, that will only update and ADD channels but not delete them (like the CM7000).

Since you have a recently shipped Tivax T8, could you check if the Channel Scan menu of the Tivax T8 now has an "Update Scan" feature?

This can be very easily checked by removing the antenna coax and repeating the channel scan to see if any channels drop from the list.

I know that there are some workarounds, such as the direct channel entry trick you mentioned, but even this hack is not guaranteed to always work.

The snag is that (as you may or may not be aware), thanks to a lot of silly branding' concerns on the part of broadcasters during the transition, the actual RF channels and the advertised commonly refered to channel numbers often do not line up any more (ATSC virtual' channel 8 may actually be on UHF RF channel 34).

CECB boxes are required to hide this ugly fact from the user by re-mapping the channels, but sometimes it is important for the user to be able to access the RF channel directly.

I ordered the T8 spicifically because several reviews mentioned that this sort of direct RF channel entry is possible.

Now, from what I have read here, it would appear that this is also implemented pretty stupidly in the STB-T8 (unless something has changed in the latest firmware).

The problem with direct channel access on the T8 as it is now described, is that it doesn't seem to differentiate real RF channels from 'virtual' channels, so the direct entry hack will not work after some stations start to move DTV operations back onto their previously active analog channels, because the T8 will be confused and just see the remapped assignment on the same channel, and jump to the virtual channel' instead.

I reason I am concerned is that I want to be able to use the T8 in an RV while traveling (parked of course, due to multipath) with a hand rotatable directional antenna, and can't deal with waiting 5 minutes for the unit to rescan every time I re-tweak the antenna.

So my questions are -

1. Does the T8 now allow no nonsense unambiguous direct RF channel entry?

2. If not, does the T8 now at least have an update only' scan menu option that will NEVER loose previously found channels? (as implied by the above Amazon quote)

TIA

- Delphin

I have iNet SSR 1921, it has been established by other members of this forum that it is clone of Tivax, identical back panel and remote etc.thus the working of it are the same as Tivax.
Your concerns are unfounded, whatever channel you punch in if there is virtual channel already the box will find it, 45 becomes ABC7-1; 28 to NBC4-; 56 trans. to CBS2-1; 61 to WNET13-1 and so on, it works superbly.
In case there is no reception, ch.36 the box makes 36-1, 43 to 43-1 etc. you check the signal level to see if you get 0 or active 0-15 0-15 too weak to scan to memory.
You do Full Scan at beginning then only ADD Scan, full scan in any electro-
nic box erases old memory in order to create new memory.
One more thing, there are two types of Tixax sold the Silver box and black box, the silver box is heavier 1.75 lbs indicating metal, the black box is 1lb.
indicating laminate of aluminium alloys, or tin, or industrial acrylic, it seems that the silver box is the coveted one, I would consider more reliable.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 10:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the quick responses, I am glad that the current Tivax T8 does have the ADD SCAN feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloEuro View Post

In case there is no reception, ch.36 the box makes 36-1, 43 to 43-1 etc. you check the signal level to see if you get 0 or active 0-15 0-15 too weak to scan to memory.

Thanks for the info, I agree with most of your comments, but I think you might have missed my point.

Most existing broadcasters found out that if they would just hold out, and whine a little, BINGO the FCC will give them a second valuble spectrum assignment to ease the "digital transition".

So, just for example, the local San Francisco KQED DTV "CH 9.1" in San Francisco has NOTHING to do with VHF channel nine at all (it's actually on UHF 30).

So later, when KQED finally converts over thier REAL VHF transmitter on RF channel 9 to DTV, let's suppose, that because it's down on VHF were your Bowtie antenna dosen't work so well, it gets missed on the scan and you want to enter it manually.

So you punch in "9" on your handi-dandy T8 remote --- What will it do???

My guess, is that it jumps to "9.1" just like you said . . .

