Help With Setup!! - Just got a Digital Analog Converter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

So I recently decided to get rid of my cable because I don't watch enough TV to warrant the extra $60 a month.

After some research I purchased the Zinwell ZAT-970A Digital to Analog Converter Box and the Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified HD Antenna.

I currently own a (quite old) Fujitsu "Plasmavision" (I am 99% sure not digital)
[Model: PDS4242W-S] and a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R AV Receiver.

My Current Setup (which doesn't work)
-The Terk Antenna is connected to the RF-in on my Zinwell (and the power is connected to a working outlet)

-The Zinwell is connected (to a power source, Terk) and from the R-L Out to the Audio in for Video-1 on the receiver via a white/red audio cables; from the Video Out to the S-Video in for Video-1 on the receiver via a yellow composite cable.

-The receiver is connected to a power source, 2 external speakers (that were working perfectly fine with my previous set up on cable), and in addition to the above is connected from S-Video Out on the receiver to S-Video in on the TV.

I turned on the TV, the receiver, the Zinwell, and the switch on the TERK, and my TV is black, no video no audio, it looks the same as if it were on and not connected to anything. I pressed as many buttons as I could think of any every item and no changes, nothing to give me a glimmer of hope.

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,

JSS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Welcome to the forum, JSS12.

In order to isolate the problem, have you tried going from the Zinwell directly to the TV?

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #3 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post

Welcome to the forum, JSS12.

In order to isolate the problem, have you tried going from the Zinwell directly to the TV?

Unfortunately, due to the connections in the back of the TV there is no way to connect the Zinwell directly to the TV, just as there was no way to connect my Cable to the TV directly.

The only difference with my new set up vs when I had a cable box is the video was trasferred from the cable box to the receiver via the three component cables Red/Green/Blue and now I am using the single Yellow cable.

It is also interesting because the audio is also not working and the only difference from before is that instead of the red/white audio cables going from the cable box to the receiver they now go from the Zinwell to the receiver (not much of a change)

And thanks for the welcome, I will hopefully be glad to be here
post #4 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

I looked at the manual for your plasma display:
http://www.fujitsu-general.co.uk/dow...sersManual.pdf

and I looked at the manual for the Zinwell. I don't see any reason why you can't connect the audio and video outputs from the Zinwell to the audio and video inputs for your plasma display. (page E15: press video button on Fujitsu remote control to select video input)
LL

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #5 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I looked at the manual for your plasma display:
http://www.fujitsu-general.co.uk/dow...sersManual.pdf

and I looked at the manual for the Zinwell. I don't see any reason why you can't connect the audio and video outputs from the Zinwell to the audio and video inputs for your plasma display.

Ok you are right,
However I would need new cables that would be an RCA connector on one side and a BNC on the other. I do not currently own those, and would prefer to see if I can get things working with the wires I currently own.

Please do not confuse my using official sounding and seemingly intelligent terms with my complete and utter stupidity when it comes to this. I have done some research but I am still a NOOB!

Thanks for all of your help... any other ideas?
post #6 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Please do not confuse my using official sounding and seemingly intelligent terms with my complete and utter stupidity when it comes to this. I have done some research but I am still a NOOB!

You're doing fine. We all start as a beginner.

Quote:

Thanks for all of your help... any other ideas?

Yes, don't buy a new cable, just buy an RCA to BNC adapter.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #7 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You're doing fine. We all start as a beginner.

Yes, don't buy a new cable, just buy an RCA to BNC adapter.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, it was meant to deter you from using language that will fly over my head.

Fair enough, purchase a converter.... is there any way I can get this to work with the cables I currently own??

It all worked fine with cable.. what has changed?
post #8 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know enough about your receiver to give you a proper answer.

My idea was to get the antenna, Zinwell, and the plasma display working together so that you would have something more than a black screen. THEN, you could integrate the receiver into the sytem.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #9 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

but based on what I have said in my OP... do you see anything that could be wrong?

Also, according to the Zinwell quick set up guide, they say to turn my tv to channel 3. I just realized tonight that my TV doesnt have a channel up or channel down button... any chance this could be the problem? any way around this?
post #10 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS12 View Post

according to the Zinwell quick set up guide, they say to turn my tv to channel 3.

That applies only if you're using a coaxial cable with screw-on connectors to connect the Zinwell's RF OUT jack to your TV's "antenna" or "RF in" jack (names vary).

If you're using yellow/red/white RCA-type cables, you need to set your TV to whatever input corresponds to those jacks on the TV.
post #11 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

That applies only if you're using a coaxial cable with screw-on connectors to connect the Zinwell's RF OUT jack to your TV's "antenna" or "RF in" jack (names vary).

If you're using yellow/red/white RCA-type cables, you need to set your TV to whatever input corresponds to those jacks on the TV.

I am using the yellow/red/white cables (dont look exactly like your link) and they are inserted into Video-1 on the receiver and TV is set to Video-1
post #12 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Per page E-8 of that manual - you should be able to hook the red/white analog audio from the CECB to sound inputs 2 or 3 and the yellow composite video to input 4. You would also have to map the audio input to go with the video input. - And yes - you're right that is a BNC connector (how wierd !).

