Post DTV Transition CECB converter boxes availability! - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 180 Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wal-Mart has the RCA DTA800B1 on the shelves for $49.87.

The one I bought today was made in Jan. 2013 with a code of BE3.

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 180 Old 07-22-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
STL: How has your RCA CECB worked in the months since you purchased it? Has reception been good? Has the box been reliable?
post #153 of 180 Old 09-29-2013, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any that output 5.1 sound? Or that have HDMI out? The one I have has only analog out, and I really miss the 5.1 sound when i go to watch OTA vs when I watch from the Network website thru the laptop, and my AVR...
post #154 of 180 Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If it output 5.1 or HDMI, then it wasn't eligible for the coupon program back in 2008-09, so it wouldn't come under the classification of "CECB" (coupon-eligible converter box).

There are boxes that output 5.1 or HDMI, but they aren't CECBs and would be discussed in other threads.
post #155 of 180 Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Some were listed and certified as "Dolby Digital"and have the label on the unit, yet they only have RCA R/L audio connections per that CECB restriction. I take it these boxes can spit out DD AC-3 out of this set of connectors?

Anyhow I would suggest searching the used markets for HD tuners, I found two for 20 bucks each. The early HD sat receivers have built-in OTA HD tuners that aren't locked out. Maybe some cable tuners too. Dedicated tuners weren't big sellers due to high cost so not a whole lot of those out there. I wish there was a thorough list of all of these somewhere.

post #156 of 180 Old 09-30-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighxr View Post

Are there any that output 5.1 sound? Or that have HDMI out? The one I have has only analog out, and I really miss the 5.1 sound when i go to watch OTA vs when I watch from the Network website thru the laptop, and my AVR...
While not related to this SD forum, this box does all you want as well as records HD if you hook it to a USB HDD. Talk goes on about it in the HD recorders forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread
It generally sells for even less than the CECBs did in their day, ~$40 shipped.
post #157 of 180 Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

Some were listed and certified as "Dolby Digital"and have the label on the unit, yet they only have RCA R/L audio connections per that CECB restriction. I take it these boxes can spit out DD AC-3 out of this set of connectors?
I think it meant that they could process incoming Dolby Digital and output it as stereo or mono.
post #158 of 180 Old 10-01-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

I think it meant that they could process incoming Dolby Digital and output it as stereo or mono.

Yeah but don't they all do that? I mean I don't understand why just some boxes are certified Dolby Digital if that were the case.

post #159 of 180 Old 10-01-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

They all did it; they just were unequal in how much they bragged about it.
post #160 of 180 Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I dunno man as they had to pay for that Dolby Digital licensing and I believe each unit with the DD insignia pays a royalty to Dolby Labs.

post #161 of 180 Old 10-02-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

OK here's what I got per my Sony Blu-ray player (DD 5.1):

[first let me point out that DD AC-3 is the same as DD 5.1; the '3' makes it sound like it's 3.1 so sorry if I misled anyone]

They show a DD or DTS input will produce a Dolby Surround Pro Logic signal via the RCA connectors (with a Dolby Surround Pro Logic-capable receiver can produce 3 to 6 speakers of surround effects). I 'think' this is what one of these DD converter boxes can do (i.e. vs. just a stereo output).

They show that the only way to get full DD is to use the six 5.1 channel output RCA connectors (i.e. from a separate panel of RCAs), the digital connections (coax or optical), or the HDMI connector. Same for DTS.

Also, it shows capable of 8 channel PCM via HDMI only. Not that it matters here but it was the last audio connection category in the manual. biggrin.gif

Someday when I get my old Kenwood AC-3 AVR set up to my TV system I'll have to try some converter boxes out to test my Pro Logic theory (the AVR indicates whether or not it is receiving stereo, Pro Logic, or DD). Currently the Kenwood is just being used as a fancy FM receiver. My neighbor gave me his used Bose Acoustimass 1500 (5.1) after his Onkyo AVR quit (he went soundbar) so I'm itchin' to hook it all up. He gave me the Onkyo (THX 7.1 and up to 12 speakers) too but it has no audio out amp or pre-amp...

post #162 of 180 Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Current Standard Definition 480i Digital TV converters (formerly known as "CECBs") currently for sale at Amazon, and possibly at some retail stores:

RCA DTA800B1 (note - the current model lacks the Electronic Program Guide and Smart Antenna input found on models made in 2008-2009).

