Are remote control codes same/similar for CECB's and sat/cable boxes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-29-2009, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all...
I'm endeavoring to hook up one of my old DVR's [an RCA DRC-7005 with DVD player] with a CECB for an aunt whose VCR finally croaked.. she currently has a Zinwell zat970a for the timed recordings, but as most of us owners the timers are less than reliable so I read thru some post and picked up the fact that the DTVpal uses the same codes as a DISH sat boxes...
Since the DRC-7005 can control some cable boxes/sat boxes I'm hoping to get her a new CECB that can change the channels with a IR blaster some of the more 'famous' brands are:

Cable Boxes
Zenith
Philips
RCA
Magnavox
Toshiba
Samsung
Gen Inst.Hugs

Sat Boxes
GE/RCA/Proscan [under one entry]
Philips
DISH
Realistic
Toshiba
Primestar
Gen Inst.Huges
Uniden

I'd like to hear from others who've had some success controlling CECB's with DVR or HDD/DVD recorders and the like [or even with a universal remote and what you used to control a particular CECB if it worked with a Cable Box or SatBox code...]

I'm hoping for a RCA or Zenith CECB that can be controlled by a cable/sat RC codes [at least I have one chance with the DTVpal -i think-]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-29-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You may want to read the respective threads but I'm of the impression from reading them myself that the Zinwell is more reliable for timer recording than the DTVpal (something about losing clock synchronization).

post #3 of 16 Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The Channel Master CM7000 is the simplest to set up, most reliable, and easiest to use with IR blasters.

It uses a very old Pioneer cable box code.

An older recorder like the RCA most likely won't have the Zenith code, and it probably won't have the RCA one, either. The DTV Pal is complicated to set up and get just right. The CM setup and usage is pretty straightforward. It's arguably the favorite, and probably the most recommended around here to use with IR-blastered recorders.
post #4 of 16 Old 10-01-2009, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

You may want to read the respective threads but I'm of the impression from reading them myself that the Zinwell is more reliable for timer recording than the DTVpal (something about losing clock synchronization).

The problem with the TR-40, DTVPAL, DTVPal Plus series is there is NO way to MANUALY SET the units CLOCK.
(I'd like to have a long talk with the idiot who left out that "feature".)

Pal series relies on CBS? station broadcasting the proper time.
In my town there is (1) station that on a regular basis is transmitting the incorrect time.... I forgot the details on the chain of events that trigger the time being negatively affected.... Now whenever I see the time is "off" (which screws up the GUIDE and and timers) I e-mail the station and it's fixed.

(Note you may have to have the unit tuned to that channel while powering down /up... forgot the details....)

Stupid design to leave out a way to MANUALLY set the time / and or have it set to look at ALL the stations, and average the time across them all instead of relying on (CBS?)...

Besides that small irritation the Pal is my favorite box.

post #5 of 16 Old 10-02-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

So would CopRock's Aunt be better off with a DTVPal or a Zinwell for timer recording?

post #6 of 16 Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So would CopRock's Aunt be better off with a DTVPal or a Zinwell for timer recording?

She'd be better off with the CM and the IR blaster (like he asked about, also), because it's much more dependable.

As far as a CECB with timers, I'd personally probably choose the Zinwell over the Pal, because you can set the clock manually (even if it does go off by a minute or three every day or two - you can always keep re-setting it) - although that doesn't necessarily mean that one is any more or less dependable than the other. If the Pal locks to a CBS time signal, I suppose it might be consistent enough for the timers to fire alright - although I wouldn't know for sure.

I actually have both, but neither are being used right now, and I never use the timers on them anyway. The only things I do know is what I've said above - that the Zinwell doesn't stay accurate for long after setting the clock manually, and that the Pal (F105 or F106) will keep consistent time across all channels when it successfully locks to a CBS time signal. At least mine perform that way.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-03-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

IR blaster indeed. I got CECB-timer side-tracked based on his first pgh (plus I'm not familiar with IR blasters other than these threads, being that I never had one ).

Although I haven't done a huge amount of timer recording, I haven't had any problems other than those caused by my own settings (sneaky Sleep Timer) with the Zinwells.

My Zinwells' clocks seem to hold up pretty well. I just checked and they were all in synch with each other and for the most part up to date. I did see a few channels off by a minute or two relative to most of the other channels (again in correlation with the other boxes); PBS was off by 5 minutes. I suspect this is due to the stations. The 'catches' are:

1) GMT Usage set to By Time Zone (I believe this is the default setting).
2) My boxes get powered on and off frequently (power strips).

Now I suspect that the internal clocks on CECBs are sloppy enough that usage settings that let them to 'free run' can result in drift. And in the same sense when there's a long time between the box being turned off and a program event starting if the internal clock is the culprit (i.e. a long time without a station clock synch).

I don't have a Pal but I'm looking to get one if the price is right. I'd like to have one for the multi-day EPG (unless that only works in TVGOS mode?).

post #8 of 16 Old 10-03-2009, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I don't have a Pal but I'm looking to get one if the price is right. I'd like to have one for the multi-day EPG (unless that only works in TVGOS mode?).

