Zenith (LG) DTT900 CECB - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #2581 of 2610 Old 07-28-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Must be some hefty HOA fees.

Yellow . On the one hand you can go for a shade that's almost white, on the other hand a shade that blinds them and go 'what did we do?!'

Secede

Nope, FCC says (1996 + updates): https://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-...n-devices-rule

My inexpensive Philips 3-device u-remote I got at CVS two years ago has buttons that are biting the dust. Well it was inexpensive and sorta free via ExtraBucks rewards (to spend on future stuff). Have you guys had better luck with other brands? (inexpensive genre).

Hey saw an Insignia box on CL for $25 here the other day; great conditions (lol) and in the box too. Maybe a little cheaper because it isn't labeled Zenith?
Whatever color they chose, the ones that decide likely will not be here in 5 years anyway to look at their mistake. I would vote for Taupe on my place, but was told would never fly (there is brown brick that would compliment perfectly).

We also have to pay for our streets here, they use substandard materials & are being replaced after < 10 years, no one wants to watchdog any work being done here.... it's become downright corrupt.

I think this is where they will get me, though there are plenty of dishes on the roofs...

Q: If I live in a condominium, cooperative, or other type of residence where certain areas have been designated as "common," do these rules apply to me?
A: The rules apply to residents of these types of buildings, but the rules do not permit you to install an antenna on a common area, such as a walkway, hallway, community garden, exterior wall or the roof. However, you may install the antenna wholly within a balcony, deck, patio, or other area where you have exclusive use.
Drilling through an exterior wall, e.g. to run the cable from the patio into the unit, is generally not within the protection of the rule because the exterior wall is generally a common element. You may wish to check with your retailer or installer for advice on how to install the antenna without drilling a hole. Alternatively, your landlord or association may grant permission for you to drill such a hole. The Commission's rules generally do not cover installations if you drill through a common element.

They did provide the antenna, but now fail to maintain it as they (the HOA Nazis) are under the belief there is no such thing as OTA TV anymore.

Fees are running me $240/month ($175 + $65 assesment), they were $97 when I purchased the place in '97, & there never was an assesment till '98, which I have seen every year excpt for one since living there.

Would the Zenith nameplate be a value added feature? I'm surprised they never made these with the LG badge, there werre 2 flavors of the Insignia though??? for the passthrough.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 07-28-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2610 Old 07-28-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Your neutral color would make too much sense...

Streets. Sounds commune-like. I take it not in a city road district, etc.

Yeah I see, especially if your structure isn't stand-alone. I forgot you had a shared antenna. I think your best offense is the hypocrisy of the dishes on other roofs; a judge would rule in your favor as discrimination. The irony is that a sat dish doesn't need to be on a roof, it can be in a hole in the ground as long as it has line of sight to the sats; mine is about a foot off the ground. Any chance of the balcony, deck, patio, or other area? (yet I suspect altitude is needed there and you don't have an upper structure. Window?).

Wow that's some serious inflation, some is normal but I don't think my city taxes did anything like that. Maybe if insurance is included. My escrow is about $355 a month. You should have gone up a dollar a year ($97 in '97 ).

I perceive there's some Zenith goodwill on those used boxes. I think Insignia is Best Buy. Seems there were a couple of numbers with pass-thru suffixes. Oh that CL seller dropped it to $20.

post #2583 of 2610 Old 07-29-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Your neutral color would make too much sense...

Streets. Sounds commune-like. I take it not in a city road district, etc.

Yeah I see, especially if your structure isn't stand-alone. I forgot you had a shared antenna. I think your best offense is the hypocrisy of the dishes on other roofs; a judge would rule in your favor as discrimination. The irony is that a sat dish doesn't need to be on a roof, it can be in a hole in the ground as long as it has line of sight to the sats; mine is about a foot off the ground. Any chance of the balcony, deck, patio, or other area? (yet I suspect altitude is needed there and you don't have an upper structure. Window?).

Wow that's some serious inflation, some is normal but I don't think my city taxes did anything like that. Maybe if insurance is included. My escrow is about $355 a month. You should have gone up a dollar a year ($97 in '97 ).

