Zenith (LG) DTT900 CECB - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 53Likes
post #2551 of 2561 Old 06-12-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Snapped the front back on to my Insignia box. The case was actually bent, but I could still put the front back on.

Box still works great.
Floydage likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2561 Old 06-13-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
And after the front went back on, the buttons work fine as well. Didn't notice it until I turned it back on after a power outage last night...
Floydage likes this.
post #2553 of 2561 Old 06-25-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrench View Post
I get them from thrift stores.
I have yet to see a STB @ a thrift store, I found that unusual, thought many would be dumping them when they upgrade to a flat screen.... I guess that shows how many households are enslaved to cable or other pay services.
post #2554 of 2561 Old 06-25-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I also suspect the other avenues are too enticing since thrift stores get them via donations. Make a few bucks, PIP and/or recorder tuner, goes with the CRT to another room or garage, save as a backup tuner (quality is not job one anymore), hand-me-down to friends&relatives, or even donate on CL free section (the personal touch!). And I see CRTs for sale where they 'throw in a converter box' although I've felt it's really the other way around.

post #2555 of 2561 Old 06-27-2015, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I have yet to see a STB @ a thrift store, I found that unusual, thought many would be dumping them when they upgrade to a flat screen.... I guess that shows how many households are enslaved to cable or other pay services.
I have not found one in the past three months ,but the three months after Christmas I found seven converter boxes.I hesitated to buy a tivax and apex 250A,went back and they were gone,so I know im not the only one looking for these boxes
post #2556 of 2561 Old 06-28-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I hesitated to buy a tivax and apex 250A,went back and they were gone,so I know im not the only one looking for these boxes
I wouldn't mess with the 250A as folks here say they're problematic. Now the 502 is claimed to be the good one although that wasn't based on many users. The Apexs do have nice features, one of the most full-out boxes if they don't break or get real buggy.

Of course for $5...

post #2557 of 2561 Old 06-28-2015, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
I wouldn't mess with the 250A as folks here say they're problematic. Now the 502 is claimed to be the good one although that wasn't based on many users. The Apexs do have nice features, one of the most full-out boxes if they don't break or get real buggy.

Of course for $5...
Ithink the 250 was problematic,the 250A came out later.
post #2558 of 2561 Old 06-29-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ithink the 250 was problematic,the 250A came out later.
Seemed like all the 250 series were problematic but it's been a long time since I've been on any Apex threads. It also seemed like the last ones out were the worst, like a clearance issue.

post #2559 of 2561 Old 07-01-2015, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
You are lucky,i have a coby box that works but not with a universal remote.Maybe I need to drop it.
i also have a COBY converter box that refuses to work with a universal remote (maybe the IR sensor on the box itself is broken, and not the one on the original remote...)
post #2560 of 2561 Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Thrift stores in the Seattle area are not exactly "jam packed" with stacks of used CECBs but they definitely show up on the shelves. I have purchased four DTT 900 boxes at thrift stores in working order, as well as a couple of others, although like many here my primary television has an integrated ATSC tuner which displays HD. The drawback to buying a CECB at a thrift store is that 80% of the time, the remote control has been misplaced and if there's a detachable power cord it is missing. Some universal remotes from 2008-2010 will support the Zenith CECBs, but newer ones no longer have valid codes for CECBs. When all is said and done, if you want a standard-definition converter box for a pre-2007 television, you still will be happier buying and using a used Zenith 900/901 than with most of the "brand new" converter boxes you can buy in retail stores, bearing such famed-for-quality brands such as Craig, Naxa or KCPI.

P.S. The most common used CECBs for sale at thrift stores, swap meets and yard sales are from Funai (Magnavox, Sylvania, Philco brand names) and RCA. The Zenith 900/901 and its made-by-LG brother Insignia boxes show up, but for every Zenith/Insignia box you'll see for sale on a thrift store shelf, you will have seen about three Funai and two RCA boxes for sale. The Funai and RCA boxes generally sell for under $10, and Zenith boxes for a little bit more, although a key to determining a fair price is whether or not the original remote is included.

Last edited by seatacboy; Yesterday at 05:42 PM.
post #2561 of 2561 Unread Today, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

"...bearing such famed-for-quality brands such as Craig, Naxa or KCPI."

Other than the prices, I see pretty much the same thing as your P.S. on Craigslist here. I suspect it has to do with Walmart.

Dude, you should punt the CECB bargain hunting and look for HD tuners. Many of which are satellite boxes so the hard part on those is determining which models will perform ATSC operation without a subscription, gotta be a list somewhere. But if you're in a poor reception area 'some' of them may not receive as well as a more modern later generation RF chip set CECB.
I lucked out on my Hughes DirecTV box. I went to buy a gently used DVD recorder and they asked me if I'm interested in a NIB sat. box. At first I was no but flipped through the manual and saw a page showing it working as an ATSC tuner only, so gave them the $20 saying "I'll take a chance on it." I even hooked up a basic sat. dish so I can pick up free EPG. They also talked me into buying a nice Sony 5 disk CD player for $25 (good timing since my Technics player's laser looks to have burned out). They were moving back to England so clearing out all the US stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page