ATSC Converter Box comparisons - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1591 of 1867 Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I wonder how many people who are exclusively cable or sat. (and intend to stay that way) ordered vouchers knowing they had no use for them, but did so anyway either on speculation or simply because they could. I'm afraid when the music stops, those least able to afford the cost of the DTV switchover will be the ones left standing.

Hurricane Wilma knocked out cable for three weeks and many cable subscribers scrounged for rabbit ear antennas so they could receive television news about available resources. Many people really need to be aware that their pay TV service may not be available for them when they most need it and they should make sure they can receive television signals after a calamity hits the area (like an earthquake, hurricane or tornado). Deaf and severely hard of hearing people *really* need to do this since they can't understand the radio and rely even more heavily on television for emergency information. However even they may not think about this and may think they don't really need a converter box at all if they use pay TV services.

Dana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1867 Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobroman View Post

I do not know what it is called..but it happened on 6 different Insignia boxes I tried. I returned all for a refund. Has anyone seen this on the Zenith Box...since it seems to be the same as the Insignia and made by LG.

It's happened multiple times on both the Zenith and Insignia boxes, and I've got pictures of several crashes of both of them. All of the crashes my boxes had happened during commercials or a transition on a PBS station. The crashes didn't happen during regular programming.

I suspect there's an interaction between certain commercials that are being broadcast at the time of the crash, and the CECB. Did anyone get a crash when there wasn't a commercial or some kind of transition (like on PBS)? Take a picture of the crashes when they happen.

Why would commercials cause a crash? One reason is that some commercials use "paint-on" captions and the converter boxes might not be designed to handle those kinds of captions, even if captions are not currently being decoded.

Can anyone think of another reason why only some commercials might cause crashes?

Dana
post #1593 of 1867 Old 06-07-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITTOTEX View Post

The Access HD digital converter boxes has a dedicated or for $10 more a universal remote that has all of these features:

I have one of the Access HD converter boxes (the model DTA-1010-D) and I can NOT recommend it or any of their converter boxes.

The Access boxes have one VERY annoying "feature". Any slight drop out in signal (however brief) results in a popup that gives you a number to call where they try to sell you "a better antenna". The popup is WAY more annoying than the slight picture breakups.

Another "problem" that I found with their boxes is that aspect has to be adjusted when you change between a "main" (720 or 1080) channel and a subchannel (480). Of course, with all these boxes the output is only 480i but I have seen other boxes where you do not have to adjust the aspect ratio when you change channels on matter what the channel is transmitting.

Bill R

post #1594 of 1867 Old 06-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R (# 2) View Post

The Access boxes have one VERY annoying "feature". Any slight drop out in signal (however brief) results in a popup that gives you a number to call where they try to sell you "a better antenna". The popup is WAY more annoying than the slight picture breakups.

Do you have the ability to share a image of this popup?
post #1595 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 03:09 AM

So what's the majority opinion on the best converter box?

RCA? Zenith?

Also wondering, does anyone know if the coupons can be used for antennas too, if the old one doesn't work anymore? Or can they be doubled up on a single more expensive box?
post #1596 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSynth View Post

RCA? Zenith?

Also wondering, does anyone know if the coupons can be used for antennas too, if the old one doesn't work anymore? Or can they be doubled up on a single more expensive box?

The only place I have seen an opinion poll is in the TiVo forum:
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...379790&page=15
Caveat: I cast my vote there for Echostar(still vaporware) a couple months ago and I cannot change my vote.

A comparison of features is shown at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CECB_units

I have used a Zenith DTT900. It seems well designed (well ventilated aluminum case), good user interface. Their DTT901 with Analog PassThrough is just now coming out.

I have also tried a Magnavox TB100MG9. A so-so design (plastic case with some vent holes added as an afterthought?) this has a very poor implementation of Analog PassThrough.

Re: https://www.ntiadtv.gov/ Frequently Asked Questions
One Coupon - One Converter Box (CECB).[period]

An antenna does not care if it is analog or digital TV. It only cares about VHF (2-13) or UHF (14-69). Other factors effecting the antenna can be Broadcast Signal Strength and Broadcast Antenna Location.
post #1597 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:

RCA? Zenith?

Last 2 questions No & no.

