RCA DTA800 Digital to Analog TV Converter Box - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 427 Old 08-21-2011, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked one of these up from ebay. It seems like I can't configure it? It's set to Spanish, but when I press the menu button on the universal remote it just goes to the channel list. There isn't even a button on the original box's remote that goes to channel list according to the user manual. Any idea what's up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 427 Old 08-21-2011, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You'll need the proper remote. The Menu button on the RCA remote brings up the Main Menu where the options are Channel List-1 to Settings-5. In Settings-5 you can select Language-2.
post #363 of 427 Old 08-21-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 97
How sensitive is the tuner in this box? Compared to the Zenith? What type of tuner does it use?
post #364 of 427 Old 08-21-2011, 07:13 PM

No idea but it works as well as any other unit. Here in AZ I can get all the Phoenix and Tucson stations. The good thing about them is they are cheap. I just saw one at Goodwill for $3.99. That's without the remote but I think a Logitech Harmony would probably work.
post #365 of 427 Old 08-21-2011, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 97
And they are still being sold at Walmart here in SC for $49.
post #366 of 427 Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 AM

Where could I go about getting a proper remote?
post #367 of 427 Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutche2 View Post

This one http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...28RCRP-05-B%29 is sold as being compatible.

But they just used some old satellite receiver codes for this converter. Probably any replacement remote with arrow/menu controls would work. If you get one that doesn't list a code for the converter, just try the ones for RCA satellite boxes. I have an old Philips Universal remote* that works fine with my RCA converter box.

* 3 function model I got free after rebate a long time ago!
post #368 of 427 Old 10-08-2011, 05:24 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

And they are still being sold at Walmart here in SC for $49.

I assume that the RCA DTA800 model being sold is the DTA800B1, and not the DTA800B.

I gave a DTA800B away the other day, that I had purchased in 2008. Sad to say, the recipient of my gift will not be able to add channels after scanning due to the poor RCA design of the DTA800B. What a deal-breaker that oversight was !! An All or NOTHING scan option ! ? !

The DTA800B1 will allow a "Scan Add".

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #369 of 427 Old 10-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did some playing with a DTA800B box. Found that there is a connector near the back panel that is 1 pin short of 2 by 3 and has serial 0/3.3V TTL signals on it (center two are Tx and Rx with Tx closest to back panel all other are grounds). With a couple of transistors I was able to drive my rs-232 serial port at 115.2kbaud 8,N,1 but most folks would use max232 type chip.

Found that there is a debugging menu that you can use to do some stuff like bring up colorbars and test tones on TV, get a report of % of processor time used for diff tasks, will let you load files using xmodem format. Found that if you use power and ch up or ch down buttons you can go to the file download routine, or use 1-9 buttons to do some similar stuff--one will let you reset the box to factory settings. The two serial port run menus are a little different. One of the main serial functions would let you load a zlib compressed piece of code to RAM and run it--that might be a way to dump the flash and RAM of the box if the type of code in use were known. The messages that came out at boot lets you know the RAM and flash base addresses, but not sure what type of code is in use.

By the way the Thomson tuner in the DTA800B is the same as used in the channel master D2A box. At least in what I have to play with.
post #370 of 427 Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post

I assume that the RCA DTA800 model being sold is the DTA800B1, and not the DTA800B.

I gave a DTA800B away the other day, that I had purchased in 2008. Sad to say, the recipient of my gift will not be able to add channels after scanning due to the poor RCA design of the DTA800B. What a deal-breaker that oversight was !! An All or NOTHING scan option ! ? !

The DTA800B1 will allow a "Scan Add".

Saw a stack of RCA DTA800B1s at a Walmart in Ohio ($50 Dayton - Hoke Rd Oct 27 2011).
post #371 of 427 Old 11-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am a little late coming to this party, so please forgive me. Anyway, I inherited one of these this spring. I "cut my teeth" on the Zenith DTT901 and DTV Pal. A friend of mine can put this to use and, since I am not using it, hopefully it will work for him. We live in the same market, so I already scanned in the local channels. I do have a couple of questions, however. There were NO channels in memory when I powered this up. I am not sure if me mother ever used this. Does the DTA800 have a volatile memory? Will it "forget" all of the channels I just scanned in fairly quickly when it is not connected to AC house current? Also, how does the sensitivity and selectivity compare to say the Zenith or the DTV Pal? I seem to recall reading that the Zenith was considered by some to be one of the more sensitive and selective boxes. I don't think the DTV Pal was quite as good. Hopefully the DTA800 is at least as good as the DTV Pal.
post #372 of 427 Old 11-26-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I am a little late coming to this party, so please forgive me. Anyway, I inherited one of these this spring. I "cut my teeth" on the Zenith DTT901 and DTV Pal. A friend of mine can put this to use and, since I am not using it, hopefully it will work for him. We live in the same market, so I already scanned in the local channels. I do have a couple of questions, however. There were NO channels in memory when I powered this up. I am not sure if me mother ever used this. Does the DTA800 have a volatile memory? Will it "forget" all of the channels I just scanned in fairly quickly when it is not connected to AC house current? Also, how does the sensitivity and selectivity compare to say the Zenith or the DTV Pal? I seem to recall reading that the Zenith was considered by some to be one of the more sensitive and selective boxes. I don't think the DTV Pal was quite as good. Hopefully the DTA800 is at least as good as the DTV Pal.

