RCA DTA800 Digital to Analog TV Converter Box - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB) > RCA DTA800 Digital to Analog TV Converter Box
DrBri99's Avatar DrBri99 09:27 AM 05-10-2008
I've checked Walwarts in Waynesboro and Charlottesville, Virginia and niether carries the RCA.

beachbum_50's Avatar beachbum_50 11:55 AM 05-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee View Post

According to this review, "the DTA800 would be distributed west of the Mississippi, while the troublesome Magnavox TB100MW9 would be stocked in the eastern USA."

hdtvexpert . com / pages_c / 2TV_Converters . html
(sorry, can't post URLs yet)

To everyone who has this box: Is the above statement true?

I can't find it at any of the Walmarts in Milwaukee, yet my buddy was easily able to find it in St. Louis. Is there anywhere else that I can buy the RCA?

The Walmarts near me - Longmont and Lafayette used to carry the Magnavox back in Feb, now all they carry is the 800B
Rogee's Avatar Rogee 11:57 AM 05-10-2008
Thanks for the the info... the statement seems to hold true so far.
spokybob's Avatar spokybob 02:15 PM 05-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee View Post

Thanks for the the info... the statement seems to hold true so far.

Aledo IL W-M out of Magnavox. Muscatine IA is out of RCA boxes per telcon yesterday. The employees know nothing more than that.
lexus2108's Avatar lexus2108 04:50 PM 05-11-2008
1) Is there any other place besides Walmart to buy this box? Here on the east coast. I can not find one in Walmart stores

thanks

I found the Manual PDf online

Question.

2) If you do not have a smart Antenna. Can you do a Full Scan for channels and not just a quick scan? Or do you have to have a Smart antenna for this Full scan option?

3) The EPG on this box does it show more then what is playing next? Like the Magnavox that shows you 4 to 5 hours ahead. Or is it just Next show?
satpro's Avatar satpro 08:46 PM 05-11-2008
online dtv.bsat.net and a few other authorized online sellers have them.
lexus2108's Avatar lexus2108 09:00 PM 05-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post

online bsat and a few other authorized online sellers have them.

names? links?
satpro's Avatar satpro 09:16 PM 05-11-2008
dtv.bsat.net

www.dtv2009.gov/VendorSearch.aspx

Got mine off fleabay for cheap since I didn't have a coupon.
lexus2108's Avatar lexus2108 09:23 PM 05-11-2008
Quote:

dtv.bsat.net

www.dtv2009.gov/VendorSearch.aspx

Got mine off fleabay for cheap since I didn't have a coupon.

I know about BSAT but I haven't found anyone else, but Walmart who does not sell them near me.

Anyone else online besides BSAT?

That list you provided is not RCA specific
satpro's Avatar satpro 10:17 PM 05-11-2008
freedtvshop.com also sells them.

I have not ordered from them, I have ordered from BSAT and while they took awhile I did get my boxes in 2 separate shipments.
lexus2108's Avatar lexus2108 10:50 PM 05-11-2008
Quote:

freedtvshop.com also sells them.

I have not ordered from them, I have ordered from BSAT and while they took awhile I did get my boxes in 2 separate shipments.

How long did BSaT take and how much was shipping?

FREEDTvshop says back order and is more expensive at $27
BSaT says $50 minus coupon = $10. Correct?
Malouff's Avatar Malouff 01:05 AM 05-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

I found the Manual PDf online

Can you share a link to the Manual for others?
lexus2108's Avatar lexus2108 01:15 AM 05-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Can you share a link to the Manual for others?

I hope you guys are kind enough to answer my questions above too

Here is link

http://www.freedtvshop.com/fdtv/conv.../dta800bUM.pdf

Dont forget to thank John for posting it
Malouff's Avatar Malouff 02:08 AM 05-12-2008
I should have thought to look at FreeDTVShop, It looks like John took the time to scan this to a PDF unlike the others.

lexus2108 - I thought you wanted a box with passthru?

1) Just a few online retailers so far and all will cost more than Wal-Mart.

2) It looks like Full Scan and Quick Scan are only for the Smart Antenna and affect the scan time.

A Smart Antenna is optional and is supposed to improve reception.
That is if you have different towers in different directions.

3) The EPG is just What's on Now/What's on Next nothing ahead as I understand.

However, the Zenith is one channel at a time and the RCA shows them grouped 9 to a page in multiple pages if you have more then 9 channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET View Post

Of course, we would love if the DTA800 enabled us to see program guide data for several days in the future...

The Channel Information/Program Information however also shows what's on next too and I don't think any others do this either but may be wrong.

P.S. don't forget to add the shipping with BSat it is more than $10 total.
Malouff's Avatar Malouff 02:17 AM 05-12-2008
Looking at the User Manual I found it odd that it said to set the Converter Box and VCR to different channels one 3 and the other 4.

