Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #451 of 2451 Old 03-06-2008, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...ive-first.html

The Zenith is proving to be a truly good CECB, even beter than the Insignia, which is odd considering they suppose to have the same internals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2451 Old 03-06-2008, 06:46 PM

the zenith i got at radio shack is marked dtt-990?

it works ok so far.
the bugaboo?
no vcr pass through?
or do i have things setup wrong?
post #453 of 2451 Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Are you sure ?
The Radio Shack website lists both of the following -
Digital Stream DTX9900
Zenith DTT900

Both of these are CECBs

And the no analog passthrough is a known "feature" on both of these.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #454 of 2451 Old 03-06-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Terapin: in case my post left you confused - there is no antenna "analog pass-through" on the Zenith DTT900.

What I did was keep my cable-TV feed connected to the RF input, while connecting my DTT900 and antenna to the component inputs. I toggled back and forth between the cable tuner and the DTT900.

At this time, I probably will keep the Limited Basic Cable TV subscription because it is tied to my high-speed internet service and (due to a multi-product discount) costs me very little. But I can honestly say, the condo unit I live in never had viewable OTA. Doing without cable TV is definitely an option.

As someone who had the RCA DTA800B in my home for five days, I observed that the Zenith has much more stable OTA reception, using the exact same so-so amplified indoor antenna, than the RCA.
post #455 of 2451 Old 03-06-2008, 07:07 PM

ah oops i think the box is dtx990 then.

i wonder whats the difference?

now i have to degrade my signal with a splitter?

i don't use cable or sat. just vcr and ota. oh well
post #456 of 2451 Old 03-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokie820 View Post

I just got my coupons today so I picked up two of the Insignia branded version of the LG box from Best Buy. Some observations:

1. The coaxial cable that comes with the box is garbage. When using the RF output on the box the sound had a constant buzz that was improved by upgrading the cable to RG6.

2. I live in a strong signal area and in multi-path hell with more analog ghosts than I can count on my two hands. The LG tuner still has some trouble with that environment using a basic loop antenna, which really doesn't surprise me. However, the problems are usually in the form of block errors and some audio breakup. I have yet to see the signal drop-out completely. My Samsung TV is a different story.

3. When compared with my Samsung HLR4266 using the same antenna feed (Terrestrial Digital DB2 indoors, no pre-amp, 4 port distribution amp), the Insignia sometimes has errors when the Samsung TV is perfect and vice versa. The Insignia doesn't drop-out completely like the Samsung does. The Insignia box detects and sometimes gets decoded video for Maryland PBS 22 whereas my Samsung doesn't.

4. The audio is really quiet on the RF side. It's a little louder using the composite cable. Switching to Mono audio output greatly improves the loudness in the audio output. The fact that you have to turn your TV up to the max to get useful range out of the converter box volume control is really annoying when you have other devices such as a gaming console hooked up to the TV.

5. It definitely has a very intuitive menu interface. The EZ-add and ability to tune to specific RF channels is nice. This is just my preference, but I like the small remote.

6. Although limited, the EPG is still useful. It's much better than what my Samsung HDTV delivers (only the current program and an incomplete description).

7. The print in the manual is somewhat small, which sucks for anyone who's near sight isn't great.

8. The signal meter on the Insignia with the audible meter is very handy for pointing the antenna when the tv is not visible. It's also fairly easy to quickly check the signal strength for all the channels after making an adjustment. It's also got a larger range than my Samsung does, which makes it handy for determining if you have a shot at getting a signal even when you can't get a decoded video lock on the station.

All in all, I'm really pleased with this converter box. Even with the occasional picture breakup, the digital picture blows away even the best of the analog pictures I receive. The tuner performs better than my HDTV.

So, at this point, I'm thoroughly impressed with the RF performance of this box. Now that the weather has cleared up, the Insignia box is decoding a watchable, with some video breaking up, MPT 22 off of my indoor DB2 feed (db2 no preamp -> 25ft rg6 -> coupler -> 30ft rg6 -> distro amp). Neither my Samsung hdtv nor my PCHDTV card even detect this channel much less begin to decode the video from it. For my location, this station shows up in the yellow threshold zone of the tvfool (http://www.tvfool.com) results.
post #457 of 2451 Old 03-07-2008, 03:33 AM

Finally picked up the Zenith at HH GRegg yesterday. First card they had processed. took two employees and about ten minutes to reference their PDF instructions and figure out how to do so, but they were very polite about it. Hook up was very easy (use my own better RF cable than the cheap one included).
Prior to setup I was getting about 10 channels OTA...most not very well...now receiving about 25. On some channels noticed some high pitched noise which was fixed after switching the channel from stereo to mono. Have some audio dropout and some pixelation on a few of the more long distance channels.

Our local PBS which is a UHF broadcast wouldn't come in well until I extended the rabbit ears.

Overall very pleased with the reception.

