ATSC Converter Box comparisons - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1471 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken NY View Post

>>I have a Samsung DTB-H260F HD tuner as well as a CECB, the CECB does better on one channel than the Samsung. Same antenna, split feed to each box.<<

if you don't have problems with multipath, everything will almost work the same.
i hear that the 6th generation LG chip is ready and is supposed to be better with multipath than anything so far (but not installed in any sets yet) - - i have to wait awhile before i try out a digital tuner so i end up with something that works better than anything i have used so far (give them time to get the newest chipset in them) if LG doesn't make a tuner in a couple years, i wonder how i can find out who uses the LG chip in thiers (and what generation chip)??? although the zenith convertor boxes work great when the TV tuner isn't, it would be nice to get real HD all the time rather than only when the conditions are right and the TV tuners are working (i should have just waited longer to buy the TVs)...

LG released their 6th Gen chip at end of 2006:
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/ht...612280032.html
http://www.tvtechnology.com/dlrf/one.php?id=1515
http://news.thomasnet.com/companystory/516849
So it's probably in many LG and other manufacturer's DTV's....

Other 6th Gen chips (also with exceptional performance) have been available
from numerous other manufacturers....on about the same schedule.

Many DTV's manufactured since (second half?) 2007 probably contain 6th Gen
ATSC Demoduators....and probably most manufactured in 2008....after all,
it should be less expensive to use an integrated DTV SoC (System on a Chip)....

They might even be in the newer HD-STBs....
Unfortunately, not many people look inside to confirm....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wagon View Post

Hello DigaDo,

Yeah, I know. You're right. I know some stations will still use analog signals after the proposed cut off date. That's why I use the word, "most" after I said, "ALL analog"

Which made absolutely no sense at all.

Additionally, there are other reasons to need analog pass through which have absolutely nothing to do with continuing analog TV broadcasts. Hint - think video security systems and whole house video distribution.
post #1473 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 View Post

Additionally, there are other reasons to need analog pass through which have absolutely nothing to do with continuing analog TV broadcasts. Hint - think video security systems and whole house video distribution.

Like "TV2" analog UHF channel output on Dish DVR's....

post #1474 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 View Post

Attn: Gerhard911,

Your reply to me makes not sense at all!

You are responding to the wrong person!

I mentioned nothing about needing or not needing analog pass through, or reasons for continuing analog pass through after Feb 17, 2009.

Go back and read my original post located four posts above your reply. I said that "All analog, MOST, will be kaput" after Feb 17, 2009. Which is absolutely true! MOST will be eliminated circa that date.
post #1475 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Like "TV2" analog UHF channel output on Dish DVR's....

Attn: Holl_ands,

See, Red Wagon post, today, 04:14PM
post #1476 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Red Wagon - most of us aren't teenagers. Please express yourself in full sentances and you won't be misunderstood.

And your sentance "All analog, MOST, will be kaput" after Feb 17, 2009. Which is absolutely true! MOST will be eliminated circa that date." is unclear - it should read "Most analog will be kaput after Feb 17,2009." Most / All confuses things.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #1477 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 05:29 PM

>>They might even be in the newer HD-STBs....Unfortunately, not many people look inside to confirm....<<
i looked inside (there is a power supply board, the decoder board and a tuner in a can) but i wouldn't know what generation it is, it is marked:
LGDT1111D
P40835.00
post #1478 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Red Wagon - most of us aren't teenagers. Please express yourself in full sentances and you won't be misunderstood.

And your sentance "All analog, MOST, will be kaput" after Feb 17, 2009. Which is absolutely true! MOST will be eliminated circa that date." is unclear - it should read "Most analog will be kaput after Feb 17,2009." Most / All confuses things.

Hello Scooper,

If you learn to spell correctly, you won't be misunderstood!

Please re-read the first line of your missive scolding me.

I am amaze that an brilliant English Professor, such as yourself would attempt to correct my english on this forum and then proceed to misspell word(s) in your post correcting me.

Besides, I never use the word "all," because it is a very dangerous word, it allows no room for exceptions. That is why I corrected myself with the word "most." How 'bout that? Feel better now?

If you read the very first post that I posted, I wrote it just like you said it should have been written. You must have read it, copied it, to play it back to me.

P.S. Don't ever text anyone, or IM anyone. You just might use some "bad" english that your recipient(s) might not understand.

You must have fun patrolling the forum, correcting the english of the posters on this board.
post #1479 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 08:19 PM

Welcome to my ignore list "Red Wagon". Way to troll.

I stole your sig.
post #1480 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 08:31 PM

Red Wagon,

Scooper gave you a helpful tip as to why you were being misunderstood. You act like it's an attack on your character or something. I don't know if you're just having a bad day or if you're a troll, but you're coming off as a jerk.
post #1481 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepten View Post

Red Wagon,

Scooper gave you a helpful tip as to why you were being misunderstood. You act like it's an attack on your character or something. I don't know if you're just having a bad day or if you're a troll, but you're coming off as a jerk.

Hello Shepton,

I gave Scooper some tips as to why he was being misunderstood. He should to learn to spell correctly before he scolds someone about the way they construct a sentence.

Twice he misspelled the word sentence.

Correcting the english on this board can be done with just about every post!

No I'm not a troll.
post #1482 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken NY View Post

>>They might even be in the newer HD-STBs....Unfortunately, not many people look inside to confirm....<<
i looked inside (there is a power supply board, the decoder board and a tuner in a can) but i wouldn't know what generation it is, it is marked:
LGDT1111D
P40835.00

LGDT1111 is problematic 6th Gen integrated SoC (includes ATSC Decoder) in fol. Converter boxes:
Zenith, Insignia, DigitalStream, Artec, Coship, Daewoo, Daytek/Casti & Microprose.

I was referring to HD-STB's with hi-def outputs (e.g. DVI/HDMI & Component Video).
Samsung DTB-H260F HD-STB uses 5th Gen Xilleon by AMD/ATI.
I still haven't seen any "good" 6th Gen HD-STB performance reviews yet...what few there are...

Although Coby DTV-140 uses 6th gen TI TVP9000 SoC, it has problems that need to be corrected:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=882632
post #1483 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Red Wagon,

It seems that most of the posters here, myself included, had trouble making sense of your "when ALL analog, most, will be kaput" line. I now understand you meant for "most" was a correction of your "all". You seem to be of the view that it should have been plain to everyone what you meant, but it just wasn't. I don't think Scooper was scolding you; I think he was trying let you know why you had a disconnect with your intended audience.

No one here is perfect, so if someone--especially several people--were having trouble understanding what I was trying to communicate, I'd sure like to know why. Don't you?
post #1484 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Red Wagon,

I am sure that some people did know what you were meaning but others don't understand anything about this conversion.
Quote:

Analog pass through won't do anyone any good after February 17, 2009 anyway, when ALL analog, most, will be kaput!

Analog PassThru will not be any good after February 17, 2009 for people who will no longer have any analog "full power" television stations, including most of the major network affiliates and large independent stations, will convert to digital-only operation.

However, Analog PassThru will be needed by those people who have will have both digital and analog (most Class A, Low Power TV, and TV Translator stations will not convert to digital next February)

Analog PassThru will also be needed by remote areas with no digital next February as some of these most Class A, Low Power TV, and TV Translator stations will convert to digital later in two to three years if not longer.

Yes, I know this is a much longer reply and still some people will not know what type of television stations serve them and if they need it or not.

The bottom line is if you don't need it a Digital Only will loose less signal than one with PassThru and that is why most of the original CECB's didn't have it.

It wasn't until these Class A, Low Power TV, and TV Translator stations raised their concerns about the need for PassThu because 80% of stations fit into this category.

You can see there web site at http://www.keepuson.com
post #1485 of 1867 Old 05-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

I was thinking about the sticky vote by Ken H.

What makes a CECB the best?
The SoC/MPEG Decoder used (LG, Zoran, Auvitek, Broadcom, ST Microelectronics, etc.,)

The Tuner used (LG, Sanyo, MicroTune, Thomson, etc.,)

The Firmware used
post #1486 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Red Wagon,

I am sure that some people did know what you were meaning but others don't understand anything about this conversion.

Analog PassThru will not be any good after February 17, 2009 for people who will no longer have any analog "full power" television stations, including most of the major network affiliates and large independent stations, will convert to digital-only operation.

However, Analog PassThru will be needed by those people who have will have both digital and analog (most Class A, Low Power TV, and TV Translator stations will not convert to digital next February)

Analog PassThru will also be needed by remote areas with no digital next February as some of these most Class A, Low Power TV, and TV Translator stations will convert to digital later in two to three years if not longer.

Yes, I know this is a much longer reply and still some people will not know what type of television stations serve them and if they need it or not.

The bottom line is if you don't need it a Digital Only will loose less signal than one with PassThru and that is why most of the original CECB's didn't have it.

It wasn't until these Class A, Low Power TV, and TV Translator stations raised their concerns about the need for PassThu because 80% of stations fit into this category.

Not completely. There are other reasons besides just receiving LP, Class A and repeaters to want analog passthrough. Personally - I distribute DBS throughout my house on 3 different UHF modulated channels. Having pass through means I don't need an external splitter at each location.

post #1487 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

post #1488 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

I distribute DBS throughout my house on 3 different UHF modulated channels

That's interesting. How do you get around the whole legality of rebroadcasting thing, or for that matter the FCC itself?

I stole your sig.
post #1489 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsc View Post

That's interesting. How do you get around the whole legality of rebroadcasting thing, or for that matter the FCC itself?

The fcc doesnt give a lick what you do with a wire in your own home.
post #1490 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Correcting the english on this board can be done with just about every post!

Like this sentence?

Quote:

I am amaze that an brilliant English Professor, such as yourself would attempt to correct my english on this forum and then proceed to misspell word(s) in your post correcting me.

Getting back to comparing CECB's, Has anyone had issues with the video signal dropping out on the LG/Zenith/Insignia clone box? Mine went out last night a few times. I'd wiggle the wire on the back of the box and it would come back. The connection was fine, however it seems the plug may be faulty inside.

No attempt here to type in correct English.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

post #1491 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

Like this sentence?

Getting back to comparing CECB's, Has anyone had issues with the video signal dropping out on the LG/Zenith/Insignia clone box? Mine went out last night a few times. I'd wiggle the wire on the back of the box and it would come back. The connection was fine, however it seems the plug may be faulty inside.

No attempt here to type in correct English.

Yes, It sounds like a bad F connector on your coax lead in.
post #1492 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yes, Whidbey, my video goes out every 5-7 days. I blamed the tv side of the connection. First time, just leaning on the tv swivel stand to reach around the tv fixed it. Next time it happens, I'll start with the box side, to rule that out. It is possible that wiggling the tv side also wiggled the box side. Since it's been doing that, I'm noticing how often networks have dark time, and it's a lot more often than I would have guessed.
post #1493 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have the Zenith DTT900. Yesterday I noticed difficulties with the signal strength for local sub-channels for 22 (that I do not watch) and 49 (that I seldom watch). Adjustment to my cheap indoor antenna, a RCA ANT111, didn't seem to help signal strength for these stations.

I remembered the earlier discussions of the Paper Clip Antenna. I unfolded a standard size paper clip and substituted it for the RCA antenna. All my channels came in stronger, without adjustment, using the Paper Clip Antenna. I am at the highest elevation in my zip code and less than five miles from the local antenna farms. From my window I may see some of these towers but trees in my neighborhood partially obscure the view of a few towers.

One poster mentioned marketing the Paper Clip Antenna for $10 (including shipping). I'm glad I have a few paper clips in my desk so I won't be caught short when the stores run out of Paper Clip Antennas.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #1494 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnied View Post

As long as it has no effect beyond your property.
post #1495 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

When making F connectors with coax don't leave the center longer then required (about 3/8 inch), have the dielectric come out to the front end of the connector (too little can allow a short and too much a bad connection).

Main thing wanted to mention is have the center conductor straight but then give it the slightest bend or kink, this helps it make tighter and better connection in the jack. Too straight can give a bad connection.
post #1496 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 20
No dropouts or other problems here with my DTT900.
post #1497 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnied View Post

I didn't see any mention of it being wired.

I stole your sig.
post #1498 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepten View Post

Red Wagon,

It seems that most of the posters here, myself included, had trouble making sense of your "when ALL analog, most, will be kaput" line. I now understand you meant for "most" was a correction of your "all". You seem to be of the view that it should have been plain to everyone what you meant, but it just wasn't. I don't think Scooper was scolding you; I think he was trying let you know why you had a disconnect with your intended audience.

No one here is perfect, so if someone--especially several people--were having trouble understanding what I was trying to communicate, I'd sure like to know why. Don't you?

Hello Shepten,

Yes, I was of the opinion that that line was clear to everyone.

I discovered something about a year or so after high school graduation. That I was going to write letters home the way that I talk to people in person. The same as if the person was standing before me. My sister love it.

Listen around you, people will say words in conversation with another person, then correct it with another word. The TV Pundit's do it. I decided to write informally like that as much as I can.

Your reply was kind. I appreciate that. Except for apologizing for Scooper.
post #1499 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Red Wagon,

Hello Malouff,

Thanks for enlightening the populace.
post #1500 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Look - I wasn't trying to "bust your chops" - but your post was unclear. Since all we have on these forums is the written language - it's imperative that we all use the same standard so we all understand each other.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page