The only problem is that 9.1 is MAPPED TO UHF 30, NOT TO THE VHF CHANNEL 9 YOU WERE LOOKING FOR.

The comments so far seem to confirm that the T8 will properly find these 'remapped' channels automatically, so my concern is that it may do it when you don't really want it to.

AloEuro, and several others, have confirmed that "In case there is no reception" the T8 just assume that the number you entered is the actual RF channel.

Ok, Fine, great - but what does the T8 do when there is confusion between channel 9 'RF' vs the already assigned and working 9.1 'VIRTUAL' [the already scanned and 'remapped' channel 30 as mentioned above]????

Hopefully the FCC predicted these kinds of issues better than they did most other DTV issues [like multi-path] and the T8 will still sort it out somehow, and add in the new 'virtual channels'.

If not, I feel a little better knowing that the T8 has the "Add Scan" mode, because I can just keep scanning till it finally picks up all the new channels, without loosing anything.

Thanks again everyone
post #7 of 23 Old 04-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The only problem is that 9.1 is MAPPED TO UHF 30, NOT TO THE VHF CHANNEL 9 YOU WERE LOOKING FOR.

The comments so far seem to confirm that the T8 will properly find these 'remapped' channels automatically, so my concern is that it may do it when you don't really want it to.

Ok, Fine, great - but what does the T8 do when there is confusion between channel 9 'RF' vs the already assigned and working 9.1 'VIRTUAL' [the already scanned and 'remapped' channel 30 as mentioned above]????

Hopefully the FCC predicted these kinds of issues better than they did most other DTV issues [like multi-path] and the T8 will still sort it out somehow, and add in the new 'virtual channels'.

If not, I feel a little better knowing that the T8 has the "Add Scan" mode, because I can just keep scanning till it finally picks up all the new channels, without loosing anything.

Thanks again everyone

in general the CECB will only find new channels or channel switches with a new scan or 'add channels' scan or manual channel add type of operation, it is not automatic when the broadcaster changes.

you also might have to delete old channels manually from the tuner list.

so for 9 being on real 30 and then switching to real 9. originally you would have a virtual 9 and real 30, the CECB would tune to that with a 9 (and likely 30). you add (through an add channels function) a real 9 after it changes. if you tuned to 9 it might have a set of 9 from when you had real 30 and a set from real 9. it would tune through both sets if you tuned with the up/down channel arrows. you would likely need to delete the virtual 9 (real 30 set) by manual edit or a total new scan.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-05-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post

. . . you would likely need to delete the virtual 9 (real 30 set) by manual edit or a total new scan.

I just got my T8 (about 4 days, mouseclick-to-mailbox on Amazon, even with FREE shipping!), and it handles things very similarly to the CM7000; only allowing you to set channels as either 'viewable' or 'not viewable'.

So, both the CM7000 and Tivax STB-T8 do not really let you "delete" single channels. The CM7000 claims to 'delete' them but actually just moves them to another list (like the T8 'not viewable' list), so if necessary they can be recalled later.

You can't actually delete a single channel completely on either box, short of wiping out everything and starting over.

Both boxes do have a full "wipe out everything and rescan" mode, which I suspect is the CECB manufactures response to the fact that the FCC could indeed screw things up and get the virtual vs. actual channel situation hopelessly screwed up during the transition.

- Delphin
post #9 of 23 Old 04-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:

I just got my T8 (about 4 days, mouseclick-to-mailbox on Amazon, even with FREE shipping!), and it handles things very similarly to the CM7000; only allowing you to set channels as either 'viewable' or 'not viewable'.

So, both the CM7000 and Tivax STB-T8 do not really let you "delete" single channels. The CM7000 claims to 'delete' them but actually just moves them to another list (like the T8 'not viewable' list), so if necessary they can be recalled later.

You can't actually delete a single channel completely on either box, short of wiping out everything and starting over.

Both boxes do have a full "wipe out everything and rescan" mode, which I suspect is the CECB manufactures response to the fact that the FCC could indeed screw things up and get the virtual vs. actual channel situation hopelessly screwed up during the transition.

