Which CECB's have a scrolling index feature? None. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here's my problem...I own a Sony KDP-51WS550 and one of my favorite features is a scrolling index (thumbnail) of live TV channels on the right side of the main screen.

Problem is that these scrolling TV channels are analog so with the digital transition I'm getting nothing but white noise.

I am hoping that those of you with CECB's can chime in...I am hoping that there is a box with this feature so I can at least hook it up and semi-copy the feature that I've lost.

Thanks,

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you saying that your television shows you the other channels, while viewing the current channel? If so, There is no CECB that does that.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you are getting a series of thumbnails from a cluster of analog tuners inside your tv, it's not likely you will find an acceptable solution to give you multiple digital thumbnails. You'd need a digital tuner for each image, and the ability to specify the input source. I'm pretty sure you will not find a thumbnail add-on that combines all that in one device, and it definitely would not be a CECB.

If you do have the ability to specify input source on a thumbnail, setting up one thumbnail with a CECB would be a cheap way to keep an eye on other channels. Or if you have one, you could use a recording device with a digital tuner, instead of CECB.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Since the function is from the set, and it's analog channels only, you will not be able to duplicate it.

Since the set has a Digital TV tuner (ATSC), I'd at least try to replace the analog channels with digital ones. Check the owners manual.

Further, since the set is HDTV, why would you want to run it in SD?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 06-19-2009, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

My solution was to find a CECB that has this scrolling feature and connect it to either Video 1 thru Video 3 on my TV. The manual states that this scrolling feature also works for these video sources.

Perhaps there is a CECB that has a scrolling guide where I can preview live channels.

Also, correct me if I am wrong...manual states that I cannot view digital sources on the scrolling index...but if I do find such a CECB, their output is not digital...correct?

thanks,

Rick
Old 06-19-2009, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

This is a dual tuner TV...one digital and one analog...I view the main channel on the digital tuner while the scrolling feature shows live analog channels...thanks guys!

Rick
Old 06-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiorick View Post

My solution was to find a CECB that has this scrolling feature and connect it to either Video 1 thru Video 3 on my TV. The manual states that this scrolling feature also works for these video sources.

Perhaps there is a CECB that has a scrolling guide where I can preview live channels.

Nope. Best guide is the DTVPal, which is a watered-down Dish Network guide.

Quote:

Also, correct me if I am wrong...manual states that I cannot view digital sources on the scrolling index...but if I do find such a CECB, their output is not digital...correct?

thanks,

Rick

Correct. CECB's output is either NTSC on ch3/4, or composite. I suppose you could get five CECBs and hook them up with combiners for two channels (3 and 4), then the other three could be hooked up to Video 1,2,3. Tune each box to a different channel and voila!

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, radiorick, but for those here who don't want to take the time to look at this TV's user manual online, this scrolling feature appears to take a "snapshot" of each channel that it tunes on its analog tuner (or video 1-3) only, then automatically goes to the next channel. Whatever channel the tuner is on shows a live picture - the rest are freeze-frame.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was thinking the same, that with only one analog tuner inside, the thumbnails could not be an index of live channels, perhaps just the one selected, with the others being frozen.

If the technology is all inside the TV, it's possible that hooking up any CECB via RF or composite cables would fill the index in a similar way that the analog tuner currently is doing.

But it's all a guess with no understanding of how the index works. Me, I'd just try it and see. Find a neighbor willing to lend you a CECB, and plug it in. My PiP works when I input a CECB to it.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

thanks,

Rick

Ok, I get it.

Again, there is no CECB that has a scrolling guide, and even if there was one, the text would be so small in the window you'd never be able to read it, and it would only be in one window. As the owners manual notes, it would be like using a cable box, and the scroll function would not work.

What you can do is this - get 4 CECB's, connect one to V1, one to V2, one to V3, one to V4. When you go into scroll mode, you'll see 4 windows, one for each of the CECB's. Use the scroll up or down function as you did before.

Then, with a programmable or universal remote, when you change channel on the CECB's, all 4 window inputs will change channels at the same time. If the 4 CECB's are programmed to channel scan different channels, and/or have different channels in memory, you can set this up so when you change CECB channels this is what happens:

From initial use
V1 window - channel 2.1
V2 window - channel 3.1
V3 window - channel 4.1
V4 window - channel 5.1

First press of CECB channel up button
V1 window - channel 6.1 (or 2.2)
V2 window - channel 7.1 (or 3.2)
V2 window - channel 8.1 (or 4.2)
V4 window - channel 9.1 (or 5.2)

etc.

You would have to select the CECB on it's ability to scan only the specific channels you have it programmed for, or settle for just seeing whatever 4 channel are on the CECB's at any given time.

This is as close as you will get to what you want.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

You are correct...The scrolling feature take a snap-shot of the channels that are available. I don't know much about the popular CEBC's features to know which might have a snap-shot scrolling guide.

I did acquire a Channel-Master but have not unpacked yet. For those of you that have one, does it have a scrolling guide.

Not to get-off topic but even though I love free HDTV, I do feel for those that don't have an option other than cable...the CM is my parents...they can't use OTA...their zip is 78852

thanks!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You are correct...The scrolling feature take a snap-shot of the channels that are available. I don't know much about the popular CEBC's features to know which might have a snap-shot scrolling guide.

For the last time:

Again, there is no CECB that has a scrolling guide, and even if there was one, the text would be so small in the window you'd never be able to read it, and it would only be in one window. As the owners manual notes, it would be like using a cable box, and the scroll function would not work.

See my post above your for the only possible solution.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:12 PM

So a combination of my solution and yours would allow for the most channels (6) between button-pushes.

So...back in realityville here, does anyone else think we have beaten this particular dead analog horse enough yet?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman_ba View Post

So a combination of my solution and yours would allow for the most channels (6) between button-pushes.

Manual says Video sources 5,6,7 and digital sources will not display in the scrolling windows. That means 1,2,3,4 would. As least the way I read it.

Quote:
So...back in realityville here, does anyone else think we have beaten this particular dead analog horse enough yet?

That horse will outlive me.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help guys...I'll chime back to let you know how it went...

Rick
Old 06-20-2009, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

...I did acquire a Channel-Master but have not unpacked yet...the CM is my parents...they can't use OTA...

If the "Channel-Master" is a digital converter box, the converter boxes are OverTheAir digital tuners.

If your parents can't use OTA, a digital converter box won't do them much good. OTA digital converter boxes don't work with cable.