Magnavox Digital Conv - RF problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-17-2009, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had this Magnavox digital converter (model number TB110MVW) a couple months now and its been working fine. The other night, since all channels are going digital, I decided to do a scan. Big mistake.

Plus, I am not that savy with this sort of thing. sigh

I hit the RF button, which turned everything off, leaving me no way that I can see to turn it back on. Now I have a snowy tv like anyone who never bought anything.

This morning I phoned the company, here's what they said to do:

Unplug everything for at least a half hour.
Then plug them back in, putting tv on channel 3
And hit the settings button 30 seconds.
It's all suppose to work now, rescan.

It didn't.

Still, snow.

Does anyone know how to put the RF back on?

By the way, I can't believe they give you something you can turn off but not back on. As I looked on the net, some have been unhappy with this particular digital converter. I've been ok with it...until now. Anyway if I can just get my tv back on and working, I will be happy with it once again. Surprising how stressful one little button can be!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-17-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Did you push the RF button again? It sounds like you switched to analog passthrough.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Chris,

Thats the problem, there is no RF button to push again. And yes, I did, accidentally, switch to Analog. I need to switch back!
post #4 of 24 Old 06-17-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe this explains it a little better.

Now I turn on the tv and converter box, they both go on, but the box acts like it was going to go digital but changed its mind (goes from black screen which I use to see right before tv would come thru...before all this)... and goes to a snowy screen. I hit the "settings" button forever, but it doesn't click/connect.

I also thought there would simply be a button to switch things back, but there isn't. There must be another way.

Edited Note: Unless there is a physical button I don't know about. Quite likely. All I know about is the RF inside the 'settings' on the remote control.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus2 View Post

Maybe this explains it a little better.

Now I turn on the tv and converter box, they both go on, but the box acts like it was going to go digital but changed its mind (goes from black screen which I use to see right before tv would come thru...before all this)... and goes to a snowy screen. I hit the "settings" button forever, but it doesn't click/connect.

I also thought there would simply be a button to switch things back, but there isn't. There must be another way.

Edited Note: Unless there is a physical button I don't know about. Quite likely. All I know about is the RF inside the 'settings' on the remote control.

Is it still under warranty? If it is I'd call Magnavox (Funai) back and tell them you want it fixed or a replacement.

Mad Scientist :)
post #6 of 24 Old 06-17-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Well, some problems with that. I want it fixed before family gets home this weekend! And dont want to hear about what a foolish thing I did. (I all ready know it.)

Then, its not broken, just something stupid in the programing. I just found this link where others are having the exact same problem:

http://portablemedia.manualsonline.c...oduct_problem/

But their answers didn't work for me. Tho I may try them from different perspectives. Simply, I wish I could blame it on the box, but it seems to be going on with others too.

I guess the last thing is, I need that little tv as it gets watched every night.

Oh well, will see where this all takes me.

Lotus
post #7 of 24 Old 06-17-2009, 02:56 PM

Are the remote batteries good and strong?

Reading the site you referenced, seems like press and HOLD (for 3+ seconds) the setup button (with the box already powered on) will force it out of passthru mode. Or try unplugging it for a really long time (like overnight) to force a total reset. It's not clear from your posts that you tried either of these.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-17-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja1 View Post

Are the remote batteries good and strong?

Reading the site you referenced, seems like press and HOLD (for 3+ seconds) the setup button (with the box already powered on) will force it out of passthru mode. Or try unplugging it for a really long time (like overnight) to force a total reset. It's not clear from your posts that you tried either of these.

Hi, and thanks for responding.

Unfortunately, when I do all that, my remote only has one button that works, and that's 'power.' So the settings button doesn't work. All this worked until I accidentally hit RF. Weird, I know.

I've unplugged and replugged everything, up to half a day. It never mattered. Glad some are having success with that, but its not making any difference for me, mostly cuz I can't get the remote to work (except the power button). If I could get into it, I could fix it.

Am still open to ideas and suggestions.

