Apex dt150 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 05-01-2009, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone been to CompUSA to purchase an APEX DT150 for $40.01?

It appears like it could be proprietary to only there and http://www.TigerDirect.com/

It has S-VIDEO, Smart-Antenna, RS-232 port, external 3/4 channel switch, Front Panel control for Power, Channel UP/DOWN, & UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, OK control.

I wonder what the MENU system looks like.

If it does Channel Add and has either a Samsung or Silicon tuner, I may have to make a trip to CompUSA or pay the S&H.

Apex_DT150_DS.pdf 297.5927734375k . file

USEFUL LINKS:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-01-2009, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Why does the system take my caps and replace them with lowercase? I had titled this thread in CAPS.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #3 of 32 Old 05-01-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I missed, that what I thought were Channel UP/DOWN buttons, are actually EXIT and MENU buttons.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #4 of 32 Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

Why does the system take my caps and replace them with lowercase? I had titled this thread in CAPS.

Um, 'cause you just don't RATE, man...

Just kidding...wanted to give the thread a bump so maybe someone who's seen the DT150 in action will comment.

Did notice from the Wikipedia entry comparing CECBs (which has a lot of info. totally WRONG about this device, btw) that it has the same Chinese manufacturer as the APEX 250 and 502--not well-regarded units. On the other hand, this looks to be much more fully featured than those (Wikipedia's CECB comparison chart notwithstanding), so mebbe it's better all around/has an upgraded EPG, reception, setup menus, remote power, etc. (the DT150's remote looks identical to the 250's except it's now black, but maybe the innards are different, but I doubt it). FYI: Google Audioholic's review of CECBs for more info, e.g. on the APEX 250. Also: wonder whether/assume the RS232 port is for firmware upgrades--does APEX have a good record on firmware support after product launches?
post #5 of 32 Old 05-04-2009, 04:58 PM

Woohoo!

(I'm easily self-amused...)
post #6 of 32 Old 05-04-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the EZDigital page - http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/APEX_DT150.html

USEFUL LINKS:

post #7 of 32 Old 05-05-2009, 08:51 AM

How old is the Apex DT150 compared to the other Apex models.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-05-2009, 02:45 PM

Well I was all ready to spend my $ 0.01, plus gov't coupon, on one of these things at my neighborhood CompUSA outlet store but they didn't have any. They did have loads of Artec and AccessHD units though (..I wonder why ). Anyway, I will try again in a couple of weeks.

_Lazza
post #9 of 32 Old 05-05-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

APEX doesn't list it on their website and there is information that hints at the DT150 being in the works during Jan of 2008.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #10 of 32 Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM

No mention of analog passthrough makes me think it is vaporware.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.tigerdirect.com/ listed it as available and my research seems to indicate that it doesn't have APT.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #12 of 32 Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM

Hmmm... is the lack of APT with this unit an indication that it is of an older (late 2007/early 2008) design? It seems nearly all of the newer, quality CECBs have analog passthrough.

Or perhaps since analog broadcasts are about finished could this in fact be a new design? Presumably once the CECB program ends newly introduced STBs will come without APT?

_Lazza
post #13 of 32 Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It could also be a requirement that was not requested by CompUSA/TigerDirect.com.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #14 of 32 Old 05-06-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Has anyone been to CompUSA to purchase an APEX DT150 for $40.01? It appears like it could be proprietary to only there and http://www.TigerDirect.com/....... I wonder what the MENU system looks like.

i havnt...but i am tempted....i have one coupon left....it would be a very long way to go for me tho....so idk if i will....but on paper it looks like a very interesting converter...and no other cecb i've seen has so many on-the-box buttons/functions....

it has a channel recall button on the remote, which i think is essential....it also has has S video and a smart antenna port...the epg seems to have some hours worth of 'look ahead' but no program description info? see manual pg 21...idk why but it seems tiger removed the manual link from its page...but i saved it and it still works.... it has some menu screen shots >

http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/DT150_Manual_Ver1_5.pdf

*** its high time to go back to OTA antennas and CANCEL our cable/satellite pay tv services! their greed is totally & insanely out of control! ***
post #15 of 32 Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Sunkey SK-801ATSC is the only CECB that I've come across that doesn't have channel recall.

Your link returns "Page Not Found" for me.

I was hoping that this unit had firmware similar to the DT502 (with possible 30-day EPG and multiple line program description) and included "Channel Add."

USEFUL LINKS:

post #16 of 32 Old 05-08-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:

.....Your link returns "Page Not Found" for me. ......"

hmmmm....idk why but avs changed the link destination for some reason....look at what it becomes in the status bar at page bottom b4 u click on it.....very strange....whats that all about?

so just copy & paste it as a url....i just tried it again and it still works >

http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/DT150_Manual_Ver1_5.pdf

*** its high time to go back to OTA antennas and CANCEL our cable/satellite pay tv services! their greed is totally & insanely out of control! ***
post #17 of 32 Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 AM

Tried to copy/paste, but the pasted url was still that changed url.

