Got these options, thinkiing about the Tivax -- thoughts? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 11-07-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Some of the TRT pics have that CM look. My CM container says made in Bulgaria on the bottom.

All the Best Buys near me have Apex 250s. They used to carry 502s. I don't know which chicken or egg came first. I have lots of Zinwells but not enough Artecs (use for auto/12V).

I didn't know any Artecs had overheat issues but they're kinda new to me and I may not have read back through yonder Artec thread far enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 11-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The 502 is newer and has S video.
Some say the 250 is better.
Most don't.
post #33 of 38 Old 11-07-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
The DT250 also has S-Video. The DT250 came first, the DT502 was second, then either the DT250A or DT150. EPG style/format information (for several CECB's) can be found here.
post #34 of 38 Old 11-08-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-1138 View Post

Meritline was out of everything yesterday.

That's odd since they had a lot of different models. Now that I think of it I suspect they shut down that part of the site because they had a 7 day coupon expiry rqt. Will be interesting to see what happens after coupon D-day.

This site claims to take coupons up to the last day but have to pay shipping on most boxes:

http://www.digital-tv-converter.net/

I've had good luck with Amazon too - speedy electronic coupon verification.

Yes, the Apex experts here have suggested the 502 over the 250.

systems, thanks for the Apex chronology. I'm not certain whether my Best Buys here sell 250s, 250As, or both.

post #35 of 38 Old 11-08-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
When I checked them a few days back (the day I asked here if anyone knew if they were still available), the site stated that they were out then, too (only checked for the Artec's)
post #36 of 38 Old 11-08-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

When I checked them a few days back (the day I asked here if anyone knew if they were still available), the site stated that they were out then, too (only checked for the Artec's)

FYI, I just checked that digital-tv-converter site and it shows everything pictured in stock except the Tivax. I had to click on each box to see the stock details.

I suspect you're referring to Meritline (here and older post); I missed some posts back then (11/6). I just now saw your reply about the cheaply made boxes and now I think I know where your coming from - the actual box and how they look. Yeah when I first saw a Zinwell and its puny remote I thought it would be junk. But it seems to function well and run cool so I can look past the funky plastic box. The remote has been good too, I'm just used to the ol' big RCA remotes. I like what I see at the design/circuit board level. I like the software functionality (menus, etc.) but they should have worked out the Favorites glitches that I suspect are effecting the timer function. I haven't had or heard of any major reliability issues. BEWARE the composite connectors though as they didn't add any mechanical stabilization from the PCB to the box, looks like a PCB/connector crack waiting to happen if a cable gets yanked too hard.

Too bad they all can't be in a CM-like box, now that's a commercial-looking design (rack mount it - LOL). I suspect these little plastic boxes save considerable money. I don't have a Zenith but the pic looks good.

The Artec is tiny, smaller than the Zinwell. Hard to hold it down when cables are pulling on it. Nice for portable use though, can probably strap it to one of those 5-7" TVs or DVD players. The connectors feel more solidly attached.

post #37 of 38 Old 11-08-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to mention that the Artec has a nice-looking circuit board design. They also used a switching regulator design, very efficient and generates less heat. Also, the Pro is the only box I know of that can be menu-ed by the box's CH/VOL buttons; I don't know if any other boxes even have VOL buttons.

post #38 of 38 Old 11-08-2009, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I forgot to mention that the DT150 seems to be a model # change so that TigerSoftware.com can sell it as if it's a different model. I don't believe there's any real difference between the two.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page