Digital Stream 9950/TiVo/Panasonic Television - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought Panasonic Viera in June 2009, hooked up the TiVo, and the DS 9950. I have series 2 dual tuner TiVo which when the DS 9950 actually brings in the signal works well for recording (a few times channel didn't change, but is only maybe 1-2 times a month) Initially just had the same reception problems I had before the digital switch, but since Oct/Nov 2009 have had major issues trying to get ABC, CBS, and PBS to come in though the converter box so I haven't been able to record anything on those channels. There was about 1 week last month that magically all channels came in throught the DS & TiVo recorded beautifully. I have unplugged tv, TiVo, DS - re-programmed them all, set them all to defaults, moved the UHF/VHF antenna, switched line in/ch 3/4 input, checked and re-checked all cables, but nothing seems to help.

Also I find so strange that DS occasionally picks up Vegas TV and JTV, but the Panasonic TV just has snow. The converter box also was picking up THIS_TV but on the TV it is only snow. But if I fiddle with the antenna ABC, CBS, and PBS will come in through the tv, but still no luck with the DS 9950????

I live in an apartment, management will not put antenna on roof or allow me to do so. I have been out of work since Sept and only worked for 4 months prior to that so paying for outrageous cable/satelite is out of the realm of possibilities, plus even when I could afford it I didn't purchase as I am satisfied with just the local channels.

I just want to be able to watch my tv & use my TiVo to record any inexpensive suggestions?

Please keep jargon to a minimum as I am not very technically inclined, know enough to hook things up, but that is about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-15-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinlover821 View Post

Bought Panasonic Viera in June 2009, hooked up the TiVo, and the DS 9950. I have series 2 dual tuner TiVo which when the DS 9950 actually brings in the signal works well for recording (a few times channel didn't change, but is only maybe 1-2 times a month) .... since Oct/Nov 2009 have had major issues trying to get ABC, CBS, and PBS to come in though the converter box so I haven't been able to record anything on those channels. There was about 1 week last month that magically all channels came in throught the DS & TiVo recorded beautifully. I have unplugged tv, TiVo, DS - re-programmed them all, set them all to defaults, moved the UHF/VHF antenna, switched line in/ch 3/4 input, checked and re-checked all cables, but nothing seems to help.

Also I find so strange that DS occasionally picks up Vegas TV and JTV, but the Panasonic TV just has snow. The converter box also was picking up THIS_TV but on the TV it is only snow. But if I fiddle with the antenna ABC, CBS, and PBS will come in through the tv, but still no luck with the DS 9950????

I live in an apartment, management will not put antenna on roof or allow me to do so.......

I just want to be able to watch my tv & use my TiVo to record any inexpensive suggestions?.....

Please keep jargon to a minimum as I am not very technically inclined,

Most if not all of your problems are antenna related. Simply, your current antenna supplies marginal signals to the tuners in your DS and HDTV. Since the tuners are different designs, one handles a particular kind of signal corruption better than the other. That's why sometimes a signal is good enough for one tuner but not good enough for the other.

The TV signals get corrupted as they bounce off of objects, refract around corners, and get absorbed by things like leaves.

Your antenna problem belongs in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25 and not the CECB forum. When you ask a question there, be sure to include your zip code and description of the antenna you are currently using. Go to http://www.tvfool.com and find out what direction & how far away your local TV transmitters are.

Indoor antennas are always a hit & miss kind of thing, but you can inprove your odds of getting a good answer by providing this information.

The last I heard, tivo was not supporting converter boxes on Series 2 two tuner models. Just how are you getting the tivo to change channels on the DS?
post #3 of 9 Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpowell View Post

Most if not all of your problems are antenna related. Simply, your current antenna supplies marginal signals to the tuners in your DS and HDTV. Since the tuners are different designs, one handles a particular kind of signal corruption better than the other. That's why sometimes a signal is good enough for one tuner but not good enough for the other.

The TV signals get corrupted as they bounce off of objects, refract around corners, and get absorbed by things like leaves.

Your antenna problem belongs in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25 and not the CECB forum. When you ask a question there, be sure to include your zip code and description of the antenna you are currently using. Go to http://www.tvfool.com and find out what direction & how far away your local TV transmitters are.

Indoor antennas are always a hit & miss kind of thing, but you can inprove your odds of getting a good answer by providing this information.

The last I heard, tivo was not supporting converter boxes on Series 2 two tuner models. Just how are you getting the tivo to change channels on the DS?

Thank you for the information. I have gone to the antenna site, it only gives info for outdoor antennas, not much help for indoor antenna.

As far as the TiVo, thanks to another member on this forum the TiVo works with the converter box by setting up TiVo to see it as a satellite box. So now is a single tuner, no longer a dual tuner. Again frustration lies with the converter box suddenly not bringing in the signals as it did originally, leaving me unable to record at all.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-16-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My friend is in the same boat - he hung an outdoor antenna from the ceiling of his patio. In many apartments there are already existing coax feeds for cable TV.

OK, so his is kind of this standard style (Yagi Uda):

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3808570

On his antenna the long rods forming the triangle shape (VHF) fold out on a pivot and since it's such a monster he could only open them up partially. Still beats the heck out of an indoor antenna, especially since most of the VHF stations are now on the upper VHF band (the lower the frequency the longer the rod).

His biggest problem is the UHF section - that smaller V part that protrudes in the vertical direction causing the antenna mount to back off from the ceiling, plus the other half of the V 'poking' down. I've seen pics of other antennas of this sort that integrate the UHF antenna in a manner that it doesn't protrude vertically.