I perceive there's some Zenith goodwill on those used boxes. I think Insignia is Best Buy. Seems there were a couple of numbers with pass-thru suffixes. Oh that CL seller dropped it to $20.
Streets are association maintained replacement, snow removal ect, & external/structural insurance included. They removed a tree killed by the ash bore out of my front yard in '13 (which incidentally cracked my driveway which became my responsibility to replace) & was replaced by a no parking sign.... legal loophole so they wouldn't have to replace the tree. Driveways, Patios are my responsibility

my patio is on the opposite side (thus no LOS) I need to point at my antenna farm, so would need to be on the roof, I can see it being an eyesore if I mounted on my lower garage roof on the front of the house & visible from the street it would be too obvious. On the upper roof I can use the fact many of my neighbors are mounting dishes. There was one community dish provider that became a monopoly, so some bucked & got their own dishes & nothing seemed to be said.. I could care less if they maintained the antenna system which the currently fail to do.

I would think the LG badge would have gone over better, though the Zenith badge was more popular for those who remember & enjoyed OTA TV long before the cable monster took the stronghold. Those boxes are going for astronomical amounts on the bay.
post #2584 of 2610 Old 07-29-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Dayum, they're a sneaky bunch. There's a movie in these tales if you're a writer.

Well the dish part of all this tells me your entitled to mount an antenna too despite the coop common area stipulation (now I wonder who lobbied the FCC for that part of it?!). GL my friend! I guess the last resort is back to the attic antenna (yes I now remember that - broken element(s)); maybe have to replace with one of those newer compact high gain ATSC-optimized models and possibly an amp.

Maybe they're LG overseas (if they have converter boxes) and Zenith over here. "The quality goes in before the name goes on." Yeah I think you're right per the older TV crowd, which was probably the majority buying boxes. Isn't it 'LG' for TVs and such? I haven't heard much of Zenith anymore.
Yeah it seems everyone thinks these are the golden goose, I beg to differ. Weren't even in the top tier of PQ. They claim pretty reliable though despite your experience, plus great reception. Built-in power supply makes them 'seem' a step above. Are they actually selling for those higher prices? ('Completed listings'); I see all kinds of pipe dream nonsense on ebay.

post #2585 of 2610 Old 08-03-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

That Zenith trademark has likely gone through several owners in the recent past, my 1984 19'' Zenith lasted 27 years. Note they are back to the Lightning "Z" logo. I have a Zenith Clock radio from the late '90's, the touch buttons did not wear well at all.... great sounding, & nice features, but what good is it if you can no longer set the time or set the station (other than the presets), it even has an analog VHF TV Sound & Weather Band, actually has nice sound, just poor design with the buttons, Im pretty sure made in China.

Yes the Attic Antenna still is functional & serves the bedroom(s) set(s). Havent tied it in with the line going downstairs yet.

Curious to why it exactly went out, quit on a Sunday Evening last year.

I'm taking the Roof is considered common, therefore the no, no, didn't seem to bother the "D*, or E*" customers.

The HOA hasn't told me what kind & color drapes/blinds I can have... yet there were some short stories on OC type HOA's.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 08-03-2015 at 10:05 AM.
post #2586 of 2610 Old 08-03-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Ironically I had about the same year RCA 19" that lasted about the same number of years. Moving out to college TV. Dad was primarily a Zenith man but for some reason we had to go with the RCA at one of those now defunct old TV shops, maybe it was price and/or availability. He got tired of coming out to my apt. to fix the old black metal box hand-me-down Zenith with funky corona arcing of the HV transformer cable (maybe he started worrying about a fire ). I think that RCA was one of the first with a digital keypad and two digit digital display, was so cool then.

My mom recently got a good laugh when I told her I'm still using the GE clock radio/phone my oldest sis got me for college graduation (1988). Digital display but analog tuner, the tuning mechanism recently started getting tough to turn though (I think the cable/band that pulls the display marker).

BTW some of those ol' Made in Japan items are collectors' items now. Funny how we used to treat them like Made in China. Now I'm proud that my Panasonic HD CRT has Made in Japan on the back.

I take it the Zenith CECB went out on a Sunday evening.

Gestapos...

post #2587 of 2610 Old 08-04-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ironically I had about the same year RCA 19" that lasted about the same number of years. ..... I think that RCA was one of the first with a digital keypad and two digit digital display, was so cool then.

My mom recently got a good laugh when I told her I'm still using the GE clock radio/phone my oldest sis got me for college graduation (1988). Digital display but analog tuner, the tuning mechanism recently started getting tough to turn though (I think the cable/band that pulls the display marker).

BTW some of those ol' Made in Japan items are collectors' items now. Funny how we used to treat them like Made in China. Now I'm proud that my Panasonic HD CRT has Made in Japan on the back.

