post #721 of 2451 Old 03-28-2008, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

I get an intermittent, flickering second image offset slightly from the first image, via the composite-video output. I haven't tried the RF output. Tuning to a different channel usually fixes the image, at least temporarily. I've tried two different composite-video cables and two different inputs on my TV, with the same result.

I exchanged my unit yesterday, at a different Circuit City store from the one where I bought it, hoping it would have a different batch of units. It has the same problem, perhaps a bit worse!

After observing it some more tonight, it looks like this "dancing image" syndrome occurs only in portions of the image that are stationary. For example, in the basketball games on CBS tonight, the text in onscreen graphics like the score bug "danced" but the moving parts of the image didn't. The players were always OK. The court and details of the building in the background were OK while the camera was panning, but when the camera stopped panning, those started to "dance," too. And of course the on-screen menus and displays from the unit "dance" except for the signal-strength bar whose reading usually fluctuates a bit, continuously.

As before, the "dancing" is intermittent. Changing to another channel usually stops it temporarily.

I don't think I've seen anybody else mention this. Am I the only person who's seeing this? Maybe it's my TV (a 2.5-year-old Panasonic HD-ready LCD). I've never seen this with any of my other components, but I don't think I've ever used the composite-video inputs before, just component, HDMI or S-video.

(Added) Aha, it does have something to do with my TV. I fed the Zenith into one of the composite-video inputs on my DVD recorder, which is connected to the TV via component-video. The "dancing" images are no more. The image is slightly softer than before, but still looks pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2451 Old 03-28-2008, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

I exchanged my unit yesterday, at a different Circuit City store from the one where I bought it, hoping it would have a different batch of units. It has the same problem, perhaps a bit worse!

After observing it some more tonight, it looks like this "dancing image" syndrome occurs only in portions of the image that are stationary. For example, in the basketball games on CBS tonight, the text in onscreen graphics like the score bug "danced" but the moving parts of the image didn't. The players were always OK. The court and details of the building in the background were OK while the camera was panning, but when the camera stopped panning, those started to "dance," too. And of course the on-screen menus and displays from the unit "dance" except for the signal-strength bar whose reading usually fluctuates a bit, continuously.

As before, the "dancing" is intermittent. Changing to another channel usually stops it temporarily.

I don't think I've seen anybody else mention this. Am I the only person who's seeing this? Maybe it's my TV (a 2.5-year-old Panasonic HD-ready LCD). I've never seen this with any of my other components, but I don't think I've ever used the composite-video inputs before, just component, HDMI or S-video.

(Added) Aha, it does have something to do with my TV. I fed the Zenith into one of the composite-video inputs on my DVD recorder, which is connected to the TV via component-video. The "dancing" images are no more. The image is slightly softer than before, but still looks pretty good.

I'm not sure why, but my analog TV does a better job with the output from a CECB than my Sharp HDTV (with built-in NTSC tuner) does. For one thing, my analog Magnavox fills up the entire screen with the image from the CECB, but my HDTV doesn't. Other than that, however, the picture quality from the CECB looks better on my old TV than my HDTV (I've set both up for TiVo, so I can see the same image on both of them at the same time). Maybe your HD monitor and my HDTV just don't handle 480i all that well---I don't know if this is a problem that holds true for other HD equipment, and why that would be.

Also, maybe you're getting something like the "dot crawl" phenomenon on your TV, which is a problem that I've noticed with the digital captions created by CECBs.

If you have an HD-ready LCD, though, you're not taking advantage of the HD capabilities of the TV by using a CECB limited to 480i resolution, but with so many messages under your name, you probably know that!
post #723 of 2451 Old 03-29-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I actually plan to use this box (or one of the other CECB's) mainly to feed my DVD recorder anyway. I connected it directly to the TV at first to make the setup simpler for testing. The picture is a bit crisper when the box is connected directly to the TV, but the "dancing text" syndrome spoils it. I see it with closed captions, too, so maybe it's the same as the "dot crawl" that you referred to.