Zinwell DAT-970A

Sunkey ATB150S

Homeworx HW100STB

Supersonic SC55

Naxa NT-52 (note - this came on the market post-2009 but has the limited functionality of an "official" CECB)

iView STB3500STB (note - this came on the market post-2009 but resembles a CECB)

KCPI DT504 (note - looks similar to an Apex 250 or 502, includes Smart Antenna input)

Coby DTV102 (note - Coby is now OUT OF BUSINESS, therefore no warranty support)

Magnavox TB100MW9 (note - not sure if model is still being made, might be NOS)

Philco TB100HH9 (same note as Magnavox above)

Apex RBDT502 (note - might be NOS, includes S-Video input)

Of these, the easiest ones to find at retail stores at this time seem to be the RCA and the Naxa. Store personnel have told me there is a steady demand for these SD digital TV converter boxes, which is why they are still readily available.
post #163 of 180 Old 10-23-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a lot of design sell-off/outsourcing took place post-CECB program.

post #164 of 180 Old 10-23-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

If it were me I'd get the iView 3500. Not only does it have HD outputs(HDMI and Component) it also has composite(no S-video) and RF for older TVs. With a simple USB HDD it can also act as a HD DVR. Oh it also has a decent EPG(program guide) you can program off of if you want.
Most of whats left of the CECBs(RCA for one) are really cheap pieces of plastic IMO. The iView has a metal case and sells for < most CECBs(~$40 shipped from Amazon).
post #165 of 180 Old 01-18-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

If it were me I'd get the iView 3500. Not only does it have HD outputs(HDMI and Component) it also has composite(no S-video) and RF for older TVs. With a simple USB HDD it can also act as a HD DVR. Oh it also has a decent EPG(program guide) you can program off of if you want. Most of whats left of the CECBs(RCA for one) are really cheap pieces of plastic IMO. The iView has a metal case and sells for < most CECBs(~$40 shipped from Amazon).
I've been reading the discussions on the iView 3500 at the "HDTV Recorders" forum and there seems to be a lot of complaining about deficiencies in the unit. However, I am still considering buying an iView 3500 because it is LOW COST, and will provide full HD output when connected to an older tube HDTV in my house. This "old" 2006-vintage HDTV has a defective/semi-non-functioning internal tuner. Therefore, when we wish to watch OTA television on that old HDTV, we've been using a Zenith DTT900. The DTT900 is a sensitive and well-built tuner - arguably the best overall design of the CECBs - but like the other CECBs, the DTT900 does NOT output high definition.

If you've used the iView 3500 and it has worked well as an OTA tuner, let me know by PM. The only reason I've held back is that my garage is full of "great buys" which did not turn out to be reliable or satisfactory, and my worry is that if the iView 3500's functionality is as shoddy as some reviewers have claimed, I'd rather not spend two President Jacksons to buy it, only to be disappointed and have yet another piece of gear added to my personal electronic graveyard.
post #166 of 180 Old 01-19-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't be too scared off by all the negative reviews of the iView or similar Homeworx converter box/DVR. True it's not 100% reliable(like something like the Zenith DTT900) but for the most part after your done playing with it and just sit back and use it, it works quite well. I use mine to record the occasional HD program when I'm already using both tuners on my Tivo HD and for that it works quite well. Most of the issues I had with the iView was using the PSIP guide and pushing buttons too fast, if you have patience you should be OK or like me I never use it anymore and instead use my Tivos guide and only set programs on the iView with START/STOP times(and not through the guide).

I also use the iViews HD component outputs since early on I had a few quirks associated with the iViews HDMI output, I think they may have fixed those issues but I still use component and am very happy with it.

If I had to do it over I may have purchased the Homeworx which may have less issues but I'm also OK with my iView now and consider it one of the best $50 I've spent, I even bought a spare one :)

post #167 of 180 Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Ironically I stumbled across the Homeworx unit looking through CL ads, then looked it up and saw it on Amazon. Seems too good to be true at that price. I then noticed the reviews exhibited a *poor distribution. At least it's Amazon which is good about returns - I'd suggest testing the crud out it ASAP.
I'm wondering if this and the iView are from the same company. BTW do one or both of these actually put out HD? (if so, seems odd they call them converter boxes).