I take it the Zenith CECB went out on a Sunday evening.

Gestapos...
Got you beat on the Clock radio, still using my 1981 Direct entry GE Clock radio (4800-4600 series ?) (xmas 1980 or '81) those vintage GE's were built like a battleship, still looks like new, down side, no battery backup & loses clock settings at the slightest outage, not sure why they did not include capacitive backup, my brother still uses his old Red LED from a few years prior to that, those GE clock radios are common finds at Goodwill/Salvation Army... always keep a couple spares but likely will never need them! (just wish other things were that reliable!)... they have a cult following.

We had a '77 Magnavox Touch Tune (LED display & Keypad), that replaced a '65 Motorola Color, with the flat black non glare tube.... the Magnavox was replaced in '85 with a Mitsubishi that had the crushing picture syndrome & was eventually pitched in '11 (along with my Zenith the same day).

No my antenna went out on a Sunday night (Memorial Day '14... or was in '13??)... the Zenith CECB's are still working, just have the power up issues & really really hate the cold!
post #2588 of 2610 Old 08-04-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Whoa. I think my folks had one of those. Direct entry - lol. Mine is red LED and 9V battery backup, although I got tired of wasting pricey batteries that would serve me better in my bedroom smoke alarm. A few years back my friends were still using one of those with the mechanical number sign rotator; funny to watch that thing change with the bonus audible click.

It appears my RCA TV wasn't the first with the digital display (LED) and keypad. It had to have been late '70s or very early '80s. Back in the '70s a friend had an old Zenith with a mechanical (motor) remote control system; that was fun to watch and listen to too.

Weird an antenna going out. I remember you having some broken elements, but the big ones that shouldn't matter unless it messes up the overall impedance. I've wondered if I have something odd going on in the attic [antenna] sometimes, I'll get piss-poor reception on one of my majors over certain periods of time, yet all the other channels will be fine. I suspect interference, most likely ham radio but there's lots of crud out there these days like smart electric meters, etc.; shouldn't interfere but their amps can go noisy and still transmit on their fundamental (ex: regen.). Tough temperature environment here. Out of desperation I tried a small loop antenna in the house and it picked up way better on that channel (vs. problem reception scenario), but of course more selective. So I had to combine the two antennae; lost a few dB on the other channels but all is good. and interferer.

post #2589 of 2610 Old 08-05-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Whoa. I think my folks had one of those. Direct entry - lol. Mine is red LED and 9V battery backup, although I got tired of wasting pricey batteries that would serve me better in my bedroom smoke alarm. A few years back my friends were still using one of those with the mechanical number sign rotator; funny to watch that thing change with the bonus audible click.
Mine has the Green LED & dual alarms, & Grad-U-Wake, wish it had a Backup. I did pick up a pretty pristine with the deep Turquoise Flor-Vac display without the Direct Entry, but with a 9v backup.. I can use this as a backup if needed, a lil cleanup, & it was nearly new. . I have a Panasonic card flip with a the yellow numbers with a blacklight tube in it . (In storage)

Quote:
It appears my RCA TV wasn't the first with the digital display (LED) and keypad. It had to have been late '70s or very early '80s. Back in the '70s a friend had an old Zenith with a mechanical (motor) remote control system; that was fun to watch and listen to too.
Magnavox was either a '77 or '78 Model, I think the '77 we had to set the stations in the control box then the channel # (so you could make "virtual" channels, by setting the punch in # to whatever you liked from 1-99), you could 'fine tune' the channels to via the control box, this had the LED display, the '78's had the tuner was an autolocking much like todays & CATV capability... the there was the older Magnavox Star with no LED display but an onscreen channel #.

My '61 GE TV had the capability for an electronic wired remote option, though it was not installed & nor was the motor for the dial.

Quote:
Weird an antenna going out. I remember you having some broken elements, but the big ones that shouldn't matter unless it messes up the overall impedance. I've wondered if I have something odd going on in the attic [antenna] sometimes, I'll get piss-poor reception on one of my majors over certain periods of time, yet all the other channels will be fine. I suspect interference, most likely ham radio but there's lots of crud out there these days like smart electric meters, etc.
My attic antenna has the larger VHF elements hanging with broxen insulators , though we no longer have the 3 Analog or 2 digital, would like to cuty the antenna down, but afraid of compromising the design. The outdoor antenna appears fine, lkely a wiring issue or blown distibution amp (or perhaps my line may have been removed or cut within a neighbors attic). anyhow in the next re-roof it's likely history. If it was indeed serving 10 dwelllings, it was doing a fantastic job, & I'm assuming the lines attached to it were majorly tampered with by the cable company... perhaps someone shorted out something in another unit causing it to go... or simply old age??