Good luck finding a Zinewell 970A / 950 , DTVPal (AKA TR-40) , DTVPal Plus at this point in time. (Oct-2009)

If you do find anyone that is selling the above (or other "decent" units please POST links in below thread, so others may benefit.

Oct, 2009 - ANY "decent" low/no cost CECB converter boxes still available ?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1183648

According to the NTIA there are 4,287,379 unredeemed coupons as of the last day of the program with the last coupons being mailed Aug 12-2009.

post #9 of 16 Old 10-04-2009, 01:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My Zinwells' clocks seem to hold up pretty well........I don't have a Pal but I'm looking to get one if the price is right. I'd like to have one for the multi-day EPG (unless that only works in TVGOS mode?).

Maybe my 970A is just buggy. It seems I had to reset it everyday in manual mode if I wanted the clock to stay accurate.

The TVGOS mode and the Pal's guide are completely independent of one another. In fact, you can only use it one way or the other.

TVGOS mode is specifically there for using the Pal with an analog recorder, so you can convert the OTA digital guide info for the recorder's old analog TV Guide system to use, and the Pal's guide itself just uses PSIP - you don't put it into "TVGOS mode" for that.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-05-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Maybe my 970A is just buggy. It seems I had to reset it everyday in manual mode if I wanted the clock to stay accurate.

The TVGOS mode and the Pal's guide are completely independent of one another. In fact, you can only use it one way or the other.

TVGOS mode is specifically there for using the Pal with an analog recorder, so you can convert the OTA digital guide info for the recorder's old analog TV Guide system to use, and the Pal's guide itself just uses PSIP - you don't put it into "TVGOS mode" for that.

Hmmm, maybe it's because I'm unplugging power on a daily (or more) basis. Did you try "By Time Zone?"

Yeah, that's what I thought on the Pal but nice to have clarified. What I meant to ask is how many days does it give you in PSIP mode? (assuming the station sends enough data).

post #11 of 16 Old 10-07-2009, 01:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The Channel Master CM7000 is the simplest to set up, most reliable, and easiest to use with IR blasters.

It uses a very old Pioneer cable box code.

Rammitinski or anyone in the know..

Is there a comprehensive/full list of Pioneer codes available for hookup to the CM?..I plan to use it on this Samsung remote Part# AA590147A

http://www.newtvremotes.com/Mfrs/Sam...AA5900147B.htm

Thanks in advance!
post #12 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 03:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwoom View Post

Is there a comprehensive/full list of Pioneer codes available for hookup to the CM?..

Each remote will have it's own set of numbered codes. You should get a list of codes with the remote - just try the ones under "Pioneer cable box".

It will probably only work the numerical pad, volume/channel-up/down, on/off, and "return" buttons. I don't know of anyone who's come across an aftermarket remote that'll work the CM's guide or menus (if you had a learning remote, you could just program the buttons).

Otherwise, just get the Pal if you want a universal remote that'll work all the functions (I didn't realize you wanted a universal remote to fully work with the tuner - only the IR blaster. All the blaster needs to do is change the channels).
post #13 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 04:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What I meant to ask is how many days does it give you in PSIP mode? (assuming the station sends enough data).

Not sure. Be best to ask that over in the Pal thread, but I have a feeling you'll get a wide range of answers.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 08:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Each remote will have it's own set of numbered codes. You should get a list of codes with the remote - just try the ones under "Pioneer cable box".

I tried the Pioneer codes (for cable box) of this Samsung remote (018, 020, 044, 074 and 077) and nothing worked. Wondering if there are other Pio codes available out there...
post #15 of 16 Old 10-09-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And you have a CM7000? That's unusual. Pretty much every remote and IR blaster I've ever tried with it has a code listed under "Pioneer cable box" that will control it minimally. I don't recall anyone here ever saying they had a problem with any other remote, either.

Try the Panasonic cable box codes, because in the old days, those supposedly crossed-over. Also, try any other Pioneer or Elite component codes it might have. If the remote has an "auto-programming" feature, try that.

If nothing else works, all I can say then otherwise is to try a newer remote. Remotes that come with TV's, VCR's, or DVD recorders usually don't contain the library of codes that aftermarket remotes do, and that's probably what the problem is. You can buy decent learning remotes now for under $15.00. I've seen G.E.'s at Target for under that (universal remotes, of course, are even much cheaper - but it probably won't work the menus or guide, like I said).
post #16 of 16 Old 10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwoom View Post

I tried the Pioneer codes (for cable box) of this Samsung remote (018, 020, 044, 074 and 077) and nothing worked. Wondering if there are other Pio codes available out there...

Those first three are common to old GE and RCA remotes I have. A more recent but still old RCA remote lists 033 and 034. I was successful when I played around with them long ago. Some of these remotes have a code search function (put it in the mode then hit Power up to x times until the CM turns off; x is supposedly 200 but I think 'only' two digits = 100 for cable boxes). Then after it finds it it has a quicker procedure to retrieve the found code for reference.

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page