Digital Tuner(QAM?) STB for Seiki SE32HY27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rabbit73

post #1 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Digital Tuner(QAM?) STB for Seiki SE32HY27

I have an inexpensive Seiki SE32HY27 flat screen in the garage that only receives the analog channels(43 of them). From what I gather this TV has a ATSC/NTSC tuner but not QAM tuner. At least from a bit of reading this appears to be the issue in not receiving the digital channels the other TVs receive in the house.

Are there any reliable and inexpensive options for a QAM tuner type settop box? Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

I do not seem to be able to edit my post, so my apologies.

It would also be nice to have said settop box to also replace the Arris one we are currently monthly. DVR/PVR is not necessary but does not hurt. My main concern is losing the channel guide with that.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 90
cable signals?

Arris DCX-3200?

What you want to do might not be possible, because the box must be compatible with and approved by the cable provider.

In addition, some cable providers now scramble all QAM signals, and have discontinued clear QAM.

Are your other TVs able to receive clear QAM channels without a set top box? If yes, then a set top box for QAM would work for your Seiki.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 06-23-2016 at 10:05 AM.
post #4 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Are other TV's able to pick up cable TV without the use of Cable Box or DVR box?

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
As rabbit73 points out, assuming your cable company still has unencrypted QAM signals, you'd only get local channels, C-Span and maybe a few others. Again, it depends on the cable system. You can tell us where you are and what your cable system is or you can find your local thread and ask, there.

The Converter Box forum has a number of ATSC/QAM set top boxes that would fit your needs.

If all of your cable channels are encrypted, then you'd need a CableCARD device such as the Samsung box. Note from the thread that the guide isn't working at the moment. It seems to come and go.

In our Recorders Forum, you'll find information on TiVo cableCARD devices.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

This might work for you:

New Seiki LED TV can't find channels
DrDon likes this.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #7 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific. All other TVs receive digital/HD channels fine without the use of a settop/DVR box. I basically only rent the Arris DCX3200 so I can bring up a Channel Guide without having to watch it scroll on 'TV Guide Channel' on our main TV.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

The cable company is local startup. I switched to them after Suddenlink had their fallout with Viacom. I doubt anyone here has heard of them but could be wrong! They www.cascable.com. I cannot post links as I have not met criteria but I am no spammer.

Last edited by DrDon; 06-23-2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added link, which I'm always happy to do for newbies. Just ask.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.cascable.com/

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...STB)&c=Digital Converter Boxes&sku=880010007707

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 06-23-2016 at 01:05 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

That is one of the ones I have looked at. I see it is available through amazon prime for $32. It has some questionable reviews but there is not many options out there it seems? I can afford to try one out. If it works well enough I would be willing to drop my Arris DCX3200 rental.
post #11 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Thread title edited to make more specific. Will move thread to STB section eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas0586 View Post
I cannot post links as I have not met criteria but I am no spammer.
You can always PM me do to that for you until you reach the magic post count. Happy to do it.

post #12 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is one of the ones I have looked at. I see it is available through amazon prime for $32. It has some questionable reviews but there is not many options out there it seems? I can afford to try one out. If it works well enough I would be willing to drop my Arris DCX3200 rental.

It will only work if your provider authorizes it.

Most cable boxes have a CableCARD in them, including this particular one. With your set up, you may be better off getting a CableCARD tuner, and associated hardware and set up your own home distribution of Cable TV over the existing computer network.

It may be slightly more expensive to get it all running, but then you get rid of the recurring charges, other than minimal to none CableCARD rental charge. Find out from them what they charge for a CableCARD, which is also known as M-Card or TiVO card....

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #13 of 21 Old 06-26-2016, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
It will only work if your provider authorizes it.

Most cable boxes have a CableCARD in them, including this particular one. With your set up, you may be better off getting a CableCARD tuner, and associated hardware and set up your own home distribution of Cable TV over the existing computer network.

It may be slightly more expensive to get it all running, but then you get rid of the recurring charges, other than minimal to none CableCARD rental charge. Find out from them what they charge for a CableCARD, which is also known as M-Card or TiVO card....
I don't understand. Previous posters have stated since I can receive all channels on my other televisions without a settop box that the 3500STBII would work fine. The sole purpose of having the arris settop in the main TV is for programming guide because I am too lazy to watch the 'channel guide' scroll.

