RCA DTA800B1 Converter box - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Technical > Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB) > RCA DTA800B1 Converter box

Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

cyberfly's Avatar cyberfly
06:39 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 4
01-27-2010 | Posts: 2
Hello and thanks for this great forum.
Due to the downturn in my own personal economy, Im now using a DTA800B1 converter box to try to get local Atlanta channels. My problem is this: I got the converter box for free from a friend, but she cant find the remote and thinks she threw it away. Im trying to find out if I can get to the main menu without the remote. Will any combination of button pushing get me to the main menu so I can get it to do a scan?? right now every channel that comes up says, "No Signal, unable to tune to this channel, try adjusting the antenna or performing a scan." I have it connected to a new digital indoor amplified antenna. thanks ron
smpowell's Avatar smpowell
07:46 PM Liked: 10
post #2 of 4
01-27-2010 | Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfly View Post

Hello and thanks for this great forum.
Due to the downturn in my own personal economy, Im now using a DTA800B1 converter box to try to get local Atlanta channels. My problem is this: I got the converter box for free from a friend, but she cant find the remote and thinks she threw it away. Im trying to find out if I can get to the main menu without the remote. Will any combination of button pushing get me to the main menu so I can get it to do a scan?? right now every channel that comes up says, "No Signal, unable to tune to this channel, try adjusting the antenna or performing a scan." I have it connected to a new digital indoor amplified antenna. thanks ron

>Will any combination of button pushing get me to the main menu so I can get it to do a scan??

No. You need a remote control.

However, RCA reused some old code from a RCA satellite receiver for their converter boxes. You should be able to buy a universal remote control and try the RCA satellite receiver codes until you find the one that works.

> right now every channel that comes up says, "No Signal,

Was the converter previously set up in the same area? If it was the problem might be where your TV antenna is located. Indoor antennas can be very sensitive to location because the materials a building is made from interfere with TV signals.

If the converter was set up at a location that gets different stations, then you have to get to the menu to scan for channels.

You can find the manual online at: http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/RCA_DTA800B1_Manual.html
cyberfly's Avatar cyberfly
06:29 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 4
01-28-2010 | Posts: 2
Thanks, none of those things seemed to work. My universal remote could change the channels, but couldnt get it into the main menu. So, I found a used remote on EBAY for $3 and I got it. Appreciate the help, thanks ron
seatacboy's Avatar seatacboy
03:35 PM Liked: 18
post #4 of 4
07-22-2013 | Posts: 1,066
The original post raised a really good question - particularly since the DTA-800 and DTA-800B1 had a very nice simple remote with large-sized buttons - are replacement remote controls available?

Also, have many users had these RCA boxes die and stop working?
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Subscribe to this Thread