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #13 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Per page E-8 of that manual - you should be able to hook the red/white analog audio from the CECB to sound inputs 2 or 3 and the yellow composite video to input 4. You would also have to map the audio input to go with the video input. - And yes - you're right that is a BNC connector (how wierd !).

Not quite sure what u are talking about...
post #14 of 31 Old 01-29-2011, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
You stated that "The Zinwell is connected (to a power source, Terk) and from the R-L Out to the Audio in for Video-1 on the receiver via a white/red audio cables; from the Video Out to the S-Video in for Video-1 on the receiver via a yellow composite cable." If you are using a composite cable then it is not S-video. If you are in fact using a yellow composite cable into the receiver then you will need to use a yellow composite cable from the receiver to the TV and not an S-video cable.
post #15 of 31 Old 01-30-2011, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Then after you get your cables hooked up right be sure to do a channel scan on your converter box so that it can find your channels. The Terk antenna should be good up to 30 miles. Go to www.tvfool.com and type in your info.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #16 of 31 Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

As I said earlier in post #8:
Quote:

My idea was to get the antenna, Zinwell, and the plasma display working together so that you would have something more than a black screen. THEN, you could integrate the receiver into the sytem.

Here is the manual for your receiver:
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets...sManualENG.pdf

The A/V output of the Zinwell is COMPOSITE.

Quote:

Hey all,
So I recently decided to get rid of my cable because I don't watch enough TV to warrant the extra $60 a month.

I know how you feel; I'm thinking of doing the same thing.
LL
LL
LL

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #17 of 31 Old 01-30-2011, 12:54 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
What I get from those manual pages is that the receiver is a switch and will NOT translate composite video to S-Video. If you connect a composite video to an input of the receiver, the only way to get it to the TV is to use the composite out from the receiver, not the S-Video.

Since you say your TV has BNC inputs for composite video (not clear from the manual), you need something like this to connect the RCA cable to the TV:http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDYQ8wIwAw#

I do not understand your choice of tuner however. That tuner in only capable of SD output when your monitor is capable of HD. You might have been better off with something like the ZAT502HD which has HDMI, component, S-Video, and Composite outputs. While your monitor does not have an HDMI input, it does have a component input which would allow HD signals to be displayed.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-30-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

I do not understand your choice of tuner however. That tuner in only capable of SD output when your monitor is capable of HD. You might have been better off with something like the ZAT502HD which has HDMI, component, S-Video, and Composite outputs. While your monitor does not have an HDMI input, it does have a component input which would allow HD signals to be displayed.

Bing!

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #19 of 31 Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Like HDMI Guy said above. Unless your receiver converts composite/yellow to s-video (doubtful), then it is just acting as a switch and the Zinwell's composite signal isn't making it out the receiver's s-video port.

And the reason you're not getting any audio is most likely because the Zinwell hasn't been set up yet since you can't see the menu.

post #20 of 31 Old 02-04-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

So..

Zinwell to Receiver is via a Yellow Composite - into the Composite IN on the receiver
and Receiver to TV is S-video out on receiver to S video in on TV

and you are saying that this won't transfer the video bc it the receiver wont convert composite to S-Video?? ok...

So what is next???

I need a RCA to Male BNC converter?? so I can go from Zinwell straight to TV? and the BNC input on my TV is "composite"?
post #21 of 31 Old 02-04-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree.. my noobie-ness is partially at fault here. In addition, my cheapness is more to blame here.

We dropped cable and will likely stay this way for about a year or two, and then will likely go back. In addition, at that point we will purchase a NEW tv.
I have never had HD before (I know, sad faces all around) and I am fine without it. In a few years when we are ready to drop some real cash on our home theater system... I will definitely consult this forum and make sure we are spending money wisely and getting the most out of it.

Until then, this is just to serve as a cheap band-aid to tide us over until then.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!
I told my wife I'd figure this all out... so thank you from every husband out there who said they could "handle" it.
post #22 of 31 Old 02-04-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
I do not understand your choice of tuner however. That tuner in only capable of SD output when your monitor is capable of HD. You might have been better off with something like the ZAT502HD which has HDMI, component, S-Video, and Composite outputs.
For just a few dollars more, he could have gotten the DTA1100HD tuner new from ebay, which is the same box as the Centronics.
post #23 of 31 Old 02-04-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So..

Zinwell to Receiver is via a Yellow Composite - into the Composite IN on the receiver

and you are saying that this won't transfer the video bc it the receiver wont convert composite to S-Video?? ok...

So what is next???

I need a RCA to Male BNC converter?? so I can go from Zinwell straight to TV? and the BNC input on my TV is "composite"?
I'm referencing the document provided by rabbit. Looks like you got yourself a UK version of the TV (and hence the BNCs).

The Zinwell composite connector is yellow where the cable plugs in.