Anyways, I received the the box today. Yes on a Sunday from USPS through Amazon prime. So far no dice. I cannot get it to pick up any channels at all. So, what is going on here?

I have the cable going into the ANT IN coax port and HDMI cable out to TV. In channel search my settings are:

Antenna Power: ON
Signal Type: Cable
Modulation: CH_OFF

I see in another thread a firmware update may help the tuner. Not sure that wil help as it currently picks up zero channels. Also all the display says is 'boot' at all times. I suppose this is because no channels are found.

EDIT: Upgraded the firmware and still no dice.

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited by cas0586; 06-26-2016 at 08:49 AM.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-26-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't understand. Previous posters have stated since I can receive all channels on my other televisions without a settop box that the 3500STBII would work fine. The sole purpose of having the arris settop in the main TV is for programming guide because I am too lazy to watch the 'channel guide' scroll.

Anyways, I received the the box today. Yes on a Sunday from USPS through Amazon prime. So far no dice. I cannot get it to pick up any channels at all. So, what is going on here?

I have the cable going into the ANT IN coax port and HDMI cable out to TV. In channel search my settings are:

Antenna Power: ON
Signal Type: Cable
Modulation: CH_OFF

I see in another thread a firmware update may help the tuner. Not sure that wil help as it currently picks up zero channels. Also all the display says is 'boot' at all times. I suppose this is because no channels are found.

EDIT: Upgraded the firmware and still no dice.

Thanks for any insight!
Unlike TV's which, when utilizing clearQAM scan for channels, CableBoxes rely on the CableCARD for authentication, which also provides the box with a channel map.

Like I stated earlier, you will need to make sure it has a CableCARD from the provider in it. Once, the CableCARD is paired, then you will be able to receive all of the channels your account is entitled to.

However, here is the big "but". When you rent a CableCARD, you are paying for 6 simultaneous streams, but a CableBOX can only tune 1 stream at once. So, you pay for $6 but only able to view 1.

That is why I suggested going the CableCARD tuner way. We rent a single CableCARD from Verizon for $5/month and can view/record 6 channels at once, plus we have another 6 tuners getting feed from the antenna, for a grand total of 12 feeds at once for the 6 TV's we have on the home network.

post #15 of 21 Old 06-26-2016, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
Unlike TV's which, when utilizing clearQAM scan for channels, CableBoxes rely on the CableCARD for authentication, which also provides the box with a channel map.

Like I stated earlier, you will need to make sure it has a CableCARD from the provider in it. Once, the CableCARD is paired, then you will be able to receive all of the channels your account is entitled to.

However, here is the big "but". When you rent a CableCARD, you are paying for 6 simultaneous streams, but a CableBOX can only tune 1 stream at once. So, you pay for $6 but only able to view 1.

That is why I suggested going the CableCARD tuner way. We rent a single CableCARD from Verizon for $5/month and can view/record 6 channels at once, plus we have another 6 tuners getting feed from the antenna, for a grand total of 12 feeds at once for the 6 TV's we have on the home network.
Alright. So the previous advice given here was a bit misleading that the 3500STBII would work for my application or I had misunderstood. This 3500STBII does not utilize a cable card from what I can tell. That being said it will be no hassle to return it to Amazon.

I did find this tidbit of information on my providers website:

