Channel Master CM-7003 (post-transition converter box) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

Old 01-02-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Solid Signal is now calling the CM7003 a DVR, but the manual that can be downloaded from their site and the CM website has even less information about that feature than the manual that comes with the box.

Under the Specs tab is a troubleshoot hint about lockup:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=cm-7003

Channel Master recommends the following troubleshooting steps in the event that the unit freezes on lower power stations that transmit in 480i in 4:3 aspect ratio.

In order to prevent that from happening, these channels need to be deleted manually.

CM7003 locked up on a channel

1. Unplug the CM-7003 from power and disconnect the antenna.
  2. Now plug the CM-7003 into power and connect to your TV, but no antenna.
  3. After it finishes boot up, that same channel will be displayed.
  4. Change the channel to another/different Primary channel,
  5. You can now reconnect your antenna and confirm that you see live TV.
  6. Press the menu button on your remote.
  7. Navigate down to "Program Edit" and press the OK button on remote.
  8. Password is 6 zero's. 000000
  9. Navigate to the channels that you want to delete and when it is highlighted, press "4" on the remote.
  10. Confirm that you want to delete that channel with the OK button.
  11. Navigate to any other channels you do not want and repeat.
  12. Press the "Exit" button on the remote.
  13. The deletions will now be saved.

CM-7003 Deleting channels

1. Press the menu button on your remote.
  2. Navigate down to "Program Edit" and press the OK button on remote.
  3. Password is 6 zero's. 000000
  4. Navigate to the channels that you want to delete and when it is highlighted, press "4" on the remote.
  5. Confirm that you want to delete that channel with the OK button.
  6. Navigate to any other channels you do not want and repeat.
  7. Press the "Exit" button on the remote.
  8. The deletions will now be saved.
That is very strange. Has anyone actually experienced the 7003 locking up on 4:3 channels? I don't recall hearing of a bug like this on any other MStar box.

If it's really a problem, I hope CM gets a firmware fix out quickly. I can't imagine that a box that requires you to delete all 4:3 channels would get much use in my home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, a hint for anyone using the CM-7003 with an antenna rotor, or switching between two antennas:

Unlike the old CM-7000, the 7003 doesn't have a "update scan" that rescans all channels without erasing its channel memory first. So if you need to rotate or switch your antenna to receive some stations, you have to use the "Manual Search" function.

That means you need to know the RF channel numbers of each channel you receive. You can find that info, along with the directions to your local stations, at a site like tvfool.com.

You can rotate or switch the antenna to the setting that receives the most stations and do an "Auto Search," but then you'll have to rotate or switch and do a "Manual Search" to add each remaining station one at a time.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You're right JHBrandt! It's an "all or nothing" scan. You can scan manually if you know the frequency that was updated. Just like you said.

Also an update..
I still have the Channel Master 7003 and talked to their tech support. They had no firmware to offer me, so I do believe this is a dead end for anyone who might encounter issues. But you can at least say I tried! But.. Don't count on any firmware updates! What mine did was constantly re-boot after I re-arranged all the channels to be in consecutive order. It will (after about a day or so) reboot constantly until the original scan order is restored. As if it is throwing a temper tantrum! lol. Once that is done, it will hold the QAM channels but in the messed up (non-consecutive) order my cable company put it in. Channel Master's tech support said they've seen odd things with QAM systems as it all depends on how the cable company set up their system. They said that the cable company can issue commands that the 7003 does not understand and it will cause issues like rebooting.

For me I have a feeling it's the cable company's way of making me get their box. It's like why have QAM when it's not even set up properly? I've even noticed the 3500STB will re-tune a channel if the cable company injects one of their local ads into the commercial breaks. Have never seen this on a built-in digital tuner with a flat screen tv. Guess I'm just old school keeping my analog tv for now. Either way for $30 the 7003 isn't bad.

The 7003 has a much brighter display brightness on the composite output. The 3500STBII did not, even after the latest firmware update it was still less bright. My original 3500STB is bright same as the 7003. I'm not sure if this extends to component or HDMI. Also..both analog outputs (video/audio) are lower on the 3500STBII, than the original 3500STB or the 7003.

Last edited by oneheadlight; 01-13-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Update 1/24/17:

I cannot recommend the Channel Master CM-7003 tuner. It had initially worked but after a couple days the first unit decided to reboot because it didn't like that I had re-arranged the original scanned channel order. It would reboot until all the channels were back into their original scan order. I have used this for QAM tuning.

I contacted Channel Master but their reply was to buy another unit. Um, ok..

I did buy a 2nd unit thinking MAYBE I just got a lemon. The 2nd unit was even worse. After about 2-3 days of using it, and no I did not re-arrange the channels this time, it began to reboot. I could not stop it! I did a factory reset, that didn't stop it. I unplugged it and waited til the capacitors lost their charge on the circuit board, then plugging it back in. Nope that didn't stop it either.

I contacted Channel Master again to see if there was new firmware that addressed this. This response from the level-2 tech support is hilarious! Their "fix" is to delete the channels that cause it to reboot! Um.. if I delete all the channels that is causing the rebooting then I won't have any channels to watch! What good is a tuner that cannot tune anything? lol. Wow, hilarious logic!