Now speaking of which, if most of your stations are UHF then you can get by with just a UHF antenna. I've seen some that are flat in nature and would mount against a wall on a patio (or wall in house if you don't mind the rough wall art ); Example:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3766859

The bigger versions of these might pick up the upper VHF stations good enough.

Those links are just for pic examples, the aforementioned antenna forum link should be a good place to investigate an antenna to buy. Of course you may already have one at your dosposal. GL!

post #5 of 9 Old 02-16-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the information. I have gone to the antenna site, it only gives info for outdoor antennas, not much help for indoor antenna.

The information at the site is just as important for indoor antennas as it is for outdoor antennas. In particular, you need the direction, distance, and "real" channels the stations use.

This will tell you things like what frequency bands the antenna has to handle. It can also help you find the best spot to locate your antenna. Try to look at things from the point of view of TV signals. What do the signals have to go through to get to the antenna? What antenna location is likely to have the best signal.

And get a length of coax so you can experiment with antenna locations & adjustments.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-17-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
TiVo Dual Tuner Series 2 boxes were never meant to work with OTA, so I wonder how the OP is making a converter box work with the TiVo. Supposedly the DTs were never upgraded to have the remote control codes for digital converter boxes.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

TiVo Dual Tuner Series 2 boxes were never meant to work with OTA, so I wonder how the OP is making a converter box work with the TiVo. Supposedly the DTs were never upgraded to have the remote control codes for digital converter boxes.

I received this very useful message from:
fredmertz 6/21/08
Hi,
I just finished setting up my Series2-DT to work with a Digital Stream DTX9950 CECB... it's a little early yet to tell for sure if there are any unexpected glitches but, so far, all looks good.
The CECB is connected to the Tivo with a 3-wire AV cord (not supplied with the box) and IR-Blaster. The Tivo is set up for Dish Network (Dish commonly maps local stations to the same channel number on their receivers) with the sat box brand set to HITACHI.

Channel changing works fine for me with this setup... the Tivo sends out the base channel number (for example: 10) and, after a short pause, the CECB fills in 10-1 and changes channels.
The only drawback is that you can't access additional sub-channels (10-2, 10-3, etc.) but, in my area, the locals broadcast little or nothing on the 'extended' sub-channels.

The next step was deleting the hundreds of unneeded Dish Network channels so I was left with the 7 local stations of interest (makes the whole thing easier to work with).
Also, the IR sensor on the Digital Stream unit is just under the TR in DIGITALSTREAM so that's where you point your IR-Blaster emitter(s). You might also want to set up the CECB's channel list (auto scan plus editing) and do any antenna tweaking before hooking up to your Tivo so you're not working with too many unknown conditions at one time (makes locating problems easier).
Good luck!

Actually have to put IR blaster just to the left of green dot (if u r facing the box)

So I set the TiVo to record thru the converter box & watch a different channel on my new TV. Again, only problem is the converter box is very inconsistent with bringing in the stations. When I first hooked it up in Feb 2009 it was great -- then around Oct/Nov 09 started having big issues.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

My friend is in the same boat - he hung an outdoor antenna from the ceiling of his patio. In many apartments there are already existing coax feeds for cable TV.

OK, so his is kind of this standard style (Yagi Uda):

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3808570

On his antenna the long rods forming the triangle shape (VHF) fold out on a pivot and since it's such a monster he could only open them up partially. Still beats the heck out of an indoor antenna, especially since most of the VHF stations are now on the upper VHF band (the lower the frequency the longer the rod).

His biggest problem is the UHF section - that smaller V part that protrudes in the vertical direction causing the antenna mount to back off from the ceiling, plus the other half of the V 'poking' down. I've seen pics of other antennas of this sort that integrate the UHF antenna in a manner that it doesn't protrude vertically.

Now speaking of which, if most of your stations are UHF then you can get by with just a UHF antenna. I've seen some that are flat in nature and would mount against a wall on a patio (or wall in house if you don't mind the rough wall art ); Example:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3766859

The bigger versions of these might pick up the upper VHF stations good enough.

Those links are just for pic examples, the aforementioned antenna forum link should be a good place to investigate an antenna to buy. Of course you may already have one at your dosposal. GL!

Thank you for your post. Unless there is a wireless antenna that I can put on my patio, the wonderful set up your friend has is a "no go". I can barely close & lock my patio door as it is, so running a cord there isn't possible. Apartment complex will not allow me or maintaince to drill hole to run cord thru -- + I worry about bugs crawling in thru the openings. I already have enough problems with spiders & roaches.

I guess I am just SOL. Have thought about seeing if Radio Shack will give me another box as I did buy the extended warranty. I think its the box more than the antenna. But I can't "prove" it.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Thank you for your post. Unless there is a wireless antenna that I can put on my patio, the wonderful set up your friend has is a "no go". I can barely close & lock my patio door as it is, so running a cord there isn't possible. Apartment complex will not allow me or maintaince to drill hole to run cord thru -- + I worry about bugs crawling in thru the openings. I already have enough problems with spiders & roaches.

I guess I am just SOL. Have thought about seeing if Radio Shack will give me another box as I did buy the extended warranty. I think its the box more than the antenna. But I can't "prove" it.

Your welcome. Understood although I would caulk it in and/or use cable plugs that go around the cable and fill in the hole.
If you have existing cable see where it goes through the wall, may be too far from the patio though.
There's always those skinny flat panel UHF antennas that could be mounted on an inside wall (closet? cover with something?).

Yeah if your Radio Shack has one hooked up for display tell them to plug your box in for comparison. Of course a lot of those stores will just swap you for another box on your word it don't work properly. GL!

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page