Quote:
Compatibility of Set-Top Receivers or Converters – Many newer television sets and VCRs are labeled Cable-ready. According to government rules, after July 1997, TVs and VCRs sold in the U.S. cannot be called Cable-ready unless they comply with new requirements, including the ability to properly tune channels. Some TVs and VCRs, however, cannot tune all channels without some interference. If this is the case with your equipment, you may need to purchase or rent an electronic channel selection device (called a “receiver” or “converter”), or Digital Adapter. If you use a converter, you can only tune to one channel at a time and certain features on your TV and VCR that depend on channel tuning of these devices may not be available with this configuration. For instance, taping one program while watching another, recording two or more consecutive programs that appear on different channels, and the use of advanced picture generation and display features such as picture-in-picture, channel review and other functions that necessitate channel selection by the consumer device may not be possible without additional equipment. If you are not sure whether your television or VCR is Cableready, you should review the equipment manual and instructions, or contact the manufacturer. If your equipment is not fully Cable ready, you can still receive all standard cable channels offering non-scrambled or non-encrypted programming by renting or purchasing a simple set-top converter without descrambling or decryption capabilities. For a monthly fee, we rent settop converters to our customers that will be compatible with the services you purchase from us. You may also purchase set-top converters at electronic stores or other retail outlets in your area. CAS uses state-of-the-art encryption methods to ensure the security of our system. Certain cable converters that have descramblers (so called “pirate boxes” or “black boxes”) are illegal to sell, purchase or use on the cable system. People who use illegal converters/descramblers may be subject to prosecution for theft of cable service. It is unlawful to alter or tamper with any device belonging to a cable operator in order to receive, intercept, or assist in receiving or intercepting any communications service offered over a cable system. People who take such actions may be subject to fines or imprisonment. To the extent our encryption methods affect your reception of signals, we can supply to you special equipment that will enable the simultaneous reception of multiple signals. This equipment could include for example, a Digital Receiver (multiple set-top devices may be required), and signal bypass switches, which will allow simultaneous reception of any two encrypted signals and provide for tuning to alternative channels on a pre-programmed schedule. We will consult with you to determine your specific equipment needs. Upon request, we will attempt to provide you with the types of special equipment needed to resolve your compatibility problem. Please call us if you would like to discuss the type of special equipment needed to resolve individual compatibility problems or if you have any questions regarding other equipment compatibility issues. Charges will apply for purchase or lease of special equipment.

CableCARDS – Certain new TVs/display devices (sometimes referred to as DCR or UDCP devices) are sold with a port for a CableCARD, which can substitute for a set-top channel converter. The current generation of these TVs/display devices cannot interact with the cards to allow you to use any interactive or two-way services that we offer, such as pay-per-view and the CAS interactive programming guide. For more information, please contact us.
Anyways, are there any 'budget' options here? I mean after all this was originally meant for the garage. I just have their 'essential package' basic cable and internet. No movie, sports packages, on-demand, etc. It may just as economical to buy a cheap TV with a proper tuner? I mean I see some Arris DCX-3200 on eBAy but my concern is whether or not they stolen/not returned items and will not be able to be activated.

Last edited by cas0586; 06-26-2016 at 02:46 PM.
post #16 of 21 Old 06-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Anything your newer televisions will tune without a cable box (directly connected to the cable with no other device in-between) this should also tune. It appears your cable company's "digital basic" tier is unencrypted. The 3500STBII should tune those, but anything beyond that will require a CableCARD device.

post #17 of 21 Old 06-26-2016, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Anything your newer televisions will tune without a cable box (directly connected to the cable with no other device in-between) this should also tune. It appears your cable company's "digital basic" tier is unencrypted. The 3500STBII should tune those, but anything beyond that will require a CableCARD device.
Precisely what we discussed then. I do not see why it is not working properly and why is blueiedgod saying I need a cablecard tuner? I looked through the dedicated 3500STB thread and found no insight really.

Last edited by cas0586; 06-26-2016 at 03:45 PM.
post #18 of 21 Old 06-26-2016, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Haha seems to be working OK now. I discovered the copper conductor was not making good contact in the antenna connection. May take some getting used to but it is what it is. EPG not working which is a bummer. I guess it won't take place of the settop but good enough for the garage.
post #19 of 21 Old 06-27-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the report. Glad you got it to work for QAM channels.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #20 of 21 Old 06-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Get a guide app for your phone. I probably use the TVGuide app on my phone every bit as often as the DirecTV guide.

post #21 of 21 Old 07-05-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Haha seems to be working OK now. I discovered the copper conductor was not making good contact in the antenna connection. May take some getting used to but it is what it is. EPG not working which is a bummer. I guess it won't take place of the settop but good enough for the garage.
Glad you got it working. The iView has always been a bit chancy where QAM is involved.

The iView's EPG depends on PSIP, which most cable systems don't use. (I suspect MStar, who created the chips and firmware used in the iView, never signed the magic NDAs that would let them access cable EPGs.) That's probably why the EPG isn't working for you.

Some systems, such as Verizon's FiOS, do include PSIP data for the OTA stations they rebroadcast, so the iView's EPG will work on those stations when used with those systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page