- Delphin

Get also readout on www.TVFool.com it should help
post #10 of 23 Old 04-06-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

By "deleted", they mean deleted from the channel list when surfing, and the guide. So they're not making any false claims.

Why would you consider it a fault that it's just moved to another "deleted" area, but still in the memory? I would think that most people would consider that a plus - that if they ever want to re-insert it, all they'd have to do is go in and uncheck it.

As far as adding channels, the CM's scans pretty fast, so doing an "add-on" scan probably takes less than a minute. Maybe that's not ideal, but I wouldn't really consider that a deal-killer.

Get yourself a Zenith. You might still find fault with the PQ (because most people don't consider it better than the CM or the Tivax), and it hasn't much of a guide, but it should give you less to complain about otherwise.
post #11 of 23 Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

By "deleted", they mean deleted from the channel list when surfing, and the guide. So they're not making any false claims.

Why would you consider it a fault that it's just moved to another "deleted" area, but still in the memory? I would think that most people would consider that a plus - that if they ever want to re-insert it, all they'd have to do is go in and uncheck it.

As far as adding channels, the CM's scans pretty fast, so doing an "add-on" scan probably takes less than a minute. Maybe that's not ideal, but I wouldn't really consider that a deal-killer.

Get yourself a Zenith. You might still find fault with the PQ (because most people don't consider it better than the CM or the Tivax), and it hasn't much of a guide, but it should give you less to complain about otherwise.

Thanks for the heads-up about the Zenith. The coupon program has a few months to go, so that's good to know.

I know that the constant Zoom-In, Zoom-Out, needed when changing channels on the Tivax STB-T8 would drive some of my friends nuts, so other options are always welcome.

I agree that generally speaking, being able to recover channels from the electronic equivelent of the 'recycle bin' is a fine thing, as long as the overall channel map does not change.

The issue of channel deletion only came up in the context of possible conflicts
between 'virtual' channel numbers and real 'RF' channel numbers which might require that the channel be completely deleted to resolve (to clear out all the RF-to-Virtual channel re-mapping)

The only time a full rescan would become necessary is if you move to a new area and need to wipe out the existing virtual channel remapping, to prevent the box from becoming confused. I was just saying that you can't really do this channel by channel, but you can delete everything if necessary, by just re-running a full channel scan on either box.

Both the Channel Master CM7000 and The Tivax STB-T8 do have some good points.

The CM7000 is much faster at powering up from standby and in scanning for new channels than the Tivax and a lot of the others, and once it finds a channel, the CM7000 does do an exceptionally fine job of holding onto weak signals compared to some other DTV tuners I have seen.

Sadly, not many of the other CECB boxes out there offer the same ST demod chipset as the CM7000, so you don't have a lot of other options if you want that slight extra level of performance. (some others use the same tuner module, but then they use Zoran, or LG as demods chips, not the STV0373 demod used in the CM7000)

Getting back to the Tivax -

The Tivax STB-T8 remote control is MUCH better laid out than the CM7000. (an autistic 4yo could come up with a better button arangement than the CM7000 remote) Offseting this, it was easy to program the CM7000 remote codes into my universal remote, because it looks like a standard old style cable box that will be found on 99% of the universal remotes out there. According to the CECB standard, this was what EVERYONE was supposed to do, but sadly Tivax missed the boat on that one, and the STB-T8 remote codes don't look like ANYTHING, so you MUST have a 'learning' style universal remote or you are out of luck.

Also to the STB-T8's credit, the front panel up-down channel buttons on the Tivax box feel pretty solid, and actually seem to work (as opposed to the CM7000, where they feel quite cheap, and often change channels up or down by two or three steps at once, no matter how carefully you press the button).

