Zenith (LG) DTT900 CECB - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #541 of 2451 Old 03-12-2008, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As someone pointed out before, if the broadcast is being done in DD5.1, then the noise is more noticeable. Setting the output to mono helps a lot. For non DD5.1 stream the output seems to be fine. Can anyone confirm whether the Jan2008 build has this problem or not. I have the Dec 2007 built Zenith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2451 Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrrroger View Post

Most electronic devices, when set to mono, only look at the Right channel.

I doubt it. I think the mono setting will sum all the channels and output that.

Ed
post #543 of 2451 Old 03-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

It sounds as if the Insignia board is a different revision of the Zenith?

Curious...what are you basing your statement on? Everything I have seen indicates that the only difference is cosmetic. I compared the photos on the PDF's on the FCC website for both the Zenith and Insignia, and the inards are exactly the same in every respect.

Quote:

So far I have not heard any complains about poor sound coming from the Insignias.

Sound is just OK. Not as good as my Samsung DTB-H260F. Also, I've noticed the Insignia has a tendancy to have very brief audio drop-outs now and then. Not sure why since the Sammy doesn't do that.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #544 of 2451 Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

Sound is just OK. Not as good as my Samsung DTB-H260F. Also, I've noticed the Insignia has a tendancy to have very brief audio drop-outs now and then. Not sure why since the Sammy doesn't do that.

I've noticed the brief audio drop-outs on my Insignia too. It's annoying the crap out of me. So far, I've only noticed it on one channel(WDCW-50) on both of my Insignia boxes using same antenna feed. They both have a descent signal.
post #545 of 2451 Old 03-12-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb View Post

As someone pointed out before, if the broadcast is being done in DD5.1, then the noise is more noticeable. Setting the output to mono helps a lot. For non DD5.1 stream the output seems to be fine. Can anyone confirm whether the Jan2008 build has this problem or not. I have the Dec 2007 built Zenith.

I just got a Zenith box from Jan 2008 today. I will try it out this evening and see if the sound is better than my previous Nov 2007 box.
post #546 of 2451 Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:

So far I have not heard any complains about poor sound coming from the Insignias.

I guess you are not including every one of my posts in this topic??
post #547 of 2451 Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 PM

No dice. The Jan 2008 Zenith still has the same sound problems. How disappointing. After 3 different tries with this model I think I am giving up.

I don't know what brand I'll try next. The Magnavox and RCA from Walmart weren't that great when I use them. The only option left from a local retail store is the Digital Stream at RadioShack. I have no idea if the remote and UI are any good. Otherwise, I'll have to order online and just hope what I get works since returning it would be a pain.

Thankfully I'm doing all of this before my coupons have arrived. It makes returns/exchanges much easier.
post #548 of 2451 Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 PM

I would have readily expected that the January 2008 set to be the same, as they do not revise the board and components within the period of 2-3 months. They are really in a hurry to pump out these units.

From a review of the FCC photos of the internal components, there may be only one variation of the components. Some of them will have Sanyo rf tuners/modulators, while other habe LG ones.
post #549 of 2451 Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalTorque View Post

I would have readily expected that the January 2008 set to be the same, as they do not revise the board and components within the period of 2-3 months. They are really in a hurry to pump out these units.

From a review of the FCC photos of the internal components, there may be only one variation of the components. Some of them will have Sanyo rf tuners/modulators, while other habe LG ones.

Based on earlier photos posted in this thread I noticed that the labels on the circuit board changed from 2007 to 2008 boxes. In fact, I even opened my old and new boxes and verified that this was the case. The 2007 models have the number EAX39807101-071009 on the main board and 2008 models have EAX39807102-071128. This is why I was hopefully that a 2008 box might be better since the different labels could indicate a revision to the PCB which might include a fix for my audio problems. Obviously, the boards were not changed despite the different labels or any changes had no effect on the audio.
post #550 of 2451 Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnk View Post

Based on earlier photos posted in this thread I noticed that the labels on the circuit board changed from 2007 to 2008 boxes. In fact, I even opened my old and new boxes and verified that this was the case. The 2007 models have the number EAX39807101-071009 on the main board and 2008 models have EAX39807102-071128. This is why I was hopefully that a 2008 box might be better since the different labels could indicate a revision to the PCB which might include a fix for my audio problems. Obviously, the boards were not changed despite the different labels or any changes had no effect on the audio.

The numbers are effective Lot numbers. When a board it updated, there is usually a REV. number.
post #551 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Clearly, some boards correspond to a release on 9Oct2007,
whereas others are 28Nov2007. Sounds like a Rev Number.

Manufacturer could have indicated different versions due to changes in
motherboard etch and updated chip versions (including PROM load).

The "square bar-code" stickers probably indicate changeable data,
such as when circuit boards were assembled and EPROM version uploaded.
post #552 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 AM

Confusing.

This analog-to-digital transmission is too much work.

