Access DTA1080D supposed to turn the tv off/on? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hope this is the right section to post this question. I just purchased 4 of the Access 1080D converters for the 4 old tv sets around our place.

Took one of them out of the box and hooked it up to tv #1. Did the set-up thing, auto program, found some good channels and I could swear I hit the standby red button and it turned the converter box AND the tv off.

I then proceed to take the same converter box and remote to the other three tv's and while I got all the channels and all other functions of the remote worked, it would not turn the tv off/on. I did the scan channels thing again and it still won't turn the tv off or on. I take the box back to tv #1 and it would not do off/on.

Maybe I was imagining things when the off/on worked on tv #1 the first time.

Are these boxes supposed turn off/on both the box and the tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 93
If they did it would be with a separate button for TV power. Some CECBs had a somewhat universal remote that would control TV power and volume. The only way to do it with one button would be something like a Harmony and for what the CECBs sell for, they ain't no Harmony
Also note with the separate button remotes they generally need to be setup for the brand of TV you have although if you have the same brand TV as CECB the TV power button may be default for that brand.
It's also possible that the remote code for your CECB's power is the same as your TV, but not very likely.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

If they did it would be with a separate button for TV power. Some CECBs had a somewhat universal remote that would control TV power and volume. The only way to do it with one button would be something like a Harmony and for what the CECBs sell for, they ain't no Harmony
Also note with the separate button remotes they generally need to be setup for the brand of TV you have although if you have the same brand TV as CECB the TV power button may be default for that brand.
It's also possible that the remote code for your CECB's power is the same as your TV, but not very likely.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I got myself into quite a situation here. We have had comcast cable for the last 18 years or so and wanted to drop it as I only watch 5 shows out of the 70 some channels for $65 per month. Ran the cable to the different locations long ago and ported the signal to five TV's around the place, only one of which is the newer digital/HD type.

Figured $65 per month is a good savings but knew I'd have to invest in the antenna $80, but already had the mast/mount/cable and connectors. Didn't realize the four old tv's would get no signal at all from the antenna unless a converter box was used ($40 each x 4). Now I find out that not only is the converter box needed but the old remote to the tv must be retained just to turn the thing on and off. Two of the old tv's don't even have remotes anymore (they used the comcast dta remote).

Bummer. I guess I suck at saving money. Never realized how much of a bargain the $65 cable for 5 tv's was.

So my options are to buy 4 new more expensive remotes that will operate the converter box and turn the tv off/on, or buy 4 new tv's and the converter box is not needed?

Any chance this remote would operate both the converter box and the turn the tv off/on, and I could just not use the remote that came with the Access DTA1080D?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Thanks
post #4 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Not sure if it'll conrol the Access, but I have a similar model of the same brand remote, and I believe it will at least turn on and off, and control the volume and channels of my Zinwell CECB.

Best thing to do would be to find the Access thread here and look and/or ask in it to see what kind of code it uses. If it's from a common brand of a common device, that remote might have it.

(The Zinwell is available from Amazon.com for $40.00 w/free shipping, in case you'd be interested.).
post #5 of 18 Old 02-14-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Overkill, or at least for the smaller setups. I use an inexpensive Philips universal remote that was on sale for $10 at CVS drug store with a $10 ExtraBucks rebate so my net cost was free. Lists Access HD as code 1676 which is the same code it lists for a few others including the Zenith/Insignia, thereby leading me to believe the Access HD is pretty common for the u-remotes. It's only a 3-way (TV, DVD/DVR/VCR, and Sat/DTV/Cable) but ones that control a higher number of devices are available for a little more money. I suspect there's plenty of other economy u-remotes at Walmart, Best Buy, etc.

BTW I had an older model of this same remote. The packaging didn't advertise that it worked for converter boxes (DTV above) but the manual and code list show that it does work; uses the cable button. Many of the converters use cable box codes.

If you still have any of the cable box remotes you may be able to use those if they're programmable and you can dig up the codes. Maybe in the Access thread. Some u-remotes have a code search function too.

You'll recover your money in no time, doesn't take long at $65 a month.

post #6 of 18 Old 02-14-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Floydage,
I have a philips universal consolidator remote on one of the old tv's to control the tv, I didn't consider trying that same remote to control the converter box as well. I dug it out along with the manual but have not been able to get it to control the converter, tried 1676 and a code search to no avail.

I found two other threads about the Access DTA1080D but they contained nothing about codes.

Not sure what to do now, given the poor feedback on this unit I wonder if I should return them and get something else. The volume doesn't work worth a darn and the box gets pretty warm during operation (maybe they all do?). I see both of these issues mentioned in the previous threads.

This one is only a couple dollars more than the Access HD I purchased from walmart but it seems to get better reviews. However, it does not come with a universal remote so I'm still stuck with the multiple remote problem.
http://www.amazon.com/Zinwell-ZAT-97...p_ob_e_image_0

Apparently there is no actual 'Off' on the Access box? It goes to standby but appears to still be on? Is that how all the converter boxes operate?
post #7 of 18 Old 02-14-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
With one of my CRT TVs connected to a CECB through the composite connections the TV appears as if it is powered off when the converter box is placed on standby (off).

