Channel Master CM-7003 (post-transition converter box) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 74 Old 12-14-2016, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiwaukeeOTA View Post
Hi and Good Morning,
Here's some firmware info for you.

Attachment 1828889

Attachment 1828905

I see the confusion now. Some CM7003 screens have a blue cast, some grey. Some HW-150 screens have a blue cast, some gray

My apologies!

CM 7003:

Attachment 1828897

HW-150:

Attachment 1828921

Lots more channel info on HW-150.

Once again, sorry about the confusion on my part.

Did I mention that the two remotes have no control over the opposite STBs?

Some times I pick up the wrong remote and wonder why my remote isn't working, oops!

The aim is critical though, you virtually have to be right in front of either box to get results.
BTW, how do you guys get the screenshots to show up in full size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 12-14-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
There are a few ways.

1. Upload the image to an image hosting service (one free host is tinypic.com), then use the URL it provides with the Insert Image tool. Of course, if the hosting service deletes the image, it will no longer be available for AVS Forum to show.

2. Upload the image as an attachment to the post. Then scroll down to where the attachment is listed above the "Manage Attachments" button, right-click on the attachment and click "Copy Link Location" (or whatever your web browser calls it). Use that URL with the Insert Image tool. This is probably the easiest method. Here's an example (note the image also shows as an attachment):

3. Use the BB Code "Attach". First upload the image as an attachment, then get the ID from the attachment and use the ID with the BB Code in the desired location within the post. For example, the 2nd attachment to this post (which you won't see) has a URL of http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1829089&stc=1&d=148172 8050, and within the URL is "attachmentid=1829089". Take the numeric portion and use it with the AttachmentID BB code. For example [attach]1829073[/attach], and that image appears within the post as shown below, with the attachment image hidden. Unfortunately, it appears at the attachment size, not full size. However, if clicked, or Ctrl-Clicked, the image shows full size.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DVR+ Signal Lost Message.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1829089

4. Another method, which I've been thinking about using, is to start a thread in the Post Testing Area, upload images to a post in that thread whenever needed, acquire the full size URL, and use that URL with the Insert Image tool. This method is much like method 1, but with the advantage that the image is stored with AVS Forum, and you don't have to worry about an image host deleting the image (unless AVS Forum ever deletes your testing post).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DVR+ Info before Airing - R ~ TV-14.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1829065  

Last edited by pachinko; 12-14-2016 at 07:58 AM.
post #33 of 74 Old 12-14-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
I see the confusion now. Some CM7003 screens have a blue cast, some grey. Some HW-150 screens have a blue cast, some gray.
If I leave the white balance on my camera set to AUTO, my images are too blue. I set the white balance to CLOUDY (overcast) and gray comes out gray instead of blue.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

post #34 of 74 Old 12-14-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The method I use is similar to method 2 by pachinko.

After adding the attachment, I click on the link above MANAGE ATTACHMENTS to open it in a new tab. If it looks OK in the new tab, I copy and paste the attachment URL from the address box at the top of the browser, add the BB code for image, and insert that in the text box where I want the image to show.

For this forum, the BB codes are lower case, with the exception of quotes of another post headed by its poster, and URLs of images from an image host.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AVSattachmentURLandBBcode.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1829465  

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 12-14-2016 at 11:34 AM.
post #35 of 74 Old 12-14-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
For this forum, the BB codes are lower case, with the exception of quotes of another post headed by its poster, and URLs of images from an image host.
In all of my tests, the case of the BB codes does not matter, at least not for AVS Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
3. Use the BB Code "Attach". First upload the image as an attachment, then get the ID from the attachment and use the ID with the BB Code in the desired location within the post. For example, the 2nd attachment to this post (which you won't see) has a URL of http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1829089&stc=1&d=148172 8050, and within the URL is "attachmentid=1829089". Take the numeric portion and use it with the AttachmentID BB code. For example [attach]1829073[/attach], and that image appears within the post as shown below, with the attachment image hidden. Unfortunately, it appears at the attachment size, not full size. However, if clicked, or Ctrl-Clicked, the image shows full size.
I just noticed that another way to get the attachmentid, for the [attach] BB code, is to right click on the thumbnail wherever it appears (the Drag and Drop File Upload area, or as the attachment at the bottom of the post). For example, hover over this attachment, and the attachmentid is revealed by the browser as 1829585. Right-Click to copy the URL as shown in the following image.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DragAndDropRightClickCopyImageLocation.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	1829585  
post #36 of 74 Old 12-14-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In all of my tests, the case of the BB codes does not matter, at least not for AVS Forum!
My img will not show in the post if I use upper case. The forum FAQs say use lower case, which gave me a clue why they were not showing.

Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:
Right-Click to copy the URL as shown in the following image.
My browser (IE 11) will not do that, but it will show properties.

I'm happy with the way it works for me.

ChiwaukeeOTA is the one who is having the problem.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 12-14-2016 at 03:05 PM.
post #37 of 74 Old 12-14-2016, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My img will not show in the post if I use upper case. The forum FAQs say use lower case, which gave me a clue why they were not showing.

Frequently Asked Questions

My browser (IE 11) will not do that, but it will show properties.
Hmm... I searched the FAQ page for "case" and found no mention of which case to use. It shows the BB codes in lowercase (and so does the forum's BB code page), but doesn't say they must be lowercase. That aside, when the Insert Image tool is used, the code it produces is in uppercase. You can see the code it uses by clicking the "Switch Editor Mode" icon in the upper right corner of the editor window. If uppercase BB codes work for Insert Image, they must also work for you using BB codes. My guess is you forgot the forward slash in the closing tag, which definitely prevents the image from appearing.

Here's the code produced by the Insert Image tool (uppercase), and the image it produces.
[IMG]http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1830265&d=1481761890[/IMG]

Here's the same BB coding in lowercase, and the image it produces.
[img]http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1830265&d=1481761890[/img]

I recommend creating a thread in the Post Testing Area and run some test.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DVR+ Info before Airing - NR ~ TV-PG.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1830265  
post #38 of 74 Old 12-14-2016, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Hi and Good Morning,
Here's some firmware info for you.

Attachment 1828889

Attachment 1828905
Thanks. I do have a copy of HW-150PVR V5.0 firmware. It wouldn't work on my older HW-150PVR (had to revert to V2.1), but it DID work on an iView 3200! (I switched the 3200 back to iView firmware when they finally put out a version with fewer bugs.)

BTW, Mediasonic has a V5.3 now. It fixes a few bugs in V5.0. You may want to email Mediasonic support at support(AT)mlglobal.net (replace (AT) with @) and ask them for an update. Send them a photo of the serial number tag on the back of your box to prove you have the right HW-150PVR for V5.3 (different serial number series require different firmware updates). More info at http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post47773393
Quote:
I see the confusion now. Some CM7003 screens have a blue cast, some grey. Some HW-150 screens have a blue cast, some gray

My apologies!

CM 7003:

Attachment 1828897

HW-150:

Attachment 1828921

Lots more channel info on HW-150.
It can take some time for the extended descriptions to show up on these boxes. But there have also been some firmware bugs in this area. (In fact, there's a bug in the HW-150PVR EPG in V5.0; sometimes a few shows will be garbled. In your screen shot, it looks like the HW-150PVR put two or three shows' descriptions together into one! That's one of the fixes in V5.3.)

Quote:
Did I mention that the two remotes have no control over the opposite STBs?

Some times I pick up the wrong remote and wonder why my remote isn't working, oops!
No, but it makes sense. The HW-150PVR, HW-180STB, and iView all use different, incompatible remotes, so I'm not surprised the CM-7003 remote is different as well.

That can be an advantage if you need two tuners in the same room. If you got two HW-150PVRs, you'd have a problem because they use the same remote. Trying to control one, you'd inadvertently control the other as well. Same with two CM-7003s, of course; but if instead you get one of each, you won't have that problem since they use different remotes.
Quote:
If I leave the white balance on my camera set to AUTO, my images are too blue. I set the white balance to CLOUDY (overcast) and gray comes out gray instead of blue.
I was starting to wonder if the photos might have distorted the colors a bit! (And screen reflections can sometimes resemble the transparency feature on the CM-7003, especially if the transparency is set to a low value.)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-14-2016 at 07:19 PM.
post #39 of 74 Old 12-14-2016, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the way I interpreted the 7003 manual is the bug.
Page 12
Programmed Time Recording
Option 1: Press GUIDE key on the remote.
Option 2: Press GUIDE key, then press the INFO key to go into the PVR Schedule.