...hanging near the rafters of Gampel like ledge rats.
post #458 of 2451 Old 03-07-2008, 06:50 AM

I got an Insignia box 2 days ago. I assume the operation is very similar to the Zenith box. The only thing that I really do not like about the box is the fact that the box controls the volume (through attenuation of the signal I assume).

Having to turn up the volume on my television, and keeping it up in order to control it via the box's remote is an utter pain. Not to mention interesting moments when I switch to another source and it is BLARING.

The RCA DTA800B's mode of operation (TV Power + TV Volume) in the remote would have been preferable on the Insignia/Zenith. On the whole the Insignia is a decent box.
post #459 of 2451 Old 03-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboy901 View Post

I got an Insignia box 2 days ago. I assume the operation is very similar to the Zenith box. The only thing that I really do not like about the box is the fact that the box controls the volume (through attenuation of the signal I assume).

Having to turn up the volume on my television, and keeping it up in order to control it via the box's remote is an utter pain. Not to mention interesting moments when I switch to another source and it is BLARING.

The RCA DTA800B's mode of operation (TV Power + TV Volume) in the remote would have been preferable on the Insignia/Zenith. On the whole the Insignia is a decent box.

As you mention, the Zenith/Insignia has a variable volume output on the stereo L/R output. Does it also have variable volume on the RF output?

Brad

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do!"
- Joe Walsh
post #460 of 2451 Old 03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradtothebone View Post

As you mention, the Zenith/Insignia has a variable volume output on the stereo L/R output. Does it also have variable volume on the RF output?

Brad

Yes.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #461 of 2451 Old 03-07-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

Avio - can you control the LG/Zenith/Insignia box with this remote? If so, what's the code?

Whidbey: This post from another thread might help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmath View Post

I have an Onkyo HTIB and programmed an LG (vcr or dvd?) code into the Onkyo remote control. It doesn't have all of the functions, but I can change the channels and access the menu and a couple of other features.

Good luck. Avio
post #462 of 2451 Old 03-07-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Zenith's DTT900 continues to impress me with excellent RF sensitivity and superior reception characteristics. PQ has been the best I've ever seen on my bedroom CRT, and I'm looking forward to installing a second box to a 1990s-vintage 27" Sony Trinitron.
post #463 of 2451 Old 03-08-2008, 03:37 AM

The only problem I have been having with the Zenith (though it might be the broadcast channel) is on some channels I will get some random high pitch noise....you notice it with speech on the 's' and 't' sounds....though sometime it is almost constant with some music....I'm using RF....do you think the component cables would change this?

post #464 of 2451 Old 03-08-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledgerat View Post

The only problem I have been having with the Zenith (though it might be the broadcast channel) is on some channels I will get some random high pitch noise....you notice it with speech on the 's' and 't' sounds....though sometime it is almost constant with some music....I'm using RF....do you think the component cables would change this?

Try switching the converter audio to Mono, the noise should disapear and you'll probably get a volume boost.
post #465 of 2451 Old 03-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

Whidbey: This post from another thread might help you.

Good luck. Avio

No luck so far. Somehow I was under the impression that the CECB's remote codes would be easy to find.

post #466 of 2451 Old 03-08-2008, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

No luck so far. Somehow I was under the impression that the CECB's remote codes would be easy to find.

Whidbey: Here's the webpage and PDF file for the Sony RM-VL600 (2006-07) remote. As the previously cited post suggested you may wish to try the LG codes listed in the PDF file for TV, DVD, STB, etc. (try these codes on your Sony TV's Universal Remote). Please let us know if any of them work (and, if so, which ones).

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...=RMVL600&LOC=3

http://129.33.22.12/release/RMVL600_Remote_Codes.pdf

Avio
post #467 of 2451 Old 03-08-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Composite cabling should help on this problem. If you're using the RF cable that came with the box, you might find that upgrading the RF cable to RG6 might help as well.
post #468 of 2451 Old 03-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

Whidbey: Here's the webpage and PDF file for the Sony RM-VL600 (2006-07) remote. As the previously cited post suggested you may wish to try the LG codes listed in the PDF file for TV, DVD, STB, etc. (try these codes on your Sony TV's Universal Remote). Please let us know if any of them work (and, if so, which ones).

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...=RMVL600&LOC=3

http://129.33.22.12/release/RMVL600_Remote_Codes.pdf

Avio

I'll try those, but I'm not sure they will work with my remote. All the codes for mine are 3 digit, not 4 like in that pdf.

post #469 of 2451 Old 03-08-2008, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll try those, but I'm not sure they will work with my remote. All the codes for mine are 3 digit, not 4 like in that pdf.

That was the next thing I was going to ask you, "Does your Sony remote use 3 or 4 digit codes?"

I don't think it will work for you... But there's no harm in trying.

