Anyone with a converter being "denied" letterboxed output? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 182 Old 06-16-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They're at it again. Same NBC affiliate, only now they're doing it to ALL programming.

All this time they've been using the AFD signal to lock the "zoom" setting in place for local and national news, and sometimes for Leno and Fallon. All other programming has been "freed" from their control.

Suddenly strange things started happening Monday night this week. EVERYTHING from them was zoomed, even commercials that were obviously done as widescreen. (Hillarious to see advertisers onscreen lettering being cut off on both sides of a 4x3 fullscreen image.)

E-mails to the station have led to them claiming there was a "problem" of some sort as of Monday afternoon, which was fixed by early Tuesday morning. Thing is, the "forced zoom" setting is still there. No other station, just the NBC affilate on ALL programming, local and network.

They've been told this, and are now claiming they've sent out the AFD signal non-stop for the last year.

Yeah. That's why I've been able to watch stuff in letterboxed format from them. Because they've had a non-stop AFD signal. Sure. And the cow jumped over the moon.

I've contacted the station's management and complained, including about the fact the guy who e-mailed me twice gave no title in his replies. I have no idea if he's the station's general manager or the janitor.

Next stop, the FCC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 182 Old 12-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My pal plus recently started forcing to zoom on the local NBC channel, but only on primary signal, returning to full/16:9 during commercials.

It did this on the network and local news both.

I contacted their engineer.
They have been very on top of the digital stuff, especially since they are still on a VHF frequency.

It isn't doing it now.
I'll have to check the news later.

Monitor is a sony 16:9 crt.

I have had some stations reverse the 16:9 and 4:3 signals on the pal, but I can manually change those.
I don't know what that's about.

The only time I've seen this before was on a different channel.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page