I know my parents won't care about a little noise in the left channel (probably will never even hear it) and thus they'll be perfectly happy with the Zenith, but it's going to sound like trash when connected to my surround speaker system. I don't understand how a poor-sounding design ever got past Zenith's quality control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

Curious...what are you basing your statement on?

Well if you read my WHOLE paragraph, rather than chop it up into little bits, you'd find your answer. Quote: "It sounds as if the Insignia board is a different revision of the Zenith? So far I have not heard any complains about poor sound coming from the Insignias."

Also it's worth nothing that it was not a statement, but a question (note the question mark). I'm hoping somebody can provide an answer, so I will know whether to buy Zenith or Insignia.
post #553 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrac View Post

I guess you are not including every one of my posts in this topic??

I didn't know you were using an Insignia, and that you were experiencing noise in the left channel.

As for audio dropouts, my Hisense tuner does the same; it's a result of poor reception and not the box's fault. Typically the picture will turn blocky as well, but not always.
post #554 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 06:21 AM

First post.
I purchased the Zenith a couple of days ago, and so far I am pleased with its performance. I am using an old set top antenna (complete with 300 ohm cables!) and and have received nearly all of the available channels in my area.
My problem is this-after having the receiver hooked up to my tv (a 1999 Philips 26" CRT) for a day, my tv suddenly lost picture (black screen with a faint rainbow effect). Is this just a coincidence, is there some sort of weird magnetic effect the Zenith box is having on my tv, or should I start looking for a new tv?
post #555 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Probably the TV - in which case, if you replace it - will come with a built in ATSC tuner.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #556 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Manufacturer could have indicated different versions due to changes in
motherboard etch and updated chip versions (including PROM load).

The "square bar-code" stickers probably indicate changeable data,
such as when circuit boards were assembled and EPROM version uploaded.

Not really,

The FCC approval process is quite strict.........

The manufactrurer does not want to make any changes that might require recertification.
post #557 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Sounds like a date code, something we do all the time to track production quality. Part number or rev changes indicate functional changes. I expect these boxes are a batch mode manufacturing process, you may make a month's boards in a day because that's your production speed. Date codes then relate directly to production batches.

In spudnk's case:
EAX39807101-071009
EAX39807102-071128
we have both a part number roll, 101 to 102, and Oct/Nov date codes as I read it.
post #558 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:

I didn't know you were using an Insignia, and that you were experiencing noise in the left channel.

As for audio dropouts, my Hisense tuner does the same; it's a result of poor reception and not the box's fault. Typically the picture will turn blocky as well, but not always.

Yeah, I was thinking it may be that or a problem with the broadcaster. It's weird though it only happens with both of my insignia boxes, but not my Samsung TV. However, it does only happen on one of the stations. May take some tweaking of my antenna to fix it.
post #559 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On the stations that I get audio droputs, I have near 100% signal strength. To the credit of the Insignia, the picture never gets blocky. The drop-outs are VERY brief, just a minor annoyance really. But, I thought it was worth noting since it was one of the first things I noticed about the Insignia after I bought it. It would not have been noticeable to me unless I was accustomed to the near-perfect performance of my Samsung tuner.

post #560 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 AM

I see LG Electronics also makes the Microprose box.
How does that box compare to LG's zenith and insignia boxes?

It's hard to believe that LG would make a mistake with their audio decoder, unless they assigned the project to a team of college interns (since LG knew this box was not a huge profit item).
post #561 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Hiya -

Long-time lurker; first-time poster.

I just hooked up the Zenith box this week, and while the hook-up and set-up couldn't have been simpler (esp. since the GUI is a junior version of what I have on my LG HDTV) I noticed the "white noise" when the volume control on the box was down and the TV's volume was up, plus the weird mp3-like artifacts when it is hooked up via the component cables. Bought the box at CC, but no idea how to check and see when it was made. I know it involves going into the case. What do I look for, and am I correct in assuming that 1) the Insignia-badged version has the same problem and 2) it's something that Zenith won't fix?

Many thanks.
post #562 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 12:04 PM

Well the coupons arrived yesterday and I rushed down to Best Buy to get the Insignia box. I have the Zenith already, so I thought it would be fun to compare it to the Zenith.

The remotes are the same, I can control either box with either remote. Menus & setup are the same. Except for minor logo changes these are the same looking boxes.

I did try a really cheap $10 rabbit ear antenna. For the room I have it in, it's OK, but not great. For some channels, I have to play with the antenna to get a picture and if a big truck goes down the street, the picture & audio drop out.

AUDIO: I do not notice any audio problems with this unit, nor did I ever notice any audio problems with my Zenith either.

Currently I'm giving the unit a 24 hour "burn-in", so I'll run more tests in the next few days...