How is the signal suppose to pass thru the VCR if they are on different channels?

I am thinking they were suppose to tell you to set both switches on the back of both boxes to the same channel.

Also the screenshot for the Channel Scan said
"You may have to re-adjust the antenna and retry the scan to capture all available channels"

I thought each scan wiped out the list of channels how can you get all available channels if this happens?
SirVette's Avatar SirVette 04:48 AM 05-12-2008
Quote:

Looking at the User Manual I found it odd that it said to set the Converter Box and VCR to different channels one 3 and the other 4.

How is the signal suppose to pass thru the VCR if they are on different channels?

Malouff
Think of it like this.
When a VCR is set to Ch. 3 it effectively becomes Ch. 3 on your TV.
I have 2 VCRs one is set to Ch. 3 & the other to Ch.4.
To monitor one of the VCRs the TV is set to that VCR's Ch.
To record from VCR Ch.3 to VCR Ch.4, VCR Ch.4 is set (i.e. tuned) to Ch.3.

In this case VCR Ch.3 could be replaced w/ a tuner/converter (CECB) set to Ch.3. So when another tuner (CECB) is added to a VCR & TV the tuner would be set to the other Ch. as they stated.
lexus2108's Avatar lexus2108 08:51 AM 05-12-2008
Quote:

I should have thought to look at FreeDTVShop, It looks like John took the time to scan this to a PDF unlike the others.

lexus2108 - I thought you wanted a box with passthru?

1) Just a few online retailers so far and all will cost more than Wal-Mart.

2) It looks like Full Scan and Quick Scan are only for the Smart Antenna and affect the scan time.

A Smart Antenna is optional and is supposed to improve reception.
That is if you have different towers in different directions.

3) The EPG is just What's on Now/What's on Next nothing ahead as I understand.

However, the Zenith is one channel at a time and the RCA shows them grouped 9 to a page in multiple pages if you have more then 9 channels.

The Channel Information/Program Information however also shows what's on next too and I don't think any others do this either but may be wrong.

P.S. don't forget to add the shipping with BSat it is more than $10 total.

Yes I did get an Analog passthru box the Maganavox G9. It is so hard to use. My aunt can not figure it out. She grew up in a non-computer world. To go to menu is to hard for her. To push a button for 3 seconds to turn it off and then it changes channel to 4 instead of 3.

We realized that the only stations not going digital for her are HSN and a few spanish stations. She will not bother with all the work to watch those 2 stations.

The Magnavox has a small remote and does not control TV

So for second box we wanted the RCA 800B1 with passthru but that will not be avail by end of month and our coupons are expiring and NTIA has said they only looking into extending.

So we will settle for the 800B with no passthru.

Any other info you would like lol? Maybe my blood type? lol
lexus2108's Avatar lexus2108 08:56 AM 05-12-2008
Malouff

Can you please give me the list of the few online retailers that I can get the RCA 8000B from

My walmart does not have it. I went to 3

BTW can you manually add stations?
Malouff's Avatar Malouff 09:17 AM 05-12-2008
The Converter Box is set to Ch. 3
The VCR is set to Ch. 4

The VCR will not be able to record/watch from the Converter Box unless it is tuned to display Ch. 3 but would output to the T.V. on Ch. 4

Your T.V. should be able to see the VCR on Ch. 4 but if you change it to Ch. 3 would you still see the Converter Box with the VCR both on and off?

The VCR does support passthu so if it was tuned to record/watch a Analog Channel could the T.V. change to Ch. 3 and see the Converter Box.
I am thinking yes but for most of you, there will no longer be Analog so:

Why can't the VCR and Converter Box both be set to the same channel switch on the back?
My only logical guess is they cause interference.
Malouff's Avatar Malouff 09:59 AM 05-12-2008
lexus2108

I understand that you can't manually add stations.
The only real problem with this is if you can only get some channels at different times of the day.

If you have towers coming from multiple locations
you would have to move the antenna and scan for channels after each move.
A smart antenna is suppose to eliminate this as I understand.

I currently have this list of retailers on my EPG thread.
$33.94 @ http://www.freedtvshop.com | $64.99 + $8.95 shipping | 6.5% Sales Tax Minnesota
$18.93 @ http://dtv.bsat.net | $47.99 + $10.94 shipping | Illinois sales tax
~$9.97 @ Wal-Mart

Edit:
I fixed my retailer price list today and bsat raised their prices to about $21.29 and also is out of stock.
If you have any friends or relatives that live in the west cost maybe they can get it at Wal-Mart for you
lexus2108's Avatar lexus2108 08:36 PM 05-12-2008
Quote:

lexus2108

I understand that you can't manually add stations.
The only real problem with this is if you can only get some channels at different times of the day.