The TV does not actually power off, it just appears that way due to the lack of a signal through the composite inputs.

Then, when the INPUT button on the TV's remote is pressed to select the RF input, the picture fed from a Comcast Pace DTA appears.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #8 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne02 View Post

Thanks for the replies.

Floydage,
I have a philips universal consolidator remote on one of the old tv's to control the tv, I didn't consider trying that same remote to control the converter box as well. I dug it out along with the manual but have not been able to get it to control the converter, tried 1676 and a code search to no avail.

I found two other threads about the Access DTA1080D but they contained nothing about codes.

Not sure what to do now, given the poor feedback on this unit I wonder if I should return them and get something else. The volume doesn't work worth a darn and the box gets pretty warm during operation (maybe they all do?). I see both of these issues mentioned in the previous threads.

This one is only a couple dollars more than the Access HD I purchased from walmart but it seems to get better reviews. However, it does not come with a universal remote so I'm still stuck with the multiple remote problem.
http://www.amazon.com/Zinwell-ZAT-97...p_ob_e_image_0

Apparently there is no actual 'Off' on the Access box? It goes to standby but appears to still be on? Is that how all the converter boxes operate?

Yeah that code may be specific to my remote. What's the model number of your Philips consolidator?
Here's my remote:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SRP100.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

and I see down the page there's a 4-way with Glow buttons for $9.99. Of course you can probably find better remotes/deals with a "universal remote" search and sort by price (remember I got mine because of a drug store sale). I would suggest verifying the one you like has your code in their manual (web search the model number and it should show up in a link to the manufacturer's website). Love that Amazon free super saver shipping, sometimes slow though.

I'm not familiar with the AccessHD boxes although I thought they were OK, I think similar to a Tivax. Wiki lists it with one of the better tuners although for some reason there's a ? by the tuner info. As far as the heat, if it has an external power supply/wall wart than it shouldn't be that hot; boxes with built-in power supplies do get hotter.

I noticed some of the AccessHD boxes come with a universal remote; are your boxes supposed to have them? If so refer back to jjeff's post #2.

I have several of those Zinwells and got most of them via Amazon. One of the best boxes IMO and it has a rare timer function to use in conjunction with a recorder. Only has a now/next EPG that only gives the show titles though.

Yes, many of the boxes have standby. If lighted it usually goes to red or yellow.

post #9 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

Yeah that code may be specific to my remote. What's the model number of your Philips consolidator?

It's this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SRU204...7807701&sr=1-1
post #10 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SRU204...7807701&sr=1-1

Well I found the manual but no codes. I did find this:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...k_RCCodeFinder

and unfortunately this:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...6965&faqview=1

The only hope is if there was some cross-functionality to another brand (ex: a ChannelMaster cross refs to a Pioneer cable box).

There's that note "When your remote is able to learn key's you can use this option to control your DTV box" but that one is beyond me.

post #11 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

Well I found the manual but no codes. I did find this:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...k_RCCodeFinder
and unfortunately this:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...6965&faqview=1
The only hope is if there was some cross-functionality to another brand (ex: a ChannelMaster cross refs to a Pioneer cable box).
There's that note "When your remote is able to learn key's you can use this option to control your DTV box" but that one is beyond me.

Thanks for the information.
I missed your previous questions.
- The remotes that came with the main comcast box and the two small comcast 7DTA's all have to be returned to comcast or they will charge me $250.

- The Access HD DTA1080D converter boxes I purchased from wallmart are not the universal remote version.
They are this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Access-HD-NTIA...7819654&sr=8-1

My understanding is the universal remote version is model DTA1080U.

So I guess I'm down to two options.

1. Return the four Access HD DAT1080D's to walmart and try and find four different convertor boxes that have universal remotes and hope the remote will control the tv as well.

This page lists the RCA DTA800B1 as having a universal remote, and the manual seems to confirm that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CECB_units

http://www.1800customersupport.com/p...A800B1_RCA.pdf

Kmart has this box for $50.
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...2&blockType=G2

I'm into the Access box $34 each plus would need the $10ish universal remote.

2. Keep the four Access DTA's and buy four philips or other cheap universal remotes and hope they will control the tv And the Access converter boxes.

I am worried about the very lazy volume control on the one Access box I've tried out of the four. It seems to hardly change the volume at all and I have to crank the volume way up on the tv itself to hear it.

My son works at Rite Aid and gets 20% off products. I suspect they may have the phillips universal remote.

Decisions decisions.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
The RCA CECB's remote is indeed universal.

None of the boxes' volume controls have very much range. Most people use the TV's volume.

On the one CECB I'm using (a Channel Master), the TV volume works when I have my universal remote (RCA RCR4383) set on the box input (it doesn't even control the CECB's volume).
post #13 of 18 Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you're right on the DTA1080U for u-remote. I originally thought it was DTA1080D-U. That's a good price on that Amazon>Tiger link.

My Mom has an RCA that looks like that but not sure of the model number. I can't attest to its performance in detail because she has it connected to a tiny TV using a very cheap UHF antenna in her sunroom, but it seemed to tune in well and look OK given the setup. I do recall that the remote is very basic for the TV side, like only controlling TV power and audio; it also had a cheap look to it.