First question:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004577
This is a better poll than the tivo poll. When I first saw the tivo 'poll' months ago I found it ludicrous that an unavailable vaporware unit (TR-40) that no one had tested, no reviews, etc. ... was voted 'best' at the time! The co. said it would be cheap $39.99, free after the coupon & supposed to have a 'VCR timer' along w/ EPG. To expect a cable or dish co. to have the best broadcast tuner/converter is a stretch.
Maybe some have experience with electronic products made by this co. (I don't) & feel they are reliable ... no offense intended ...

The best available unit is the Zenith DTT900. The Channel Master CM-7000, Tivax STB-T9, Microgem MG2000 & Microprose MPI-500PT sound very good esp. if they have a feature one wants.
post #1598 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Do you have the ability to share a image of this popup?

Here is the ANNOYING popup that you get on the Access DTA1010D when the signal drops out (even for a split second). According to their "support" person there is no way to disable the popup.
LL

Bill R
post #1599 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R (# 2) View Post

Here is the ANNOYING popup that you get on the Access DTA1010D when the signal drops out (even for a split second). According to their "support" person there is no way to disable the popup.

I could never use a box that had that popup. Unbelievable that they can get away with it on an 'approved' box. You could always take a hammer to it . . .

May the FORK be with you!
post #1600 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
That popup sounds beyond annoying. I would not tolerate it even if they gave away the boxes. Access is on the Wiki list as not being able to add a channel manually, so I already had them crossed off my list. Wiki ought to list the popup as another "negative feature."
post #1601 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you Bill R (# 2)
I had no idea that AccessHD put their Manuals online.
I could have just looked there to find the two popups

I wounder if Tivax and MicroGEM also have something like this.
Your DTA1010D also has a upgrade port but tough luck getting a update to change it.
post #1602 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
> According to their "support" person there is no way to disable the popup.

The pop-up includes an 800 number. Everyone with this box should call
the 800 number every time the pop-up happens, and request a firmware
update that allows disabling the pop-up.
post #1603 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A pop up is bad enough, but a pop up with a spelling error ("Plesse") is even worse.
post #1604 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualsensation View Post

A pop up is bad enough, but a pop up with a spelling error ("Plesse") is even worse.

I can't stand pop-ups either. My Dish HD DVR, with ATSC tuner, has one that really gets me. When you play back a recording from the antenna, if the signal was lost even for a split second, the box has a pop-up that tells you part of the recording was lost because of signal loss. Well that pop-up lasts 5 seconds. I miss more of the show because of it than the signal loss. What were these people thinking? It's not like I can't tell there was a glitch just by watching the show.
post #1605 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cia_viewer View Post

The only place I have seen an opinion poll is in the TiVo forum:
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...379790&page=15
Caveat: I cast my vote there for Echostar(still vaporware) a couple months ago and I cannot change my vote.

A comparison of features is shown at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CECB_units

I have used a Zenith DTT900. It seems well designed (well ventilated aluminum case), good user interface. Their DTT901 with Analog PassThrough is just now coming out.

I have also tried a Magnavox TB100MG9. A so-so design (plastic case with some vent holes added as an afterthought?) this has a very poor implementation of Analog PassThrough.

Re: https://www.ntiadtv.gov/ Frequently Asked Questions
One Coupon - One Converter Box (CECB).[period]

An antenna does not care if it is analog or digital TV. It only cares about VHF (2-13) or UHF (14-69). Other factors effecting the antenna can be Broadcast Signal Strength and Broadcast Antenna Location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVette View Post

First question:
This is a better poll than the tivo poll. When I first saw the tivo 'poll' months ago I found it ludicrous that an unavailable vaporware unit (TR-40) that no one had tested, no reviews, etc. ... was voted 'best' at the time! The co. said it would be cheap $39.99, free after the coupon & supposed to have a 'VCR timer' along w/ EPG. To expect a cable or dish co. to have the best broadcast tuner/converter is a stretch.
Maybe some have experience with electronic products made by this co. (I don't) & feel they are reliable ... no offense intended ...

The best available unit is the Zenith DTT900. The Channel Master CM-7000, Tivax STB-T9, Microgem MG2000 & Microprose MPI-500PT sound very good esp. if they have a feature one wants.

tyvm guys

By need new antenna, I meant if the tuner wasn't as sensitive as the old analog one. Are these new tuners pretty sensitive? I live near the outskirts of the broadcast radius for the broadcast channels. Mountains don't make the situation any better. My current antenna is about 14 feet off of the ground & I still only get one or two stations decently. Will digital signals carry farther/stronger?

