Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #211 of 2451 Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Which makes it ambiguous....enough for any lawyer to drive a bulldozer over it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2451 Old 01-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why doesn't Walmart mention whether the Magnavox is a CECB on their website?

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #213 of 2451 Old 01-28-2008, 02:14 PM

The ambiguity is probably why it got approved in the first place. Still, NTIA could have forced them to downmix to 2 channels to make it eligible.
post #214 of 2451 Old 01-28-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigberts View Post

Wal-Mart already has the Magnavox TB100MW9 on its store shelves. There were at least 12 on the shelf today in Fairfax, VA. You can see the box on their web site at:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8283870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post

Interesting that digital audio output is listed as a feature, even though this is supposedly prohibited in coupon-eligible boxes.

If the quote below is correct, I think what we may have here is a plain old misprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo News & PC World View Post

Philips will show three models at CES: one under the company's Magnavox brand, and two under its Philco brand. The three models will be priced between $59 and $69, says Philips. The Magnavox TB100MW9 DTV Digital-to-Analog Converter also has one set of composite audio/video outputs, offers trilingual (English, French, and Spanish) on-screen setup, supports V-Chip parental controls and digital closed captioning, is EnergyStar compliant, and comes with its own remote control.

The Philco TB100HH9 DTV Digital-to-Analog Converter is an entry-level model that's identical to the Magnavox in features and specs. The step-up model, the Philco TB150HH9 DTV Digital-to-Analog Converter, adds digital audio output via coaxial audio ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2008...pcworld/140751

However, the quote does say that the Philco TB150HH9 has digital audio out via coax and this model is on the CECB list. Now we're back to the Eligibility question!

Avio
post #215 of 2451 Old 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM

The display model of the Magnavox TB100MW9 at Wal-Mart only had RF output + RCA Audio (R/W) & RCA composite video (Y). No digital outputs were on the display model. I believe that the Wal-Mart website has incorrect information on the converter box.
post #216 of 2451 Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Walmart will also be carrying the RCA DTA800: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8343230

post #217 of 2451 Old 01-30-2008, 06:37 PM

Too bad the two boxes listed either have wrong info. Which really doesn't surprise me at all. Also being that they are sorted under DVD ACCESSORIES?
Well, that great gee would think they don't want people to find the boxes at all? Ah well maybe better in the next two weeks?
post #218 of 2451 Old 01-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captylor View Post

...they are sorted under DVD ACCESSORIES?

Player and Recorder Accessories. I suppose in a round-about way you could consider a CECB a DVD recorder accessory, if you are using it to record with your analog tuner equipped DVD recorder after 2/17/09.

post #219 of 2451 Old 01-31-2008, 01:36 PM

Best Buy has the Insignia converter box on their website:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1199495190393

Radio Shack has the Zenith
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

...hanging near the rafters of Gampel like ledge rats.
post #220 of 2451 Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM

RE:Zenith box DTT900

Its listed at $69, versus most of the other boxes $49-59. In layman's terms and based on the specs, what makes it worth more than the other so far?

post #221 of 2451 Old 01-31-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Good news. Now we need them to start showing up in the stores, and the coupons to start coming to people.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #222 of 2451 Old 01-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledgerat View Post

RE:Zenith box DTT900

Its listed at $69, versus most of the other boxes $49-59. In layman's terms and based on the specs, what makes it worth more than the other so far?

Perhaps the marketer who sets the price reads this forum and know's that alot of people want to try the DTT900 since they think it may have LG's 6th gen chip.
Or, maybe the higher cost is an indicator it has the 6th gen chip.

Anyone willing to buy one and open it up to confirm?

post #223 of 2451 Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question about February 2009:

When my friend buys one of these digital converter boxes, and Feb 2009 comes and goes, will all network broadcasts be 16:9? Are the networks planning on stopping their 4:3 equivalent stations?

Anybody know?

Thanks,
-barry
post #224 of 2451 Old 02-01-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

Perhaps the marketer who sets the price reads this forum and know's that alot of people want to try the DTT900 since they think it may have LG's 6th gen chip.
Or, maybe the higher cost is an indicator it has the 6th gen chip.

Anyone willing to buy one and open it up to confirm?

