channelmaster7000 remote control codes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-10-2009, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to get the channelmaster7000 remote control code that is compatable with a panasonic dvd recorder, model DMR-EA!8. The pany dvd has a set top box cable interfaced with the cm7000 and which should allow me to sync.
I am able to get video picture from an over the air antenna , into the cm7000 , then into my pany dvr , out the panny and then into my tv ok. I am unable to use the pany remote (which I need for scheduling a recording) to talk to the cm7000 and change channels. How can I find the cm7000 remote control code that the panny remote can generate can would allow me to use/sync the dvd recorder's remote so as to change the cm7000 channel setting?
All help will be much appreciated, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 02:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Just going by the three Panny recorders I own, you can't even use the Panny remote to control an external tuner (just the TV). You'll most likely have to use the CM remote to control the tuner when you're watching it.

As far as changing the channels on the tuner when setting recording timers, there must be something in the menu setup of the Panny where you can enter the code to control the tuner using the IR blaster. The CM uses a Pioneer cable box code, so look in the code list in the manual for that.

The only way to use one remote for both would be to go out and buy an aftermarket universal or learning remote. Learning would be best, because I'm pretty sure you won't find a pre-programmed one which will work all the buttons and features on both units (I'm positive you won't with the Channel Master - the remote control codes only work the channel, numerical and volume buttons - no guide, info or menus).
post #3 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the information.

I have tried every pioneer control code listed in the panny dvr operating manual , and not been able to get a sync. As you mentioned , I was using the panny hand held remote & it did not communicate.

Question, the Channelmaster cm7000 was previously set up with over the air tv channels & was used successfully to talk thru the panny dvr, into the tv set ok (got a picture on tv set & changed channels) . Could it be that the cm7000 pre existeng (channel setups inside cm7000) is preventing the panny remote codes from interfacing/syncing the other way?
Also, might it be possible to control the panny dvr using the cm7000 hand held remote?
post #4 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 12:25 PM

In another thread is some discussion re: universal remotes and Pioneer cable box codes and CM7000. Several people reported "fair" results, getting NO functions or partial few functions to work, in spite of trying every available Pioneer cable box code. The only "excellent" result was by someone using a learning remote. Of several remotes I tried, the best could do: numerics, mute, volume +/- and channel +/- and power on/off. But most universal remotes had much lower success. Here is link to that thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...s#post16530109

So perhaps the CM designers got things wrong and CM7000 it is not really so same as Pioneer. Or most of the universal remote makers get things wrong about signals for the Pioneer cable box?? Either way, I think we should have LOW expectations about the 'CM7000 = Pioneer Cable Box' accuracy.

How does the Panasonic send "change channel" command to the CM? Is it sending the numeric digits (0053 for channel 5.3 ?) or channel up/down or what? And how are you testing to see if it works or not? There are several variables and several places where something can go screwy, not just getting the Pioneer code right.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja1 View Post

In another thread is some discussion re: universal remotes and Pioneer cable box codes and CM7000. Several people reported "fair" results, getting NO functions or partial few functions to work, in spite of trying every available Pioneer cable box code.

I think ninjal has a point. I know the CM7000 manual states it uses a Pioneer cable box code and many people repeat this, yet I've never heard of any specific model Pioneer cable box remote having an effect on the CM7000. On the other hand, there's been specific instances of Zinwell remotes having an effect on the CM7000 (and CM7000 remotes effecting Zinwells). The Zinwell codes are associated with Satellite codes, specifically DirecTV Satellite codes. I think people will have more luck trying these codes than Pioneer cable box codes.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja1 View Post

How does the Panasonic send "change channel" command to the CM? Is it sending the numeric digits (0053 for channel 5.3 ?) or channel up/down or what? And how are you testing to see if it works or not? There are several variables and several places where something can go screwy, not just getting the Pioneer code right.

Panasonic DVDRs (ones with TVGOS and a IR blaster) send out the digits or a up/down code depending on what you do. If you push up or down the CM goes up or down one channel. If you enter 23 the CM goes to 23.1. If you enter 232 the CM goes to 23.2. The problem is single digit sub channels other than the main or .1 channel. Panasonic DVDRs do not have the . code and don't send out leading zeros, so you can't directly access something like 2.2. You'd need to go to the channel above or below and then use the channel up/down command. This does not work for scheduled events using the timer
And yes I just used the first Pioneer code in the Panasonics setup, I think the second one also worked too but neither had the . command.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 06:03 PM

@jjeff:
Seems like you are having loads of success compared to OP, who apparently has no communications whatsoever between Panasonic and CM.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies.