I am also quite pleased that my plan to use the Tivax STB-T8 in my RV should also work out well, because the STB-T8 has a very forgiving input voltage range (less than 110v all the way up to 220 volts!), and seems to work very nicely on one of those low cost 12DC to 120AC inverters.

The STB-T8's input power supply seems to be a simple, rugged, switching design which will run on just about any AC input waveform (the input AC just hits a bridge rectifier and gets turned into DC anyway), and from my testing it seems to have enough filtering that the jagged stair-step output from the DC-AC inverter does not cause noticible hum-bars in the video. (this is important, because I have seen TV's which would work ok on an invertor, but which showed noticable hum-bars, due to poor power supply filtering).

So I guess any box out there will have it's good points and bad points, so I'm glad we have a forum like this so folks can get some idea what those are before making a choice.

- Delphin
post #12 of 23 Old 04-17-2009, 12:53 PM

Oh Delphin you may only wish that you had another coupon, instead wasting it on
assumption of good faith. Last week I received Conv.box which has 3 Scanning.
Full Scan; ADD on Scan; Manual Scan to ADD and DELETE, real adding, real erase,
not the fony word play sellers even buyers stuck with their boxes use.
Unfortunately it has Handicap EPG Now-Next, Aspect Ratio industry standards, but
great CC. It has ACC and DCC and services. Sorry my 2min.warning.
I should not have said that in the first line, both your boxes are top of the line converters,
I was like Bob would say his famous triple sarcasm meaning write first think later, sorry.
The box I was refer. to CoshipN9901T APT is allright
post #13 of 23 Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 AM

Got mine today and am overall quite happy. The only strange behavior is when I pull up an on-screen display like signal strength or channel info. When I do so I can hear a slight buzzing in the audio. When I dismiss the on-screen info the buzzing sound goes away.

I should add that I'm connecting up the Tivax to a 25 year old Zenith that only has an RF input. Maybe this has something to do with the audio thing. But other than this the STB-T8 does everything it's designed to do. The remote is nice and channels change fast enough.
post #14 of 23 Old 04-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhiskers View Post

Got mine today and am overall quite happy. The only strange behavior is when I pull up an on-screen display like signal strength or channel info. When I do so I can hear a slight buzzing in the audio. When I dismiss the on-screen info the buzzing sound goes away.

I should add that I'm connecting up the Tivax to a 25 year old Zenith that only has an RF input. Maybe this has something to do with the audio thing. But other than this the STB-T8 does everything it's designed to do. The remote is nice and channels change fast enough.

The buzzing is indeed due to the fact that you are using the RF output on the Tivax with your old Zenith instead of the direct triple RCA cable video/audio hookups.

The Tivax Analog RF video outpu uses the standard NTSC arrangement which places the sound on a 4.5 MHz sound subcarrier at the top of the video channel.

The STB-T8 on-screen menus have lots of sharp edges which create high frequency components in the combined NTSC RF video, some of which splatter into the upper end of the video channel at 4.5 MHz and interfere with the sound sub-carrier, which is what creates a slight buzzing in the audio.

On the plus side, because the Tivax doesn't try to over filter the upper end of the video to prevent this (as some other low cost CECB boxes do), it has some of the sharpest converted video when displaying converted HD DTV signals.

If you later use the STB-T8 with another set which lets you use direct RCA style video inputs, you will love the sharp clear video, and this minor buzzing sound annoyance will go away.

I now have a Tivax STB-T8, a Channel Master CM7000, and a Direct TV DTV Pal Plus. Of the three, the Tivax has the sharpest composite video, the simplest best laid out remote, and is the only one of the three that supports a 'smart antenna' (and though you didn't need them with your Zenith, the Tivax is also the only one of the three to supply a triple RCA cable hookup cable with the unit, which I thought was a very nice touch).

- Delphin
post #15 of 23 Old 05-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Delphin where did you buy your Tivax-STB-T8?
post #16 of 23 Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron350 View Post

Delphin where did you buy your Tivax-STB-T8?

