ATSC Converter Box comparisons - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
We just try to stick to some standards because every now and then we'll get a newbie here who starts spouting out some "hip" internet (or whatever) lingo or jargon that 99% of us don't know what in the he!! they're talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 04:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Look - I wasn't trying to "bust your chops" - but your post was unclear. Since all we have on these forums is the written language - it's imperative that we all use the same standard so we all understand each other.

Scooper,

Acknowledged.
post #1503 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

We just try to stick to some standards because every now and then we'll get a newbie here who starts spouting out some "hip" internet (or whatever) lingo or jargon that 99% of us don't know what in the he!! they're talking about.

Well, school is almost out for the summer and the kids don't have any homework to keep them occupied...

C U LTR

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!

post #1504 of 1867 Old 05-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

C U LTR

No, it's "C U L8R"! I'm 38 and I know that much!

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #1505 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

LG released their 6th Gen chip at end of 2006:
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/ht...612280032.html
http://www.tvtechnology.com/dlrf/one.php?id=1515
http://news.thomasnet.com/companystory/516849
So it's probably in many LG and other manufacturer's DTV's....

Other 6th Gen chips (also with exceptional performance) have been available
from numerous other manufacturers....on about the same schedule.

Many DTV's manufactured since (second half?) 2007 probably contain 6th Gen
ATSC Demoduators....and probably most manufactured in 2008....after all,
it should be less expensive to use an integrated DTV SoC (System on a Chip)....

They might even be in the newer HD-STBs....
Unfortunately, not many people look inside to confirm....

OFF TOPIC: Anyone have any idea, short of opening up your new LCD HDTV (not an option), how one can determine at least the brand, if not the brand and model number, of the ATSC tuner in a late model HDTV? I'm particularly interested in a Samsung LNT-3253H manufactured in October 2007.
post #1506 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 12:05 PM

My in-laws (aged) want me to use their coupons to get their converters. Does anyone know if I can use their coupons without having my in-laws with me at the store?
post #1507 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

post #1508 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
FAQ #212 deals with members of the same household. But FAQ# 215 says you can get a free coupon from a friend/relative/neighbor. The store will ask the name on the card for verification, and some stores have asked for address, but they do not need to see your ID, per FAQ#274.

Quote:

FAQ 215: Can I transfer the coupon to someone else?
Answer: It is illegal to sell coupons, but giving a coupon for free to a
family member, friend, or neighbor would not be prohibited.

post #1509 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

I have not seen any name on my Coupon's, does an online store or phone order ask for the name that is suppose be match the coupon card?
post #1510 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I believe name and address are in the database when they scan the card at the store. I don't know what they verify online, and there are a couple different processes available to phone and online retailers.
post #1511 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

I have not seen any name on my Coupon's, does an online store or phone order ask for the name that is suppose be match the coupon card?

My in store purchase of a box at ciricuity city with a credit card required no
confirmation of name.

The coupons do not have a name on them.

I placed an order online for my aunt who had ordered a coupon with my
credit card. It went through just fine. so it appears no name matching
here... Shrugh.

and besides according the FAQ you can give them to a friend, I guess the friend wouldnt have your name? :P

post #1512 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

True, but I thought they would still ask to see if you knew whose coupon you had. Or maybe they don't care, since it isn't their job to police it.
post #1513 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

True, but I thought they would still ask to see if you knew whose coupon you had. Or maybe they don't care, since it isn't their job to police it.

This is pure SWAG: the coupon card is basically a "gift card". I would bet that most POS (point of sale) systems treat it as such.
post #1514 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 PM

Although no name is embossed on the $40 coupon for a CECB, it is obviously encoded on the card's magnetic strip. When I picked up a box for my mother at CC with her card, her name was printed on the receipt as the "Cardholder". The sales person didn't ask for the name of the cardholder, even though he knew there was a mismatch with my name, since I paid with my credit card. I expect their only concern with the coupon is that it is VALID so they get credit for its value. They probably throw away the card to prevent someone from trying to reuse a "spent" card, either accidentally or on purpose.
post #1515 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunofyerbisnes View Post

Although no name is embossed on the $40 coupon for a CECB, it is obviously encoded on the card's magnetic strip. When I picked up a box for my mother at CC with her card, her name was printed on the receipt as the "Cardholder". The sales person didn't ask for the name of the cardholder, even though he knew there was a mismatch with my name, since I paid with my credit card. I expect their only concern with the coupon is that it is VALID so they get credit for its value. They probably throw away the card to prevent someone from trying to reuse a "spent" card, either accidentally or on purpose.

I've assumed that, like a credit card, when you use one of these cards, that fact is recorded in the government database, so it CAN'T be reused...

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #1516 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

I've assumed that, like a credit card, when you use one of these cards, that fact is recorded in the government database, so it CAN'T be reused...

Yeah, somewhere on the NTIA coupon website... hmm well actually its the same line.. status you can put the card number in there..and it will say its been spent.
post #1517 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know coupons couldn't be reused/refunded the record for your coupon probably is never deleted in the database just a boolean field saying active is probably updated when it is redeemed.

When you start deleting records from a database it decreases its performance and wastes CPU and memory, it is cheaper to waste storage space.

The credit is probably not instant at the store until reported to the NTIA to batch process the database updates.

The real question is has anyone got a coupon refunded and checked the status to see if it still comes up as not used and is free to use at another retailer?

It does not sound smart to give store credit for the value of the coupon because then you are free to buy whatever you want.
post #1518 of 1867 Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 PM

Liked: 11
Looking to the info at http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/status.html I'm guessing that a little less than 15 million coupons have been requested and that in roughly 30 days they will reach the magic 22.5 million coupon mark.

That's the cut off for households that have cable or satellite TV service.

