Not sure what box is good enough for me - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-13-2009, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm ready to use my $40 coupons, but I don't know what converter box to get! Currently, I only need the box for one TV and the only time I use that TV is when I'm working out in the spare bedroom.....so top picture quality isn't a huge concern (also it's an older tv). I'd like it to be fairly easy to use, so I can just turn it on and start working out. I guess I want to be able to receive both analog and digital signals?? Anything else I need to be thinking about?
I did read some threads saying Zenith is good, but I'm looking on Amazon and it is about $10 more expensive than Access HD, Tivax, and Lasonic....will the Zenith really be any better for my situation?? I could also get a Magnavox at Walmart or Venturer at Target for a better price than anything else.

I am within 15 miles from most signals....will I be okay with my cheapo rabbit ears on top of the TV? There are no tall buildings within a few miles of my house.

Thanks for any advice...I'm really clueless about this....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-13-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...71&postcount=1

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 8 Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmaul View Post

I did read some threads saying Zenith is good, but I'm looking on Amazon and it is about $10 more expensive than Access HD, Tivax, and Lasonic....will the Zenith really be any better for my situation?? I could also get a Magnavox at Walmart or Venturer at Target for a better price than anything else.

I am within 15 miles from most signals....will I be okay with my cheapo rabbit ears on top of the TV? There are no tall buildings within a few miles of my house.

Get the Zenith DTT901 at your local Kmart @$49.99 ($9.99 after coupon)

post #4 of 8 Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I'm ready to use my $40 coupons, but I don't know what converter box to get! Currently, I only need the box for one TV and the only time I use that TV is when I'm working out in the spare bedroom.....so top picture quality isn't a huge concern (also it's an older tv). I'd like it to be fairly easy to use, so I can just turn it on and start working out. I guess I want to be able to receive both analog and digital signals?? Anything else I need to be thinking about?

My immediate and extended family entrusted me with ten coupons and the CECB purchasing decisions.

Over a several month period I purchased two Zenith DTT900 models, six Zenith DTT901 models (with analog pass through) and two Zinwell ZAT-970A models (with analog pass through and eight event channel change timers).

The Zeniths (and its Insignia twin) are the best overall performers. If event channel change timers are important the Zinwell is a good choice.

Most Zeniths were priced at $9.99 (with a coupon) at KMart and Bi-Mart (an Oregon, Washington and Idaho chain). The Zinwells were priced at $9.99 or free (with a coupon) at Albertsons grocery stores.

If your antenna has a UHF loop or circle it should be fine if the broadcast towers are in your unobstructed line-of-sight.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 8 Old 02-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Do you want the convenience a single remote that operates the converter box AND the TV? If so, look for a unit that has a universal remote. They operate the converter and also turn the TV on/off, have TV volume adjust and some can select the TV input.

creakndale
post #6 of 8 Old 02-14-2009, 01:26 PM

The Zenith from Kmart or the identical Insignia model from Best Buy are good choices for anyone.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice! I had to use Kmart's store locator to even find one, but there ended up being one about a half hour away. I went and picked up two (one as a backup in case we get rid of cable), and I just set one up. It works great and was expecially helpful because the TV remote is broken, so now I can use it to turn the tv on and off, too It said it picked up 15 channels but 3 had no signal and 3 were in Spanish, so I deleted those and now I have 9 channels to choose from when I'm exercising. Thank you everyone for your help
post #8 of 8 Old 02-14-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:

......I just set one up. It works great and was expecially helpful because the TV remote is broken, so now I can use it to turn the tv on and off, tooIt said it picked up 15 channels but 3 had no signal and 3 were in Spanish, so I deleted those and now I have 9 channels to choose from when I'm exercising. Thank you everyone for your help

those 3 channels with no signal were probably just a low signal situation...there was just enough signal to make it into the scanned channel list....some boxes react this way to low signal....so if u can tweak your antenna, get a better antenna, get the antenna up higher, add an amp or somehow otherwise increase the signal level u will probably be able to get those 3 channels as well.....good luck....

*** its high time to go back to OTA antennas and CANCEL our cable/satellite pay tv services! their greed is totally & insanely out of control! ***
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page