Here's another website you may want to look at if you're not familiar with it:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...d-notes.htm#30

Don't take everything there as gospel as some folks here say there were some problems with their analyses, but it's a good general overview. The forums here are better once you're ready to 'zoom in' on specific models.

Try looking at the audio menu in that Access box. My Zinwells have a feature selection for RF and Line Modes; RF is louder and I suspect mono while I suspect Line is stereo (they fail to explain why other than to use RF for coax and Line for composite although both modes output sound through both connections in either mode setting).

I personally like using a fancier (vs basic) u-remote because they have so many functions I can control like menu, guide (EPG), VCR, DVD, etc. There's still a few unique functions I infrequently have to grab the device remotes for like TV PIP, converter aspect ratio, etc. (maybe the high-end u-remotes have these functions?). And like Ramm stated you can control the TV volume independent of the converter; my Philips has a punch-through feature where I can set certain functions of one mode to work in other modes like that. I suspect most of today's u-remotes will control converters. You can tell them to open the package so you can read the code list (some have a list on the package but say '...and many more - see code list inside') or return it if it doesn't work . Maybe you should buy just one and give it a try first.

BTW, do you do any timer recording? If so you might return a few of those Access boxes and buy some Zinwells. I use a ChannelMaster for my main TV (s-video picture quality) and Zinwells for my VCRs and other rooms (although I just added an Artec to my bedroom TV/VCR setup because it has a nice EPG).

post #14 of 18 Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a 1080U with universal remote, but only has one AUX-which i use for my VCR. The RF is in stereo (Dolby digital downmix to stereo if something's in 5.1), as well as the RCA's, of course. It's a good box, apart from having to press TV to change the volume if you just looked at the EPG to see what was next. God, that's annoying.

There's a lot of codes for this remote, surprisingly. I just wish it had one more AUX so I can control my audio reciever with it.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #15 of 18 Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Well here is where I'm at on this project at the end of the day today.

I went to rite aid and purchased the $10 ($8 w/ discount) philips 3 device remote, model #SRP2003/27. I think this is the same one that Floydage has although the model number is slightly different.

It has an access code listed for AccessHD. I've tried it on one of the four tv's (Philips tv) so far. It took me a bit but I believe I have it programmed to control the Access box (under CBL) and the tv. It looks like the volume is punching through to the tv volume which works much better than the useless volume on the AccessHD CECB. The volume is real slow to respond but it does respond and actually change the volume relative to the bars changing.

I sent a text to my son who is working at Rite Aid tonight to pick up 3 more of these remotes and I will see if I can get them working on the other three tv's using the Access CECB's. The other three tv's are Sharp, Toshiba, and Panasonic, all of which the philips universal remote manual has codes listed for.

I shall report back tomorrow on how that goes.

Floydage,
I don't think we will have a need to record any programs. Thanks very much for your help.
post #16 of 18 Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I went to rite aid and purchased the $10 ($8 w/ discount) philips 3 device remote, model #SRP2003/27. I think this is the same one that Floydage has although the model number is slightly different.

It has an access code listed for AccessHD. I've tried it on one of the four tv's (Philips tv) so far. It took me a bit but I believe I have it programmed to control the Access box (under CBL) and the tv. It looks like the volume is punching through to the tv volume which works much better than the useless volume on the AccessHD CECB. The volume is real slow to respond but it does respond and actually change the volume relative to the bars changing.

Thanks very much for your help.
Looks like the next model up from mine or maybe newer although I just bought mine during the holiday sales. Amazon claims it has bigger buttons yet it looks the same to me. I noticed it no longer has the setup button at the top and they state it has easier setup, does twice as many models, and somehow has and knows most of the models without you having to set it up yourself (or so they claim). Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll let you program those ABCD buttons with your favorite channels (for mystery cable or sat functions on mine); I had a VCR remote with those buttons for favorite channels, I miss that feature. I'll trade ya! You got the 20% discount based on the Amazon price too.

I'm surprised it would punch through the TV volume while in CBL mode without you having first programmed it to do so. See if the volume bar display looks the same in CBL mode as it does after you push the TV button.

You're welcome!

post #17 of 18 Old 02-19-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

I got the remotes programmed for the four tv's and converter boxes, they seem to be working ok. For some reason I could not get the Panasonic tv to work with the punch through for the volume like the other three tv's. Just means a person will need to switch to 'tv' on the remote to adjust the volume.

Biggest adjustment is dealing with the tremendous lag-time of the converter boxes. Very slow to respond, but they do work.

Thanks again for the help.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

My remote's punch-through programming procedure was a little tricky per the manual, one missed button push or take too long and...

Some of my boxes (certain models) are slow to change channels. At first I though it was due to slow tuners but after playing with them I think it's due to delays they put in to give folks time to punch in all the numbers and dots/dashes. They're a lot faster if I hit ENTER/OK after the digits, use the up/down button, or use the previous channel button. Some boxes have favorites or channel edit functions that allow quick selection from lists and also may have preview screens.

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page