Whats the big advantage of the 6th gen chip?

post #225 of 2451 Old 02-01-2008, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

They go to 11.
post #226 of 2451 Old 02-01-2008, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the most part, each new generation of the chip has improved a tuner's ability to reject multipath problems. Can make a very big difference when there isn't line-of-sight between the transmitting antenna and the antenna at home receiving the signal.

I live in Manhattan - I use a Silver Sensor indoor antenna, and although I live on the 22nd floor of a high rise, am surrounded by much taller buildings.

My Sony HD300 receiver has a 4th generation chip, while my Sharp television set's tuner has 5th generation - and there's a "world" of difference. The Silver Sensor's signal is split between the two tuners. While the Sony cannot provide a given signal, the Sharp brings it in rock steady. And this is the case with many channels.

I can only imagine the improvement that will be made by the 6th generation chip!
post #227 of 2451 Old 02-01-2008, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by margoba View Post

Question about February 2009:

When my friend buys one of these digital converter boxes, and Feb 2009 comes and goes, will all network broadcasts be 16:9? Are the networks planning on stopping their 4:3 equivalent stations?

I don't know why anything would change from the current state. The "main" channels will be 16:9, but sometimes carry 4:3 content (thus the importance of having a "zoom" mode on converter boxes).

Incidentally, the aspect ratio issue is sure to confuse and frustrate people more than any other aspect of the digital transition...and sell a lot of new TVs.
post #228 of 2451 Old 02-01-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post

They go to 11.

...ok Nigel

post #229 of 2451 Old 02-01-2008, 02:06 PM

The RCA just looks cheap I know there going for an older generation but I am only 28yo but with 4 tv's in the house I can't afford to replace them with a brand new HDTV.

O.K. Is it me or does the Zenith and the Insignia look like the same box right down to the remote control? Look real close!

Zenith

Insignia

Insignia Remote Control
post #230 of 2451 Old 02-01-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot55 View Post

The RCA just looks cheap I know there going for an older generation but I am only 28yo but with 4 tv's in the house I can't afford to replace them with a brand new HDTV.

O.K. Is it me or does the Zenith and the Insignia look like the same box right down to the remote control? Look real close!

Zenith

Insignia

Insignia Remote Control

Wouldn't be surprised at all if it were made by LG for Best Buy.

LG manufactures a lot of products for other manufacturers.

In fact, my Sony HD300 Receiver is actually an LG product.
post #231 of 2451 Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot55 View Post

... O.K. Is it me or does the Zenith and the Insignia look like the same box right down to the remote control? Look real close! ...

This MS Excel Spreadsheet file from EnergyStar.gov confirms that the Insignia and the Zenith are both manufactured by LG and have many of the same specs:

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/product..._prod_list.xls

Here's the HTML version from Google:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...nk&cd=17&gl=us

Avio
post #232 of 2451 Old 02-01-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

74% of Consumers Who Know About Digital TV Transition have Major Misconceptions, Survey Finds

January 30, 2008

Quote:
Washington, DC There is major confusion among consumers about the looming transition to digital television (DTV), according to a new survey from Consumer Reports National Research Center. Seventy four percent of respondents who said they were aware of the upcoming transition had serious misconceptions of its impact.

The survey also found over one-third (36%) of Americans living in households with TVs are entirely unaware of the government-mandated transition to digital broadcasting slated for February 2009.

"Confusion about the digital television transition will cost consumers a lot of money for equipment they may not want or need, said Joel Kelsey, policy analyst for Consumers Union, the non profit publisher of Consumer Reports. Based on these survey results, it is now clear that the government and every media company that profits from people watching television must do whatever it takes to make sure consumers will keep getting broadcast TV without paying a dime more than necessary." ...

Read the full story:

http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/co...es/005383.html

Avio
post #233 of 2451 Old 02-01-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Broadcom Powers RCA Digital-to-Analog Converter Box in Support of the NTIA's Digital-to-Analog TV Coupon Program

Based on Broadcom(R) Digital TV Technology, the RCA DTA800B is Certified as an NTIA Coupon-Eligible Converter Box that Extends the Lives of Analog-Only TVs in the U.S.