Recently saw a Channel Master CM7000PAL on CL for $75, probably should have scarfed it up. Those sold for over $400.

Speaking of EPG's, turns out one really can pick up the Advanced Program Guide from DirecTV without a subscription (I don't know about DISH). I had read about it here on AVS but had no dish to test it. A friend gave me his old SAT A dish (round, dual LNB) and sure enough it worked hooked up to my HD SAT/OTA receiver (barely used $20 on CL). I experimented and also discovered that I only needed to use the 18 V LNB; this allows me to eliminate/bypass the multi-switch, reduce cabling, and reduce path loss. Can do the same with the higher end dishes (oval, SAT A,B, SAT A,B,C - HD, etc.). Can also put a switch in the coax path to shut the thing off after you've downloaded enough guide info (short-term stuff is pretty fast); the downloaded guide info sticks until the receiver is unplugged.

*Note: I've learned that the 'marketing con game' has worked its way into these consumer reviews by 'loading' them with fake positive reviews. So I've learned to spend more time on analyzing the negative reviews.

post #168 of 180 Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes both the iView and Homework are made by the same company(although firmware updates are handled by different companies) and the boxes are very similar with the exception the iView has a somewhat useless display(only displays channel order number and not actual channel number) while the Homeworx has no external display. The Homework officially doesn't tune QAM although with a particular firmware it can tune QAM. I'd not really suggest either box for clear QAM as most of the complaints come from cable folk and their rather quirky QAM tuners, OTA is much better.

Both boxes are full HD with HDMI and component outputs as well as digital coax for 5.1 audio(5.1 also comes out HDMI).

Both boxes are truly amazing for the price and with a customer purchased USB HDD they are pretty decent DVRs(single channel without the ability to record an event while watching a stored event) so the DVR side is quite basic(of course single tuner).

For more talk about HD recorders check out this forum where both the iView and Homeworx have their own threads.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/42/hdtv-recorders

post #169 of 180 Old 01-20-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. The description stuff I see is quite lacking in detail. Now I see it says HDMI 1080P Output / YPbPr output, hopefully it can do less than 1080p on those outputs too (but I see it does have an RF and composite connector (no s-video)). Sounds like it needs an external HDD for recording, I guess it would be hard to believe having one integrated at this price. Still that is an amazing deal assuming it works well. I'm really bothered by the ambiguity of some of these companies though.

post #170 of 180 Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone69 View Post

This topic was originally posted in September 2009. For the most recent info on CECB availability, please go to the last page of the topic. The reason for this thread is the DISCUSSION OF DEALS, LINKS TO VENDORS WHO ARE STILL STOCKING CONVERTER BOXES. Please post some links to vendors that have units in stock , or are expecting a re-stock. Links to ANY "deals" you may have seen /heard about!!! Here's a list of the decent boxes- Problem being most are no longer mfg'd / no longer are being sold........ .

If anybody here is still looking for Standard Definition Digital OTA Converter boxes, here is what's available currently at Amazon as NEW IN THE BOX - subject to change at any time, and listed here by current Amazon price:

Sunkey SK-903H - $38.95
Naxa NT-50 - $39.99 (per reviews, avoid this model!)
Naxa NT-52 - $39.99 (per the reviews, avoid this model!)
Supersonic SC-55 - $40.00
Sunkey ATB150S - $41.49
Sunkey SK-801SB - $43.51
RCA DTA800B1 - $49.97
Apex DTA250A - $50.00
Magnavox TB100MW9 - $52.98
Apex RBT502 - $71.99 (includes S-Video)

There are some new-old-stock Zenith DTA900 and DTA901 models and their Insignia-brand counterparts at much higher prices. Some of the ones listed above are NOS as well. Obviously, most of us would rather get converter boxes which include HD capability for 1080i and 720p. But if you want to keep watching your old-school RCA Victor New Vista 25" console with a beautiful walnut cabinet in your rec room, or a 25-year-old Sony Trinitron in your guest bedroom, these older OTA converter boxes may be easily connected to your old TV. The newer HD-type boxes sometimes only connect using HDMI or Component connections. I hope this is helpful.
post #171 of 180 Old 02-13-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Me I'd just hunt for some older HD tuners, especially if one has a DTV-tunerless HDTV like myself. Many satellite boxes have the capability without a subscription up to a certain point in time. Probably more features too. I hooked up a used sat. dish and obtained a pretty good EPG (only requires the +18 V Sat A LNB transponder). Don't know about cable boxes. Composite, s-video, and component were pretty standard although some may not have HDMI or DVI.

