Zenith (LG) DTT900 CECB - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #91 of 2451 Old 12-31-2007, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I applied also. I called 888-388-2009 and it said my application was approved. Just call press 1 then 2 2 then 1 enter the Reference number the site gave you on the page to print out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2451 Old 01-01-2008, 06:45 AM

Liked: 10
Heres a list of release dates for some of the boxes.
add www
energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=dta.pr_dta
or here
energystar.gov/ia/products/prod_lists/DTAs_prod_list.xls

Website was not responding...called on the phone...coupon will be sent in feb.
post #93 of 2451 Old 01-01-2008, 07:22 AM

Are any of these tuners too? Or just a converter box?

post #94 of 2451 Old 01-01-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Tuner = convertor box in this context. ATSC tuner with RF modulator, analog L/R audio out, composite video out, and optionally s-video out. Nothing else, maybe another set of audios. Nothing digital output.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #95 of 2451 Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I tried the website approach first at: https://www.dtv2009.gov .

I filled out the web form to apply for my coupons but each time, when I submitted the completed form, I received the following error:

Quote:

An unexpected error has occurred and has been logged... Redirected in 3 seconds...

Perhaps it's my firewall and security software doing its job.

After 3 tries I gave up and used the phone approach. Once I got to the recording to actually apply, the recorded voice knew my name and address before I gave any info!

... And I have Caller ID Blocking and an unlisted number!

Kind of spooky when the feds know who's calling before you identify yourself.

I followed the voice recognition prompts and all went smoothly and my application was approved and I received my confirmation Reference number.

Avio
post #96 of 2451 Old 01-01-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by troydog View Post

I applied also. I called 888-388-2009 and it said my application was approved. Just call press 1 then 2 2 then 1 enter the Reference number the site gave you on the page to print out.

I just signed up for the coupon. Does it matter that some of my TVs are on cable. It only gave me two options to check with the second option being no TVs on cable/satellite.
I tried the 888 number to check my status but it said no one was available and to call back later to check the status.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #97 of 2451 Old 01-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I just signed up for the coupon. Does it matter that some of my TVs are on cable. It only gave me two options to check with the second option being no TVs on cable/satellite.

Did you try answering "Yes" to the cable/satellite question? If you said no, then you lied to the government. Shame on you. Expect to see black helicopters buzzing your house and men in black knocking on you door sometime in the near future!

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

post #98 of 2451 Old 01-01-2008, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I tried the 888 number to check my status but it said no one was available and to call back later to check the status.

In the first distribution of coupons you are allowed to subscribe to cable or satellite for one or more of your TVs and request a coupon or two for your other secondary TVs that use OTA/antenna reception... Essentially anyone. The second distribution, if authorized by Congress, will be restricted to those who do not subscribe to cable, satellite, or pay TV service and only have OTA/antenna reception.

To check your application status go to:

https://www.dtv2009.gov/CheckStatus.aspx

Avio
post #99 of 2451 Old 01-01-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

I filled out the web form to apply for my coupons but each time, when I submitted the completed form, I received the following error:

Perhaps it's my firewall and security software doing its job.

After 3 tries I gave up and used the phone approach. Once I got to the recording to actually apply, the recorded voice knew my name and address before I gave any info!

... And I have Caller ID Blocking and an unlisted number!

Caller ID blocking does not work on any toll-free number. When the party at the other end is paying for the call, they have a right to know who's calling.

William Coleman
post #100 of 2451 Old 01-01-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I found this comment rather interesting
[ 35 ] To further prevent fraud, the Final Rule states that consumers may not sell, duplicate or tamper with the coupon.

Quoted from http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/frn...nalRule_2b.htm

Sounds like they are specifically trying to prevent ebay transactions of the coupons to me

post #101 of 2451 Old 01-01-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axatax View Post

What are these "converter boxes", ATSC OTA tuners? No component, or DVI/HDMI? Firewire?