January 28, 2008: 08:00 AM EST

Quote:
IRVINE, Calif., Jan. 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Broadcom Corporation , a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced that the RCA DTA800B digital-to-analog converter box utilizes a Broadcom(R) digital television (DTV) system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution designed specifically to facilitate the transition from analog-to-digital broadcasting. As part of the U.S. Department of Commerce's National Telecommunications and Information Administration's (NTIA's) digital-to-analog converter box program, the RCA DTA800B, powered by Broadcom DTV technology, has recently been certified as a "coupon-eligible converter box." ...

... Utilizing the Broadcom BCM3543 ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee) receiver, the RCA DTA800B converter box is designed to receive ATSC high definition television (HDTV) broadcasts and convert them to NTSC (National Television Systems Committee) signals. Designed in a 65 nanometer process technology, the BCM3543 SoC is a highly integrated, low power digital "television-on-a-chip" receiver that provides superior ATSC signal reception targeted at the NTIA's coupon-eligible "analog switch-off" converter box program. The BCM3543 features on-chip support to convert all ATSC standard and high definition inputs to 480i output formats for display on analog televisions. ...

Read the full story:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...28012008-1.htm

Avio
post #234 of 2451 Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. I wonder how the Broadcom chip stacks up to LG's? A small part of me hopes it performs worse 'cause that RCA box is friggin' ugly!
post #235 of 2451 Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And this tasty tidbit from the "Latest Information" on EZDigitalTV.com:

Quote:
We spoke to a representative from the NTIA, and she said "We do not have an on-line retailer to announce yet, but we are working on it."

http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/Converter_Box_Retailers.html

Avio
post #236 of 2451 Old 02-02-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios View Post

Interesting. I wonder how the Broadcom chip stacks up to LG's? A small part of me hopes it performs worse 'cause that RCA box is friggin' ugly!

Here's the description and tech specs of the Broadcom BCM3543 Chip:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcom.com View Post

BCM3543
ATSC Digital Receiver System-on-Chip

The BCM3543 is a highly integrated low-power solution combining the functionality of a complete ATSC-to-NTSC converter on a single chip. It provides superior Advanced Televisions Systems Committee (ATSC) signal reception and demodulation under both static and dynamic multipath conditions, with functionality targeted at National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) coupon-eligible converter box programs for analog switch off.

The BCM3543 is compatible with an ATSC antenna design available exclusively from Broadcom. The BCM3543 exclusive antenna provides a high-performance indoor solution that only requires a single cable interface, eliminating difficult and costly outdoor installations. The antenna control is seamlessly integrated into the BCM3543 user interface, eliminating the need for consumers to manually adjust the antenna position in order to receive optimal signal reception.

Features

* Complete digital-to-analog converter (DAC) System-On-Chip solution

* Integrated receivers include a ATSC 4-1024 QAM receiver, 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC) with internal AGC, all-digital clock and carrier recovery

* Superior ATSC signal reception and demodulation under both static and dynamic multipath conditions

* Full peripheral support eliminates the need for additional components including LED/Keypad, BSC/SPI master, IR receiver/blaster, PWM, and dual UARTs

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Cab...utions/BCM3543

2 page PDF Product Brief spec sheet with text & 2 block diagrams:
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/3543-PB04-R.pdf

Avio
post #237 of 2451 Old 02-02-2008, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally, a CECB appears on Amazon.com... No mention of whether Amazon or its other affiliate vendors will accept the Coupons.

Philco TB100HH9 D/A Converter
http://www.amazon.com/Philco-TB100HH...dp/B000YC8NYY/

Multiple Amazon Merchants offering this Converter Box:
* Includes Amazon w/Free Super Saver Shipping for $56.53
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000YC8NYY/

Avio
post #238 of 2451 Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

Here's the description and tech specs of the Broadcom BCM3543 Chip:

2 page PDF Product Brief spec sheet with text & 2 block diagrams:
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/3543-PB04-R.pdf

Avio

So nice of them to put in a QAM tuner. Let's hope manufacturers didn't bother disabling it.
post #239 of 2451 Old 02-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Don't jump to conclusions about the RCA box being able to decode QAM. I won't believe it until someone plugs their cable into one and confirms it.

post #240 of 2451 Old 02-02-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drla View Post

So nice of them to put in a QAM tuner. Let's hope manufacturers didn't bother disabling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

Don't jump to conclusions about the RCA box being able to decode QAM. I won't believe it until someone plugs their cable into one and confirms it.

Where in my post did I jump to that conclusion?
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page