They don't forget the channels so if it didn't have any in memory it was never used or maybe someone scanned for channels with no antenna connected and erased them all. The sensitivity is quite good since I can get all the channels from Phoenix and Tucson. Whatever you do though don't lose the remote or you won't be able to operate it.
post #373 of 427 Old 11-26-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutche2 View Post

A Logitech Harmony will operate it but they tend to be expensive. I have seem some on sale for $20 that only operate 4 devices though.
post #374 of 427 Old 11-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smpowell View Post

Saw a stack of RCA DTA800B1s at a Walmart in Ohio ($50 Dayton - Hoke Rd Oct 27 2011).

Shortly after reading this I chanced upon a single unit resting on the shelf at Walmart in Portland, OR, same price ($50). I'll be interested to know if you notice the rate of depletion in that stack.
post #375 of 427 Old 11-26-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf View Post

Shortly after reading this I chanced upon a single unit resting on the shelf at Walmart in Portland, OR, same price ($50). I'll be interested to know if you notice the rate of depletion in that stack.

I see them at Goodwill all the time for $5.99 or so. Since TV's all get HDTV now nobody needs them anymore.
post #376 of 427 Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 PM

Location: Toronto, ON, CAN (7 million that don't count in Buffalo, NY DMA)
I confirmed today what I had suspected, the RCA DTA800 has a firmware bug for the program guide. Many owners might never see it as it only gets exposed depending on how the station sends it.

If you know ATSC PSIP, the guide data is sent in EIT/ETT. If a station always sends EIT-0 in the lowest PID, no problem. However a couple of stations in my area rotate EIT-0 through the set of PIDs, and the program guide only works on that channel what it rotates back to the lowest one.

Each EIT is 3 hours long, so it works for 3 hours out of every cycle. The length off the cycle is determined by how many EITs are sent. For example, if the station sends 4 EITs, the cycle is 12 hours long.

I used TSReader to validate my theory and to determine the periods it would works for those "problem" stations.
post #377 of 427 Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec50 View Post

I see them at Goodwill all the time for $5.99 or so. Since TV's all get HDTV now nobody needs them anymore.

Wish that was true in Las Vegas. have only checked one Goodwill so far, though. Lots of analog TVs, but not one converter box.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #378 of 427 Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Wish that was true in Las Vegas. have only checked one Goodwill so far, though. Lots of analog TVs, but not one converter box.

Yeah that seems too good to be true in the broader sense. I rarely see them for less than $20 on Craigslist.

Supply and demand: Sure the demand went down (assuming folks aren't acquiring those used TVs when the other folks upgrade) but there's very little new supply and many upgrade-folks hang onto some of the boxes 'just in case.'

post #379 of 427 Old 05-09-2012, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You can check goodwill's site shopgoodwill.com for CECB's. The nearest ones near me that have em are either Madison, Indy or Michigan. Grr. Looks like I'll have to shell out full price for one at the local WalFart.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #380 of 427 Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post

You can check goodwill's site shopgoodwill.com for CECB's. The nearest ones near me that have em are either Madison, Indy or Michigan. Grr. Looks like I'll have to shell out full price for one at the local WalFart.

Cool, I didn't know Goodwill had a site like that, thanks! Indeed I see some five-dollarish prices BUT they're starting bids akin to an ebay auction site and have to pay S&H:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/search/S...&showthumbs=on

After looking at "Closed Auctions" they still went for some decent prices so may be worth a shot but beware that some may not be fully tested (as is, powers on/off ).

BTW Amazon still has new Zinwells for $40 with free shipping. Maybe other brands as well of whatever is still available new.

post #381 of 427 Old 07-22-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm moving to a different home - at long last, and it's a location offering what appears to be decent-to-good OTA reception. Imay need one or two converter boxes for older SD televisions. This DTA-800B1 version of this RCA box is readily available at Wal-Mart for $49.97.

I realize a couple of other boxes are available through Amazon, like the Zinwell as well as some used Zeniths, but my big question here: what is the reliability of these boxes?

Is the RCA DTA-800B1, or its predecessor unit the DTA-800, any more or less reliable than the other CECBs, most of which have been out of production for some time?

I do know that the original DTA-800 only offered an "automatic" channel scan, there was no ability to input a channel directly to see if there was some signal strength showing. The most recent version, the DTA-800B1, does allow a channel "add" scan in addition to the standard auto-scan. This makes the unit more attractive than it was previously.

One drawback is that the DTA-800B1 is not only SD only, but it only offers the 4x3 aspect ratio, not 16x9.