P.S. Yes, the batteries are good. They were working as I hit the RTF
post #9 of 24 Old 06-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Did you try this solution, mentioned at:
http://tv.manualsonline.com/ex/threa...dThread/525572
It involves using RCA cables (red/white/yellow) to connect Magnavox to TV.
That worked for one user when the "lean on the setup button" solution didn't work. They were then able to go into the menu and fix the settings and go back to using coaxial cable.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-17-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja1 View Post

Did you try this solution, mentioned at:
http://tv.manualsonline.com/ex/threa...dThread/525572
It involves using RCA cables (red/white/yellow) to connect Magnavox to TV.
That worked for one user when the "lean on the setup button" solution didn't work. They were then able to go into the menu and fix the settings and go back to using coaxial cable.

Thanks. I'll check that out. Must tell ya tho, I don't even know how to jump start a car with cables so this may be beyond me. I'm more of a computer remote control person.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-18-2009, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

At this point I think I have to surrender to a new one. Tho feel a ton better about doing that today because I finally informed folks of what happened and all is well. Now its just a matter of time to get a new one. Any suggestions as to the best type? Not super fancy, we're a simple bunch, but we do like a clear picture plus one that comes in easily. (We live in an area that has a bit of trouble in that way. A cloud passes over and poof! Picture's gone.) Thanks.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 PM

Is your tv still on the required channel to view the rf output of the box? Channel 3 or 4? Perhaps that got changed. Try looking at channel 4 on the tv set while you power up the box (or channel 3).
post #13 of 24 Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

At this point I think I have to surrender to a new one. Tho feel a ton better about doing that today because I finally informed folks of what happened and all is well. Now its just a matter of time to get a new one. Any suggestions as to the best type? Not super fancy, we're a simple bunch, but we do like a clear picture plus one that comes in easily. (We live in an area that has a bit of trouble in that way. A cloud passes over and poof! Picture's gone.) Thanks.

My Zenith DTT901 CECBs serve me well. (I've been using one Zenith for around a year now.) I also have a Zinwell ZAT-970A but am not currently using it.

Zeniths may be found at KMart and some regional chains (Bi-Mart in Oregon, Washington and Idaho) or local stores. The similar Insignia may still be stocked at Best Buy stores. My Zinwell was purchased at an Albertsons grocery store. Zinwell 970A and 950A models may also be offered by online sellers.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #14 of 24 Old 06-18-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

Is your tv still on the required channel to view the rf output of the box? Channel 3 or 4? Perhaps that got changed. Try looking at channel 4 on the tv set while you power up the box (or channel 3).

Yes to all the above.

I read online someone had same problem with two tvs, followed the instructions given, one worked, one didn't. No one seems to know why, at least so far.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-18-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

My Zenith DTT901 CECBs serve me well. (I've been using one Zenith for around a year now.) I also have a Zinwell ZAT-970A but am not currently using it.

Zeniths may be found at KMart and some regional chains (Bi-Mart in Oregon, Washington and Idaho) or local stores. The similar Insignia may still be stocked at Best Buy stores. My Zinwell was purchased at an Albertsons grocery store. Zinwell 970A and 950A models may also be offered by online sellers.

Thanks. I'm going to check out the Zeniths. What I had worked great while it worked, but this bad programming really has me friend. Am happily willing to switch over form magnavox to Zenith.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-18-2009, 01:39 PM

If you decide to discard the Magnavox, I'll pay shipping + inconvenience to send to me. PM me if you want.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Does anybody have experience with the Magnavox box? Does it send its output to either RF or composite, but not both simultaneously?

It sounds like Lotus2 toggled the box from the "RF" output setting to the "composite" output setting.

What does that mean? Converter boxes give you a choice of two different outputs: 1) you can send the signal to your TV using an "RF" cable - the coaxial cable that plugs into the TV's antenna jack; or 2) you can send the signal to your TV using "composite" cables - this is a cluster of three cables, with red, white, and yellow connectors. Some TV's have jacks for these cables, in addition to the antenna jack.