If you have towers coming from multiple locations
you would have to move the antenna and scan for channels after each move.
A smart antenna is suppose to eliminate this as I understand.

I currently have this list of retailers on my EPG thread.
$33.94 @ http://www.freedtvshop.com | $64.99 + $8.95 shipping | 6.5% Sales Tax Minnesota
$18.93 @ http://dtv.bsat.net | $47.99 + $10.94 shipping | Illinois sales tax
~$9.97 @ Wal-Mart

Edit:
I fixed my retailer price list today and bsat raised their prices to about $21.29 and also is out of stock.
If you have any friends or relatives that live in the west cost maybe they can get it at Wal-Mart for you

The box does not look out of stock or Raised in Price
http://dtv.bsat.net/pc-18-2-rca-dta8...ertor-box.aspx
???

Model: DTA800 $50
Manufacturer: RCA
$10.00 after NTIA coupon deduction
Malouff's Avatar Malouff 09:02 PM 05-12-2008
You can't add to cart they are out of stock.
It use to be $47.99 not $50.00 most boxes have been raising prices.
lexus2108's Avatar lexus2108 09:27 PM 05-12-2008
Quote:

You can't add to cart they are out of stock.
It use to be $47.99 not $50.00 most boxes have been raising prices.

Great now I can not get one before my coupons expire
obsoperator's Avatar obsoperator 05:42 AM 05-13-2008
Well, you mean can't get one at the (apparent) lowest price. Freedtv allows units to be added to the Cart today (5/13/08). I was pleased that they let me use my coupon over the internet, and I though 8.95 was a fair shipping charge. Since I went to two Walmarts and only found Magnavox units, I don't feel bad about paying freedtv's price, with a coupon.
lexus2108's Avatar lexus2108 11:23 AM 05-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsoperator View Post

Well, you mean can't get one at the (apparent) lowest price. Freedtv allows units to be added to the Cart today (5/13/08). I was pleased that they let me use my coupon over the internet, and I though 8.95 was a fair shipping charge. Since I went to two Walmarts and only found Magnavox units, I don't feel bad about paying freedtv's price, with a coupon.

How can you order if it is on back order?

Backordered
RCA DTA800B
Price $64.99
$24.99 After Coupon

http://www.freedtvshop.com/fdtv/converters.php

And Honestly I like John of Freedtv BUT Walmart and BSAT are $50 Why would I pay $64.99 Plus shipping.

Plus it says he is back ordered also

Backordered - Reserve Yours Today!
SHIPPING: ONLY $8.95 FOR YOUR ENTIRE ORDER!
obsoperator's Avatar obsoperator 01:26 PM 05-13-2008
I don't know what to tell you. Obviously I'm not going to enter a credit card number for a box I already have, but here's my "Checkout" reply at 3:24PM EDT 5/13/08:
RCA DTA800B w/o Coupon 1 $64.99 $64.99
Subtotal $64.99
Shipping is Flat Rate Shipping $8.95
Tax $0.00
Currency is US Dollar Total $73.94
Enter your full converter box coupon number, expiration date, and CVV2 code in the fields under the Other Information section

Sorry if you got a different result.
lexus2108's Avatar lexus2108 03:04 PM 05-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsoperator View Post

I don't know what to tell you. Obviously I'm not going to enter a credit card number for a box I already have, but here's my "Checkout" reply at 3:24PM EDT 5/13/08:
RCA DTA800B w/o Coupon 1 $64.99 $64.99
Subtotal $64.99
Shipping is Flat Rate Shipping $8.95
Tax $0.00
Currency is US Dollar Total $73.94
Enter your full converter box coupon number, expiration date, and CVV2 code in the fields under the Other Information section

Sorry if you got a different result.

BSAT Said they no longer carry RCA 800b They are waiting for the RCA800b1 with passthru and other improvements. Sometime in June
CodeOptimist's Avatar CodeOptimist 09:53 AM 05-20-2008
What's the status on the DTA800's reported audio problem? Does it show up in all/almost all DTA800 boxes?
HiTekVagabond's Avatar HiTekVagabond 10:34 AM 05-23-2008
Quote:

It appears as though my dta800b made 02-08-08 with ver 4.08 firmware has the broadcom chip and has an uninstalled s-video output port and a service jack that is installed but covered from back panel access.

It looks like a BCM3543 ATSC Digital Receiver System on a chip and a Hynix memory chip of some sort. I would guess flash.

Did you get any further?
lexus2108's Avatar lexus2108 02:28 PM 05-23-2008
quick Question;

Is rca EPG just NOW and NEXT? OR does it show hours in advance
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop