CECB Vendor Section? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-26-2009, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many boards I frequent have a section for any given vendor rep that frequents that board to reply/respond to board member regarding product line, shipping, delivery etc. I did not find such a section here, so I will post my situation here in a new thread. Perhaps the admin/sysop would consider adding the section.
Does anyone know of current issues with FreeDTVShop.com? Not the site, it seems to be fine, but anything that may be causing unreasonable delays in processing orders or replying to order inqueries.
It seems John/Mosquito is highly regarded here, so I dont want to come off 'trashing' him, but I am becoming annoyed with the situation.
The short story is, having placed an order for a box that was listed as "in stock and ready to ship" on Wed. 1-21, I have yet to get any response to several attempts to contact via email, their 'contact us' msg system or a ph# I got via Google regarding my order status. The FreeDTVShop.com status page still says "not sent" with a date of 1-21-09.
I did get the auto generated "Thank you, payment for your order has been accepted" confirmation email shortly after placing the order but as of today, the sixth day since the transaction no further info on my order has been made available to me.
I am not ( at this point) promoting one vendor over another, but as a point of reference I did order a CM 7000 from SolidSignal at virtually the same and it is on the local Fed-Ex truck for today's delivery.
There were some post as to John's pricing being high, yet my research finds he is quite competitive.
If anyone knows a vendor that takes coupons for this box
Code:
http://www.trtinfo.com/Portals/27/PDF/TACB_1009_rev.pdf
please post. At 49 bucks retail, it looks very promising.
John was looking for input as to what to add to his productline. I would certainly buy one if it is all it claims to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

For anyone that may be having similar contact issues, or are otherwise interested, about 45 min after posting this thread, I received a response, the body of which is quoted below.
"We are processing orders as soon as possible. Order volume just about quintupled in the past two weeks, and we have had people working through the weekend to keep us caught up with them. The government had sent out a good number of coupons that were not properly funded, and that throws a wrench into the process as it causes us to have to do significantly more customer service in trying to resolve those errors. In addition, there have been periods where the government's redemption website has not functioned properly, which also delays the process. We are working through these issues as quickly as possible, but much of it is out of our hands.

That all said, your order is due to be shipped today, so you should receive the USPS priority mail tracking number as it goes out the door."

Although the box is going to arrive much later than I had anticipated, it was nice to hear a status report. I have not been jaded, and hope to do business with them again. I replied with a tnx email, and stated as much. As an after thought I should have suggested that they put some type of notice on the webpage reflecting the issues they are having.

Mods, if no one has anything further to add this thread can be closed.
thank you.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 AM

I just wanted to chime in here for anyone reading this. What you need to realize is that the market for these boxes is highly susceptible to huge highs and lows, and of course now that we're approaching the 17th, we're hitting one of those highs. It's human nature for people to procrastinate, as we're seeing with the funding debacle with the coupons, so everyone and their brothers are coming out of the woodwork.

We're a small home theater business in Minnesota, and we're typically not an online retailer, like, say, Solid Signal, so we are juggling our local business with the ebs and flows of the online sales. When a big shift happens on one side, like it just has with the converter boxes, there is a little recoil that occurs. The profit margins on these boxes are not huge, as I'm sure most people realize, so it's hard to justify being fully staffed for the peak times all the time. There are adjustments that have to take place, and quite literally, sector64's order fell right on our transition period. Typically, we wouldn't have people processing orders over the weekend, but we've started doing that now to compensate, and we've also started shipping on Mondays again. We weren't doing those things to keep our costs low and competitive, but now we can justify it due to the higher demand.

Of course, you mix in your daily dose of headaches from dealing with the gov't and you've got yourself a nice set of hoops to jump through before anything even goes out the door. That all said, as of the end of day today, we'll be well caught up, so there shouldn't be any further perceived delays. I just wanted to post this update for anyone who might be interested.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-27-2009, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Good to here your getting back on track John. Falling thru the cracks is SOP for my life, I'm like that guy that has the angry cloud following him everywhere............lol.
I would have blamed it all on the weather up there. I dont know how ya'll function in all that. We get sub freezing and a little ice on the roads here in S. Texas and these flatlanders cant stay out of the ditches..........lol
No harm, no foul, and as I said I will be a repeat customer for friends/family as soon as I review these boxes that I have ordered.
I sure like the looks of that TACB-1009. It seems to have everything allowed (which was a poor ruling to limit features AFAIC) but an RS232 port. I could live w/o the analog passthru though. Depending on how well it is designed, I suspect this feature is likely to cost a db or two of sensitivity, which is bad news for digital signals. Funny that it seems to be considered as a good feature.
Maybe you can work with TRT for the qty/price that works for your participatition level.
At $49.00 MSRP I'd prolly even get one w/o the coupon just to see how it performs.
tnx again for your response.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-28-2009, 11:04 PM

I've also been waiting on a converter box from FreeDTVShop.com, ordered back on January 16th (the Tivax STB-T8, shipping to an address in VA). The website says that the box was shipped on January 19th, but I haven't gotten it yet. I never got a USPS tracking number, though, so I don't know if my package is on its way, lost in the mail, or still sitting in Minnesota. Repeated calls and e-mails have gone unanswered.

John, I understand that you're a small business coming through a crunch, but I could use some information. It sounds like I ordered the Tivax a while before Sector64 above, but still no box, no USPS tracking number, and no response to my e-mails. Is my box on its way, or lost, or what?

-Noah
post #6 of 8 Old 01-29-2009, 10:01 AM

Noah -- responded to you via PM. We opened a ticket with the USPS on your package and they are trying to track it down. We'll get a new one out asap if they claim that it's "lost."
post #7 of 8 Old 07-17-2009, 11:06 AM

I ordered two boxes with coupons from FTVS, one was billed "by mistake" before it arrived (CM-7000) and I got lots of e-mails promising the second until the coupon expired. Then, I could not get any replies from John. I canceled the order and lost my coupon.

Considering contacting Minnesota and California Attorney General's offices regarding fraud charges.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-27-2009, 07:30 PM

PHOnos -- I think you are confusing us with another site. We haven't sold the CM7000 for a long time and we've never sent out partial orders. Please PM me if I'm misunderstanding your situation.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page