They take an OTA digital signal from an ATSC tuner (like an old antenna, and hopefully analog cable as well via QAM) and convert it to an analog RF signal for standard TVs. So nothing fancy-- the only ports you need are ANT IN, and ANT OUT. Think of it as a digital tuner box for old TVs.
post #102 of 2451 Old 01-01-2008, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

I found this comment rather interesting
[ 35 ] To further prevent fraud, the Final Rule states that consumers may not sell, duplicate or tamper with the coupon.

Quoted from http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/frn...nalRule_2b.htm

Sounds like they are specifically trying to prevent ebay transactions of the coupons to me

So what? Get the coupon, buy the converter, resell on eBay for a small profit. They can't stop that from happening because a coupon is not necessary to buy the converters.
post #103 of 2451 Old 01-02-2008, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder how long before the coupons make it to eBay.
post #104 of 2451 Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 AM

"Are any of these tuners too? Or just a converter box?"
I think the real question I'd like to know are the same...from what I can tell from the instructions and from what you guys are discussing it sounds like this is a STB (Set Top Box) and not a real "converter" (something giving me conversion of the whole band to my TV). So what I am really trying to get to is, on my VCR, how is my VCR going to know how to change the channel on the STB and record the right information from the right channel? If there is no provision for this, then someone screwed up in the government and should allow more coupons to relace VCR's to HD-VCR and / or DVR devices. Any good thoughts on this or are us VCR people who spend their life recording and then watching toast?
post #105 of 2451 Old 01-02-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Your VCR will probably not be able to change these channels. The best way to think of these is as a VCR, without the tape capability.

How you will use these boxes - tune your (analog reception device) to channel 3/4, turn on this convertor box, and use the convertor box to tune in the digital channels. I would not expect them to have a "program timer"

SO, you might want to start looking for a VCR replacement if you plan on doing timed recordings from OTA sources after analog goes dark - one that has it's own builtin ATSC tuner and you can program recordings from that.

post #106 of 2451 Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

I would not expect them to have a "program timer"

SO, you might want to start looking for a VCR replacement if you plan on doing timed recordings from OTA sources after analog goes dark - one that has it's own builtin ATSC tuner and you can program recordings from that.

But, then again, they may have a program timer that works with the EPG, like the Samsung DTB-H260F.
It appears there will be at least a dozen or so bozes on the market, and that would be one feature that would make me choose one box over another.

post #107 of 2451 Old 01-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman630 View Post

I think the real question I'd like to know are the same...from what I can tell from the instructions and from what you guys are discussing it sounds like this is a STB (Set Top Box) and not a real "converter" (something giving me conversion of the whole band to my TV). So what I am really trying to get to is, on my VCR, how is my VCR going to know how to change the channel on the STB and record the right information from the right channel? If there is no provision for this, then someone screwed up in the government and should allow more coupons to relace VCR's to HD-VCR and / or DVR devices. Any good thoughts on this or are us VCR people who spend their life recording and then watching toast?

The Digital Stream box has an IR extender, so there is a chance your VCR or DVD recorder may be able to control it, the same way you can control a cable box. Probably not the sub-channels, but at least the main channels.
To timer record from sub-channels, you will probably need a STB with a timer feature - something to look for when you compare boxes.

post #108 of 2451 Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 PM

Well thats all well and good but, the spec for the coupon boxes does not cover any other function. Other than that of being an ATSC Tuner to upgrade an Analog TV's NTSC tuner. So, hmm some of the other options for boxes maybe do that but, I am sure that would be a non-eligible box since it would be outside of the specs for the coupon class of boxes.
Spec of boxes is on the ntia site under dtvcoupon DTVmanufacturers.pdf
The nice Full Eligibility Criteria PDF details all the specs for the boxes
and what qualify for a $40 copon.
post #109 of 2451 Old 01-02-2008, 01:12 PM

I have an older Sony progressive scan tube in my basement, and I noticed the Micro Prose tuner appears to perhaps support 480p:

http://www.microprosesystems.com/dtv.htm

Quote:

Features:
* 480P Resolution

Is this possible through s-video, or is this just a misprint?

That box looks gigantic though
post #110 of 2451 Old 01-02-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley-SEA View Post

I'm considering the LG/Zenith box for the hamshack to replace an older USD (Hisense) box and *not* requesting a coupon (those coupons should go to those that need them).

