Can someone please look and see which CECB's have these features? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

I'm sorry, I've never requoted a previous post unless I was making a point of a specific statement and I don't see where it's going to change.

Well as two have pointed out (so far), not doing so not only makes the thread more difficult to understand, but it's hard on the one asking the question. And like I said, you either click "Quick Reply" or "Quote", so why not make it easier on everyone and just click "Quote"?

Quote:

Besides, it takes much longer for me to go through another page or two, than to just do a "Quick Post" and why would it be here, if it wasn't to be used?

I don't understand why you have to go through another page or two. It's just one click, "Quote" and that's it. If you're talking about the "Quick reply", as I pointed out earlier: "It doesn't matter of course if one is not replying to anything specific." But you can still use the Quick Reply area at the bottom, just copy & paste the previous text to which you are referring into the post and at least put it in italics or quotes. But again, if you do that, there is no link in the quote to the previous post, which causes everyone to have the search the thread for the original post! What I always do is right click "Quote" then select 'open in a new window'. Especially since these pages are so PAINFULLY slow. Then you can keep referring back to the original pages if need be.

Quote:

As for the PQ of the DT502, I have a problem with what is being defined as different levels of PQ, so I don't put my two cents worth in about it. I feel it can be very subjective.

Do you think that has anything to do with the channel being analog or digital, or SD or HD, or is it happening regardless of any of that?

Quote:

If you've found a "newer spreadsheet," why didn't you give us a link to it?

Because I couldn't find it. Otherwise I would have posted it. It was you that pointed me to it so I would think you knew. (I didn't realize at the time when I mentioned it above that it was you that showed it to me. ) But I searched and found it here. Does anyone know of one newer than that? (I went ahead and edited my previous post above where I mentioned it, and put the link in it).

God Bless,
-Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 04-22-2009, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I thought you were referring to one that was newer than Oct 2008.
post #33 of 43 Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

If you look at most other forums, you don't see posters quoting full previous posts, which causes the thread to become full of redundencies and excessively long. Matter of fact, they discourage the practice.

http://www.dslreports.com/
http://www.digitalhome.ca/
http://www.gasbuddy.com/
post #34 of 43 Old 04-22-2009, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm with you , Systems2000, quick reply where possible. My computer fan is on a lot and unresponsive, so why add unnecessary page changes? Plus, some info is hidden in the long reply format.

Since the OP is counting himself among the "2 posters" with opinions, now there are two on the other side who say don't quote unless there are conversations separating the related posts.

Excessive quoting doubles the page length and makes it harder to scroll through pages and read through a reply. If it isn't needed, it's clutter. There were no conversations separating the question and answer, just a two word comment from the OP. And if the OP isn't following a thread closely, then who is? It was obvious which question. If Systems2000 were referring to a question way upthread, that's when it needs an extended reference, but not necessarily quoting.
post #35 of 43 Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought you were referring to one that was newer than Oct 2008.

I wish.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #36 of 43 Old 04-22-2009, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you look at most other forums, you don't see posters quoting full previous posts, which causes the thread to become full of redundencies and excessively long. Matter of fact, they discourage the practice.

http://www.dslreports.com/
http://www.digitalhome.ca/
http://www.gasbuddy.com/

I'm not concerned with other forums, only this one. I've belonged to DSL Reports for years, and they are full of really rude people, even more than here. (As seen on some of the Kuro threads).

No one is talking about quoting an ENTIRE post if the post is long and not all of it is being addressed. I always delete the parts that are N/A. But no one in their right mind, is going to claim that just replying without any context does in any way add to or promote a forum's help-ability. In fact, it's the contrary.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #37 of 43 Old 04-22-2009, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

I'm with you , Systems2000, quick reply where possible.

Exactly, "quick reply where possible", or as I have been saying, a quick reply when one is not replying to anything specific!!

Quote:

My computer fan is on a lot and unresponsive, so why add unnecessary page changes? Plus, some info is hidden in the long reply format.

What the heck does a computer fan have to do with changes on a webpage?? Active thread pages here are going to change regardless of whether or not someone quotes or not! If one is going to reply to a thread, and, reply to a specific question, then what the heck difference does it make to a PC fan if "Quote" is used? I suggest you get your PC fixed so others are able to get the most from a thread. You want your posts, your replies to count for something, don't you?? Do you not want your helpful replies to be of benefit to everyone, without causing them uncalled for unnecessary work?

Quote:

Since the OP is counting himself among the "2 posters" with opinions, now there are two on the other side who say don't quote unless there are conversations separating the related posts.

If you would like to turn my thread into a netiquette poll thread, I would be glad to join you on a new thread dedicated to this.

Quote:

Excessive quoting doubles the page length and makes it harder to scroll through pages and read through a reply.

Totally irrelevant! Page lengths are fixed! C'mon, a page is only a specific length. This does not change with the amounts of replies, or quotes. A completed forum "page" is X kb in size, regardless of the amount of quotes. Now the length of a thread can change with no quotes, sure. But what good is that to ones that are trying to read the thread and are forced to have to do endless searches and clicks in order to find out what the hell an answer is in answer TO?? You wanna talk about "excessive scrolling" and page turns, that'll do it!

And how is it any harder to scroll through a forum page with respect to the number of quotes??? Scrolling is scrolling, your scroll wheel requires no more effort on a page full of nothing but replies, or a page full of quotes. What about all the unnecessary posts where people have to ASK what something is about! Many posts that would otherwise not ever have to be posted if someone would have quoted!

Quote:

If it isn't needed, it's clutter.

Again, I totally agree! IF it's not needed! But the fact I had to ask at least once about specific posts obviously indicated they WERE needed in those cases!

