Has anyone connected CECB to Windows Media Center w/ W7? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if anyone has found a cheap/simple way to connect our spare CECB to Windows Media Center with Windows 7?

I realize most people buy a PC TV tuner for this task, but I have a spare Channel Master CECB (w/ s-video out) sitting around and thought that I could somehow utilize it with Windows Media Center and turn it into live TV and DVR. Has anyone researched this?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-17-2010, 01:45 PM
QAM

Simple enough... first thing you need to do is capture the "analog video" signal into your PC. A simple device I found was a Hauppauge Video Capture USB dongle (USB-Live2).

It should look like a video input device to Windows (so might be visible to media center also).

After that it's just a matter of digging into the specifics of what you want to do with the captured signal.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post

Simple enough... first thing you need to do is capture the "analog video" signal into your PC. A simple device I found was a Hauppauge Video Capture USB dongle (USB-Live2).

It should look like a video input device to Windows (so might be visible to media center also).

After that it's just a matter of digging into the specifics of what you want to do with the captured signal.

Thanks, that helps but most of the Video Capture Devices I've seen cost more than $35 and may not work with Windows 7.

I was just wondering if anyone found a cheap/easy alternative way to do it.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-03-2010, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I tried using an old NTSC-only USB tuner with a CECB, but that did not work with Windows 7 Media Center either. Do CECB's even work with NTSC-only computer tuner cards?
post #5 of 9 Old 03-04-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

I tried using an old NTSC-only USB tuner with a CECB, but that did not work with Windows 7 Media Center either. Do CECB's even work with NTSC-only computer tuner cards?

Since CECBs output an analog NTSC RF signal they should work with a computer tuner card tuned to channel 3 (or channel 4 depending upon the output channel set on the CECB). If the computer tuner card also has composite line inputs that should work as well.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

I have a pci NTSC tuner card in a Vista pc and a CECB works with that. It might work in Win 7 using Vista drivers. Or if you're lucky the manufacturer has Win 7 drivers. You can find these cards on craigslist for dirt cheap (under $10 cheap) nowadays.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-04-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a $30 USB ATSC tuner and not have to screw around with IR blasters and analog recordings? Every digital tuner you can buy should be BDA-compliant and supported in Win7, even if you have to use Vista drivers.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-05-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a $30 USB ATSC tuner and not have to screw around with IR blasters and analog recordings? Every digital tuner you can buy should be BDA-compliant and supported in Win7, even if you have to use Vista drivers.

Ditto.
You'll also preserve the HD resolution.

PS the only reason I had for connecting a CECB to the AV inputs of the PC was to compare the PCI tuner sensitivity. The PC tuner had trouble receiving digital channel 9. The CM7000 was more sensitive, and indicated that the signal was at about the 70% level, good enough for the CM but too weak for the PCI tuner.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-28-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

ATSC tuners for PCs can be had for as cheap as $20 if you shop around. Woot had a bunch of the ATI tuners on sale the other day for $20. I picked up three. They had them during the last woot off for $15 (plus $5 ship) and I think sellout.woot had them too.

Ryan, N2RJ

Opinions expressed are solely my own, and not that of my employers, its parent company, affiliates and subsidiaries.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page