My coupons are set to expire in about 2 weeks. Do you think I should get that Zenith box now; Or let them expire and re-request some later to buy the next generation of converter boxes? Will they continue to get any more sensitive?

Thanks
post #1606 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My coupons are set to expire in about 2 weeks. Do you think I should get that Zenith box now; Or let them expire and re-request some later to buy the next generation of converter boxes?

If you let your coupons expire the NTIA will not let you re-request more as I understand it.
You will have to get your replacement coupons from a friend or family member.

You might have time seeing how your coupons expire in about 2 weeks to get either the DTVPal* or Zenith DTT901*
and if the NTIA approves the MicroProse MPI-500PT* that all have Analog PassThru

You did not say if you have any channels that will not make the switch to digital or
need to daisy chain any devices so you might need the PassThu feature.

If you need PassThru you can wait for around the last day your coupons expire and buy and exchange for something you do want as they should begin stocking before your time allowed to exchange expires - typically 30days.

RadioShack said they will be stocking the Zenith DTT901* and I am sure the other retailers selling the current DTT900 will also.
It is the DTVPal* people are not sure where to buy from yet.

I my self ordered the DTVPal and am wanting the MicroProse that is like the Zenith but has a external power supply.
post #1607 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 20
I don't think they'll get any more sensitive. Not 'till the next generation of chips come out anyway, and that won't be for a good, long while. And even then there's no assurance that those will actually be "more sensitive".

If you need the pass-thru and the exp. clock is ticking, but the Zenith or DTVPal aren't available yet, many Radio Shacks have got the new Digital Stream in. Depending on which features are most important to you, it could even be the better choice.
post #1608 of 1867 Old 06-09-2008, 06:39 PM

To me the pop-up is more than justification for decertification of all AccessHD cecbs. The NTIA should decertify all AccessHD CECBs for embedding a commercial in a piece of Hardware without disclosure.
post #1609 of 1867 Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The Memorex MVCB1000 with analog pass-through clone of the Tivax STB-T9 may now be available at your local Rite Aid Drug Store for $59.99. I just got this ad today in a Rite Aid circular enclosed with my local newspaper showing the Memorex box.

post #1610 of 1867 Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

I wounder if Tivax and MicroGEM also have something like this.
Your DTA1010D also has a upgrade port but tough luck getting a update to change it.

Tivax box doesn't have anything like this at all - at least mine doesn't!
post #1611 of 1867 Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:

tyvm guys

By need new antenna, I meant if the tuner wasn't as sensitive as the old analog one. Are these new tuners pretty sensitive? I live near the outskirts of the broadcast radius for the broadcast channels. Mountains don't make the situation any better. My current antenna is about 14 feet off of the ground & I still only get one or two stations decently. Will digital signals carry farther/stronger?

My coupons are set to expire in about 2 weeks. Do you think I should get that Zenith box now; Or let them expire and re-request some later to buy the next generation of converter boxes? Will they continue to get any more sensitive?

Thanks

One step at a time. Try out a CECB with your existing system, first.

I think success or failure of an antenna is difficult to predict.

If I had 'live' coupons now, I would get at least one Zenith DTT901.

Replacement of expired coupons is a 'Pipe Dream'!

I have also learned that returning a CECB for any kind of credit or exchange DOES NOT HAPPEN!
post #1612 of 1867 Old 06-10-2008, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

If I had 'live' coupons now, I would get at least one Zenith DTT901.

You would ? Please tell me where. My patents have two coupons expiring on the 16th and the DTT900 is all I have seen or know to be currently available.
post #1613 of 1867 Old 06-10-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 View Post

You would ? Please tell me where. My patents have two coupons expiring on the 16th and the DTT900 is all I have seen or know to be currently available.

East of the Mississippi, Radio Shack might have them.

In Colorado, Radio Shack is getting in DigitalStream DTX9950. (purported to be a clone of the Zenith DTT901) The local Radio Shack said they are accepting orders to be sent directly to the customer's home. They were expecting 24 DTX9950s to arrive in the store the following Friday. The 'home delivery' seemed to be a frequent practice for CECBs.