Quote:

There were no conversations separating the question and answer, just a two word comment from the OP.

Irrelevant. As someone else pointed out, how to do you know how many are replying, while YOU are in the process of replying??

Quote:

And if the OP isn't following a thread closely, then who is? It was obvious which question.

So now I'm being accused of ignoring posts?? If I were not following my own freakin' thread, then I would not have replied to the damn post in the first place!!

Quote:

If Systems2000 were referring to a question way upthread, that's when it needs an extended reference, but not necessarily quoting.

So you think it best to make more work for everyone to have to search through an entire freakin' thread to find to what the person is responding? Which is more "lazy": One that refuses to click "Quote" instead of "Reply", or, one that doesn't think it should be necessary to have to keep asking things like "What is that in reference to", or to having to potentially waste hours to search through threads in order to find proper context and what an blank answer is in reply TO??

Do you enjoy listening to one-sided telephone conversations, and you are able to understand EVERYTHING about that conversation? Of course not.

How would like to receive a transcript of a support chat session, and have it only include the text from ONE contributor???? Oh that would be nice. How can anyone refer back to that transcript and make any sense out of it!

How much sense would this post make if I would not have quoted your text in the areas above!?!?!

"Yes".

"No".

"Maybe".

"Sometimes".

Etc.

Now much sense, and help, do posts such as those 4 examples above give????? Do they make more sense, and are they of any help, compared to this:

Quote:

Quote:

Are there any firmware updates for [blah]?

No.

That example immediately above, requires absolutely no guessing, nor any uncalled for searching on anyone's part! It is concise, in full context, and of total help to anyone wondering the same thing. And might I add, it didn't require anymore "work" on the part of the one that replied! In fact, I'm beginning to think that not quoting is just out of pure spite!

I can't actually believe I'm even having to explain any of this BS.

If you or anyone still feels the need to morph this thread into a forum issue thread, then please start a new thread. I made a simple polite request, and any further "netiquette" propagation which that has spawned is uncalled for. You want to talk about making threads longer, now look what's happened to this one!

God Bless,
-Clint
post #38 of 43 Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've belonged to DSL Reports for years, and they are full of really rude people, even more than here.

It was definitely the place to be in the day (I'm an original member). Now it's full of wantabe's.

Quote:

…your scroll wheel…

What scroll wheel? I use a trackball.

Please remember that not everyone has the most up to date hardware/software and may be using a WebTV, cell phone, or dial-up.
post #39 of 43 Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
S2K:

1. If you don't want to use the Quote function (yes, it does take a little more time in this forum's software), then repeat a little bit of the other post so that that we know what you're answering.

2. Neither Clint nor I ever advocated repeating "entire" posts, except when they're very short and there's nothing extra to edit out.
post #40 of 43 Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

It was definitely the place to be in the day (I'm an original member). Now it's full of wantabe's.

The same could probably be said for this forum.

I'm not an "original" member by a long shot, but when I joined, it was a lot more mature and civlized.

Also, a lot more industry people and outright shills have discovered it as time has gone on, so you have to question the motives of more people in places like the Programming forums. Many are just extreme "fanboys", but some are so full of BS, PR-type hype when they talk, that you have to be kind of suspicious.
post #41 of 43 Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

... you have to be kind of suspicious.

We have suspicions that you are promoting Ram trucks.
post #42 of 43 Old 04-25-2009, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What scroll wheel? I use a trackball.

Please remember that not everyone has the most up to date hardware/software and may be using a WebTV, cell phone, or dial-up.

That was addressed to "speaking rodent" () since that was to whom I was replying. At any rate, they're only about 4 bucks should one need one.

Since I couldn't get anyone from Apex to reply to my emails, and since I couldn't find any "sheet", webpage, or anything else with the correct CECB specs, and my coupons expired on the 27th, I had to order anyway. http://dtvconverterboxes.blogspot.com/ is also full of erroneous contradictory info. They'll state something on the review page (if you can call it that), then state something totally different on the comparison chart page! Plus they too don't even list box connections.

After seeing the horrible user reviews on the 502 at Amazon (avg 1.5 stars), there was no way I was going to get that one. I had to order by going with the ones that had the fewest negative reviews. It's pathetic there is no manufacturer that has the sense to make a box with S-Video, APT, a decent EPG, auto aspect ratio, THAT WORKS. Most complain about remotes that don't even work! What ever happened to quality control and testing??

I also noticed that the a-hole manufacturers and/or sellers of the then recent on-the-list CECB's, jacked their prices up as soon as they found out the Gov't was giving a coupon program! Boxes that once were 20-30 bucks, suddenly went to 40-60 bucks! That should be illegal.

Since one box had to have S-Video, I got the ChannelMaster CM7000 (avg 4.0 stars), but it's really lacking in similar areas as the others, and that's also a problematic remote. Since the other box had to be able to work with batteries in some way, for that I had to get the Winegard RCDT09A (avg 4.5 stars). These were two that got the fewest negative reviews.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #43 of 43 Old 04-25-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Also, a lot more industry people and outright skills have discovered it as time has gone on, so you have to question the motives of more people in places like the Programming forums. Many are just extreme "fanboys", but some are so full of BS, PR-type hype when they talk, that you have to be kind of suspicious.

Yeah I've noticed that too, one reason why I never go there anymore. Anytime anyone complains about how their ISP has screwed something up, the same group of "ISP PR mouthpieces" reply blaming the person for all the problems. It's obvious since they mention the same ridiculous "checklist" that the ISP's will tell you--those intelligence-insulting things like "did you restart your computer", etc., then still manage to blame everything on your PC, modem, router, or lines (even after all have been replaced).

God Bless,
-Clint
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page