With Option 1 you only need to press OK to Book.
With Option 2 you have to press 1 first.
Good: that's the way it's supposed to work:

• If you pull up the guide and press Info, you get the list of recordings you've scheduled so far
  • If, instead of pressing Info, you select a show and press OK, you should go directly to the Add Event dialog with all the info filled in from the selected show.
post #40 of 74 Old 12-15-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I bought a Sony RM-VLZ620 Learning Remote and taught it some of the basic buttons on the CM-7003 remote. The box is much more responsive to the Sony remote.

CM..........Sony

NA..........DVR
STB.........POWER
CH+........CH+
CH-.........CH-
GUIDE....GUIDE
INFO......INFO
BACK.....RETURN
EXIT......OPTIONS
MENU.....MENU
OK.........OK
Up..........Up
Down.....Down
Left........Left
Right......Right
NA.........INPUT (for TV)

Manual (pp 20-22)
https://docs.sony.com/release/RMVLZ620.pdf

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 12-15-2016 at 05:42 PM.
post #41 of 74 Old 12-18-2016, 08:33 PM

[quote=JHBrandt;48988105]
Quote:
Thanks. I do have a copy of HW-150PVR V5.0 firmware. It wouldn't work on my older HW-150PVR (had to revert to V2.1), but it DID work on an iView 3200! (I switched the 3200 back to iView firmware when they finally put out a version with fewer bugs.)

BTW, Mediasonic has a V5.3 now. It fixes a few bugs in V5.0. You may want to email Mediasonic support at support(AT)mlglobal.net (replace (AT) with @) and ask them for an update. Send them a photo of the serial number tag on the back of your box to prove you have the right HW-150PVR for V5.3 (different serial number series require different firmware updates). More info at http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post47773393
It can take some time for the extended descriptions to show up on these boxes. But there have also been some firmware bugs in this area. (In fact, there's a bug in the HW-150PVR EPG in V5.0; sometimes a few shows will be garbled. In your screen shot, it looks like the HW-150PVR put two or three shows' descriptions together into one! That's one of the fixes in V5.3.)
Yes, on many an occasion the show descriptions are repeated over and over on the same page.

Quote:
No, but it makes sense. The HW-150PVR, HW-180STB, and iView all use different, incompatible remotes, so I'm not surprised the CM-7003 remote is different as well.

That can be an advantage if you need two tuners in the same room. If you got two HW-150PVRs, you'd have a problem because they use the same remote. Trying to control one, you'd inadvertently control the other as well. Same with two CM-7003s, of course; but if instead you get one of each, you won't have that problem since they use different remotes.
I was starting to wonder if the photos might have distorted the colors a bit! (And screen reflections can sometimes resemble the transparency feature on the CM-7003, especially if the transparency is set to a low value.)
You are correct. When I found out I need a 2 tuner solution I knew I could not use the same brands due to remotes. However, I knew right away that Channel Master wasn't making the CM-7003 box, or... Homeworx was buying theirs from Channel Master, or they have a common supplier.

At any rate, I have both STBs in the same room. My Display has no tuner (70" Vizio).

BTW, I now have the "EDIT" button now. I must have the required # of posts now.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #42 of 74 Old 12-20-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Solid Signal has these for $35:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=cm-7003

Much more reasonable than the $49 price at CM's web site.
post #43 of 74 Old 12-20-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Solid Signal has these for $35:

Much more reasonable than the $49 price at CM's web site.
but CM currently has it on sale, either direct or as Amazon 3rd party seller for $29, with free shipping. Amazon itself sells for $30.
correction -- $30 fulfilled by Amazon -- and from Solid Signal.

Last edited by TalkingRat; 12-20-2016 at 09:06 AM.
post #44 of 74 Old 12-20-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've seen that with other products before. Sometimes it looks like SS will do a deal with Amazon where you can get stuff from them cheaper on Amazon's web site.

$30 is a pretty good deal, and the CM remote is better than the HomeWorX remote IMO.
post #45 of 74 Old 12-21-2016, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I've seen that with other products before. Sometimes it looks like SS will do a deal with Amazon where you can get stuff from them cheaper on Amazon's web site.

$30 is a pretty good deal, and the CM remote is better than the HomeWorX remote IMO.
I bought my CM 7003 direct from Solid Signal 29.99 shipping included.

I got my Homeworx from Amazon. Since I am not even recording shows, they do the job, but if I want, I can record also, nice!

post #46 of 74 Old 12-22-2016, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We got a new TV during black Friday but unfortunately, it does not have a built-in tuner, so I can't take advantage from the free QAM I get from my internet provider (I mostly watch OTA with the CM DVR+). To remedy that, I first tried a cheap generic'ish box from Walmart and was disappointed by its clunky interface, overall performance and most especially, the fact that the channel numbers are based on carrier frequency, etc., so it's hard to find the channels I already know by memory.