My LCD HDTV doesn't have any problem with 480i output from other devices like my DVD recorder, or my DVD player, so there must be some interaction or mismatch between the Zenith and my TV. But I don't think it's a serious problem because as you say, if you've got an HDTV, you should be using an HD tuner with it anyway!

One thing I like about this box is that you can get to the signal strength meter with a single button-press, which I can't do with my Samsung DTB-H260F or my Sony HD DVRs. So I may end up keeping one connected directly to the TV, just for adjusting the antenna without having to turn on the DVD recorder.
post #724 of 2451 Old 03-29-2008, 10:49 PM

In the hopes of finding a newer manufacture date, I took my two week old Zenith converter back to the Circuit City that it was purchased from today. They had new stock, with a manufacture date of February 2008. My original had a January 2008 date, so an exchange was made for the newer model.

Unfortunately, as I feared, the audio issue was still present in the newer converter--so mono sound will have to do.

On the plus side, I found a $13.00 General Electric universal learning remote (model # 24950) at a nearby Target. After a bit of trial/error searching, a preset was discovered ("0656") that worked beautifully with the Zenith converter...and the few commands that it missed were easily added with the learning function.
post #725 of 2451 Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 PM

Anybody successfully controlling one of these CECBs from legacy equipment through an IR blaster?

I am looking for a CECB capable of outputting anamorphic widescreen (like the Zenith and similar boxes) that can be controlled using the IR codes for an older cable box or satellite box that my Panasonic DVR will know about.
post #726 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My 70-year-old parents finally got their two coupons. After re-reading all the threads about the various CECBs currently for sale in stores, we decided to buy them two more Zenith DTT-900s (I had already bought two and gave one to them). We haven't noticed "chirping" sounds but I have noticed the audio does have a mildly sibilant quality - reminds me of the very earliest Compact Disc players from 1983 (i.e. Sony CDP-101).

Given the short redemption period for the $40 coupons, and the Zenith's overall good performance, Dad wanted to get two more of the Zenith CECBs from Circuit City.

In a few months time there will be more CECBs to choose from, some offering better audio and lower retail prices. My goal was for my parents to become completely comfortable with OTA DTV - which included setting up a CHannel Master 4221 inside their house hidden behind their TV to improve signal stability.

The two boxes I purchased earlier were made in December 2007. The two boxes Dad bought yesterday were made in February 2008.

Worth noting: the packaging box has a "box certificate" from the "Cailu Foamiasts Factory" in Shanghai, China, indicating that the packaging passed certain quality tests. Is there any information as to which factory manufactured the actual boxes for LG/Zenith?
post #727 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBri99 View Post

He put me on hold, and then came back and said it was associated with 5.1 decoding.

Yeah, sure.

It's amazing the things you hear from people who are "support" products they know nothing about. That's nothing against them personally, it's just a job to them and their supervisors figure anyone could do it. The best possible thing that the CSR could do is stick to the script and (ideally) feed information back that there is some kind of problem. But don't bet on it. The system may not be set up to feed back information to anyone connected with engineering. (Probably just the marketing department.)
post #728 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm going out to get one of these today. My Motorola HDT-100 died last night. I think anything would be an improvement over the software that was installed in that thing. I just hope the Zenith has as good a tuner in it.
post #729 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 11:31 AM

Has it been confirmed that switching the Zenith to mono eliminates the 5.1 "chirp" on both the RF and RCA audio outputs?
post #730 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frtundra View Post

Has it been confirmed that switching the Zenith to mono eliminates the 5.1 "chirp" on both the RF and RCA audio outputs?

On my own unit, I don't hear the chirp at all when the Zenith is set to mono, with either RCA output or RF output.
post #731 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I ended up with the Magnavox tuner. It's tuner is much weaker than the Motorola HDT-100
post #732 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 12:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frtundra View Post

I have an LG, and the mono setting didn't help - it only increased the volume. What I ended up doing was using an RCA splitter to connect the Right audio source to both speakers, bypassing the left audio source. That did away with the chirping.
post #733 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

I ended up with the Magnavox tuner. It's tuner is much weaker than the Motorola HDT-100

And those were dogs on a good day. I have 2 of the 100's if you wnat them pay shipping.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #734 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

post #735 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

And those were dogs on a good day. I have 2 of the 100's if you wnat them pay shipping.