Avio
post #470 of 2451 Old 03-08-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The Philips Universal Digital DVD Learning Remote PMDVD6 is very useful for up to six devices. Devices may be assigned to just about any device button, say two different TVs in the same room. The Philips may also search for control codes for devices not listed in the twelve pages of common product codes (like that of my new Dynex TV). I purchased the Philips for less than $10 at a local Fred Meyer store (a Kroger-owned chain). Another Philips Learning Remote controls eight devices, and is priced under $18.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #471 of 2451 Old 03-08-2008, 01:37 PM

Can the audio output levels from the Zenith/Insignia be set to "fixed" rather than "variable"?
post #472 of 2451 Old 03-08-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frtundra View Post

Can the audio output levels from the Zenith/Insignia be set to "fixed" rather than "variable"?

Assuming I'm understanding your question correctly, yes.

You could set the Zenith volume to a picked "fixed" setting. Then, not touch this volume control again, and control the TV's volume only.

But, I have not noticed a fixed/variable toggle setting in the menu.

Avio
post #473 of 2451 Old 03-09-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicS View Post

Try switching the converter audio to Mono, the noise should disapear and you'll probably get a volume boost.

THat helped, but I think it has to do with my TVs audio. Once I went to component cables directly into my TV I had the same problem, but moving the components to my receiver eliminated the noise.

post #474 of 2451 Old 03-09-2008, 01:10 PM

I just ordered the Harmony 880 (after the nice Amazon coupon discount). Does any here use any of the Harmony remotes? Have you checked their website to see if the have the Zenith codes for the converter boxes yet? I know I can just have it learn the signal, but was hoping not to have to bother. How long does Logitech take to update their listings when new products come out?

post #475 of 2451 Old 03-09-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I just checked and it is indeed in their database, but the soft buttons are really poorly configured. You'll have to do a lot of customizing.
post #476 of 2451 Old 03-09-2008, 03:00 PM

I checked with my remote (model 520) and the the Harmony Remote software/ website already has the codes for the Zenith DTT900 converter box.

I went ahead and added the device in my remote. It worked fine to turn on the box and do most of the basic functions. The remote has codes for a bunch of activities that are not available on the box Like (1080i, HDMI, 480P) etc.

I suspect that they just ported over the codes for another more sophisticated Zenith or LG set top box. It should work fine for you.

I believe that Logitech updates the code database very quickly.
post #477 of 2451 Old 03-10-2008, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Picked up a pair of DTT900s at Circuit City Saturday night, and I've got to say, I'm very
impressed.

Among other things with a pair of rabbit ears it sees at least two channels my TiVo S3 doesn't even see a trace of.

Very nice, very easy setup that should work well for most anyone.

My only wishes are that it had S-Video, and passed the input antenna signal when
powered off, like a VCR.

Stereo audio over RF would have been nice but I doubt it's possible at this price point.
post #478 of 2451 Old 03-10-2008, 02:32 AM

Zenith box reception first impression: Set up went flawlessly without ever looking at the instruction sheet. I'm using powered rabbit ears. I discovered six things unrelated to the box. 1. Digital local stations, full scale on UHF, appeared to be keeping their on screen analog channel numbers. 2. The digital stations in communities 20-30 miles away are not readable on rabbit ears. 3. Our local ABC station, assigned to digital channel 10, was completely unreadable due to their extremely reduced digital power as they try to protect some analog station(s) on the that channel. 4. Some digital stations are on directly adjacent UHF channels. 5. The digital channels in my area only are transmitting just one subchannel. Their digital video fidelity is wonderful. Some stations fill out the 4:3 screen, some shrink the image within the 4:3 screen. 6. Some digital stations are transmitting program names, some are not. BTW: I read that after the analog shutdown some of the digital channel assignments will change.
post #479 of 2451 Old 03-10-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:

I have the same problem with my Zenith as well. I even tried exchanging it for another unit but the problem persisted. I've tried composite and RF cables as well as running the audio into my TV and surround receiver but no luck.

I'll try switching the audio to mono, but it would be nice if I didn't have to give up stereo sound.

I really like everything else about this box though. I've tried the Magnavox and RCA models from Walmart and the Zenith is much better all around. It has better construction, a better interface, and a better remote. However, the other boxes had perfect sound.

Unless I can fix this problem I think I will have to return the Zenith box.
post #480 of 2451 Old 03-10-2008, 09:11 AM

I did a really stupid, stupid, stupid thing: I was going through all the menus on a DTT900 I picked up over the weekend (BTW, I got CC to pricematch HHG 110%!) and accidentally changed the output to Ch. 4. Now the screen is a completely unintelligible/illegible jumble and I can't figure out how to change it back to Ch. 3! As others have mentioned, there's no reset button on the DTT900, and unplugging it does nothing (I assume there's a battery inside to save settings).

Short of returning it, is there anything else I can do? (BE NICE!)
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page