When I saw that this CM converter box recently when on sale for $29, I decided to get one hoping that it would be much better, based on my mostly positive experiences with the DVR+. However, I am again disappointed. The interface is better but the channels are messed again. At least, this time the numbers are in a format like this: AA-BBB PRxxxxx, where BBB is directly related to the channel numbers my cable provider states on its channel lineup.

What the hell is up with that? Any cheap TV with a built-in tuner will show the channels in the proper order but yet, these boxes, which only have one job to do, can't do that right. I wonder if these people actually plug these in and give them a little trial run at home to see if they would be happy with the product if they were the buyer.

Alright, enough rant.

Does anybody know how to get the channels to display in the order of the second set of digits or am I asking for too much from these lame devices?

Thanks in advance.

Manolo
post #47 of 74 Old 12-22-2016, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unfortunately, all the MStar boxes seem to share this problem. The firmware either uses the meaningless cable RF channel and subchannel numbers, or it uses PSIP and ends up missing most of the clear QAM channels entirely because cable channels usually don't use PSIP. (Apparently the CM-7003 firmware falls into the former category.)

If you just need a tuner and not a recorder, I've suggested (don't own one so I can't say "recommended") this box: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...yer-gx-sm530cf. No recording capability, but at least you won't have to rescan next time your cable company moves everything around on you. You can even add a CableCARD from your cable company to tune encrypted channels, but it will tune unencrypted channels without one.

Finally, if you want to take a chance on something else, you might try the iView 3100. Similar to the MStar boxes in capability and price, but based on a different chipset, it's still a bit of a mystery. I have no idea how well it works with QAM.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-22-2016 at 05:53 PM.
post #48 of 74 Old 12-23-2016, 12:26 PM

Thank you very much for the info and advice.

It is sad that so many years after the transition, they can't get something like this right but oh well. There are $exier products demanding their attention. Quite frankly, CM struck out on this one; wasted opportunity for someone trying to dominate a somewhat niche market on the upswing.

Manolo
post #49 of 74 Old 12-23-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The TV manufacturers aren't making it any easier for you when they leave out the tuner; those "TVs" are now called displays. We used to call them monitors.

More manufacturers are doing that now because they think they can get away with it to save costs since a lot of people use cable boxes and internet for TV viewing. You got misled and sucked in; they sold you a monitor, not a TV.

Another reason is because most cable companies are encrypting all channels so there are no more clear QAM channels. That's what Cox did for us here as you can see in my previous post #9 when I tested the CM box on cable.
Channel Master CM-7003 (post-transition converter box)

My two TVs didn't do any better than the CM7003 except for the two analog color bar channels.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 12-23-2016 at 01:12 PM.
post #50 of 74 Old 12-23-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManuel View Post
Thank you very much for the info and advice.

It is sad that so many years after the transition, they can't get something like this right but oh well. There are $exier products demanding their attention. Quite frankly, CM struck out on this one; wasted opportunity for someone trying to dominate a somewhat niche market on the upswing.
Unfortunately the clear QAM market is probably on the downswing since the FCC let cable cos. encrypt all channels if they want. The biggest, ComCast, has already encrypted all their systems nationwide and the second-biggest, Spectrum, is more slowly moving in that direction as well.

I haven't seen a decent standalone QAM tuner in quite some time other than that Samsung - and it's actually a CableCARD tuner that happens to work without one!

If you want a recorder the situation is worse: about your only choices besides MStar are TiVo, ePVision's PHD-VRX2, or picking up an old TViX M6620N or CM-7400 on eBay.

CM probably doesn't care about QAM; they just jumped on the MStar bandwagon since all these unknown brands like iView and HomeWorX were making a lot of money selling these cheap boxes. RCA did the same thing with the DTA880. They're not bad OTA tuners but the QAM support is so bad that HomeWorX, at least, doesn't even support it. If you're happy with its QAM function, great; if not, well, they never claimed it would work with QAM.
post #51 of 74 Old 12-23-2016, 03:18 PM

Well, they do claim they support clear QAM, right at the top of the product page. It does, in fact, work but perhaps I was expecting too much. I cut cable a year ago and that clear QAM signal still comes through the coaxial feed for my cable modem. I don't actually use it much, which is the reason why I cut cable in the first place, but it's nice to have for the one or two shows we watch that we can't get OTA or on Hulu.

verything else we record and watch through the DVR+. Despite a list of grievances that I've shared with ChannelMaster, I do like the service I get from the DVR+. It is certainly overpriced but I view it as paying up front for the guide service, which doesn't have a monthly fee. I could not be bothered with putting together an HTPC as I have enough "hobbies" as it is and need to hold on to my marriage.