I get indifferent signals on a couple when my roof is wet on the attic antenna, never really thought about it they just upgraded the water meters here, I don't see any new electric meters in the neighborhood, but I know they are around the area now.
post #2590 of 2610 Old 08-05-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a 'cool' display that turquoise Flor-Vac, nice glow.
Blacklight tube?
I've got some old single digit display vacuum tubes given to me from a former co-worker/friend. He was really something, hooked two of them via circuitry to a hamster wheel to count the revolutions. Genius kind of guy but odd. Really into big guns, machine guns, and pyro. Did some firework shows. We wondered if his little apartment across from work would someday explode from all the stored ordinance; we would have had a good view.

That friend's mechanical remote Zenith was actually wireless, the control had these clicky push buttons on it.

That's right, broken insulators on attic antenna. Hey just keep 'em insulated.
Too bad on the external, yeah a number of things could be wrong since it's shared. Still working for any neighbors you know of?

post #2591 of 2610 Old 08-05-2015, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bismarck440, I'm curious why you don't run for a seat on the HOA board? Remember that the HOA membership is you and your neighbors. You're all in it together, and there aren't any outsiders out to get you. If your neighbors all just disagree with you, then yeah, you're screwed. But I see so many people around here who think it is an us vs. them thing and don't realize it is an us+them thing.

I remember about 10 years ago I was on my neighborhood HOA board and was talking to a neighbor about a change request he had submitted. After a while I realized he had no idea that I was just one of his neighbors volunteering to do the job of maintaining our community. He thought I was some employee of some evil corporation somewhere whose purpose in life was to make his life unpleasant or something. When I told him I just lived down the street and was a volunteer and that he could also volunteer (assuming he was voted in by his other neighbors), it was like I blew his mind and his whole attitude about the whole situation completely changed (for the better).
post #2592 of 2610 Old 08-06-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's a 'cool' display that turquoise Flor-Vac, nice glow.
Blacklight tube?
I've got some old single digit display vacuum tubes given to me from a former co-worker/friend. He was really something, hooked two of them via circuitry to a hamster wheel to count the revolutions. Genius kind of guy but odd. Too bad on the external, yeah a number of things could be wrong since it's shared. Still working for any neighbors you know of?
The nice greenish turquoise, not the washed out looking light blue. Yes the panisonic made the flip card #'s flourcent yellow on flat black & then used a small blacklight tube to make the #'s "glow", as alternative to no light or a small neon light

You must be speaking of the old NixiVacs.

No one I know of is using the antenna in fact most are unaware, or the Cable Company hacked up the wiring in their units, so no access.

I think Sylvania had some kind of Keypad on their TV's even earlier - big button chunky keypad.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 08-06-2015 at 09:43 AM.
post #2593 of 2610 Old 08-06-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharper View Post
Bismarck440, I'm curious why you don't run for a seat on the HOA board? Remember that the HOA membership is you and your neighbors. You're all in it together, and there aren't any outsiders out to get you. If your neighbors all just disagree with you, then yeah, you're screwed. But I see so many people around here who think it is an us vs. them thing and don't realize it is an us+them thing.
Strange you bring this up, about 13 years back I was asked if I'd be interested, but lacked the time at that point. I offered to sit as an alternative, or be a technical advisor & help increase communications & inprovements within the development, one other person who actually wanted to be on the board, had an issue with me being on in that manner, so the idea was killed, this person was appointed to the seat, never showed up to a meeting & later moved.. never did figure that one out.

The board seems to come in a 'wave' of 'cliques', the former board lived in my area, & were a real "partying' bunch, this current one is on another street. I would have a hard time dealing with the ineptness going on.

As I may have said, most here are "drinking the Kool-Aid", they really hated it when I got vocal at some of those meetings. Seriously, these people don't think OTA exists anymore.

The Management company keeps the lot of us pretty isolated from this current board, always have to go through them, so I'm unsure exactly where the breakdown in communication actually occurs.
post #2594 of 2610 Old 08-06-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
The nice greenish turquoise, not the washed out looking light blue. Yes the panisonic made the flip card #'s flourcent yellow on flat black & then used a small blacklight tube to make the #'s "glow", as alternative to no light or a small neon light

You must be speaking of the old NixiVacs.