So again, I would not recommend the CM-7003, it just doesn't work, at all! And it wasn't just one tuner, I tried two different ones, same result! I know that QAM tuning on cable tv is a strange duck and it can cause many odd issues. But my original iView 3500STB works just fine for the most part, I just cannot pick up physical channel 38, odd I know. I'm back to using my original 3500stb, at least I can watch tv! So had to update this for everyone to know.
pachinko likes this.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That seems to jibe with those strange instructions @rabbit73 downloaded from the Solid Signal web site. It talked about deleting channels that caused the CM-7003 to "lock up." The implication was that it only happens when tuned to certain channels, but still, what if I have to delete a channel that I want to watch?

Sounds like the CM-7003 is a no-go for QAM, although it seems to be fine for the OTA viewers who have tried it here.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Smile Inserting Channels from a Second Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
I found one of the images they show for the 7003 interesting. It might be a way to combine the signals from two antennas aimed in different directions by creating a mini-headend.
Another method, which would work when you desired to insert just one RF UHF channel (with sub-channels) from an antenna pointed in a different direction, would be to use a single channel converter, such as the Pico Macom XUV. This product is discontinued but you can still find used units on ebay. Also, it was sold under other brand names and was aimed at the CATV and MATV market, so units have been pulled from those systems and put up for sale. A UHF channel received from an antenna would be "mapped" to a lower channel for distribution on an analog CATV or MATV system. For the 2 antenna application, we would map the second antenna's UHF channel to, let's say, a channel in the VHF-LO range (rf channels 2-6). I choose VHF-LO because these channels are less desirable for digital OTA TV because of noise problems, so very few are in use, and it should be possible to use a VHF-LO and VHF-HI filtered combiner in your system to insert the converter's output. Channel Master used to make a product called "Join-tenna" which might work.

How it would work: Let's say I use a fringe area antenna to receive (hypothetical) RF channel 39, virtual channels 40.1, 40.2 and 40.3, from a market outside my normal reception range. I would then use my UHF to VHF converter to map RF channel 39 from my antenna to RF channel 3, and a combiner to insert the channel on my system. At each TV set or converter box, I would rescan. The signal on channel 3 is found and becomes associated with virtual channels 40.1, 40.2 and 40.3. To the user, the translation to RF channel 3 is (almost) transparent. They just see it as a new virtual channel, designated 40 with sub-channels 1-3.

I have experimented with this idea, using the Pico Macom XUV to translate a channel with a strong signal, and proven the concept. If you wish to implement, I strongly suggest proving that you can receive the desired channel with a dedicated antenna, TV set, and, if needed, ATSC converter box. Make sure that the signal produces a watchable picture (infrequent pixelation and dropouts).

Having passed that step, I strongly suggest locating a converter that maps a UHF channel to a channel in the range 2-6. Converters were shipped from the factory with specific UHF to VHF mappings, but were field re-assignable within some limitations. The VHF channel needed to stay within the same range (VHF-LO, MID, HIGH or Superband). Lettered channels A-I were MID, higher lettered were Super. For output channels 2-6, there were no restrictions on the input UHF channel.

It will probably be very difficult or impossible to find a converter factory set for the desired pairing. I suggest getting assistance from someone experienced with RF modulators, amplifiers and filters, to perform the adjustments for remapping.

If you live in an area served by 2 clusters of transmitters, and can't find a good compromise direction for your antenna, this method would be useful for adding a small number of desired channels from the second cluster. These added channels might appear on RF channels 2, 4 and 5, which should be spaced far enough apart so adjacent channel interference might not be an issue. (There is a gap between 4 and 5, and 6 is often used as low power analog channel.)
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap_ncrunch View Post
I choose VHF-LO because these channels are less desirable for digital OTA TV because of noise problems, so very few are in use, and it should be possible to use a VHF-LO and VHF-HI filtered combiner in your system to insert the converter's output. Channel Master used to make a product called "Join-tenna" which might work.
Make sure it's one of the "old" JoinTennas. You bought those for the specific RF channel number to be joined. The JoinTennas CM sells today are merely signal splitters used in reverse (as a combiner) with an LTE filter.

If you have no other VHF-Lo stations in your area (or you do but don't care about them), a simple, inexpensive HLSJ would also do the job.
Old Today, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
VHF-LO and VHF-HI Joiner

Yes, I should have mentioned the HLSJ. A quick check of the SolidSignal.com website shows the Blonder Tongue ZHLSJ as available but the Pico or Tru Spec HLSJ as discontinued. Both units look very similar.

If you have an old UHF to VHF converter, originally sold to add UHF reception to TV sets that didn't have an internal UHF tuner, it could be used. However, the frequency tolerance of the internal LO is not tight enough. If you can lock the LO to the oscillator in a Pico Macom XUV, you will have the required frequency stability. Any Pico Macom XUV may be used. The dip switches need to be set to provide the required frequency. The XUV manual provides the dip switch settings for various UHF and VHF pairings.

Most of the UHF VHF converters sold on ebay are block converters and will not do the job. These took the whole range of analog cable TV channels and moved them to the UHF band, where they could be tuned with a standard UHF tuner. The customer avoided having to rent equipment from the cable TV company and, maybe, accessed a few premium channels. Later, the ability to tune cable channels became a standard feature in new TV sets and the block converters became obsolete.

Select a transistor UHF to VHF converter, the more modern the better. Some restoration will likely be required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement