Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #2461 of 2470 Old 12-17-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So the newer ones are better? I'm paying for a 3 mbps line I think thats guarnteed, but typically runs about 11-25 (though could go down to 5 at times).

Only 4 K's left in the area all a good distance from each other.

My dad's giving up his 901 for room I may test that one but it's still a May '08 date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2470 Old 12-17-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Well I don't know for sure but I'd think newer BRPs include more powerful microprocessors and such plus more memory (since buffering is a sucky issue).

Wow that's some impressive DSL performance out of 3 Mbps service. The best I ever measured before when I had 3 was nearly double. I just measured my 12 and it was 15, or at least I think it's supposed to be 12. It's AT&T U-verse although still wireline for about a mile to the fiber-optic terminal. Up until a few years ago was all wireline until they made me an offer to switch, I think trying to transition neighborhoods away from wireline unless it was a 'more U-verse services down the road' marketing ploy. Anyhow, I wonder why you have such wide variation, and variation within the variation? You shouldn't have any problem with video as long as it's operating in that upper range.

Are those rural K-Marts?

Your dad's 901 will make for an interesting test.

post #2463 of 2470 Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

That 901 was typically sitting on a low shelf in front of a hot water heater line for most of it's life, so likely no issues appeared.

I'm sorta guarnteed the 3mbps, though can run higher depening on the time of day ect, my main PC is so slow anyway likely wouldn't note the difference. (I think this may be a repackaged AT&T, I orrered the 1.5 mbps, they said it was unavailab... however they had a 3mbps opening available)

2 of the K-Marts (A Big K & not sure of the other) are within a few miles of (or in the) Cleveland City Proper,, the 2 Super K'-s out east are 25 & 55 miles outside respectevly.
post #2464 of 2470 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I remember you stated Wi-Fi DSL. Maybe you're on a wireless block of users that under heavy use only guarantees you 3 Mbps.

I guess the K-Mart issue is around here. When I search in Texas they're only far away in smaller cities. Of course there's plenty of Sears here (overlap), the K-Mart that was nearest me was down the street from a Sears.

post #2465 of 2470 Old Today, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

It comes into the house via the phone lines, & has a wireless Router/Modem? (??) that grey & white thing that says 2 Wire on it), has a LED that lights up when transmitting wireless. I actually monitor the speed on the laptop which I seldom use.

Believe it or not I was my depts IT person back in the Win 3.11/Win NT Days, the technology has far surpassed me & everything now seems to have so sort of "monthly fee" associated with it"

They closed 2 of the Sears Hardware stores years ago, I kinda miss them. One Sears in my area closing (in an upscale area)

Yet to go back & pick up the 901 yet.
post #2466 of 2470 Old Today, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah we have the same thing. When I went from wireline to U-verse they sent me the 2 Wire modem (wireline modem was one of those small paperback book size modems). Maybe it was to go from standard ADSL to the faster/higher bandwidth VDSL. And has the Wi-Fi transceiver built-in; I keep my eye on that light to tell if someone is trying to sneak in. There's three types/speed ranges of Wi-Fi, I believe my 2 Wire has the middle one. Gotta keep that in mind for the other end too (laptop, blu-ray, etc.). I'm still thinking a wired ethernet connection would be ideal for video, highest speed and no wireless interference (although most of the Wi-Fi speeds are sufficient unless trying to share too much).

Anyhow if you're wired in I don't see why you would have that much variation unless it's due to the Wi-Fi connection; maybe your fixed DSL speed is way high and the wireless is causing it to fluctuate (or your laptop is giving you bogus readings). Try this one on your PC:

http://www.att.com/speedtest/

There's also a page on improving speed. Last year one of their guys offered to rewire my attic run for free as part of customer performance improvement program, he said it might perform better with twisted pair vs. my old simple wireline cabling. I think really more to prevent interference. He wanted to do it right then but it was below freezing and I felt like I needed to be up there with him to show specifics about my attic, plus I was busy at the time. Probably too late now but it's running fine anyway (turns out he ran his test when the modem was off giving him bad results, I guess they think we leave them on 24/7).

Yeah recurring revenue is the name of the game these days (monthly fees). Even the products we buy are designed to keep us coming back for more.

Sounds like you lost Sears for K-Marts, opposite of here. Don't know if Sears stuff can be online shipped to store to K-Mart, I've had no luck trying the reverse. If you shop enough at both there's that free to cheap shipping program on Shop Your Way Rewards. I did it for the 90 day free part and it was nice. When it ended they offered me the year subscription for only $19 but I was kinda shopped out by then.

post #2467 of 2470 Old Today, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Yeah we have the same thing. When I went from wireline to U-verse they sent me the 2 Wire modem . Maybe it was to go from standard ADSL to the faster/higher bandwidth VDSL. And has the Wi-Fi transceiver built-in; I keep my eye on that light to tell if someone is trying to sneak in. There's three types/speed ranges of Wi-Fi, I believe my 2 Wire has the middle one. Gotta keep that in mind for the other end too (laptop, blu-ray, etc.). I'm still thinking a wired ethernet connection would be ideal for video, highest speed and no wireless interference (although most of the Wi-Fi speeds are sufficient unless trying to share too much).

Anyhow if you're wired in I don't see why you would have that much variation unless it's due to the Wi-Fi connection; maybe your fixed DSL speed is way high and the wireless is causing it to fluctuate (or your laptop is giving you bogus readings). Try this one on your PC:

http://www.att.com/speedtest/
I would like to free up the phone lines as AT&T is raising my landline every few months to drive me away,

One would think the hardwired is better unless you say what is true, & I'm getting a false reading on the laptop. My desktop status is always Connected but not online (??)

Strange I get higher wi-fi signals from all my neighbors, but only get 42% from my box in the next room & even lower downstairs.
post #2468 of 2470 Old Today, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I would like to free up the phone lines as AT&T is raising my landline every few months to drive me away,

One would think the hardwired is better unless you say what is true, & I'm getting a false reading on the laptop. My desktop status is always Connected but not online (??)

Strange I get higher wi-fi signals from all my neighbors, but only get 42% from my box in the next room & even lower downstairs.
A relative who works for mamma bell says they've already been told of job cuts by 2020. Ran into this 2012 article a while back. http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/11/...-cord-cutting/
So they're going to push us all to other forms of, easier to monitor, communication. Of course the money system will eventually need revamped to a DNA deposit system to get your pension check; of which I just read the government guarantee agency just announced many multi-payer pensions are going defunct. http://blog.aarp.org/2014/12/16/thos...Ga0/ZYFcgJCswU=

Well, OT I know...just a bit of Bob Cratchit Christmas Cheer
Just can't wait till the gov's ATSC 3.0 strips us of all our present TV-tech.

Merry Christmas All !!

Chris C
post #2469 of 2470 Old Today, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
A relative who works for mamma bell says they've already been told of job cuts by 2020. Ran into this 2012 article a while back. http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/11/...-cord-cutting/
So they're going to push us all to other forms of, easier to monitor, communication. Of course the money system will eventually need revamped to a DNA deposit system to get your pension check; of which I just read the government guarantee agency just announced many multi-payer pensions are going defunct. http://blog.aarp.org/2014/12/16/thos...Ga0/ZYFcgJCswU=

Well, OT I know...just a bit of Bob Cratchit Christmas Cheer
Just can't wait till the gov's ATSC 3.0 strips us of all our present TV-tech.

Merry Christmas All !!
There is a box basically that turns yur land line into a Cell, got this for the parents, but I need the DSL, & I'm reluctant to to use cordless phones exclusively (I still like my old black kitchen wall phone).. as to use your existing corded phones you must isolate the home network from Telco.

I'm in a very limited calling area so the no long distance would help too.

As far as my pension... stolen in the wake of 911, & the balance gone in 2007-08. Likely I won't live long enough to collect what is left (especially with our unaffordable Health Care System)

Wonder if I'll be around to see the demise of OTA?
post #2470 of 2470 Old Today, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Daughter has one, Wal-Mart she said. First time in 15 years her number hasn't changed on a Monthly basis.
I wouldn't mind paying for TV; just don't want to contribute to the stuff I won't watch. Make it all 'pay-per-view', and I could find an excuse to turn it off most the time.
I guess when OhBombYah gets done with the Country, there'll be little left but another 3rd world nation....if that. Of course, it started along time ago with globalism; ya can't sell the golden goose and expect to have eggs.

Chris C
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page