It will be interesting to see how fast the remaining 11 million (over the air households only) coupons will last and how they will handle issuing coupons based funds made available by expiring unused coupons.
post #1519 of 1867 Old 05-20-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpowell View Post

It will be interesting to see how fast the remaining 11 million (over the air households only) coupons will last and how they will handle issuing coupons based funds made available by expiring unused coupons.

Any stats on the OTA status of current coupon recipients? I figured that nearly everyone would claim OTA-only since there's a $40 upside and no downside (the govt isn't churning though subscriber lists to find cheats). At that level of honesty, I'd expect the 11 million to go just as fast as the rest.

post #1520 of 1867 Old 05-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Looking to the info at http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/status.html I'm guessing that a little less than 15 million coupons have been requested and that in roughly 30 days they will reach the magic 22.5 million coupon mark.

Thanks for the reminder. I just submitted my request for a second coupon. My first coupon expires in early June and haven't been inspired by the reviews of the $50 devices so far. I would like to get Echostar's DTVPal, but I think my first coupon expires before that c0mes out. Target just started selling two models this week (or at least someone there on Saturday said they would), so I'll have to check out what they have.

Neil
post #1521 of 1867 Old 05-20-2008, 11:38 AM

[quote=smpowell;13905216]Looking to the info at http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/status.html I'm guessing that a little less than 15 million coupons have been requested and that in roughly 30 days they will reach the magic 22.5 million coupon mark.

Do they update once a month?
"Digital Television Converter Box Coupon Program Status Update
As of April 21, 2008"
post #1522 of 1867 Old 05-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I got asked nothing when I bought my CECB at Best Buy. I presented the card; she scanned it and gave it back; then I used a gift card for the balance.

57 channels and nothing on
post #1523 of 1867 Old 05-20-2008, 02:02 PM

[quote=DITTOTEX;13908444]
Quote:

Looking to the info at [sorry, forced to snip URL] I'm guessing that a little less than 15 million coupons have been requested and that in roughly 30 days they will reach the magic 22.5 million coupon mark.

Do they update once a month?
"Digital Television Converter Box Coupon Program Status Update
As of April 21, 2008"

There's a "Digital Converter Coupon Statistics by State" URL, but unfortunately I'm not (yet) allowed to post it, so I'll just give you the latest total.

As of 5/16/2008, there were 14,092,025 coupons requested. I think we have more like two months before the 22.5 million mark is reached.
post #1524 of 1867 Old 05-20-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

2 weeks ago it was: 11 million issued, 1 million redemed
post #1525 of 1867 Old 05-21-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post

Thanks for the reminder. I just submitted my request for a second coupon. My first coupon expires in early June and haven't been inspired by the reviews of the $50 devices so far. I would like to get Echostar's DTVPal, but I think my first coupon expires before that c0mes out. Target just started selling two models this week (or at least someone there on Saturday said they would), so I'll have to check out what they have.

Neil

I was @ Target yesterday on long island NY they had GE #22729 & Venturer#STB7766G both @ $47-$49. Don't know anything about them but they seemed smaller than the Insignia NS-DXA1 @ Best Buy
post #1526 of 1867 Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Checked out the Circuit City in Westminster, CO yesterday. Only 3 Zenith units left (they had a huge shelf for them). All of those remaining were of a March 2008 manufacture date (i.e., they have the sound defect), so I didn't purchase any.
post #1527 of 1867 Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Checked out the Circuit City in Westminster, CO yesterday. Only 3 Zenith units left (they had a huge shelf for them). All of those remaining were of a March 2008 manufacture date (i.e., they have the sound defect), so I didn't purchase any.

They will most likely get a warehouse shipment in a few days with the April dated units.
post #1528 of 1867 Old 05-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

I talked to some local store vendors about what boxes they carried. They stocked a box they said was good and didn't or stopped carrying boxes they said didn't work well in the area.

I'm interested in station from two directions at about 50 and 80 miles. What has been people's experience at these distances?
post #1529 of 1867 Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

After the no luck trip to Westminster, CO Circuit City on Tuesday, I first called the Lakewood, CO store on Wednesday morning. Gal answered that they had a lot of Zenith boxes, so I asked her to check to see if any were April manufacture date. She checked and said a bunch of them were.

I went to that Circuit City late Wednesday PM. They must have had 20 boxes of Zenith DTT900s and only a few weren't April builds. I bought two of them with my coupons.

Hooked up one of the Zenith's to an ancient Radio Shack 13" TV that we keep in our 2nd floor home office. With an old variable amp RCA set top UHF/VHF antenna, I got 6 of the 9 stations that I get with my other HDTV tuners and an amplified attic antenna. The Zenith clearly has an excellent tuner, maybe even better than the one in my LNT3253H Samsung LCD HDTV.

I'm very happy with the unit. I even love the "Gort" color eye. My only complaints are with the remote and included cables. First off, you definitely need to point it exactly at the units and TVs IR sensor and you'd better not be too far away. Second issue isn't the remotes fault, but the remote's IR signal for the up-click button matches an OFF signal for the old Radio Shack TV, so whenever I use it, if I'm not careful, I end up turning off the TV. Finally, that included coax cable is a joke. I doubt that it is even RG59 in wire gauge standards and practically has no insulation to speak off. I used it for a little bit before hooking up the composite cables and got a lot of signal breakup that went away when I stopped using it. I strongly recommend to anyone planning on using the RF input to use a good quality RG6 coax cable or at least a good quality RG59. It will really make a difference compared to the coax cable provided by Zenith.
post #1530 of 1867 Old 05-23-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Today is the day that either a large number of coupons will be used or go to waste. I believe a large majority of coupons requested the day the CECB coupon program started have today as their expiration date. I wonder if they'll have a statistic that - unused expired coupons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page