• 1 Post By jjeff

post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2014, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Converter box for motorhome

What "good" converter boxes are still on the market new? I want to hook it up in the motorhome because the televisions in there predate HDTV broadcasts.

Is the Zenith DTT901 still considered one of the better ones? Are there any others I should consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Check out this page of this thread, especially around post #170 as well as around #162 they discuss an iView box:

Post DTV Transition CECB converter boxes availability!

Motorhome - if you had a satellite setup at one time and still have the receiver some of those can also tune in the DTV/antenna channels; I use a Hughes/DirecTV HD tuner that I got barely used for $20 for that (no subscription although I was also able to hook up a basic dish to get the free TV guide).
ChuckZ likes this.

post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2014, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Check out this page of this thread, especially around post #170 as well as around #162 they discuss an iView box:

Post DTV Transition CECB converter boxes availability!

Motorhome - if you had a satellite setup at one time and still have the receiver some of those can also tune in the DTV/antenna channels; I use a Hughes/DirecTV HD tuner that I got barely used for $20 for that (no subscription although I was also able to hook up a basic dish to get the free TV guide).
I actually have DTV at the moment in my home. Do you have a guide on how to set it up in a motorhome? Can I borrow one of my STBs from a television and take it with me. What do I do about a satellite dish?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Is your motorhome TV HD? If so you might want to check out the iView 3500 tuner/DVR which not only has composite but HD component as well as HDMI outputs.
Yes the Zenith while quite old is still considered among the top CECBs made, albeit SD.
ChuckZ likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-06-2014, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Is your motorhome TV HD? If so you might want to check out the iView 3500 tuner/DVR which not only has composite but HD component as well as HDMI outputs.
Yes the Zenith while quite old is still considered among the top CECBs made, albeit SD.
Unfortunately they are not HD. I couldn't fit one even if I wanted to because of the wooden cabinetry.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-06-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ View Post
I actually have DTV at the moment in my home. Do you have a guide on how to set it up in a motorhome? Can I borrow one of my STBs from a television and take it with me. What do I do about a satellite dish?
No, I'm not an RV guy but I suspect there's plenty of info out there on the web. Yes you can use what you have (I'm assuming you have AC power). I suspect your RV already has an antenna - needs to be able to pick up mostly UHF stations as very few DTV stations are VHF (and usually upper VHF such that a good UHF antenna can often pick them up). For satellite I've seen dishes on portable stands (although I've seen RVs with mounted adjustable rigs, maybe even motorized or at least easier to adjust). Keep in mind this stuff isn't for use while driving (the old analog was much more capable of it).

My old conversion van has a roof-rack antenna that has worked well for me. Oddly enough the van does have some sort RV association emblem on it . As for satellite that's more painful since the dish has to be accurately pointed at the satellite(s) wherever you park [but I think is typically the choice for RV enthusiasts since they can pick up sat signals pretty much anywhere unlike DTV].

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page