Dish DTVPal enters Inactivity Standby during an event? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night my DTVPal (Dish TR-40) had two events: 8:00-9:00 and 10:00-11:00. Both weekly events. The first was fine. The second started up at 10:00 but at 10:16 a box popped up with this message:

DTVPal is about to enter Inactivity Standby in 15 seconds

Sure enough, after counting down the 15 seconds, the DTVPal turned itself off! (saw this on the recording later)

I have inactivity standby enabled and set to 4 hours. I also normally leave my DTVPal turned off. I'm just really surprised that it would go into inactivity standby in the middle of a timer event. Anyone else having this problem?

I've seen the suggestions posted elsewhere about leaving the DTVPal turned on and disabling Inactivity Standby. Is this the only solution?

BTW I ordered my DTVPal 1/17/09 and the software version is F105TCGH-N. I've read that F106 solves timer problems but don't know about F105.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The inactivity timer is based on activity from the remote, and apparently doesn't count timer activity in that. So, I'd either disable the inactivity timer (best for recordings) or at least set it long enough.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3 of 7 Old 02-11-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by patman2 View Post

Last night my DTVPal (Dish TR-40) had two events: 8:00-9:00 and 10:00-11:00. Both weekly events.
The first was fine. The second started up at 10:00 but at 10:16 a box popped up with this message:

DTVPal is about to enter Inactivity Standby in 15 seconds

Sure enough, after counting down the 15 seconds, the DTVPal turned itself off! (saw this on the recording later)

There can be a problem with the inactivity standby timer powering off the box during an event under various scenarios.
You probably didn't power off the unit after setting the timers.

You set the 2 timers for 8:00 and 10:00 at 6:16 and left the unit unattended and powered on.
So at 10:16 (4 hours later) it will power off regardless of a timed event.

Depending on your recording timeframe, you could temporarily disable the inactivity standby
or increase your inactivity standby time an hour or two, and make sure that you power off the unit
when you have timers set and are going to leave it unattended.

The inactivity standby timer countdown will then start when the timer powers on the unit.

Beeper
post #4 of 7 Old 02-11-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

You probably didn't power off the unit after setting the timers.
...make sure that you power off the unit when you have timers set and are going to leave it unattended.

The inactivity standby timer countdown will then start when the timer powers on the unit.

Well your answer sheds some light on the problem. I did power off after setting the timer but sometime that evening the unit powered itself on. It could well have happened at 6:16p. although I couldn't swear to it. I didn't bother to power it off since I knew there were upcoming events.

The DTVPal powers itself on and off at mysterious times. Sometimes it stays on for less than a minute. Other times it stays on until inactivity timeout turns it off. I have already changed the address on the remote for my other Dish receiver so it no longer affects the DTVPal (as it did when set to the default remote address of 1). The mysterious DTVPal on/off behavior happens when no other remote of any kind is being used so I don't think it's spurious interference.

I'm strongly considering disabling 'Inactivity Standby' permanently. Any idea what 'maintenance activities' will be forfeited and what problems could be caused?
post #5 of 7 Old 02-11-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just collecting the guide information on other channels.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #6 of 7 Old 02-11-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by patman2 View Post

I have already changed the address on the remote for my other Dish receiver so it no longer affects the DTVPal (as it did when set to the default remote address of 1). The mysterious DTVPal on/off behavior happens when no other remote of any kind is being used so I don't think it's spurious interference.

I'm strongly considering disabling 'Inactivity Standby' permanently. Any idea what 'maintenance activities' will be forfeited and what problems could be caused?

Even though I have my Dish satellite receiver's remote on a different address, pressing random functions will sometimes power on the DTVPal.

It doesn't hurt to disable the inactivity standby, as long as you manually power off the unit when not in use. Then it will be able to do maintenance.

The maintenance mode on my units momentarily power them on and off at the same times everyday.

Among other things mentioned, the maintenance mode will also keep the clock from drifting if you don't power on the unit for awhile.

Beeper
post #7 of 7 Old 02-11-2009, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
My F103 powers itself on and sometimes get stuck. It went for months without doing that but then it started up again a couple months ago.

If I won't be home, I disable the inactivity setting. When I'm home I just press a button when programming starts. I suppose the clear button would work to reset the inactivity, but I seem to catch the commercials, so I press info to get a record of the program info. Worst case is it's on longer than needed, 6 watts an hour. If I'm around when programming is done, I shut off manually.

The guide info doesn't work all that well for me, anyway. A couple stations report 6-7 days out, and others report stuff like "paid programming" as separate half hour programs, so it dumps info it already has, trying to get more. I can't even count on 12 hours for every station, but it does fill in programming if I tune to a station for 15 minutes or so. I think it's supposed to dump past guide info in standby, but it seems to dump future events, too.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page