Circuit City should start selling Zenith DTT901.

Both of these are supposed to have Analog PassThrough.
post #1614 of 1867 Old 06-10-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVette View Post

First question:

If the TR-40 is consistent with the the ATSC tuner capability in current EchoStar receivers, then I think a lot of people waiting for them will be disappointed. I just had Dish hook up brand new 211 and 222 receivers in my house and the ATSC tuners in both of them aren't as sensitive as the tuner in my 3 year old LG LST3200A, much less the 6 month old Samsung LCD HDTV I have or the Zenith DTT900, which is clearly my best ATSC receiver. All of these receivers use the same signal source. The new Dish receivers are only a little better at locking tough signals than was my 5 year old Dish 811. Obviously factors other than the quality and capability of the tuner are driving the rah rah for the TR-40.
post #1615 of 1867 Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_signal View Post

The Memorex MVCB1000 with analog pass-through clone of the Tivax STB-T9 may now be available at your local Rite Aid Drug Store for $59.99. I just got this ad today in a Rite Aid circular enclosed with my local newspaper showing the Memorex box.

Sorry. I don't care who actually makes the box, but I will never trust anything with the name Memorex on it. They make and sell the cheapest, worst junk imaginable. Everyone I know who has ever bought anything electronic by them was lucky to have it last even a full month.
post #1616 of 1867 Old 06-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Radio Shack is getting in DigitalStream DTX9950. (purported to be a clone of the Zenith DTT901).

Circuit City should start selling Zenith DTT901.

Both of these are supposed to have Analog PassThrough.

Thanks for the response but to set the record straight the DTX9950 is hardly a clone of the DTT901 unless Zenith is switching to a Thomson tuner. I own a DTX9950 (Thomson) and a DTT900 (LG tuner). Both do share the LG DT1111D System On Chip but the DTX has a Hynix 256MB SDRAM module where the DTT uses a Qimonda.

All of the Circuit City stores close to me are well stocked with DTT900s so I do not expect the DTT901s to show up before the coupons expire.
post #1617 of 1867 Old 06-10-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi...I'm curious whether anyone else has had a problem after clicking on a link provided above by Malouff in his signature (shown here):

...when I clicked on the DTVPal link, it took a VERY long time downloading, and when I tried to play it in Windows Media Player, the program froze (i.e., churned and churned with nothing happening) and hasn't been functional since and, in addition, when I later tried to send email using Outlook Express, IT did the same thing...I had to force both programs to close down using the Windows Task Manager. This has never happened before and continues to occur even if I close everything and restart my computer.....BUMMER!!!
(I don't know if it's a coincidence that both programs that are dysfunctional are part of the Windows package.)

anyway, thought I'd ask if anyone else had trouble (I DO NOT suggest you go and try that link yourself), though I have no idea why things froze when I tried to play that...or why my computer continues to be screwed up...

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #1618 of 1867 Old 06-11-2008, 02:57 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Thanks for the heads up. Are your firewall and antivirus software up to date? Run a virus scan.

HTPC With OTA only, HD with Surround is so AWESOME!
post #1619 of 1867 Old 06-11-2008, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

avnstf those two audio files don't have a virus.
I scanned them using VirusTotal that uses 32 different scanners and they were clean.

Perhaps your registry is corrupted.
You could try something like Advanced WindowsCare
That or you got something from somewhere else and either need to run a Antivirus or AntiMalware scanner.

Once you get the problem fixed or do a clean install you might want to use something like RollBack RX
or eaz-fix to always protect your computer.

I do know that Giveaway of the Day was giving eaz-fix for FREE on January 25, 2008 they might again but I don't know when.

VirusTotal Question DTVPal.pdf 187.5224609375k . file

VirusTotal Digital Transistion.pdf 186.484375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VirusTotal Digital Transistion.pdf (186.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: pdf VirusTotal Question DTVPal.pdf (187.5 KB, 45 views)
post #1620 of 1867 Old 06-11-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi...sorry about the red flag...even after 2 restarts yesterday those programs weren't working, so I left that message. Then I downloaded Thunderbird as the alternative to outlook express, but didn't get around to installing it...

Today I turned on my computer and the problem cleared...ironically, yesterday was the day normally scheduled for a full system scan, and - for some reason - it didn't start....I'll start it manually later today...but still have no real idea what was going on...

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page