Entered it manually--with underscores where the "spaces" are in the underlined url, and it worked.

I, too, am interested in the EPG features; unfortunately, they look rather weak in the manual's drawings.

If someone grabs this, let us know all about it!
post #18 of 32 Old 05-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Thanks Willdao. It seems one has to copy and paste the text of the url (or type it from scratch) into the browser. Clicking on the url produces an error.

I would be interested in folks who have other models of Apex CECBs to see if they can tell whether this model is brand new or just a rebranding exercise. The date of the users manual is mid-2008; presumably these devices are made at that time or later. Hopefully this means early snafus with Apex CECBs are not present with the dt150.

_Lazza
post #19 of 32 Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazza View Post

....... The date of the users manual is mid-2008; presumably these devices are made at that time or later. Hopefully this means early snafus with Apex CECBs are not present with the dt150._Lazza

what kind of problems did the early APEX boxes have?

post #20 of 32 Old 05-09-2009, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The only problem I know of is that the first DT502's have a tendency to freeze on fringe stations. My later ones don't. See DT502 thread.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #21 of 32 Old 05-12-2009, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looking through the PDF of the manual, it appears the firmware is similar to the DT250. I did notice that the meter is very similar to the Zenith/Insignia CECB. I also noted that it appears that you have to do a rescan to "ADD" new channels.

Why doesn't APEX understand "Rotors?" They've supported S-Video and Smart-Antenna very well, but completely screw-up when it comes to multi-direction setups. I wish someone at APEX would think about producing a firmware update at least for the DT502.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #22 of 32 Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 PM

has anyone had any experience with this APEX DT150 model? ...it would be nice to get an actual users opinion of it...

looking at the manual it appears that the epg just has simple NOW/NEXT PROGRAM titles with no program description info?

post #23 of 32 Old 06-08-2009, 11:43 AM

If you need a directional antenna to pick up sufficent DTV signal, then you do NOT want this converter box. If you scan channels with one antenna position it picks up those channels, BUT if you relocate to a new antenna positon and rescan, then it deletes all of your old channels and scans in the new ones. If you type in the real RF frequency of a channel in a new antenna location, the box will find the new DTV channel number, BUT it will NOT allow you to add the new channel to your intitally scanned channels. IE you can NOT ADD Channels to your 1st Auto channel scan.
Tech support suggested a SMART Antenna as the solution, but the specs on these antennas signal gain, seem to be for those few folk who live in the shadow of the TV transmitter towers, not the real users of converter boxes (those of us who live beyond where the TV cable company's lines end). Also the EPG program guide text on this unit is so small you almost have to be setting on top of the TV to read it (NO adjustment that I can find). Also the actual auto scan time for this unit is 2-3 times longer than other units I have tried, ie (I suspect it is trying to adjust for a smart antenna even though the unit knows that it doesn't have one attached to it).
I trully wanted to like this unit because with the extra buttons on it, you CAN actually use this box without the remote, (I am a strong beliver that ALL devices should be like this). The actual reception of the box is also pretty good. But HOW can a vendor actually sell a product which will not allow you to set up to veiw ALL the stations in a viewers reception area??? I thought that what the boxes were being sold for.
post #24 of 32 Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't understand APEX's thinking on this issue. It's the same with the DT502. It appears that they don't understand the use of a rotator. If a user has a fixed antenna, these CECB's are great! For those of us who depend upon rotors, the design could be better.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #25 of 32 Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Where did you find your DT150?

USEFUL LINKS:

post #26 of 32 Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 AM

I searched a lot of places looking for this unit. It seems that CompUSA/Tigerdirect is the only places selling this Apex unit. A little off topic but do any of you know a reasonable place to order the Zinwell ZAT-950 converter?
post #27 of 32 Old 06-11-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv-tester View Post

I searched a lot of places looking for this unit. It seems that CompUSA/Tigerdirect is the only places selling this Apex unit[img]https://********************/smile4.gif[/img]. A little off topic but do any of you know a reasonable place to order the Zinwell ZAT-950 converter?

Also remember that if you do purchase from tigerdirect to use the bing cashback. I think its at 8% right now.
post #28 of 32 Old 07-02-2009, 12:35 PM

Apex Digital DT150

Printed on the motherboard board (MB) is:
---
APEX_DT1001_MB_V1.3 2007/08/26
---
T-M 3703E4-AR
94V-0
---

Chips:
---
Zoran ZR39741HGCF
B0 Y7DM0803HW
SupraHD 741
---
hynix (not able to read the print since it has been written on by a marker, not by
me of course, this is how it was when I first opened the unit.)
---

NOTE: If you would like more details, ask.
post #29 of 32 Old 07-02-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can you give a review of it's operation and what the EPG is like?

Does it allow you to do a manual or channel add scan?

USEFUL LINKS:

post #30 of 32 Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 PM

What tuner does it use - Thomson, Samsung, or some other?
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page