If anyone here can answer these questions - particularly regarding whether the unit will still be working and functional one year from now - please chime in here or PM me. It's nice to see our old posts on this forum - and to be honest, it's unfortunate that LG terminated production of the Zenith DTT-900/901 CECBs.
post #382 of 427 Old 07-22-2013, 05:29 PM

Seriously? Are you really still trying to use these old boxes that were obsolete 10 years ago? When are you moving into this century and getting a real HDTV?
post #383 of 427 Old 07-22-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec50 View Post

Seriously? Are you really still trying to use these old boxes that were obsolete 10 years ago? When are you moving into this century and getting a real HDTV?
These are for two TVs used in the bedroom, NOT for our main Samsung HD set.

Brand-new HD sets have become very inexpensive, and when the need comes to ditch the functional SD bedroom sets, that is easy enough. But for now, two nice Sony Trinitron sets will be nice bedroom TVs for non-critical non-connoisseur viewing.
post #384 of 427 Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 PM

Come on, there's nothing nice about an old Sony Trinitron! Are you using them to punish the kids when they have been bad? "If you don't do your homework you will have to stay in your room and watch the old Sony Trinitron!" I think you are just wasting your time trying to make those old boxes keep working. Even the cheapest new HDTV has a better tuner than those old boxes did as well as a much better picture.
post #385 of 427 Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey now! biggrin.gif Actually many gamers, which many of are kids, prefer CRTs (low input lag, solid colors&blacks, high contrast, etc.).

I guess I don't understand why you even replied to rag the guy on it instead of letting him find some answers to his questions. Maybe you should go to this thread and work on these guys:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/408146/the-official-kd-34xbr960-thread/7950#post_23550248

[great HD widescreen TVs (with built-in HD tuner!) albeit they maxed out at 34", only some of the new plasmas can come close in PQ for mainstream TVs]

post #386 of 427 Old 07-23-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

Hey now! biggrin.gif Actually many gamers, which many of are kids, prefer CRTs (low input lag, solid colors&blacks, high contrast, etc.).

I guess I don't understand why you even replied to rag the guy on it instead of letting him find some answers to his questions. Maybe you should go to this thread and work on these guys:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/408146/the-official-kd-34xbr960-thread/7950#post_23550248

[great HD widescreen TVs (with built-in HD tuner!) albeit they maxed out at 34", only some of the new plasmas can come close in PQ for mainstream TVs]

If I ever run across one of these (heavy) Sony's at a yard sale, I'll be all over it. Even though I don't have a TV in the bedroom and the 125" cinema-scope screen along with the old (circa 2007) 42" plasma TV are running just fine.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-R0oYg6qCaWM/p_15834XB970/Sony-KD-34XBR970.html

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #387 of 427 Old 07-24-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah there's a guy over on that thread that bought a new 65" Panasonic plasma, says it's fantastic. He still has his Sony 960 next to it as sort of a picture&picture (at least that's what I do with my Panny 34" widescreen HD CRT and an old 27" CRT). He's got pics of the setup over there if you're interested.

post #388 of 427 Old 07-25-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

You don't need an old CRT TV for gaming. I'm pretty sure that Ms. Packman will run just fine on an LCD TV! LOL
Seriously, it seems like just a waste of time to try to use old TVs with adapter boxes. I got an LCD TV on sale at Frys for $79 that receives better than any of those adapter boxes do.
On the other hand for someone determined to stay rooted in the '90's this seems like the time for it since you can get the TVs at Goodwill for $1.00 and the adapter boxes for $15 or so if that's what you really have to have.
post #389 of 427 Old 07-25-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't need an old CRT TV for gaming.

I wrote "prefer" not "need." And I mentioned some of the reasons why above.
Quote:

I got an LCD TV on sale at Frys for $79 that receives better than any of those adapter boxes do.

I seriously doubt it. Did you test it against some and not just the crappy ones? I've seen instances where folks had to use a converter box in place of their flat panels' tuners where they had reception issues. Not all tuners are alike and the cheap sets may have cheap tuners.

post #390 of 427 Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I recently scored a DTA800B at a local Goodwill store. I did have to purchase a compatible RCA Universal Remote to control it - but as luck would have it, on another Goodwill visit I scored a genuine DTA800 remote!

Although I now have four Zenith DTT900 CECBs (not all in use at the same time - we only have two SD televisions needing a DTV box), I tested the DTA800B out and actually found it to be a fairly good performer. The program guide feature is nicer than what's on the Zenith box. Sensitivity is pretty good although probably not as exceptional as the Zenith - using a CM 4221 placed inside my condo (a horrid reception environment as it is partially below-ground, surrounded by other condo buildings, and on the southern slope of a hill which renders most Seattle stations as a 2-edge reception pattern), I pulled in a total of 31 channels (stations + subchannels)! I actually liked using the DTA800B and the big-button remote is a great pleasure.

Picture quality is very good, maybe a tiny bit less crisp than the Zenith. Sound quality is pretty good and better than the Zenith DTT900 - though late-production DTT900 units and the DTT901 are improved for audio.

The part which is unknown - and which is the reason I've been stockpiling used CECBs - is lifespan. I've seen plenty of reports that RCA DTA800 boxes sometimes have a short lifespan. That's also been true with other CECBs. YMMV.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page