Could someone explain or point me to a site that explains the differences between 4th, 5th and 6th gen chips?

I have a few of the Hisense USD boxes and they work great. However, I'm wondering what I'm missing or what is different with the new LG chips.

Also, if the Hisense is "older", what generation chip does it use?
post #111 of 2451 Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

[snip]

Kind of spooky when the feds know who's calling before you identify yourself.

I had no trouble with the website, although I was trying to hedge my bets as to the number of boxes we could get, thinking perhaps my GF (who lives with me) might be eligible for two of her own if her address was slightly different. So I tried to say I live in Apt. 1 (of my townhouse), but the web form knew there were no apartments at that address!

-Chris
post #112 of 2451 Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

I wonder how long before the coupons make it to eBay.

The coupons themselves are only good for 90 days, are only worth $40 and since you had to supply an address to get them are probably traceable to whoever requested them.
I don't think that many coupons will show up on Ebay.

On the other hand you could always buy a converter box at a discount with a coupon and put it up on Ebay.
post #113 of 2451 Old 01-02-2008, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 View Post

Could someone explain or point me to a site that explains the differences between 4th, 5th and 6th gen chips?

This LG April 2007 Press Release provides some minimal comparison between the 5th and 6th gen chips. It also suggests that they will use the 6th-Gen Chipset in converter boxes:

Quote:

Press Release
LG Electronics USA, Inc.

Release date: April 17, 2007

LG Electronics Launches Sixth-Generation ATSC Digital TV Broadcast Receiver Chipset
http://news.thomasnet.com/companystory/516849

... Digital-to-analog converter boxes planned for introduction next year (for analog TVs to continue to receive free, over-the-air broadcasts after Feb. 17, 2009, when all U.S. broadcasting is digital) also will benefit from the low- cost, high-performance chipset. ...

Avio
post #114 of 2451 Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, the 4th generation chips are lousy no matter what brand you get. The 5th generation in LG or Samsung flavors have had very good reviews. LG is considered the best. The 6th LG chip, LG claims, is even better. Exactly why it is better only LG knows for sure. There is no way anyone can explain to you a trade secret that LG does not share with the world. They are not going to publish the schematic on the Web. I just wish LG made a real full HD tuner with it and not just a cheap converter box. My 3rd or 4th generation ATI chip in my RPTV is just not good enough for the task at hand.

By the way, it is my suspicion that the US Government will have millions of left-over coupons. I do not think the demand will be that great, and I think allot of people will get them and never cash them in on a box.

IB
post #115 of 2451 Old 01-03-2008, 12:49 PM

does anyone know how to get ahold of maxmedia? like a tech support of customer service?
post #116 of 2451 Old 01-03-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman630 View Post

those who depend on VCRs today will either be wiped out by a giant meteorite falling from space or, most likely, they will have to get a newer DVD recorder with a digital tuner or learn about the newest thing on the market in the past 10 years: the DVR, often referred to as a TiVo.
post #117 of 2451 Old 01-03-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAZAM! View Post

does anyone know how to get ahold of maxmedia? like a tech support of customer service?

Here's their contact webpage:

http://maxmedia-usa.com/index.php?op...id=2&Itemid=33

Avio
post #118 of 2451 Old 01-03-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Zoran-Powered Apex Digital Converter Box Gains NTIA Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBusiness.com View Post

SUNNYVALE, CA, Jan 03, 2008 (MARKET WIRE via COMTEX) -- Zoran Corporation (NASDAQ: ZRAN) announced that its SupraHD 741 processor-powered Apex Digital ATSC Converter Box was approved by the U.S. Government's National Telecommunications and Infrastructure Administration (NTIA) for use in the Coupon-Eligible Converter Box program supporting the U.S. digital broadcast conversion. ...

Read the whole article:
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/i...422668_12.html

Avio
post #119 of 2451 Old 01-03-2008, 07:49 PM

Liked: 14
EngagetHD has a post on pricing of the Zenith box. http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/03...x-gets-priced/
post #120 of 2451 Old 01-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone seen the eligible boxes in local brick and mortar stores yet?
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page