Boxes now getting time signal off CW stations, not CBS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2010, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A couple times in the last few months I've noticed the time was off on my two DTVPal boxes. I have both set to tune to our CBS affiliate every morning for a few minutes so's to make sure the time stays right.

Each time they've been found to be off (once by exactly an hour) tuning to the CBS station again did NOTHING, but oddly enough, as I channel surfed and passed our CW affiliate, the time immediately corrected itself.

Anyone else noticed anything like this? CBS is part owner of the CW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

A couple times in the last few months I've noticed the time was off on my two DTVPal boxes. I have both set to tune to our CBS affiliate every morning for a few minutes so's to make sure the time stays right.

Each time they've been found to be off (once by exactly an hour) tuning to the CBS station again did NOTHING, but oddly enough, as I channel surfed and passed our CW affiliate, the time immediately corrected itself.

Anyone else noticed anything like this? CBS is part owner of the CW.

The time is derived form the local station regardless of who they are affiliated with. Call the station that has the problem.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-21-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

The time is derived form the local station regardless of who they are affiliated with. Call the station that has the problem.

Actually, many boxes were made to lock in on what a CBS affiliate gives as the time, and to ignore all others.

This has been the case here, until now.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 PM

Liked: 12
RE: CBS is part owner of the CW

If that is the case-I would assume it is quite possible for the scenario you describe to occur. Who knows....

(Q: Have you contacted the offending parties? If so post back your findings...)

For me IIRC:

DTVPal Plus units I have get their time stamp signal from CBS. Other boxes I don't use much...

Stupid DTVPal Plus can be receiving 20 other stations, all with the correct time and "if" CBS is off it does not "look" at those other stations, it only looks at CBS. IF CBS is off (which happens often-Incorrect more than it is right) it throws the time, and the timmers off by whatever incorrect time CBS is boradcasting.

Have contacted my CBS station several times. While they are usually quick to fix (adjust) the time, the engineer I talked with a while back blamed it on the server they are getting the time stamp info being "off.

(Gee how hard would it be to set-up the server to obtain the correct time? Top of the hour comes around and it is seldom the time is correct)

Regardless to Who, or what channel is broadcasting the incorrect time stamp and who owns what station. Dish/Echo or whoever programed /designed the DTVPal series should be boiled in oil for NOT programing the box to "average", or look at all stations across the board- and throw out the oddball time stamp. Without a way to manually set the time, as there is NO option within the DTVPal Plus's menus to set the time you are totally at the mercy of CBS.

Q: I read somewhere, a while back that the FCC regulations? state that the time stamp must be correct to within a very narrow range- Something like a second or so...

What is the process to report a station that is broadcasting a improper time stamp on a consistent basis to the FCC (or whoever)?

While I'd rather be nice- and deal with the station directly- Bringing in the FCC may be the only way to get them serious about fixing their time server /whatever device injects the time stamp into the data-stream.

post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've noticed when I channel surf some of the stations are off by several minutes and those same stations are off day after day.
Some stations are real lazy about loading EPG info too. I often get 'No info available' on regular offenders. And I'm tired of seeing 'Dave interviews guests and hosts musical performances' - duh!

post #6 of 7 Old 10-24-2010, 08:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

I've noticed when I channel surf some of the stations are off by several minutes and those same stations are off day after day.
Some stations are real lazy about loading EPG info too. I often get 'No info available' on regular offenders. And I'm tired of seeing 'Dave interviews guests and hosts musical performances' - duh!

Q: What kind /model converter box?

Re: On the info not being populated, or incorrect...

I think that advertisers would not be happy that info is not being provided correctly in the guide, and/or the time being incorrect.

No info in guide, or incorrect time means less exposure to their ads... Guide being correct & correct time so timers work correctly means more exposure to the ads.

Maybe we all need to start contacting the advertisers... Another idea would be contacting the stations in mass (unlikely as it's hard to get internet folks to do anything) requesting the advertisers contact info, expressing a displeasure with the stations dragging their feet on putting out complete guide info and/ or improper time.

post #7 of 7 Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone69 View Post

Q: What kind /model converter box?

Re: On the info not being populated, or incorrect...

My ChannelMaster. Now I don't know if it's known to have erratic EPG but the other stations are working fine. May try playing with the box though (reset, etc.).

I have Zinwells too but not much of an EPG. A backup Artec too, rarely used (configured in my bedroom with the Zinwell for its EPG but I'm usually too lazy to mess with it - plug it in and toggle the Zinwell's APT). I'll have to check them out next time it occurs.

I think I've seen the time offsets on both the CM and Zinwell.

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page