I don't know how Lotus2's TV is connected - although it sounds like he's using the RF cable to the antenna jack. I also don't have first-had experience with the Magnavox, but it sounds like he switched it to use the composite outputs, instead of the RF output. When he did that, it apparently turned on the composite output, and turned off the RF output - which killed the signal to the TV.

If that is what happened, the way to fix it is to hook up the composite cables (assuming your TV has the right jacks), and switch the TV to its "Video In" (or some such) setting. This would bypass the TV's RF (antenna) input and tuner, and feed the signals directly from the converter box to the TV's display circuits.

If the TV doesn't have a composite input... is there a documented way to reset the Magnavox convertor box to factory default settings? Check the user manual.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-18-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreater View Post

Does anybody have experience with the Magnavox box? Does it send its output to either RF or composite, but not both simultaneously?

Both simultaneously: the composite output is active whenever the box is on.

On the TB100MG9, for example, you can set the RF output to RF Through and feed the composite output to a VCR and record one channel while the RF Through goes to a TV with an ATSC tuner on which you can watch a second channel.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-25-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:

I've had this Magnavox digital converter (model number TB110MVW) a couple months now and its been working fine.....I hit the RF button, which turned everything off, leaving me no way that I can see to turn it back on....Does anyone know how to put the RF back on?.......

if i understand u correctly, i think a simple fix would be to connect it to any other tv or old vcr with a/v inputs....just about every vcr ever made has a/v inputs.....borrow one if u dont have one.....u will then most likely be able to see all the menu settings and easily fix your problem....

also, i would think that another user of this same model could tell u the exact 'button presses' to do what u need to do....if i had this unit i'd do it for u......

*** its high time to go back to OTA antennas and CANCEL our cable/satellite pay tv services! their greed is totally & insanely out of control! ***
post #20 of 24 Old 08-03-2013, 12:47 PM

As it turns out -> holding SETUP on the original remote WILL reset the output... HOWEVER you must hold it for a long time !! not 5 or 15 seconds... up to a full minute ! ! ! Thanks to maganvox support for that info... and it does contradict what is in the manual. Note that you need the ORIGINAL remote or a way to emulate the setup button (so a generic or replacement remote control may not work).
Watching TV for > 30 years.
r.h.
post #21 of 24 Old 11-06-2013, 04:35 PM

ok I JUST SOLVED THIS. I DID THE SAME THING YOU DID AND COULD NOT FIGURE IT OUT UNTIL I TOOK THE RED, YELLOW, AND WHITE RCA CABLES AND HOOKED TO THE CONVERTER BOX ON THE BACK AND TOOK THE OTHER END OF THE RED, YELLOW, AND WHITE RCA CABLES AND PLUGGED INTO VIDEO 3 OF THE TELEVISION. THEN TAKE THE TV REMOTE AND HIT TV/VIDEO UNTIL YOU GET TO VIDEO 3 SAME PORT YOU PLUGGED RCA CABLES INTO FROM CONVERTER BOX. THEN YOU WILL SEE MENU FOR CONVERTER BOX THEN YOU CAN CHANGE IT BACK IN THE SETUP MENU CHANGE IT BACK TO RF OUT AND THEN YOU CAN REMOVE RCA CABLES AND TURN TV BACK ON CHANNEL 3 AND USE BOX AGAIN. IT TOOK 2 HOURS TO FIGURE IT OUT I WAS READY TO SMASH THAT BOX .

post #22 of 24 Old 01-02-2014, 10:22 AM

I have the exact same problem------how do I turn "on" the rf button---now that I turned it off?

post #23 of 24 Old 01-02-2014, 11:34 AM

shut every thing down--pulled all plugs  for about 45 min.------everything works again-----I did have to hold the setup button down for about 30-40 sec.   was able to reset all

post #24 of 24 Old 05-12-2014, 08:44 PM

I had the same problem this how you fix it. Find some rc cables red,yellow,white Hook them up to the TV and convert box. Turn TV to video 1 or 2 or 3 and see if you get the screen to have video. Now change back to Chanel 3 on converter box set up screen. Hold set up for 3 sec. Unplug rc cables. Now turn back to Chanel 3. Good luck!
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page