Anyone want to hook up Multiple conv boxs W/ mltpl recordrs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone need to know how hook up 3 or more Digital converter boxes to a or multiple analog DVR/VCR devices to record multiple channels simultaneously, and possibly to watch another at the same time?

I have done this quite sucessfully. And I am not limited to recording a particular channel on any particular recorder. I have 3 recorders, one is a Pioneer DVR-640, two are VCRs, and any one of these can be programmed to record any of the 3 (or more if you like) channels converted by my 3 DTV converter boxes; at any time, without changing the DTV converter box channel. I am also not limited to recording from any particular DTV converter box from any of the three (or more if you like) recorders.

It is not easy to figure out. I convert all DTV converter outputs to analog RF, different channels. It's easy to do 2, as you can use analog RF channels built-in to the converter boxes. The trick is the third, and subsequent DTV converted-to-analog signals, and combining them. Sure, you can wire the composite output from a converter box to a recorder, but then you are limited to recording from that converter box on that recorder only. I wanted versatility to record all the channels on any recorder at any time, without having to manually change the DTV converter box channel before the recording starts - this causes some missed recordings.

I could diagram it for you, but it would take me a couple of hours. So I need to know first, is anyone interested?

George Carlin: "IsnÂt it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do ÂpracticeÂ?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-29-2009, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalloweenWeed View Post

Does anyone need to know how hook up 3 or more Digital converter boxes to a or multiple analog DVR/VCR devices to record multiple channels simultaneously, and possibly to watch another at the same time?

I have done this quite sucessfully. And I am not limited to recording a particular channel on any particular recorder. I have 3 recorders, one is a Pioneer DVR-640, two are VCRs, and any one of these can be programmed to record any of the 3 (or more if you like) channels converted by my 3 DTV converter boxes; at any time, without changing the DTV converter box channel. I am also not limited to recording from any particular DTV converter box from any of the three (or more if you like) recorders.

It is not easy to figure out. I convert all DTV converter outputs to analog RF, different channels. It's easy to do 2, as you can use analog RF channels built-in to the converter boxes. The trick is the third, and subsequent DTV converted-to-analog signals, and combining them. Sure, you can wire the composite output from a converter box to a recorder, but then you are limited to recording from that converter box on that recorder only. I wanted versatility to record all the channels on any recorder at any time, without having to manually change the DTV converter box channel before the recording starts - this causes some missed recordings.

I could diagram it for you, but it would take me a couple of hours. So I need to know first, is anyone interested?

I have many Panasonic, Philips and Magnavox DVD and HDD/DVD recorders but only one is currently set up for OTA recording. (I currently have eight digital tuner DVD recorders and one analog tuner DVD recorder in daily use. I stopped using videotape as a recording medium in 2005.) I use two Zenith CECBs connected to composite Line Inputs 1 & 2 on a Panasonic DMR-ES15 DVD recorder, an analog-tuner model. A third CECB (I have a Zinwell ZAT-970A still in its box) could be connected to the DMR-ES15 RF input. Any of those inputs may be selected as the input source for manually initiated or scheduled recordings. One just needs to remember to which channels the CECBs are tuned. For me it's as simple as that.
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 12 Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalloweenWeed View Post

I have done this quite successfully. And I am not limited to recording a particular channel on any particular recorder. I have 3 recorders, one is a Pioneer DVR-640, two are VCRs, and any one of these can be programmed to record any of the 3 (or more if you like) channels converted by my 3 DTV converter boxes; at any time, without changing the DTV converter box channel. I am also not limited to recording from any particular DTV converter box from any of the three (or more if you like) recorders.

There are many people that would be interested in you expanding on how you have your units hooked up.

Please do post back!

PS: Diagrams would be a BIG plus.. (As a picture is worth a 1,000 words) and a great item to point people to that are looking for hook-up info.....

post #4 of 12 Old 04-29-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget, when you use the RF outputs of the CECB's, you lose stereo audio.

That said, you can use any VSAT Modulator to take the RF output (3/4) of any CECB and remodulated it to another channel.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/VSAT/Modulators.htm

This one does stereo RF output: CE LABS 1001ST Stereo Agile RF Modulator

USEFUL LINKS:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

That said, you can use any VSAT Modulator to take the RF output (3/4) of any CECB and remodulated it to another channel.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/VSAT/Modulators.htm

This one does stereo RF output: CE LABS 1001ST Stereo Agile RF Modulator

WOW!!! The one I used only cost $42 ea!
http://www.telonixshop.com/store/cat...M-10H&x=6&y=13
Holland HMM-10H Multimedia Single Modulator

I will work on the diagram.

George Carlin: "IsnÂt it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do ÂpracticeÂ?"
post #6 of 12 Old 05-01-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.mainelycontrols.com/pics/...iagram2008.pdf

This converts DTV over-the-air channels to analog RF channels, to allow your recorders to record any converted channel at any time without changing the channel on the CECBs, provided that you have 1 CECB per DTV channel that you might record.

