Zenith (LG) DTT900 CECB - Page 41 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1201 of 2445 Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those who want to try it here are the plans, I made up for the Zenith Audio Modification. This is revision 3-C. This version works fairly well and will reduce the left channel problem quite a bit. I tested it on my Yamaha 5.1 home theater system. The amount that it helps has to do with how much you have your treble cranked on your AVR reciever. I have mine maxed out and also use an EQ to add even more treble and the results were good. Give it a try and if you want to post your results here do so.

This modification is easy if you know what your doing.

Please read all the disclaimers before trying it, good luck and Enjoy.

http://www.themusicworkshopchicago.c...ial/zenith.htm

Note: if you downloaded this manual earlier on 5/4/2008 you may want to re download it. It has been updated with more information and pictures for easier modification.

Mad Scientist :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 2445 Old 05-04-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvropro View Post

... This modification is easy if you know what your doing. ...

Looks doable. Thanks very much for your analysis of the issue and for sharing your prototype.

Avio
post #1203 of 2445 Old 05-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

Looks doable. Thanks very much for your analysis of the issue and for sharing your prototype.

Avio

When your done post your results. I kept it simple, it's only a passive device so it can only do so much, but what it does is pretty good. An active device with op amps could be better but that would get too involved for most.

Enjoy

post #1204 of 2445 Old 05-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When your done post your results. I kept it simple, it's only a passive device so it can only do so much, but what it does is pretty good. An active device with op amps could be better but that would get too involved for most.

Enjoy

I will try your method after I get that box. Thanks.

Did you it not going through your theater system and EQ?

Are you going to try and put together an active device?
post #1205 of 2445 Old 05-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post

I will try your method after I get that box. Thanks.

Did you it not going through your theater system and EQ?

Are you going to try and put together an active device?

If you run the RCA audio out through a tv set and not a HTR you will probably have better results yet since it's frequency response is limited and can mask the original problem to some degree. The original problem is because the audio chip HF equalization on the left channel has been boosted too much, which causes the anomaly. My rolloff filter attenuates the high end to flatten that boost back down. I went as aggresive as I could. Any more rolloff and I would be hurting the fidelity of the left channel. So I had to look for a happy medium.

I have no plans right now to build an active device. That's not a quick design since you have to use op amps and find VCC that will support it in the Zenith. The passive device gets the job done for now.

post #1206 of 2445 Old 05-04-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

When your done post your results. I kept it simple, it's only a passive device so it can only do so much, but what it does is pretty good. ...

I probably will not be the first to attempt to build your cool little mod. However, I'm reposting a photo gallery that has been mentioned many times in this thread. The photo of the underside of the motherboard I think will be particularly helpful to those who give this mod a try.

30 hi-res photos of the DTT900 completely dissected!
nuxx.net's Photo Gallery
http://www.nuxx.net/gallery/v/acquir...zenith_dtt900/

Hi-Res version of above photo:
Big! 3234 x 2156 pixels. 4404882 bytes
http://www.nuxx.net/gallery/d/72618-2/IMG_0885.jpg

Avio
post #1207 of 2445 Old 05-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I probably will not be the first to attempt to build your cool little mod. However, I'm reposting a photo gallery that has been mentioned many times in this thread. The photo of the underside of the motherboard I think will be particularly helpful to those who give this mod a try.

30 hi-res photos of the DTT900 completely dissected!
nuxx.net's Photo Gallery
http://www.nuxx.net/gallery/v/acquir...zenith_dtt900/

Hi-Res version of above photo:
Big! 3234 x 2156 pixels. 4404882 bytes
http://www.nuxx.net/gallery/d/72618-2/IMG_0885.jpg

Avio

I updated the manual and now include the bottom PCB shot with connection points marked. I also added a picture with what screws have to be removed to take the pc out. I put a bit more info in the manual, plus theory of operation. So I think everything is covered. All I'll add here is, when removing the plastic front be careful when unsnaping it, you don't want to crack the snaps.

I did some testing on the NBC nightly news tonight and there only a faint hint of the noise a few times here and there, and my high end is cranked. If you weren't looking for it you probably wouldn't even notice it. So it's a winner from what I see so far. If I push the rolloff filter anymore the normal high end will suffer and we don't want to do that.

(EDITED) It seems that Im listening for the "s" sound too much. I was comparing my analog OTA channels to the Zenith digital version and I seem to hear the same "s" sound in the analog. That means that the anomaly must be gone from the Zenith more than I first thought with my mod.

Thank's for posting the link to those pictures. I had them bookmarked but couldn't find it when I was putting the first draft of the manual together.

post #1208 of 2445 Old 05-04-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh5916 View Post

With a week off, I decided to call Zenith today and inquired about the audio issue with the converter. As expected, it did no good. Joel, the rep that I spoke with, was very nice, but he didn't have a clue about the problem, nor did he have a clue as to who might have an answer.