Bob Diaz
post #563 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The month and year of manufacture are shown on the cardboard box and the serial number sticker on the back of the unit. The circuit boards show version and date code information for that version.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #564 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

I see LG Electronics also makes the Microprose box.
How does that box compare to LG's zenith and insignia boxes?

It's hard to believe that LG would make a mistake with their audio decoder, unless they assigned the project to a team of college interns (since LG knew this box was not a huge profit item).

Microprose MPI-500 User Manual mentioned "LGDT1111"
supported three languages.

So if the audio problem is in the chip, other LGDT1111 boxes could be
affected...however, I've seen photos of both "C" and "D" chip versions.

Although the MPI-500 contains the LG 6th Gen chip, the box itself
(including audio I/Fs) may be designed by someone other than LG....
post #565 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have had my Zenith for 6 days, and today was the first day it didn't pick up one channel perfectly. Must be some weird atmospherics today; very overcast. Otherwise, it gets all 14 of my local channels perfectly with a MegaWave indoor antenna. I use my Silver Sensor for my TV's 3rd generation built-in tuner that is full HD, and I only use the Zenith as a back-up for bad reception days. Pretty good deal for $19.99. Maybe my next TV will be an LG so I will have full HD with the great reception characteristics of the LG chip. My friend who lives in the country and has an outdoor antenna and the Zenith box gets signals for all over with perfect reception. Digital is great as long as you have the right chip. With an outdoor antenna, your really cooking. Who needs cable bills?

IB
post #566 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDiaz View Post

AUDIO: I do not notice any audio problems with this unit, nor did I ever notice any audio problems with my Zenith either.
Bob Diaz

Bob, I am curious to know how you have your Insignia and Zenith hooked up? Is it to a TV with Stereo Speakers on it? Are both units set to stereo?

If so, do you have a stereo receiver you can run them through? Are you testing at night when shows are broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1?

Finally, what are the manufacture dates of both of your boxes?

Actually, I'd love it if *ANYONE* who is not having audio issues with their Zenith or Insignia could post their information. As it's been noted, the bad sound in the left channel is pretty much ONLY noticable when you have Stereo Sound and are viewing a Dolby Digital 5.1 broadcast.

Hopefully every station in the country that is transmitting HD is also sending the 5.1 signal when they are supposed to (ie., prime time television).

Many thanks!
post #567 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DTT900 receives two digital sub channels from our local PBS station that transmits a strong digital signal. The local PBS web page says they transmit 4 digital sub channels. Is it possible for the DTT900 to skip over some of digital sub channels yet still receive some sub channels on the main digital TV carrier?
post #568 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0kie View Post

My DTT900 receives two digital sub channels from our local PBS station that transmits a strong digital signal. The local PBS web page says they transmit 4 digital sub channels. Is it possible for the DTT900 to skip over some of digital sub channels yet still receive some sub channels on the main digital TV carrier?

Not likely. As with everything digital, it's all or nothing. The web page must be wrong, or your PBS station is working on their channel line-up. If and when they do begin transmitting 4 sub channels, they will appear on your receiver, no rescan or any input on your part required.

post #569 of 2451 Old 03-13-2008, 11:02 PM

I am in the Upstate of South Carolina. We get both South Carolina and North Carolina PBS. South Carolina has two subchannels, while North Carolina has 4.

All of the feeds are high quality, although they are ttransmitted only in 480i. ABC and Fox transmits in 720p, while NBC and CBS transmits in 1080i.

Th DTT900 receives them all, although the North Carolina channels have stronger signals.
post #570 of 2451 Old 03-14-2008, 12:20 AM

AUDIO PROBLEMS... And The Answer????

I did notice something tonight, but I'm not sure if this is just my box OR if everyone will find this to be the case. I was watching TV with the new Insignia Box and I noticed the audio seemed a bit distorted. The volume level on the box was set to 100.

I dropped the volume to 90 and turned up the volume on my TV, no distortion. It looks like the box goes into distortion when the volume is in the highest volume level of 100. Dropping it down to 95 reduces the distortion and at 90 I don't hear the distortion.

For those with audio problems, try setting the boxe's volume setting lower.

Now in answer to the questions:

Quote:

Bob, I am curious to know how you have your Insignia and Zenith hooked up? Is it to a TV with Stereo Speakers on it? Are both units set to stereo?

If so, do you have a stereo receiver you can run them through? Are you testing at night when shows are broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1?

Finally, what are the manufacture dates of both of your boxes?

Zenith Box, made November 2007, connected to a MONO TV, right channel only. I also never set the volume on the box above 85. I have tested this box both day and night, no audio problems. The box is set to mono.

Insignia Box, made December 2007, connected to a Panasonic DVR (Stereo) which is connected to my 37" HDTV (stereo). As long as I keep the volume setting of the box to 90 or less, no distortion. This was tested both with day and night TV. (I just noticed the distortion tonight and found the reason why, so I don't know what I'll find with daytime TV.) The box is set to stereo.

Bob Diaz
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page