Everything about the 100 sucked except for the tuner. LOL - Are you saying you thought the tuners were awful also? Maybe mine was showing the wrong readings... The signal quality part of mine quit working about a year ago. It would just sit on the first red bar to the left.

I think I'll wait a few days and see what this maggotbox thing does as the weather clears... I may take it back and try the Zenith.
post #736 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Has anyone seen the 30 photos of the Zenith posted here?
http://www.nuxx.net/gallery/v/acquir...zenith_dtt900/

Wow, those are some mighty fine pics. He did an excellent job documenting everything!
post #737 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Even the back of the remote!
post #738 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 09:20 PM

My Tivo S2 can control my Zenith DTT900.
I configured my Tivo for Direct Tv service with an LG Satellite tuner.
According to the Tivo setup menus it's using IR code "10075-B" to control my Zenith box.
Using that setup, the Tivo is able to tune channels on the Zenith.
Problem is the Tivo doesn't know about subchannels. Also, the Tivo has fixed channel lineups that depend on what service you tell it you receive. There is no way to customize the channel lineups. So when I want to use the Tivo to tune to my local Fox channel 31 it sends the IR codes for "3"-"1" to the Zenith which tunes to 3-1. Luckily Direct tv in my area has a channel 311 so I just tell the Tivo to tune to 311 and the Zenith tunes to 31-1.
If tivo ever decides to support these converter boxes they've got their work cut out for them.
post #739 of 2451 Old 03-30-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum_50 View Post

My Tivo S2 can control my Zenith DTT900.
I configured my Tivo for Direct Tv service with an LG Satellite tuner.

Thanks for this; I will buy a DTT900 with my second coupon and try controlling it from my Panasonic DVR.

I will use my Digital Stream box for our other TV in the guest room.
post #740 of 2451 Old 03-31-2008, 02:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum_50 View Post

Problem is the Tivo doesn't know about subchannels. Also, the Tivo has fixed channel lineups that depend on what service you tell it you receive. There is no way to customize the channel lineups. So when I want to use the Tivo to tune to my local Fox channel 31 it sends the IR codes for "3"-"1" to the Zenith which tunes to 3-1. Luckily Direct tv in my area has a channel 311 so I just tell the Tivo to tune to 311 and the Zenith tunes to 31-1.

I thought that somebody said that if you wanted a subchannel, you could use the channel number and the sub number in succession the same way as you would do a main channel, such as 262, instead of 26-2.

Unless I'm thinking of another box (I think you can do it with the RCA, too).
post #741 of 2451 Old 03-31-2008, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I thought that somebody said that if you wanted a subchannel, you could use the channel number and the sub number in succession the same way as you would do a main channel, such as 262, instead of 26-2.).

I'll confirm that for you. With my DTT900, if I press "0" "2" "2" and wait for a few seconds, the CECB goes to channel 2-2. Further, if I press "0" "2" "2" and then press the dot in the center of the Left/Right/Up/Down buttons, it goes to channel 2-2 immediately.
post #742 of 2451 Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if the audio "chirping" is a byproduct of QC inconsistencies or is common to all DTT900s?

I have NOT connected a DTT900 to a high-end HT system, my observations are limited to the stereo audio from two Sony Trinitron SD CRTs. I've noticed some vocal sibilant issues and a somewhat bright audio balance, but not the "chirping" reported by others particularly with certain types of broadcasts.

Might this be a problem associated with certain local network affiliates' technical practices?
post #743 of 2451 Old 03-31-2008, 07:10 AM

Purchased 2 of the zeniths, wow, what a difference. I live 67 miles from majority of stations, used to get 9 channels, now get 25. No chirping or audio problems--impressed with quality of picture. Only warning is to be sure to take the thin undetectable plastic film off the remote battery!
post #744 of 2451 Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTiger View Post

Anybody see the broadcasters association ad? It shows a snowy analog picture and beside it a clear, precise picture of the same scene. Saying that digital is that much better.