When I asked if he was aware of any service bulletins or recalls that might have been issued, the response was that, being in customer service, they would be the last to know. No kidding...that was the answer.

everyone should call. they should recieve a flood of calls on this. its so annoying to hear that sibiliant sound every time i turn on the damn box.
post #1209 of 2445 Old 05-05-2008, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terapin View Post

everyone should call. they should recieve a flood of calls on this. its so annoying to hear that sibiliant sound every time i turn on the damn box.

We could call but I don't see LG jumping on replacing tons of converters out there. Especially when they have our money already. That's why I took it upon myself to resolve this. Big business don't care about the consumer today, especially on a $20.00 item. It's all about the bottom line only.

post #1210 of 2445 Old 05-05-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

We could call but I don't see LG jumping on replacing tons of converters out there. Especially when they have our money already. That's why I took it upon myself to resolve this. Big business don't care about the consumer today, especially on a $20.00 item. It's all about the bottom line only.

Believe what you will but when I called Zenith sent out prepaid shipping lables to send my boxes in and I had new boxes within a week. I am glad you had fun in "fixing" your boxes and voiding your warranty.
post #1211 of 2445 Old 05-05-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Believe what you will but when I called Zenith sent out prepaid shipping lables to send my boxes in and I had new boxes within a week. I am glad you had fun in "fixing" your boxes and voiding your warranty.

But, are your new boxes fixed with the new LG chip or do you still have the problem, i.e., open the box and report the chip label.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1212 of 2445 Old 05-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Im glad Zenith worked with you. I hope your new boxes are fixed versions. If they just sent you more from there production run... well who knows? Mine is fixed If I have to I can unsolider 3 wires from the bottom of the board and take the unit back to Radio Shack for exchange if needed.

post #1213 of 2445 Old 05-05-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im glad Zenith worked with you. I hope your new boxes are fixed versions. If they just sent you more from there production run... well who knows? Mine is fixed If I have to I can unsolider 3 wires from the bottom of the board and take the unit back to Radio Shack for exchange if needed.

I don't have any sound issues and I have the box hooked up to a high quality external sound system.
post #1214 of 2445 Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't have any sound issues and I have the box hooked up to a high quality external sound system.

Great, Maybe you can take the top off and post the chip number for those who would like that information. Or at least give the manufactured month and box number so people can see if they are sending out fixed units to the stores yet.

I like working with electronics, and I knew ahead of time that I was going to get a bad box when I bought it last week, mine was made in March. I had to use my second coupon up since it would have run out in a couple weeks. So I didn't have the luxury to wait for LG to fix these. In all other ways the Zenith is a well made product with nice features. And I enjoyed the challange to fix it. If others here with an electronic background wish to add my mod to there broken box more power to them. I did all the R&D and design and wrote a manual to make it easy.

Which ever way you choose you can be a winner.

post #1215 of 2445 Old 05-05-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by yours truly View Post

Right now my Zenith DTT900 is connected to a TV that doesn't really need it, but where it's convenient for me to use it to check on the reception every couple of days.

WWME is carried digitally on two channels in Chicago: on the WWME-LD low-power signal on 23.1 (UHF 39) and as a subchannel of WCIU-DT on 26.2 (UHF 27).

This morning sometime between 11 and noon CDT every time I pressed the DISPLAY button while the box was tuned to 23.1 or 26.2, it shut off instead: not immediately as if I had pressed POWER, but over about three seconds' time the video would freeze while the audio continued, the audio would stop, the screen would go blank, and the box's signal light would change from blue to red.

The DISPLAY key worked correctly on every other station that the box receives.  It misbehaved only when the box was tuned to WWME, and it did the same thing on both stations where WWME appears!

I had to go out on some business and some errands, but when I got home just after 2 PM CDT, the problem was gone and everything was fine.

After behaving itself during "Hawaii Five-O" for the rest of last week, the box did it again today ... but I'm going to continue this only in the Chicago OTA thread; see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post13799082 if you're interested.
post #1216 of 2445 Old 05-05-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great, Maybe you can take the top off and post the chip number for those who would like that information. Or at least give the manufactured month and box number so people can see if they are sending out fixed units to the stores yet.

I like working with electronics, and I knew ahead of time that I was going to get a bad box when I bought it last week, mine was made in March. I had to use my second coupon up since it would have run out in a couple weeks. So I didn't have the luxury to wait for LG to fix these. In all other ways the Zenith is a well made product with nice features. And I enjoyed the challange to fix it. If others here with an electronic background wish to add my mod to there broken box more power to them. I did all the R&D and design and wrote a manual to make it easy.

Which ever way you choose you can be a winner.

These replacement boxes have a February date but the have a sticker that says "buffer replaced" if that means anything. These boxes were custom boxes that Zenith is sending out to people who complain.
post #1217 of 2445 Old 05-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

These replacement boxes have a February date but the have a sticker that says "buffer replaced" if that means anything. These boxes were custom boxes that Zenith is sending out to people who complain.

"Buffer Replaced" Sounds like the buffer amp was replaced. Since from what I understand the EQ curve was too hot on the left channel, they probably replaced it with a updated EQ curve replacement IC. I'll bet it's IC 202.

post #1218 of 2445 Old 05-05-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

TvroPRO, Mad Scientist:

I got to thinking... Could your prototype design be implemented outside the box without opening it up, pulling out the mobo, and soldering into existing audio output connection points?

Could two MonoPrice Y-Splitters at 57 cents each (or equivalent) be adapted to make the Zenith DTT-900 Audio Modification? Tell me straight forward if I'm missing something very obvious, or if there's another reason why this idea will not work. Here's my idea:

Buy two Y-Splitters and your list of parts in your documented plan.

HOME > CABLES > RCA Audio Cables > RCA Plug/2 RCA Jack cable - 6 inches
* Y splitter cable for connecting one monaural audio source to two monaural inputs.
* Use a pair for stereo connections.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Cut off the white female jack on the right red splitter and trim the leads as "pig tails" with positive and ground wires exposed, leaving the black male end to plug into the right red output of the DTT900.

Cut off the red female jack on the left white splitter and trim the leads as "pig tails" with positive and ground wires exposed, leaving the black male end to plug into the left white output of the DTT900.

Build your PCB circuit and wire according to your directions. Enclose in small metal or plastic box, or wrap with electrical tape.

Is this idea wrongly conceived or will this work?

Avio
post #1219 of 2445 Old 05-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

TvroPRO, Mad Scientist:

I got to thinking... Could your prototype design be implemented outside the box without opening it up, pulling out the mobo, and soldering into existing audio output connection points?

Could two MonoPrice Y-Splitters at 57 cents each (or equivalent) be adapted to make the Zenith DTT-900 Audio Modification? Tell me straight forward if I'm missing something very obvious, or if there's another reason why this idea will not work. Here's my idea:

Buy two Y-Splitters and your list of parts in your documented plan.

HOME > CABLES > RCA Audio Cables > RCA Plug/2 RCA Jack cable - 6 inches
* Y splitter cable for connecting one monaural audio source to two monaural inputs.
* Use a pair for stereo connections.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Cut off the white female jack on the right red splitter and trim the leads as "pig tails" with positive and ground wires exposed, leaving the black male end to plug into the right red output of the DTT900.

Cut off the red female jack on the left white splitter and trim the leads as "pig tails" with positive and ground wires exposed, leaving the black male end to plug into the left white output of the DTT900.

Build your PCB circuit and wire according to your directions. Enclose in small metal or plastic box, or wrap with electrical tape.

Is this idea wrongly conceived or will this work?

Avio

Sure you can put my mod outside the box. It don't have to go inside. It's just looks more factory that way. Get a small plastic project box and put the PCB in there, and you'll be good to go.

(EDITED) You could get two RCA extention cables cut them down the middle and connect everything inside the box to the mod PCB. This can be done by those worried about voiding there warranty.

I also did some fine tuning to the filter circuit and added another capacitor so I updated the manual. You should build this version. Have Fun

post #1220 of 2445 Old 05-06-2008, 06:30 AM

Just so you guys know, the DTT901 will have analog pass through.

Thanks,

Matt
post #1221 of 2445 Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 AM

I wonder if you automatically get the better audio with the RF pass through? Is the DTT901 with pass through available yet?
post #1222 of 2445 Old 05-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

robandjeanne most likely the audio will be fixed in the DTT901

You can also get a replacement of the existing DTT900 for one that has the "buffer replaced" sticker
Quote:

post #1223 of 2445 Old 05-06-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandjeanne View Post

I wonder if you automatically get the better audio with the RF pass through? Is the DTT901 with pass through available yet?

Evidently the audio issue was fixed in March on DTT900 as many report no audio issues.
DTT901 is not available at this time & you can expect the upgrade in it.
post #1224 of 2445 Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandjeanne View Post

A week ago it was posted to be 4-6 weeks out, which would make it after my coupon expiration (maybe).

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1225 of 2445 Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVette View Post

Evidently the audio issue was fixed in March on DTT900 as many report no audio issues.
DTT901 is not available at this time & you can expect the upgrade in it.

I just got a March 2008 box last week and it had the problem.

post #1226 of 2445 Old 05-06-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I just got a March 2008 box last week and it had the problem.

As it should, since the 901 boxes are not out yet.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1227 of 2445 Old 05-06-2008, 01:15 PM

We don't have a date as to when the change was made in March, a serial no. of when the change was made would be better.
post #1228 of 2445 Old 05-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

As it should, since the 901 boxes are not out yet.

I thought I read this:

"Evidently the audio issue was fixed in March on DTT900 as many report no audio issues."

Mine was made in March but still has the problem.

post #1229 of 2445 Old 05-06-2008, 01:23 PM
QAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

robandjeanne most likely the audio will be fixed in the DTT901

You can also get a replacement of the existing DTT900 for one that has the "buffer replaced" sticker

Has anyone successfully returned an Insignia (Zenith clone) CECB for the "buffer replaced" fix. Where do you send the Insignia box for repairs, anyway. Just asking.
post #1230 of 2445 Old 05-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post

Has anyone successfully returned an Insignia (Zenith clone) CECB for the "buffer replaced" fix. Where do you send the Insignia box for repairs, anyway. Just asking.

If there is no telephone number in the manual. I would call Best Buy and ask them since they sell the Insignia.

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page