I think Sylvania had some kind of Keypad on their TV's even earlier - big button chunky keypad.
Cool on both counts. I'd have to have both out just for glow.

NixiVacs - I like the name. Man you know this stuff.

Ah the chunky keypads.

That HOA board sounds like taxation without representation. Figures they're on another street; a street of your community that thinks they're better than everyone else? Weird the mgt company+HOA board segregation from the rest of you, almost sounds shady.
My friend's HOA is presided by some guy that was the first one there or somesuch, so they have a lot of old vs. new resident issues. I know where jsharper is coming from, perception of many is that they're the actual mgt and not residents.

post #2595 of 2610 Old 08-06-2015, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On our board, we also used the management company we hired to 'shield' the board members from day to day interaction with the rest of the membership, simply because we just didn't have time to manage and that's what we were paying them for. However, all board meetings were open (state law, actually) and any resident was free to come chat with the board during any of those meetings, and any correspondence sent to the mgmt company and asked to be sent to the board was of course forwarded on. We did have an issue once where the management company was causing problems for members (losing address changes, then sending notices to old addr and then fining without notice, crap like that). Once it was brought to the board's attention at a meeting and via correspondence addressed to the board, we fired that mgmt company and hired another one that was much better

I'm sure there are plenty of HOAs where the board members are the problem. The solution, if it is achievable, is to vote them out and replace them with sane people. Or to move out of the HOA I definitely understand anyone who prefers to not own property governed by an HOA. I'd have to think long and hard before I ever owned anything like a condo or townhouse that had a shared roof/walls/etc. That would just be too much for me. Around this part of my town, HOAs are primarily used to maintain the common landscape areas of a neighborhood and to prevent issues with one house/yard going to crap and making the whole neighborhood look like crap.

Ok, this is going way off topic now. I'll stop.
post #2596 of 2610 Old 08-12-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

One annual HOA meeting is open, the others are unannounced & usually held in secrecy (though they were open once upon a time just a lack of interest aside of the annual meeting)

Hmmm they may shut this thread down, going that off topic & gee who uses this antiquated technology anyway?... it's just sooooo 2008

Surprised they did not merge the 900 & 901 forums?
post #2597 of 2610 Old 08-12-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Secede. I think Texas can. Something's fishy with your HOA.

I wonder if the moderators or whatnot even pay attention to this genre, and CRT, etc. Used to see 'em step in all the time. I suspect rather busy with all the new tech, 4k, etc.

post #2598 of 2610 Old 08-13-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

The lemmings aren't going to secede, they will just take legal action against me, thats all they know, a lot of the HOA monies are to keep an attorney on retainer to figure out what they no longer will be responsible for (instead of actually doing things to make life better here). That last board we had, the former president hadn't paid his HOA fee in nearly 2 years, one of his last order of business was to take legal action on himself .... great day to be a lawyer, huh?

Is it actually 4K or 4320p, the 4x effective rate of 1080p?

I imagine the new HD BR format is 2160p... if you think about this we are playing with 480P & below here in this thread.... yes it's sooooo 2008!

Last edited by Bismarck440; 08-13-2015 at 10:09 AM.
post #2599 of 2610 Old 08-13-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Legal action on himself... what a whacky HOA.

I just see 'em in the ads as 4K. Maybe 4096 but a little confusing here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

Actually only 480i for the boxes. Would be nice if they could progressive scan but not the right outputs for it.

post #2600 of 2610 Old 08-17-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Getting BOT there, I picked up my dad's retired 901, & found it does not exhibit the startup issue (at least not in the warmer weather, as mine now is), also a May 2008 issue, so maybe I got a couple of lemons??

I cracked open the 901 & did not find anything abnormal aside of what looked like flux residue (no clean??) on the board around some of the components, the tiny cap (C324.. I think) next to the LED, top possibly looked slightly bubbled, but nothing was popped.

Next step?? start heating up individual components till it starts with no issues? (pretty sure the hairdryer trick still works).
post #2601 of 2610 Old 08-17-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Getting BOT there, I picked up my dad's retired 901, & found it does not exhibit the startup issue (at least not in the warmer weather, as mine now is), also a May 2008 issue, so maybe I got a couple of lemons??

I cracked open the 901 & did not find anything abnormal aside of what looked like flux residue (no clean??) on the board around some of the components, the tiny cap (C324.. I think) next to the LED, top possibly looked slightly bubbled, but nothing was popped.

Next step?? start heating up individual components till it starts with no issues? (pretty sure the hairdryer trick still works).
But yours developed the issue in warmer climes over time, right? Did his ever do it in colder conditions? (if his home never got that cold then you'll have to refrigerate it and test). I'm assuming they're of similar build dates.

Clean residue with alcohol. Denatured is best. Or highest % and let dry well. Modern PCBs shouldn't matter though as they're coated over the traces.

Yeah you can try heat, but I thought it wouldn't start at all anymore.

post #2602 of 2610 Old 08-17-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

P.S. Snagged some Craigslist freebies. 27" Panasonic Tau to replace my '93 GE for coon-ass pictureNpicture to my main TV; GE was still good and I calibrated it pretty well but the reds have turned orange-ish, gonna miss her. 24" Magnavox, small scratched top stand, and a couple of what look like economy DVD players. Was take all or none. All flat screen 4:3 CRTs with built-in DVD and VCR. The bummer is that apparently these 'built-in' TVs suck on input connectors as I guess they thought we have almost everything we need built in. RF and composite connectors, that's it, and only on the front on the Mag. Darn, I'm using s-video on the ol' GE plus have a spare HD tuner to run component. I was so excited about the Tau because my 34" Panny HD CRT is a Tau and they look very similar despite 3 years between them (27" is newer). Still a better pic than the ol' curvy tube GE.
Then on the way home a neighbor was tossing a 20" Emerson flat CRT with a RCA CECB remote but no CECB. Oddly enough it has s-video on the back but no composite (it's on the front).

Recently took a chance on a Panasonic DMR-EH58 HDD&DVDR for $25. Rich youngster didn't know much about it but said it did power up (cleaning out uncle's storage). Middle East code (2) and 220-240 V. It did power up on 120 V but unresponsive to remote, has only a couple of mostly useless front buttons (no menu), and nothing comes up on the screen unless I hit the record front button and it gives me normal-looking recording error message (so I did get some kind of display output). The unit's display looks normal, no error messages (SP7205 but I think that's the HDD time left). And the remote works on my Panny TV for the TV mode so I think it works. OK so I tried the 240 V from my dryer connection and it behaved exactly the same as above. I tried the most obvious symptoms in the troubleshooting guide of the manual (different remote codes 1, 2, and 3; and a reset for lock-up) and nada. I hear both drives clicking doing their start-up thing when I turn it on, sounds normal. It's got a minor dent on the top and one back corner is bent at the RF connector and pushing in component and SCART connectors (nothing looks broken from the top view), the cardboard box was dilapidated and I bet it fell out through a flap on the youngster. Anyhow I drone on - no specific thread for this model but I stumbled across some posts from jjeff (he's been on this thread) where he had something to do with this model, so I may have to look him up.

post #2603 of 2610 Old 08-17-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Recently took a chance on a Panasonic DMR-EH58 HDD&DVDR for $25. Rich youngster didn't know much about it but said it did power up (cleaning out uncle's storage). Middle East code (2) and 220-240 V. It did power up on 120 V but unresponsive to remote, has only a couple of mostly useless front buttons (no menu), and nothing comes up on the screen unless I hit the record front button and it gives me normal-looking recording error message (so I did get some kind of display output). The unit's display looks normal, no error messages (SP7205 but I think that's the HDD time left). And the remote works on my Panny TV for the TV mode so I think it works. OK so I tried the 240 V from my dryer connection and it behaved exactly the same as above. I tried the most obvious symptoms in the troubleshooting guide of the manual (different remote codes 1, 2, and 3; and a reset for lock-up) and nada. I hear both drives clicking doing their start-up thing when I turn it on, sounds normal. It's got a minor dent on the top and one back corner is bent at the RF connector and pushing in component and SCART connectors (nothing looks broken from the top view), the cardboard box was dilapidated and I bet it fell out through a flap on the youngster. Anyhow I drone on - no specific thread for this model but I stumbled across some posts from jjeff (he's been on this thread) where he had something to do with this model, so I may have to look him up.
It may only say 220v-240v 50hz but it almost certainly should work here on 120v 60hz. Yes SP 205? would mean 205hrs in the SP mode.
When you push a button on the remote do you get any indication on the units front display? If the remote is setup for the wrong remote code you should get something like SET 1, SET 2, etc. if not I'm not sure what to say, if the remote controls the volume, channel and power on your TV it sounds like it's working.
I didn't really see a EH-58 thread but the slightly larger HDD but otherwise quite similar EH-68 thread is here:
Panasonic EH-68 confusion PAL/NTSC
Even though your EH-58 is meant for overseas use it will also record and play our NTSC if setup that way in the setup options. It won't convert from one format to another though, if it records or plays a PAL disc thats what it outputs, the same for NTSC, the HDD can have both PAL and NTSC titles on it but again outputs whatever format you play. Quite a few flat screen TVs(off brands are more likely) may actually display PAL(50i) but only from their line inputs, the tuner in the EH-58 is only analog PAL and of no use to you. I believe all Vizio TVs display 50hz, I also have a LG and Insignia that display PAL, my Sony, Panasonic and Samsung do not display PAL. Tube TVs would need to be multi format to display PAL, I've never heard of just a standard tube TV that displayed PAL.
Lastly, even though your EH-58 may say Region 2, more than likely it's region free and will play any region DVD, it records DVDs that will play in all regions.
Nice find, the EH-58 was a pretty nice machine in it's day, I have several EH-59s, the next model year newer than yours.
post #2604 of 2610 Old 08-18-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But yours developed the issue in warmer climes over time, right? Did his ever do it in colder conditions? (if his home never got that cold then you'll have to refrigerate it and test). I'm assuming they're of similar build dates.

