New channel locks up Digitalstream controls - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Today we updated the channels on our two Digitalstream DTX9950 converter boxes which picked up a few new channels. One of these channels is causing a problem with the converters.

When we switch to newly-found channel 2 (KJWP in Delaware carrying the ME-TV network) the controls on the box become extremely sluggish or lock up completely. Response to the remote control or the buttons on the box itself take from about 30 seconds to a couple of minutes to occur, if the response happens at all. This makes it almost impossible to switch channels, bring up the program guide or menus, etc. Despite this problem the picture and sound remain normal.

This also happens on the other KJWP subchannels although those currently only display test patterns. If you can manage to get the box to switch to another channel, normal operation resumes and all controls work properly until channel 2 is selected again. (If the channel cannot be switched, the only way to regain control is to power-cycle the box.)

This seems similar to what happens on a PC if the CPU is being hammered at 100% utilization. What would cause this? Anyone else see this kind of problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-17-2014, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Another data point, I've tried KJWP-2 on another box I had available (a Zenith), and the problem does not occur there. So it would seem that there is something in that channel's signal that is giving the Digitalstream's firmware fits. It's a really strange problem, never seen anything like it. I would contact the station to see if they have any ideas but have not been able to find any contact info beyond a reference to them having a temporary office in NJ. From what I have read the station moved to the East Coast from Wyoming via a loophole in FCC regulations, a strange kind of deal. (It appears that the station does not yet have its own web site or email contact.)
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Curiously, back in 2008 I had a problem with MeTV on a Zenith box but *not* on my Digital Stream DTX9950, just the opposite of Gortmeister's situation, and it didn't affect other subchannels of the same channel.  It came from a long unbroken string in the PSIP synopsis of a program caused by hyphenating seven or eight successive words together without spaces.  Displaying the EPG description for that program -- and it was a generic one that MeTV used for most episodes of it -- made the DT901 (I think that's the model number) shut off.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-18-2014, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Suddenly today the problem stopped of its own accord, all controls now work normally when Channel 2 is selected. I have to figure there was probably something in the extended program guide or other digital information that made the Digitalstream firmware throw a hissy fit. Weird. Will keep an eye on it...
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page