The Future of Converter Boxes & FREE DTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If the FCC, Congress & the White House have their way, there will be less & less FREE DTV: If you want your converter box to continue to be as useful as it is today, you have to write Congress - We ALL need to write Congress BEFORE October:

The Right to Write
Some Suggestions on Writing Your Congressman
by Morris K. Udall, Member, U.S. Congress
And if the Congress ignores the will of the people, we will need to vote for a change in November.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

Save Free HDTV: Facebook Page

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-24-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Moneymaker for the gov't and with all the spending they're going to pick us to death to find money to repay all the debt.

Too bad they didn't do it right to begin with and do it with something more spectrally efficient like CDMA (disclosure: I don't know all the details of the 5 Ws).

post #3 of 8 Old 07-31-2010, 09:58 AM

Liked: 10
Code Division Multiple Access isn't really a protocol.

Plus it has no relevance to broadcast TV, which simply sends a stream of data to everyone, without having to share the channel (i.e. no D or MA).

My Free TV streams 19 Mbps == 6000 GB/month per channel. No cellphone can do that. WHY kill off this excellent service??
post #4 of 8 Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
"like CDMA." My point being that there may be something more "spectrally efficient" such as a spread-spectrum technique as data requirements increase. I suspect too cost/size prohibitive though.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-03-2010, 08:17 AM

Is there a preformatted letter for users, where all we have to do it fill out names and addresses and post it to the representatives?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-07-2010, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2010 View Post

Is there a preformatted letter for users, where all we have to do it fill out names and addresses and post it to the representatives?

I've not seen any to date.

Congress can easily spot a form letter. Please compose your own letter and include how the loss of TV spectrum will affect your state - local issues matter.

However, Dan has summarized several points, which you may wish to include. Also: The Economics of Free OTA DTV vs. Cable

Please also see:

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2010 View Post

Dan & I have composed such a letter for you and anyone else who's interested in writing Congress. Please feel free to modify it as necessary to address the needs in your particular state.

Thanks for your interest in saving FREE DTV!

post #8 of 8 Old 09-13-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

"like CDMA." My point being that there may be something more "spectrally efficient" such as a spread-spectrum technique as data requirements increase.

Well in theory CDMA would allow two stations to broadcast on the same channel/frequency, but then each station would get exactly half the datarate minus coding overhead (9 Mbit/s rather than the current ~19). You would gain little by this change.

You're better off sticking with the current ATSC and multiplexing. Maybe move from 8VSB to 16VSB to double the datarate, but at the cost of noise like rainclouds or microwaves disrupting reception twice as often.

LETTER (short and to the point, so it gets read by my busy Employee in congress):

Dear ____,
Two issues:
(1) Don't take away my TV channels 25 through 51, and sell them off to cellphone or broadband monopolies. I love getting approximately forty FREE channels, and not having to waste ~$80 a month paying the ____s over at Comcast or Verizon. The idiotic FCC plan to sell 25-51 would leave me with about 1/4 as many channels as I have now. Not acceptable.

(2) Save the internet. Google and Verizon have an agreement on how to manage Internet traffic, which will favor their services while blocking/slowing down competitive services (example: yahoo.com). Unacceptable. Support net neutrality, regulated by the FCC, the same way they regulate the Telephone monopolies (so-called common carriers).

My Name
electrical engineer

My Free TV streams 19 Mbps == 6000 GB/month per channel. No cellphone can do that. WHY kill off this excellent service??
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page