Channel Master D2A CM-7000 signal loss - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-21-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had a CM-7000 for a few years but I haven't used it much since I had cable hooked up to the TV where I had it set up. (My other TV has a DigitalStream which works great.)

So, due to problems with the Comcast digital cable transition in my area, I'm currently unable to get most of the channels that I should, and I decided to give the CM a try to watch the NLCS on KTVU.

Seemed to work great at first, but after a few minutes, the picture started to pixellate and the sound would drop out. Eventually, it completely lost the signal. I tried rescanning and this time it didn't find KTVU at all, but it did pick up at least some of my other local stations. I turned off the CM and switched to my other TV.

A while later, I turned the CM back on and did an update scan. It picked up a bunch of stations including KTVU, so I started watching again. This time I left the info box up so I could keep an eye on the signal strength. It started around 60, but as it fluctuated it generally trended downward until it hit the 30s and finally lost the signal completely again.

Any idea what's going on? I know the CM-7000 has a problem with failing capacitors--could that be causing these symptoms?

BTW, the Setup Menu > Version shows

System: katana2
S/W Version: b7707_lpm
:52.4DC001
Built: 20080129
Z_Corelib: 0.4.0.3305
Z_ATSClib: 2.1.1.3444
Z_DTVCClib: 6.2.0.3327

If this is a software bug, is there a way I can upgrade the software?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would first try substituting it in the DigitalStream setup to rule out the CM setup's antenna&cable as the culprit; apples to apples reference comparison.

Then try a factory reset and start over.

Then try a hard reset by pulling the power plug while the box is powered up (not in standby). This one sounds weird but I've had mine get a little weird with a poor picture (interline twitter gets real bad) infrequently and doing this cured this problem (toggling channels and simple on/off cycling did not work).

Other than that I suppose it could be the capacitor issue but fortunately I have not experienced that problem. Check the CM thread, if I recall correctly that was the subject of several of the last posts over yonder.

post #3 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I agree with what Floydage said, first try your DS box in place of the CM, if the DS works OK then I'd agree it might be a capacitor issue. As things warm up the caps could go more out of spec. I also have several CMs and like Floydage mine are still working fine but others have not been so lucky.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you both for your suggestions. I've been busy and now the cable is back, so I'm not in a rush, but I'll let you know what turns up.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page