I knew what I was getting into with the new "display" and I actually bought it for gaming so I did not care too much that it did not have a tuner. However, it is 5 inches larger than the family TV and it looks at least as good so I took one for the team and installed it in our living room and took the old plasma down to the basement for gaming :-). In a few years, when the whole OLED, HDR, wide color gamut business becomes affordable, then I'll do an actual upgrade.

Thanks to all for your responsiveness.

Manolo
post #52 of 74 Old 12-25-2016, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I totally understand. I use a DVR+ for OTA recordings myself, and agree its high price (relative to boxes like the CM-7003) represents, in part, a prepaid EPG subscription, much like a TiVo with lifetime. Otherwise, it would only cost maybe $100 or so.

It's not too surprising you still have some clear QAM TV signals on your cable. If cable systems don't encrypt, they actually have to send a truck out to put a filter on your line if you unsubscribe from TV service. For many, that's just too much trouble, so they just leave basic service connected, figuring most folks won't bother even checking to see if the cable company is giving them something for free.

Since you have the DVR+, you do have a low-cost "escape route" of Sling TV if the cable company does cut you off at some point.
post #53 of 74 Old 12-25-2016, 10:28 PM

Liked: 12
Thought I'd post my experience with the cm-7003 over here. I was commenting on the 3500STB thread. But it should probably be on this thread as well.

I had a 3500STB but the local cable company decided to re-arrange all the channels on their QAM line-up. The channels were out of consecutive channel number order. Plus I was missing channels on the 309mhz block.

I tried all the firmware versions, nothing worked so I heard about the CM-7003 and decided to try it.

It was working well for three days until last night it decided to continually re-boot when watching tv. The remote wasn't able to control it initially, but eventually I could power it down. Was too lazy to get up off the sofa. lol. I really also wanted to see how far would this problem go.

I was able to get into the USB menu to play some mp3's I have on a usb stick. That didn't cause the reboot, was stable there. The minute I went to the tv channels, it would reboot after about 2 minutes of being on. Since there isn't any other firmware from Channel Master for the 7003, I was kind of stuck. Sure I could try and install Homeworx, etc, but didn't know which would work properly.

I also noticed something odd. The 7003 only stopped rebooting once the channels that I rearranged (to be in consecutive order) were back to the original scanned order. My cable company moved stuff around and I just wanted to be able to go with the channels in an order I know from the channel list. Once the scanned order was back, it stopped rebooting.

Today I spent the time to re-arrange everything, and I'll see what happens. Very odd behavior. I had heard of the original 3500STBII's rebooting on their own but never saw any of that on the 3500STB I have. Only reason I changed was because of missing 2 channels since the cable company moved stuff around.

I am going to try and contact Channel Master and see if they'll give me the existing firmware, would be interesting to see if a re-flash stops this.

I've also ordered another 3500STBII to play with. The first had a very low composite video output level. Making the display very dim.

But had to post it here for everyone to know, and hey feel free to give any input, I keep thinking this is a firmware bug.
post #54 of 74 Old 12-26-2016, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's a very strange bug. Apparently caused by reordering the channels, but I'd never heard of such a bug with iView, HomeWorX, eMatic, etc. Then again, not that many folks reorder their channels, since those unwanted channel rescans seem to undo any reordering anyway. So maybe other boxes have that bug too but nobody has noticed yet!

Yes, definitely try to get a copy of the CM-7003 firmware from Channel Master. That way you could try iView 7802 firmware (since you already have an iView remote) on the CM-7003, and if it didn't work, you could put the original firmware back on.