Clean residue with alcohol. Denatured is best. Or highest % and let dry well. Modern PCBs shouldn't matter though as they're coated over the traces.

Yeah you can try heat, but I thought it wouldn't start at all anymore.
Good memory, that is correct, both of my May 2008 901's had the cold startup issue likely since day 1 (By the time I figured this all out they were out of their 90 day warranty), the magic # seemed to be ambient of 66 F, any colder they had a starting issues, usually 1 or 2 tries & they would catch, the needing to be unplugged & lockups came a year or so later. Now with our frequent summertime outages, I notice this last summer, now they are reluctant to come on, usually the LED goes dark when attempting to power up, then power cycling them (unplugging them & repowering), a few times will eventually bring them back, or use the hairdryer trick. With my upstairs now in the upper 80's these are cantankerous, so the issue has escalladed, I really expected to find a bulged cap or something.

I used to work with the solders & fluxes at a board shop, perhaps that residue developed a capacitance over the years (??) though I don't see corrosion or white leading me to believe it's some kind of no clean flux. (though of course I could be wrong).

My dad never mentioned any problems, though these were lower near baseboard heating , again I only hear of one other person here with this issue, leading me to believe there were just a batch of lemons out there... out of tolerence part, ect.

I still think it's a single component across the board, that may fix this.

27" tube, huh? heavy!
post #2605 of 2610 Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Nice find, the EH-58 was a pretty nice machine in it's day, I have several EH-59s, the next model year newer than yours.
Thanks, if I can ever get it to properly operate. Of course $25 isn't a big deal as I saw some broken ones going for at least double that on ebay. It's real clean inside so the drives may be useful to my Toshiba version down the road. The remote looks like new. Gives me the impression it being dropped and/or banged on top did it in.

Anyhow I copied your reply with the quote over to here as the subject line looked like my genre:

Panasonic DMR-EH68: Having problems and need help

And I replied to you in full over yonder thread.

post #2606 of 2610 Old 08-19-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now with our frequent summertime outages, I notice this last summer, now they are reluctant to come on, usually the LED goes dark when attempting to power up, then power cycling them (unplugging them & repowering), a few times will eventually bring them back, or use the hairdryer trick. With my upstairs now in the upper 80's these are cantankerous, so the issue has escalladed, I really expected to find a bulged cap or something.

I used to work with the solders & fluxes at a board shop, perhaps that residue developed a capacitance over the years (??) though I don't see corrosion or white leading me to believe it's some kind of no clean flux. (though of course I could be wrong).

27" tube, huh? heavy!
Ah yeah, the power outages might have sped up their decay. If you they still come on with heat then you stand a chance figuring it out with focused heat of components.

Good point on the no clean flux. Those kind of problems are more with old tech PCBs or maybe very high frequency circuits (parasitic capacitance). But the easiest thing to try first is the alcohol clean-up; safe if dried well before powering on. There's flux cleaner liquid if you can find it (probably like trichoroethene). We used those stiff short-haired brushes.
I've poured alcohol into the buttons of remotes (no batteries), pushed the buttons a bunch, flipped them over to dry overnight, and the sticky buttons work a little better.