Advantages (some): CHEAP: Cost is only 2CECB+cables+$30+2amplifiers for both first two CECB, Can use CECB+cables+$45 for addtional channels; not including the TV, splitters, and antenna of course.
Don't ever have to change converter box channel after setup.
All recording devices with analog RF inputs can record any channel, any time.
You can use your old analog DVRs such as Pioneer DVR-640 for all channels you convert.
Doesn't require an AV professional to hook up.
You don't need a rack for AV equipment, they are just small boxes that can lay on the floor, inside or behind the TV cabinet.
The Holland SC-x does not require power.

Disadvantages: You must program your recorders only for channels 3,4, and others must be between 14 and 83. This means you must translate your channel numbers yourself. Mine are: 2=4, 3=6, and 14=13 for instance.
Uses up a line input to your TV set for each recorder used, and you must have at least that number of line inputs.
The Holland HMM-10H instructions are too cryptic, making it hard to program.
You must (temporarily) rewire in order to record directly from most recorders to most recorders.
I have been told that you do not get stereo sound from the RF outputs on the CECBs. Therefore, if this is true, this setup would not transmit stereo to the recorders/TV on analog channels 3 and 4 only.

post #7 of 12 Old 05-02-2009, 02:26 AM

That's alot more hardware than I was hoping to see. But it has the advantage of being expandable until it forms its own cable system.

When I replaced my antenna a few years ago I went looking for a cheap distribution amp and scored an Archer 15-1290 on ebay for less than $10 delivered. With it plus two splitters (one used as combiner) and cables it's theoretically possible to put 4 CECB's on all three of the Archer's RF outputs simultaneously.
CECB _ Archer Input _ On Channel _ Notes
CECB1 _ Composite _ 14-20 _ Thumbwheels to select output
CECB2 _ AUX RF 3 _ 63-68 _ channel are very touchy.
CECB3 _ Antenna _ 3 _ Combine CECB
CECB4 _ Antenna _ 4 _ outputs together.

Currently, I have a wireless camera on the composite input, available to the TV and both recorders on channel 14. And DTVPal's channel 3 output on the AUX input is available on channel 65 which I thought would look like crap because of the extra RF translation, but actually looks okay.

post #8 of 12 Old 05-02-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was going for cheap, do to job cutbacks. If I was to do it over again, and had $50 more, I would not have done the Holland SC-x's. I didn't know at the time that I was going to need an amplifier after them. Fortunately, I just happened to get one just in case; I thought I might need it in a different location.

I would recommend to others just going with all Holland HMM-10H's, dont mess with the SC's.

I think I will update that diagram to show what I recommend, and I will post that soon.

post #9 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

This is the diagram I recommend to other people, to set up their own system:

http://www.mainelycontrols.com/pics/...iagram2009.pdf

This converts DTV over-the-air channels to analog RF channels, to allow your recorders to record any converted channel at any time without changing the channel on the CECBs, provided that you have 1 CECB per DTV channel that you might record.

Basically, what my diagram is here, is a splitter to the CECBs, which are connected via composite cables to Holland HMM-10H's, the outputs of these go into a splitter backwards used as a combiner, then that splitter is connected to a forward splitter to distribute the analog RF to all analog TV's and analog RF input recorders.

Advantages (some): CHEAP: Cost is only CECB+cables and splitters+$50 for each channel; not including the TV, and antenna of course.
Don't ever have to change converter box channel after setup.
All recording devices with analog RF inputs can record any channel, any time.
You can use your old analog DVRs such as Pioneer DVR-640 for all channels you convert.
Doesn't require an AV professional to hook up.
You don't need a rack for AV equipment, they are just small boxes that can lay on the floor, inside or behind the TV cabinet.

Disadvantages: You must program your recorders only for the channels you select, and they must be between 14 and 83 inclusive. Channels 14-83 (old UHF channels) can be programmed to be the same number as before. This means you must translate your (old VHF) channel numbers yourself. For instance: 22=2, 44=4, 14=13, 51=51, and 23=23 (you decide).
Uses up a line input to your TV set for each recorder used, and you must have at least that number of line inputs.
The Holland HMM-10H instructions are too cryptic, making it hard to program.
You must (temporarily) rewire in order to record directly from most recorders to most recorders.

post #10 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had thought about a setup like that but it was cheaper and easier to buy 1 CECB for each non-ATSC recorder and set up the timers on both.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #11 of 12 Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Her is a product that can help streamline the setup.
http://www.linearcorp.com/product_de...?productId=171

USEFUL LINKS:

post #12 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

Her is a product that can help streamline the setup.
http://www.linearcorp.com/product_de...?productId=171

I have one of them - but again, it doesn't solve the whole problem.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page