I hate to tell them that if the UHF signal was that poor the digital would be blank.

That is true. Stations that are receivable by Digital already have nice strong analog signals & clear pictures.

Vice-versa, there are stations that can not be seen ona DTV, but can still be watched on an old analog set (fuzzy but viewable).
post #745 of 2451 Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 AM

I have an RCA programmer remote. It automatically changes channels on a cable box during certain time periods, however it does not seem to work with the Zenith.

Anybody know what code I should use?
post #746 of 2451 Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cool. I always wondered what the screws that hold it together look like!

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #747 of 2451 Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

I wonder if the audio "chirping" is a byproduct of QC inconsistencies or is common to all DTT900s?

I have NOT connected a DTT900 to a high-end HT system, my observations are limited to the stereo audio from two Sony Trinitron SD CRTs. I've noticed some vocal sibilant issues and a somewhat bright audio balance, but not the "chirping" reported by others particularly with certain types of broadcasts.

Might this be a problem associated with certain local network affiliates' technical practices?

I wondered the same thing since I never encountered that problem with my Insignia. We are both in the same market area.

Speaking of which, I have to return my Insignia to BB tonight, since last night I determined it was pretty much toast. It comes on, menus work and everything, but it won't pick up a single signal. So, I think the tuner portion is fried. Hopefully BB will take it back in exchange for a new unit.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #748 of 2451 Old 03-31-2008, 12:01 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting to note from the photos that the circuit boards were designed to support a smart antenna controller, but the parts were left off. Maybe they'll be included in a later, more expensive version that also fixes the audio.
post #749 of 2451 Old 03-31-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

Cool. I always wondered what the screws that hold it together look like!

Doesn't that belong on a THREAD of its own?
post #750 of 2451 Old 03-31-2008, 12:27 PM

Just received a coupon. Please give me a recommendation for the best $40 box for my mom's 20" sony. thanks

The following is the list of approved CECBs

AMTC AT-2016

AccessHD DTA1010U

AccessHD DTA1010D

AccessHD DTA1020U

AccessHD DTA1020D

Apex DT1001

Apex DT1002

Artec T3APro

Artec T3A

CASTi CAX-01

COSHIP N9900T

Channel Master CM-7000

DENCA NL8119

DENCA NL8118

DIGITAL STREAM DSP7500T

DIGITAL STREAM D2A1D10

DIGITAL STREAM DTX9900

DIGITAL STREAM D2A1D20

DIGITAL STREAM DSP6500R

DIGITAL STREAM DSP7700T*

DIGITAL STREAM DX8700*

ECHOSTAR TR-40*

Fuyai ATSC 630

GE 22729

GE 22730

Goodmind DTA900

Goodmind DTA1000

Goodmind DTA980

Gridlink GLT-300

Gridlink GLT-200

Insignia NS-DXA1

Kingbox K8V8
Kingbox K8V1

Lasonic LTR-260

Lasonic LTA-260

MAG CCB7707

Magnavox TB100MW9

Magnavox TB-100MG9*

MaxMedia MMDTVB03

MicroGEM MG2000

Microprose MPI-500

Mustek MAT-K50

OLEVIA DTA100

Philco TB150HH9*

Philco TB100HH9*

RCA DTA 800A

RCA DTA800B1

RCA DTA 800B

SVA DAC100

Sansonic FT300RT

Sansonic FT300A

Skardin DTR-0727

Synergy Global Supply SYN2009

TATUNG TDB3000

Tivax STB-T9

Tunbow Electronics E60010

VENTURER STB7766G

WINEGARD RC-DT09

ZINWELL ZAT-970

ZINWELL ZAT-856

Zenith DTT900

Zentech DF2000

Zinwell ZAT-857

Zinwell ZAT-756A

*The manufacturer has indicated that these models are capable of passing analog signals through to the TV set.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page