That was a big problem with eMatics: no one could get the original eMatic firmware, so experimentation was risky: if you tried other firmware that didn't work, you were stuck, with no way to put the eMatic back in its original condition.
post #55 of 74 Old 12-31-2016, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I wonder what the experience will be like getting any support. This is the box Channel Master is ashamed they sell. :-) If I google the cm-7003, I can go straight to the page to purchase it. If I try to find it from their products page on their website -- nothing. Since they don't want the knowledge that it records out there -- and apparently don't want people to be that aware that they even sell it -- I wonder if support internally will be easy to find.
post #56 of 74 Old 12-31-2016, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I wonder what the experience will be like getting any support. This is the box Channel Master is ashamed they sell. :-) If I google the cm-7003, I can go straight to the page to purchase it. If I try to find it from their products page on their website -- nothing.
Okay, maybe it's a little hard to find, but it's not hidden! Click the PRODUCTS hyperlink near the top of any page (ignore what pops up when you hover), and the All Products page will open with 10 large tiles. Click the "Antenna Receivers" tile, and choose the product you want from there.

Quote:
...Since they don't want the knowledge that it records out there -- and apparently don't want people to be that aware that they even sell it -- I wonder if support internally will be easy to find.
Can't say why they've hidden the fact that it records, or speculate on support, but at the moment it's only $29! http://www.channelmaster.com/Digital..._p/cm-7003.htm
post #57 of 74 Old 12-31-2016, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Weird -- I swear I went through all of the tiles last week and couldn't find it anywhere. I was thinking of grabbing the box as part of a transition from my current setup. I thought on the previous page there was a confirmation of the 'Add Event' bug? But then @rabbit73 seems to indicate it was possibly a user error. So I'm unsure if the Add Event problem is an issue with the box.
post #58 of 74 Old 12-31-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Weird -- I swear I went through all of the tiles last week and couldn't find it anywhere. I was thinking of grabbing the box as part of a transition from my current setup. I thought on the previous page there was a confirmation of the 'Add Event' bug? But then @rabbit73 seems to indicate it was possibly a user error. So I'm unsure if the Add Event problem is an issue with the box.
The truth is, the first time I looked for it a while back, I didn't see it either. All I saw in that tile was the word "Antenna", and didn't bother reading the next word, "Receivers", so I completely over looked it.
post #59 of 74 Old 12-31-2016, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought on the previous page there was a confirmation of the 'Add Event' bug? But then @rabbit73 seems to indicate it was possibly a user error. So I'm unsure if the Add Event problem is an issue with the box.
If you are talking about Add an Event to record, they call it Book an Event to record.

I had never used a PVR before; my primary interest is in antennas and tuner sensitivity. The recording instructions are very skimpy in the 7003 manual, so I was uncertain how to do it.

In post #27 I showed the hard way to Book an event to record:

In post #28 JHBrandt thought there was a bug:

I read the HomeWorX HW-150PVR manual from the link that JHBrabdt gave me in post # 21:

and I reread the little info about recording in the 7003 manual and realized that there was an easier way to Book a recording. I show the two ways to get there in my post # 29:

so there is no bug to Book an Event to record AFAIK.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 12-31-2016 at 02:54 PM.
post #60 of 74 Old 01-02-2017, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Solid Signal is now calling the CM7003 a DVR, but the manual that can be downloaded from their site and the CM website has even less information about that feature than the manual that comes with the box.

Under the Specs tab is a troubleshooting hint about lockup:

Channel Master recommends the following troubleshooting steps in the event that the unit freezes on lower power stations that transmit in 480i in 4:3 aspect ratio.

In order to prevent that from happening, these channels need to be deleted manually.

CM7003 locked up on a channel

1. Unplug the CM-7003 from power and disconnect the antenna.

2. Now plug the CM-7003 into power and connect to your TV, but no antenna.

3. After it finishes boot up, that same channel will be displayed.

4. Change the channel to another/different Primary channel,

5. You can now reconnect your antenna and confirm that you see live TV.

6. Press the menu button on your remote.

7. Navigate down to "Program Edit" and press the OK button on remote.

8. Password is 6 zero's. 000000

9. Navigate to the channels that you want to delete and when it is highlighted, press "4" on the remote.

10.Confirm that you want to delete that channel with the OK button.

11. Navigate to any other channels you do not want and repeat.

12. Press the "Exit" button on the remote.

13. The deletions will now be saved.

CM-7003 Deleting channels

1. Press the menu button on your remote.

2. Navigate down to "Program Edit" and press the OK button on remote.

3. Password is 6 zero's. 000000

4. Navigate to the channels that you want to delete and when it is highlighted, press "4" on the remote.

5. Confirm that you want to delete that channel with the OK button.

6. Navigate to any other channels you do not want and repeat.

7. Press the "Exit" button on the remote.

8. The deletions will now be saved.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 01-02-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page