Note: The gotcha is they tend to have older generation ATSC tuners which could be an issue in weaker signal environments. Of course some were better than others.

post #172 of 180 Old 02-13-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Some Radioshacks still have Digital Stream boxes.
post #173 of 180 Old 03-28-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

UPDATE: There is an new Insignia converter box now at Best Buy. I do not know if it is the same as their original version, which was a rebranded Zenith box made by LG. If it is an LG made box, then it should have a good tuner and menu interface like the previous model. But it could be altogether different. Not really sure and awaiting further information. And they may no longer be carrying the Apex box, as the store near me only had the new Insignia.
post #174 of 180 Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone ever seen one of these?:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ele/4400736407.html

If/when the ad disappears it's an unusual-looking and curvy RadioShack DTV converter with an LCD display; I didn't know of any boxes with displays - sure would be a nice feature.

post #175 of 180 Old 04-01-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

Anyone ever seen one of these?:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ele/4400736407.html

If/when the ad disappears it's an unusual-looking and curvy RadioShack DTV converter with an LCD display; I didn't know of any boxes with displays - sure would be a nice feature.
I think that was an antenna they sold, not a converter box. Not sure.
post #176 of 180 Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I think that was an antenna they sold, not a converter box. Not sure.

Did you click on the link? It's still active as I type. Definitely a box, not an antenna. Now DTV converter box I can't be sure but it has an LCD display showing what looks to be a valid channel number (RF 34) and the buttons look about right for one (unfortunately the lettering is too blurry when I try to zoom in on it).

post #177 of 180 Old 04-05-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

UPDATE: There is an new Insignia converter box now at Best Buy. I do not know if it is the same as their original version, which was a rebranded Zenith box made by LG. If it is an LG made box, then it should have a good tuner and menu interface like the previous model. But it could be altogether different. Not really sure and awaiting further information. And they may no longer be carrying the Apex box, as the store near me only had the new Insignia.
NO. It's not the same box. Don't waste your money. If you want a converter box, try to buy a used Zenith DTT 900/901 or the Insignia NS-DXA1 or NS-DXA1APT. Right now, my wife is actually watching an ION program on the older SD kitchen TV connected to a 6-year-old Insignia NS-DXA1. It works great. It is literally 100% interchangable with the Zenith 900, including the LG-designed Zenith remote. We actually own four DTT900 and one NS-DXA1 CECBs, all in working condition.
post #178 of 180 Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

NO. It's not the same box.

I don't know what's inside it but it has the exact same form factor, with the exception of color, as a Zinwell; even has a Dolby Digital label in the same spot (I don't recall Zeniths being DD - ?) and also uses a 5 V DC wall-wart input like a Zinwell. Remote kinda looks like an RCA but I'm no expert there as I don't have either one (my mom has an RCA). I downloaded the manual and if that's a Zinwell inside they definitely rewrote the code as this box is bare-bones; but it does claim to be able to output 16:9.

Man they want a pretty penny for these boxes. I also see a KCPI which I believe the K stands for Korea; 70 bills but it has s-video and smart antenna like an Apex (hmmm).

Me thinks there's some funny bizness going on in the DTV converter box bizness.

post #179 of 180 Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

P.S. Awhile back I saw Zinwells on Amazon that looked completely different, but now they're back to the original style (at least looks-wise). I have a suspicion those different ones were outsourced, flaky as hell, and Amazon cut the cord due to all the returns. I don't know what these recent ones really are but they don't appear to have all the features and maybe not even the same code as the original boxes.

post #180 of 180 Old 08-24-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Never heard of this one before, stumbled across it in a local CL ad:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/DIGITREX-A...ntrol/25963174

Has HDMI output and "NTSC and PAL auto switch." Sketchy customer review distribution though.

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page