Haven't seen em in local brick and morter stores, so I got mine through Amazon

$49.99 which comes to just under $10 after the coupon discount, and arrived in less than a week, even with the free super-saver shipping (you do qualify for free shipping, because the price is counted before the discount, but the discount is credited at checkout so the full total that hit my credit card was only $9.99).

- Delphin
post #17 of 23 Old 05-10-2009, 03:51 AM

Delphin thanks.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-10-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks everyone for the quick responses, I am glad that the current Tivax T8 does have the ADD SCAN feature.

Thanks for the info, I agree with most of your comments, but I think you might have missed my point.

Most existing broadcasters found out that if they would just hold out, and whine a little, BINGO the FCC will give them a second valuble spectrum assignment to ease the "digital transition".

So, just for example, the local San Francisco KQED DTV "CH 9.1" in San Francisco has NOTHING to do with VHF channel nine at all (it's actually on UHF 30).

So later, when KQED finally converts over thier REAL VHF transmitter on RF channel 9 to DTV, let's suppose, that because it's down on VHF were your Bowtie antenna dosen't work so well, it gets missed on the scan and you want to enter it manually.

So you punch in "9" on your handi-dandy T8 remote --- What will it do???

My guess, is that it jumps to "9.1" just like you said . . .

AloEuro, and several others, have confirmed that "In case there is no reception" the T8 just assume that the number you entered is the actual RF channel.

Thanks again everyone [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG]

Thanks for posting more information.
post #19 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:

The buzzing is indeed due to the fact that you are using the RF output on the Tivax with your old Zenith instead of the direct triple RCA cable video/audio hookups.

The Tivax Analog RF video outpu uses the standard NTSC arrangement which places the sound on a 4.5 MHz sound subcarrier at the top of the video channel.

The STB-T8 on-screen menus have lots of sharp edges which create high frequency components in the combined NTSC RF video, some of which splatter into the upper end of the video channel at 4.5 MHz and interfere with the sound sub-carrier, which is what creates a slight buzzing in the audio.

On the plus side, because the Tivax doesn't try to over filter the upper end of the video to prevent this (as some other low cost CECB boxes do), it has some of the sharpest converted video when displaying converted HD DTV signals.

If you later use the STB-T8 with another set which lets you use direct RCA style video inputs, you will love the sharp clear video, and this minor buzzing sound annoyance will go away.

I now have a Tivax STB-T8, a Channel Master CM7000, and a Direct TV DTV Pal Plus. Of the three, the Tivax has the sharpest composite video, the simplest best laid out remote, and is the only one of the three that supports a 'smart antenna' (and though you didn't need them with your Zenith, the Tivax is also the only one of the three to supply a triple RCA cable hookup cable with the unit, which I thought was a very nice touch).

- Delphin

I'll respond to my own post here to bump this subject back up to the top of the queue, because there is a very important point that I forgot to add.

Pretty much ANY converter box you can name will have problems with noisy audio if you -

A. Turn DOWN the volume on the converter box using it's remote.

then . . .

B. Compensate for the low volume by turning UP the volume on the television remote.

For best audio S/N with any converter box, you should run it's volume up to somewhere between 3/4 and maximum, then adjust for a reasonable audio level with your television receiver's remote.

- Delphin
post #20 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:

For best audio S/N with any converter box, you should run it's volume up to somewhere between 3/4 and maximum, then adjust for a reasonable audio level with your television receiver's remote.

I don't understand why these boxes have volume controls. It's also odd that the Tivax volume level reaches 100% at a numerical value of 63 It works well and that's what matters.
post #21 of 23 Old 06-10-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
With volume control it means most people only need to use 1 remote (besides having to turn the TV on/off)
post #22 of 23 Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I've read conflicting reports about this box. Does anyone know if it has a Qam tuner?
post #23 of 23 Old 06-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

I've read conflicting reports about this box. Does anyone know if it has a Qam tuner?

no CECB has a QAM tuner.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page