I said that I could not get any pioneer code in the manual to sync to the cm7000, Explicitly, I mean , I have tried inputing each code thru the panny dvr routine called , other settings , "using the units remote control to operate the tv and set top box ( cable , satellite receiver)" routine . this routine requires you to :
First similtaniously hold down the remote's set top box power button & channel button.This may initialize the set up function.
Next :
hold down the remote's set top channel button and while holding , enter a numeric 4 digit code (I tried all the pioneer codes listed) .. After each entry , the test for operability is to hold the channel button down for 5 seconds . If the function does not work , try another code number.
I have tried to follow these directions by rote. Perhaps I am missing something?
post #9 of 16 Old 06-13-2009, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

This Post is talking about the Zenith CECB and Artwire has a EA-38 (like your EA-18 but lacks the VHS section) but maybe you'll be able to get something from his posts. He had a heck of a time getting things to work but it sounds like eventually it worked out.
I have a older ES series Panny DVDR w/TVGOS and setup was quite easy. When I entered Pioneer STB it gave me something like 3 choices and 2 of the 3 worked. You'd think the newer EA-18 would be even easier to setup, but that doesn't sound like the case.
If you get things working maybe you could take the time to post the trick in This post, the official EA-18 thread.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-14-2009, 02:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It sounds like the Panasonic remote cannot control the CM tuner - and I believe the OP is just concerned about that, not the IR blaster code that we're confusing them with. Actually, I suspected that right from the start, but against my better judgement (because I had a feeling it might just confuse them), went and got into the "IR blaster code" part anyway.

The CM remote definitely cannot control any other device than the CM tuner - it's not a "universal" remote.

So I go back to what I said - if you want a remote control which will control both units, and all the buttons at that, you will need to use an aftermarket learning remote. There are some relatively inexpensive ones out there.

If you don't want to do that, your only choice is to continue using both of the separate, dedicated remotes that came with each device.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-14-2009, 03:08 AM

Liked: 11
I'm trying to get a Dish TV universal remote to work with the CM7000 if anybody has any ideas. None of the Pioneer codes do anything. The Dish remote only accepts 3 didgit codes as far as I can tell.

I think this is the remote I have:

http://www.solidsignal.tv/prod_display.asp?PROD=ES3831
post #12 of 16 Old 06-14-2009, 03:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you've tried every code possible when using "AUX" as the source button, then the Dish remote just doesn't carry the code. As far as the "TV" and "VCR" source buttons, I'm almost positive you can't program cable box codes into those on Dish remotes (you can't on mine, anyway).

Many universal and learning remotes have a code which will work all or most of the Dish tuner features. Most also contain the code for the CM box, too (and it most definitely is a Pioneer cable box code).

But if you want to work every feature on the CM (guide, menu, info), you will definitely need a learning remote, rather than a universal one. As far as I know, there has never been a universal remote found that can control those features using a code - just channel, mute, number pad and volume.

(edit: I see that remote you have is one for a Dish DVR. In that case, you'd have to make sure you found an aftermarket learning remote that is specifically designed for DVR's - so you'll be sure to have all, or at least most of the same buttons.)
post #13 of 16 Old 06-14-2009, 03:37 AM

Liked: 11
OH well, just trying to reduce the clutter.

Dish 508
TV
CM7000
VCR
DVD
RCA Rotator
Ceiling Fan/Light

You get the drift ....
post #14 of 16 Old 06-14-2009, 03:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds like a good case for a "Harmony" or a "Universal" brand remote.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-14-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant sing well View Post

Perhaps I am missing something?

Are you sure the CM is configured to recognize the Pioneer remote codes? This is setup option which can be turned on or off. Using the CM remote, press MENU, then Setup(the wrench/screwdriver icon), then 'Universal RC', then 'Pioneer Cable Code', and make sure appropriate checkbox is checked. If the 'Off' box is checkmarked, then all the Pioneer remote signals will be ignored.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-14-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

It sounds like the Panasonic remote cannot control the CM tuner - and I believe the OP is just concerned about that, not the IR blaster code that we're confusing them with.

Ahh, I get it now. If this is the case then no, I don't believe the Panasonic DVDRs remote (which has a simple universal remote built in, CH up CH down, Video input and volume) will be able to directly control the CM-7000 that way. I use that simple universal part of my DVDR remote to control my Sony TV but not my CM.
What was confusing was the Panny EA-18 DVDR can control the CM using the IR blaster but in this case you wouldn't use the universal remote part of the Panny DVDR remote but you'd use the main buttons. Kind of talking about 2 separate and very different things.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)