Your TV document doesn't refer to anything as composite but I'm making the assumption that the lone input labeled VIDEO IN (#4 and next to the #5 S-VIDEO INPUT) is for a composite video signal since it says you can plug in a VCR. Note they use the term "Comp." but are referring to component (RGB) video. They use the word "Video" to refer to what we are calling composite.

I'll leave it to you to determine the proper RCA-to-BNC adapter as I can't tell the type of BNC. Note the cable shown on page E-13.

Yeah try going from the Zinwell to the TV first. You'll have to select the proper input on your TV menu (I suspect VIDEO IN). If you have the remote check out the first half of page E-15. Otherwise see page E-22.

If all works well then you can later cable through your AV receiver as an audio/video switch like you were trying to do before if you so desire. You'll use the AVR's yellow composite output for that channel to the TV.

post #24 of 31 Old 02-04-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed page E-7 has an Input mode selector button [MODE], #5.

I also noticed there may be an issue with the 'type' of video input mode, see page E-33. If need be I'd try Auto, then NTSC, then 4.43NTSC (?).

I'm confused as to exactly how they're selecting which input connector vs which input type (mode?). Maybe Input Priority on page E-23, #4 is required to determine the the iinput connector.

post #25 of 31 Old 02-09-2011, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone please just give me a dumb down version of exactly

WHAT I NEED TO BUY/DO TO GET THIS WORKING?!?!

all this technology and refering to my manual that i don't have is way over my head. I don't mean to be rude, I'm very appreciative of all of you for answering my thread. But, I just want to know what to do... (if I should purchase please provide a link for what to buy so I don't accidentally order the wrong thing)

THANKS!!
post #26 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can anyone please just give me a dumb down version of exactly

WHAT I NEED TO BUY/DO TO GET THIS WORKING?!?!

all this technology and refering to my manual that i don't have is way over my head. I don't mean to be rude, I'm very appreciative of all of you for answering my thread. But, I just want to know what to do... (if I should purchase please provide a link for what to buy so I don't accidentally order the wrong thing)

THANKS!!

rabbit provided a link to your manual in post #4, you really should look at it and my instructions will make a lot more sense.

If you click on the highlighted word "BNC adapter" in rabbit's post #6 it will bring up the adapter. This is the correct adapter IF the back of your TV has a BNC connector that looks like this:

http://www.avcable.com/Merchant2/mer...-BNC-CONNECTOR

Once you have it all hooked up try pressing the VIDEO button on the remote through the selections until "Video" appears, then something from the Zinwell should display.

post #27 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

JSS12:

Don't give up yet; success is within your reach!

I know that you would like to connect everything up and have it work, but you already tried that and it didn't. What you need to do now is a little troubleshooting.

The best troubleshooting technique to use for your problem is called "divide-and-conquer." You need to reduce your system to as few components as possible to determine which one is causing the problem. That is why I suggested that you start with just the antenna, the Zinwell, and the plasma. If that combination doesn't work either, then you must substitute each component for one that you know will work.

For example: Have you tried the antenna with another TV (yours or a borrowed one) that has a digital (ATSC) tuner to be certain that the antenna and its location will pick up the signals that you want?

If that test works, then connect your antenna to the Zinwell and then to the RF or A/V input of a working TV (another one of yours, that is not the plasma, or a borrowed one).

If that works, then connect your antenna and Zinwell to the video input of the plasma display.

If that works, then you are ready to integrate the receiver into the setup. You will not be able to use the S-video path through the receiver for the signal as you did for cable, because the Zinwell doesn't have S-video output. You must use the composite path through your receiver.

Quote:

Zinwell to Receiver via Composite is OK, but Receiver to TV S-video is not OK. I don't think your Receiver will convert Composite to S-video, and the Zinwell doesn't have component output like your cable box did. I think it must be Composite all the way through to the plasma display.

If you don't go through this sequence, how will you know which piece of equipment is causing the problem?

I found your location in your first post on another thread:
Quote:

After years with cable, I finally realized that I barely watch any television due to my crazy work hours (maybe 2 hours a month of TV). As such, I made the prudent decision and canceled cable, saving me about $60 a month.

I am left with a 42" Plasma TV from about 2000-2001, it is NOT digital. As such, I need to purchase both a digital converter box and an antenna.

I currently live in Brooklyn, NY about 10-15 miles away from the Empire State Building where I believe most stations still transmit. I am on the 3rd floor of a 5 story apartment building. I am not looking for the top of the line items as my TV watching is so infrequent, and one day when I will have more time for TV I will upgrade my entire system.

Until then, I just want a decent quality converter and antenna. From what I read here, it seems as though outdoor antennas are better but I am looking for an indoor one.

Sincerely,

JSS

The tvfool report for Brooklyn, NY looks like this:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e07c8fe1287dfe

On which side of the apartment building is your apartment and antenna?

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #28 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

You can also get a convertor from composite to s-video at www.svideo.com - idea here being convert the composite output on the CECB to SVideo, then connect that to your TV or A/V receiver.

post #29 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Should i try Post #26 or #28??

I just don't want to make another foolish error... these both sound good to me. Is one better?

Thanks!
post #30 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

either one will work - which is easier to get ?

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page