Yeah that 27" Panny is a bear for that size, doesn't help with the built-in DVD and VCR. I limited to that size so I could handle it meself but didn't think of those options (which I probably won't use). Thus far I've only moved it from the back of my van to a roller stand. The worst part was up and down a step with the stand. I wonder if I took on too much in regards to lifting it up or down. I need to look up the weight.
Due to my embarrassment of old tech and maybe a little bit of the Sanford&Son syndrome, I unloaded this stuff at night with no outdoor lights on (some light from neighbor's garage/street light). Someone may have called the cops because one did a u-turn in the court real slow.

post #2607 of 2610 Old 08-20-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ah yeah, the power outages might have sped up their decay. If you they still come on with heat then you stand a chance figuring it out with focused heat of components.

Good point on the no clean flux. Those kind of problems are more with old tech PCBs or maybe very high frequency circuits (parasitic capacitance). But the easiest thing to try first is the alcohol clean-up; safe if dried well before powering on. There's flux cleaner liquid if you can find it (probably like trichoroethene). We used those stiff short-haired brushes.
I've poured alcohol into the buttons of remotes (no batteries), pushed the buttons a bunch, flipped them over to dry overnight, and the sticky buttons work a little better.

Snip....

Due to my embarrassment of old tech and maybe a little bit of the Sanford&Son syndrome, I unloaded this stuff at night with no outdoor lights on (some light from neighbor's garage/street light). Someone may have called the cops because one did a u-turn in the court real slow.
I used to have access to those chemicals, but the latter were alcohol based anyway, it became a staple where I worked (& there were water based fluxes too)

Was thinking of slightly heating some individual components one at a time & seeing if it has an effect.

On my street the HOA did not relamp the burned out lights (only the ones not burned out with new LED's) , always dark so no embarasment here!
post #2608 of 2610 Old 08-20-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I used to have access to those chemicals, but the latter were alcohol based anyway, it became a staple where I worked (& there were water based fluxes too)

Was thinking of slightly heating some individual components one at a time & seeing if it has an effect.

On my street the HOA did not relamp the burned out lights (only the ones not burned out with new LED's) , always dark so no embarasment here!
I suspect you're good as they probably quit the requirement of having to use the nasty chemicals long ago. I 'miss' the trichlor stuff from when I was a copier tech, killer cleaner and 'careful' use rejuvenates windshield wipers (sort of melts rubbery stuff). And silicone oil, what a lube! But actually glad I didn't stay the copier tech route, some nasty stuff to deal with. Was interesting though and met lots of office gals (beat the heck out of working in engineering in the skirt regard...).

Indeed. Might heat specific areas first to work your way down. I suspect power control management.

That sounds like an HOA security/safety violation.

post #2609 of 2610 Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
We now have only one non-HD television in our house. I was using one of our DTT-900 CECBs on it, and yes they are still functioning even seven years later. However, in a recent thrift store browse I picked up a replacement Zinwell remote for the ZAT-970A and have been using that box on the "third TV". The main benefit to the Zinwell is that there is a "signal quality" as well as "signal intensity" meter, something I also saw on a Digitalstream box.

The signal quality feature on the Zinwell is useful when I am using an input switcher from our main roof-mounted antenna to an indoor Silver Sensor, for the purpose of viewing KWPX (Ion). KWPX transmits from a location to the sideways of our main Seattle towers, and as our roof-mounted CM 4228HD is pointed at Capitol Hill/Queen Anne, reception on KWPX is choppy, so using a separate indoor antenna pointed towards West Tiger provides a less jittery, breakup-free viewing experience.
post #2610 of 2610 Old Today, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an HD TV that requires an external ATSC tuner.

The Zinwell delivers better PQ than the Zenith too. Yeah I like that dual meter, but when adjusting the attic antenna I need a tuner that makes some noise.

Hey I was able to combine two antennas with a simple two-way combiner (a splitter in reverse). Loses about half my signal for each antenna but I have plenty of signal to spare. Sure beats flipping a switch but in my case it was the NBC station. I think my problem is brought about by interference, probably a ham radio operator but there's so much RF these days in the big city it's hard to tell for sure without sophisticated measurements. Funny this station problem required me to use a small loop antenna down at TV level (one story); me thinks too much gain and/or optimum interference position of the attic antenna.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)