Canadian Converter Boxes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Where the Canadian transition date just a month or so away, has anyone tried to purchase one of the Canadian converter boxes and tried them? One would guess that these would be somewhat better than the 2008 models we had here in the US. I also suspect you might not be able to order one directly without a Canadian address.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
What "Canadian" converter boxes?

The Canadian government isn't subsidizing their conversion the way our nitwit government did. The same converter boxes are for sale north of the border as are for sale south of the border. It's just that the consumers "up north" have to buy them on their own without government funds.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The only converter boxes I know of are the ones we have in the US. I checked at Digital Home.ca, where they are lamenting about the age of the boxes, lack of availability, etc.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 16 Old 07-02-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 35
I had been reading a Canadian DTV board and one of the posters was talking about an RCA converter box he just bought locally and I know I haven't seen a converter box of any flavor since late 2009 here in the US.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-02-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

I had been reading a Canadian DTV board and one of the posters was talking about an RCA converter box he just bought locally and I know I haven't seen a converter box of any flavor since late 2009 here in the US.

A variety of the older CECB's still show up at places like Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc. A quick search for 'CECB' at Amazon pulled up units from Philco, Samsonic, Insignia.

They are still out there. Unfortunatly for Canada, no one seems to have thought the market would support any new investment.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #6 of 16 Old 07-02-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
CVS still has old converter boxes on its shelves for neary $70 a pop, for those who are desperate. You can find any model CECB you want on eBay for $20 to $40 or so.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-02-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I checked and see that Amazon still has the Zinwells in stock; probably the best new box still available for $40 AND free shipping. Also stumbled across this unusual 'Zinwell' (?) site in my search:

http://zinwellzat970a.com/

Sounds like they're still making these boxes or they built up a huge stockpile. I'll post this over yonder Zinwell MB as well.

post #8 of 16 Old 07-03-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It's amazing how different the situation is wrt to OTA converter boxes this side of the pond :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...x=freeview+box

Just a quick search on "Freeview box" on amazon.co.uk lists loads. These are mainly SD receivers though, so don't have to downconvert HD signals.

They're not quite the same as the US boxes, as most don't include RF modulators, as sets without AV inputs are incredibly rare in Europe where SCART has been knocking around since the early 80s.

In fact the smaller receivers are basically boxes with SCART plugs integrated into them that plug into the back of your TV (though SCART is a lousy connector mechanically and I bet they fall out). Some include basic recording/replay to/from USB external storage these days.

Freeview HD boxes, which will receive the HD channels in HD and output via HDMI (and usually also output an SD SCART or RCA composite output) are dropping in price as well They're going for sub £40 in supermarkets, with a Grundig model for £38 on amazon.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-03-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

They're going for sub £40 in supermarkets, with a Grundig model for £38 on amazon.

We probably can't afford those over here as the dollar's been beat to a pulp.

post #10 of 16 Old 07-03-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

We probably can't afford those over here as the dollar's been beat to a pulp.

I think we benefit from DVB-T (which we use for SD in the UK) being a pan-European (and Australia and NZ) standard so there is a very large market for these boxes (though there are some small local differences)

The DVB-T2 HD boxes are more interesting - as so far only the UK, Sweden, Italy and Finland have T2 services on-air, but box prices have tumbled.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Location: Toronto, ON, CAN (7 million that don't count in Buffalo, NY DMA)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

The Canadian government isn't subsidizing their conversion the way our nitwit government did. The same converter boxes are for sale north of the border as are for sale south of the border. It's just that the consumers "up north" have to buy them on their own without government funds.

Note that most Canadian OTAers don't live far from the US border and watch US stations so many already have their converter boxes. Many who might have needed one have moved on to an HDTV.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

That would be because when we did our transition not many people had TVs with built in tuners in them because the FCC didn't mandate all TV to have them until just a mere 27 months before the transition took place. Canadians have had the benefit of an extra 26 months. If Canadian adoption of HDTVs is the same as the US then over 70% should have HDTVs, which means thoise 70% also have ATSC tuners in them. Even the 30% with old fashioned SDTVs at least half of those if not more should have ATSC tuners in them. So a very small % of Candians should be affected. I'm not sure what the % of Canadians that get TV via OTA is.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

You can find any model CECB you want on eBay for $20 to $40 or so.

The prices may climb higher once the Canadians realize they need them, driving up the competition.

I have 2 new CECBs that I was planning on placing on eBay. I may hold off another month and see what happens.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #14 of 16 Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

The only converter boxes I know of are the ones we have in the US. I checked at Digital Home.ca, where they are lamenting about the age of the boxes, lack of availability, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=127559&page=6 is the place to check
post #15 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the canadian government has ever required new tv sets to have built in digital tuners. I think it is still legal to sell a new tv in Canada that only has an NTSC tuner. Can anybody confirm if there are any analog only tube sets or "HD Ready" sets in major stores in Canada? What about Mexico?

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #16 of 16 Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

According to Wikipedia's CECB page, a tuner box could incorporate "support" for the Canadian television ratings system without rendering itself ineligible for the FCC's Coupon program

Optional features

Manufacturers could self-certify compliance with these requirements, but had to provide test results and two units to the NTIA for ad hoc testing. The FCC could also test converter boxes at the NTIA's request. Among the optional features permitted, but not required, were the following:...

Support for the Canadian television ratings system, allowing the manufacturer to sell the same device in Canada.

Does anyone know of any models of CECB that do, in fact "support" the Canadian television ratings system?
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page