Any place still selling Apex, Insignia, or Zenith? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been told that those three boxes use the same InfraRed codes as certain cable/satellite boxes, meaning older TiVos (like mine) that were never upgraded to work with converter boxes might still be able to control those three brands, since they likely "know" the correct IR codes.

Anyone know of a source where any of those three can still be purchased (aside from eBay or Craigslist)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Apparently the Zenith DTT901 has achieved some sort of cult status, since the Amazon new price is $ 159.99 and the used price is $ 64.73. Makes the two I paid $ 10 each for (after $ 40 coupon) seem a real bargain, especially since I still use them daily and they are great.

The Insignia is the same unit other than the exterior cosmetics, but was only sold at Best Buy as far as I know and is no longer listed there.

The Apex 250A is new at Amazon for $ 45.00 and new at Best Buy for $ 54.99. I still see this unit in my local Best Buy also and it seems like the price the last time I looked was lower than that; you may wish to check yourself if you have a store close by.

There are some other units available at Amazon including the Coby DTV102 which is also sold at Best Buy. Personally I wouldn't go with a Coby unless a lot of people vouched for it. The $ 40 Zinwell ZAT-970A is on Amazon.

I love the Zenith DTT901 but not enough to pay $ 159.99! Given your parameters I would say go for the Apex 250A. Good luck!
post #3 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As for the Coby, nothing was said about a Series 1 TiVo "knowing" the IR codes to control such a box, so it wouldn't help me.

Apex may be it, tho'!
post #4 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've read to avoid the Apex 250s but the 502 (s?) are OK.

I've seen the Zeniths and Insignias at good prices on Craigslist, like $20 or so. Also new ones a little higher. I use the key words "tv converter" but also look at the ads for TVs as many bundle 'em up as if one of the two are free.

Those Amazon prices are just crazy, an Artec is basically the same unit. What code(s) are you looking for?

post #5 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

but also look at the ads for TVs as many bundle 'em up as if one of the two are free.

Good tip! I see those listings frequently. I wonder how the seller would respond if one said "you can keep the TV" My guess is they would want to get rid of the TV since it would only cost them money to dispose of it.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

I've been told that those three boxes use the same InfraRed codes as certain cable/satellite boxes, meaning older TiVos (like mine) that were never upgraded to work with converter boxes might still be able to control those three brands, since they likely "know" the correct IR codes.

My DTV Pal uses the same code as my Dish receiver.

The Channel Master CM-7000 uses an old, Pioneer cable box code and works with just about every IR blastered recorder.

The LG's use an LG DirecTV DVR code.

RCA's use a pretty common code, too.

I don't know exactly how old your recorder is, but the DVD recorders and remote controls that are more than a few years old are more likely to have the CM and the Dish code than the other two.

(edit: oh, wait - you said "Series 1 TiVo" - that's pretty old. It could have one or both of the other two, but who knows.)
post #7 of 13 Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Good tip! I see those listings frequently. I wonder how the seller would respond if one said "you can keep the TV" My guess is they would want to get rid of the TV since it would only cost them money to dispose of it.

LOL, I wondered that myself on the big boat anchor TVs like consoles. It does look like a majority of them are to sell the box while clearing out the TV, fortunately many are smaller TVs that are easy to carry (stick in the bathroom? ).

There's one guy that keeps listing an old small knob TV with a rabbit ear antenna and box for $85 . I've seen the ad repost weekly for a year or two. He just recently dropped the price to $75 - what a deal!

Fort Worth gives us a whopping two electronic device recycle/dumps per year as part of the sanitation service. But there may be folks that pick them up for their own recycling if listed in the Craigslist Free section.

post #8 of 13 Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...What code(s) are you looking for?

This is the info I was given on the TiVo Community forums site-

"The Apex converter uses code 10098, which is identical to code 10020 for a Hughes satellite receiver.

"Code 10090 for Insignia and Zenith converters is the same as code 10075 for LG satellite boxes..."

TiVo owner ggieseke was the one who posted.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is the info I was given on the TiVo Community forums site-

"The Apex converter uses code 10098, which is identical to code 10020 for a Hughes satellite receiver.

"Code 10090 for Insignia and Zenith converters is the same as code 10075 for LG satellite boxes..."

TiVo owner ggieseke was the one who posted.

I'm not familiar with those longer codes.
I looked at my Panasonic U-remote table and the Artec (1577) doesn't match the Zenith/Insignia (1676); don't know if that means anything for your app though.
Unfortunately my Artec (nor Zinwell) manual doesn't say anything about codes like my CM manual that has a ref to Pioneer cable box codes.

Sorry I couln't be of more help.

post #10 of 13 Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I looked at my Panasonic U-remote table and the Artec (1577) doesn't match the Zenith/Insignia (1676)...

You sort of lost me.

I don't see anyone having mentioned the Artec. Why do you bring it up?

There was mention of boxes by LG in connection with the Zeniths and Insignias...

Oh...wait...

YOU mentioned the Artec! LOL!
post #11 of 13 Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You sort of lost me.

I don't see anyone having mentioned the Artec. Why do you bring it up?

There was mention of boxes by LG in connection with the Zeniths and Insignias...

Oh...wait...

YOU mentioned the Artec! LOL!

Indeed, in ref to the Artec being basically the same unit as the Zenith/Insignia (sort of a clone). That being the case I thought there was a chance the Artec may work for you too and they can still be purchased new online at a reasonable price.

post #12 of 13 Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Someone above mentioned the Zenith DTT901...

Think the DTT900 would use the same remote codes? (Hmmm...since no model number had been given me to begin with, just the "Zenith" name, I should assume the 900 would do the job just as well.)
post #13 of 13 Old 01-27-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Someone above mentioned the Zenith DTT901...

Think the DTT900 would use the same remote codes? (Hmmm...since no model number had been given me to begin with, just the "Zenith" name, I should assume the 900 would do the job just as well.)

The Zenith DTT900 and DTT901 models use the same remote. The Insignia models also use the same remote, bearing the Insignia name.

Many of the Zenith DTT900 and Insignia models produced before March 2008 have the much-discussed sibilance problem. Some of the audio problems were corrected in March and April 2008 production. Keep that in mind when purchasing a DTT900 or a similar Insignia model.

The audio problems were resolved by the time DTT901 production began around 8 April 2008. The DTT901 and the similar Insignia model have the analog pass through feature. Earlier models do not.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page