DST Issues Are Back - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-01-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else notice that the DST bug has returned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-02-2009, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just noticed a Zinwell Zat790a was late by an hour tonite, unplugged rebotted it but did nothing...its probably the DST crap [or the station sending out erronious Pisp [?] data.

Whatever, I hate all these boxes.... they are messed up in one way or another. This rollover to digital should have been over two years in the making.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-02-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It's going to happen twice every year, every February and October one month before the date of the following month's change.

We should come to expect it.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I noticed the time discrepancy on my CM7000 last night, plus a 42 minute variation. But I must have left the Zat on manual time, because it did everything well. I am so glad they put a manual clock option on there! ETA: I looked, I have timers set for the correct GMT offset.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

It's going to happen twice every year, every February and October one month before the date of the following month's change.

We should come to expect it.

But these machines were made after the DST month were changed, so they should have been made with the correct firmware.... my 15 year old Replay was updated, why not these machines most of which were made less than two years ago?
post #6 of 15 Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

It's not related to the DST law changes from 2006; it's related to their confusion in trying to interpret the DST flags in the stations’ PSIP streams.

If the 2006 law change were the issue, they'd remain on ST in March until the old April changeover date; instead some stations pop to DST in February.  If the 2006 law change were the issue, they'd change to ST a week early at the end of October, rather than in early October and only on some stations.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

I just noticed a Zinwell Zat790a was late by an hour tonite...

As a temporary measure, changing the time zone to 1 hour earlier "fixed" 6 out of the 8 stations I receive.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:

It's not related to the DST law changes from 2006; it's related to their confusion in trying to interpret the DST flags in the stations’ PSIP streams.

If the 2006 law change were the issue, they'd remain on ST in March until the old April changeover date; instead some stations pop to DST in February.  If the 2006 law change were the issue, they'd change to ST a week early at the end of October, rather than in early October and only on some stations.

Ahhh... figured it was even something even stupider than the DST date change.... All these machines are so frakked in such stupid ways... As far as the Zinwell I switched it to manual and seems OK and the time hasn't drifted yet so at least its OK for now....
{ I wonder if switching it to manual also solves the timer propblem in the Zinwell= change in PSIP data and the timers reset to the highest channell, usually the hispanic staions....}
post #9 of 15 Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

{ I wonder if switching it to manual also solves the timer propblem in the Zinwell= change in PSIP data and the timers reset to the highest channell, usually the hispanic staions....}

No, it doesn't.  I put my Zinwell ZAT-970A's clock on Manual from the first because the stations' PSIP time bears no resemblance to their actual broadcast times, and I still was getting channel changes in the timers, usually, as you said, to the highest-numbered channel (by virtual numbers, not by physical ones).

I don't rely on the Zenith DTT901's interpretation of the DST flags either: I manually switch its DST setting between "Off" and "On" twice a year and use "Auto" solely for amusement.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Jeez - my 970A's manual clock goes off by a minute to three more each day.

Must've gotten a lemon.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-14-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

With the Zat, there are three clock options:

"Set by Time Zone," which fails from bad DST data on PSIP;

"Off," which lets you set the clock time manually - presumably this is the one that drifts?;

"User Defined," which is preset to 00:00 GMT, and requires you to choose the correct GMT offset. This is the one I use, I'm set for -07:00 GMT. When DST comes in/out, I have to adjust the offset, and then it keeps perfect time.

ETA: but looking again, I do see a couple stations have different time. So either I have been very lucky, or internally it uses something other than what it displays as time. I only record in prime time, and it has been perfect. Or maybe the stations fix their own clock drift in time for prime time viewing.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-14-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The problem is more that some stations have it right, some stations have it wrong, and some stations don't do DST at all.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-21-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:

No, it doesn't.  I put my Zinwell ZAT-970A's clock on Manual from the first because the stations' PSIP time bears no resemblance to their actual broadcast times, and I still was getting channel changes in the timers, usually, as you said, to the highest-numbered channel (by virtual numbers, not by physical ones).

I don't rely on the Zenith DTT901's interpretation of the DST flags either: I manually switch its DST setting between "Off" and "On" twice a year and use "Auto" solely for amusement.

Yeah I found that out this weekend... in my NYC metro area are the incestuos duo of WNYW-fox and WWOR-my9.... whoever the tech are at these stations they constantly changing the stations name, adding hyphens, adding DT or removing it... everytime this happens it screws most of the timers/stations on the Zat-790....
This machine was ][ this close to being as close to perfct as could be {compared to the fecal storms the other machines are} now these timer changes are frosting of unreliability on the Zat....
I wonder if setting by GMT would help with stable timers, NYC is what gmt4or5 depending on the time of year... whatever.
You'd think by now electronic manuf. would have come out with a reliable ATSC/QAM box with timers that does not cost an Arm&Leg [and more than eight; whoever decided eight was a enough the T-180 VHS tape?]
I'm tired rant over/-/
post #14 of 15 Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM

TalkingRat wrote: "User Defined," which is preset to 00:00 GMT, and requires you to choose the correct GMT offset. This is the one I use, I'm set for -07:00 GMT..."

Of course in the United States GMT-07:00 is more easily remembered as "Mountain Standard Time".

But User Defined has to be used for locations in other official US time zones such as: Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands (GMT-04:00), American Samoa (GMT-11:00), and Guam and the Northern Marianna Islands (GMT+10:00).
post #15 of 15 Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM View Post

Of course in the United States GMT-07:00 is more easily remembered as "Mountain Standard Time".

Or in my case, Pacific Daylight Time.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page